Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Joe Foss died 1/1/03

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Joe Foss died 1/1/03 Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Joe Foss died 1/1/03 - 1/4/2003 10:42:54 PM   
victor semensi

Joe Foss, 87
WWII ace, 1st AFL commissioner
(By Dennis McLellan, Los Angeles Times)
LOS ANGELES - Joe Foss, a fighter pilot legend of World War II, governor of South Dakota, and the influential first commissioner of the old American Football League, died Wednesday in a nursing facility in Scottsdale, Ariz. He was 87.

AMERICAN ACE: THE JOE FOSS STORY

Joe Foss – World War II ace, Medal of Honor winner, governor, football commissioner, TV show host, business executive – is one of South Dakota’s most famous sons.

His story is the focus of AMERICAN ACE: THE JOE FOSS STORY, a production of South Dakota Public Television.

Foss, born to a South Dakota farm family in 1915, fell in love with airplanes as a boy. After his father died, this young man, still in his teens, put his dreams away to keep the family farm running. When his younger brother took over, he went on to college and learned to fly. He joined the Marines, and earned his wings at age 26, but was told he was too old to be a fighter pilot. But Foss persevered, getting his chance just months after Pearl Harbor.

Foss proved himself over Guadalcanal. In just six weeks, he shot down 23 Japanese planes. A couple of months later, he added three more. He earned international fame and the Medal of Honor.

After the war, he returned to South Dakota, starting a business, running for office and becoming Governor in 1955. His next claim to fame was as the first Commissioner of the American Football League. He went on to host two popular sports shows for television, excel as a business executive and support many charities and organizations.

AMERICAN ACE: THE JOE FOSS STORY is supported in part by a grant from the South Dakota Humanities Council, an affiliate of the National Endowment for the Humanities. Viewer’s Guides and Teacher’s Guides are available from SDPB’s Educational Services by calling 1-800-456-0766 or e-mailing [email]edservices@sdpb.org[/email].
Post #: 1
- 1/5/2003 8:16:59 AM   
CCB

[IMG]http://www.leisuregalleries.com/hiel3.jpg[/IMG]

Peux Ce Que Veux
in den vereinigten staaten hergestellt

(in reply to victor semensi)
Post #: 2
- 1/5/2003 9:16:02 AM   
Raindog101

We all learned on 9/11/01, that men like Joe Foss are the real American Heroes. Not rock stars, athletes with venereal decease, rappers, race pimps like Jesse Jackson, political whores like Babs Striesand, gangsta’s, AIDS sufferers, or any other moral degenerate the media seems to love.

Where in the hell are we going to get the next Joe Foss?

(in reply to victor semensi)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Joe Foss died 1/1/03 Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote