Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Shadows

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Shadows Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 3:39:59 AM   
Spacecadet

So, the Range on that .43 Sectors looks like this:

Not terribly impressive, is it?

Attachment (1)

CPU: Intel 2700K
RAM: 16 GB
GPU: GTX 970
Res: 1920 x 1200

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 91
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 3:43:38 AM   
Spacecadet

How about a "Flying Gas Can" Explorer?

This is essentially the largest size Explorer that can be built at this point in the game.
Note the 10 Fuel Cell maximization here.

Again, note that the full capacity (Speed) of the Warp Bubble is not even being used here in order to maximize the Fuel Cell capacity.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Spacecadet -- 5/22/2013 2:28:54 PM >

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 92
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 3:48:40 AM   
Spacecadet

And the Range Circle for our "Flying Gas Can" ?

Here we are:

Definitely better, but we still don't even cover a full Sector.

Considering the trip there and back, we essentially have a Range of .405 or less Sectors.
We're definitely not going to be uncovering the secrets of the Galaxy any time soon with this type of performance

. . . and for this quick demo, it took me slightly over 20 years to even have the Warp Bubble . . .

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Spacecadet -- 5/22/2013 3:59:52 AM >

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 93
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 5:56:39 AM   
Kayoz

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spacecadet
Hmmm, typically I was seeing most of the Empires grouped together along one edge of the map.

To me, there's a world of difference.

It's not perfect, but to me it's been much improved.

7 out of 15 all along the top edge of the map. Not quite "most", but no better than DW:L as I can see.

“That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence.” ― Christopher Hitchens

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 94
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 8:46:48 AM   
Kruos

quote:

ORIGINAL: Kayoz

quote:

Hmmm, typically I was seeing most of the Empires grouped together along one edge of the map.

7 out of 15 all along the top edge of the map. Not quite "most", but no better than DW:L as I can see.

quote:

I agree, it is difficult to see any improvment in the distribution shown above. However, it could still be pleasant to play. But it could be nice to have an option allowing a homogenous distribution thought the galaxy.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 95
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 9:16:58 AM   
Bingeling

quote:

quote:

Have anyone ever tried to compare the "two average, the rest distant" option to just having random AI generation?

I can't help thinking that if the game is too good at spreading things around, the game becomes predictable. It must be possible to end up close to others (but not in the same system).

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 96
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 9:25:54 AM   
feelotraveller

Actually it is somewhat better than I've generally seen in RoTS and Legends.  Which is not to say that it could not be further improved...

For best results from distance settings (other than random) place yourself centrally.  The worst results often come with setting many empires distant and ending up with your home system halfway towards one of the corners of the map.

I suspect the real intention of the settings is to allow you to manipulate one or two empires into being close to or far away from you and not on setting everyone far away. 

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 97
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 9:31:40 AM   
Kruos

quote:

ORIGINAL: feelotraveller
I suspect the real intention of the settings is to allow you to manipulate one or two empires into being close to or far away from you and not on setting everyone far away. 

I think so too.

An option allowing a homogenous distribution thought the galaxy would be very appreciated I think. But maybe the algorythm of the galaxy generation is not so flexible and it is not as easy as it looks.

(in reply to feelotraveller)
Post #: 98
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 9:56:20 AM   
joeyeti

A (wild) question also is if the distribution of empires takes into account rough resource availability for each?

But I might be overguessing here :)

Joe

(in reply to Kruos)
Post #: 99
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 2:35:31 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

quote:

Don't forget there are Independents and Pirates in the mix as well.

These won't show up in this Map picture, and in fact, I had to go into the Editor and mark the AI Empires as "Explored" just to get those to show up.

(in reply to Kayoz)
Post #: 100
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 2:44:32 PM   
Spacecadet

quote:

ORIGINAL: joeyeti

A (wild) question also is if the distribution of empires takes into account rough resource availability for each?

But I might be overguessing here :)

Depending on Habitability settings, I think critical Strategic resources are fairly well distributed throughout the Galaxy.

Habitability is going to determine the total number of possible critical resources I believe (which affects difficulty).

Now Luxury resources are another issue.
It seems to me that some of the less common (not rare or unique) Luxury resources are not as prevalent as before.

I also get the impression that Fuel sources are a bit tighter now as well, but I haven't confirmed it.

(in reply to joeyeti)
Post #: 101
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 2:49:53 PM   
Bingeling

I have looked a bit at luxuries in my AAR, since constructors are bored (and the AI wants 6 more ;-).

I don't have large properties, but I for sure don't have access to "all" luxuries. Nor that I have a luxury shortage, but there is no glut.

Is that new? Dunno, I am not used to manual constructors (but I am starting to like that).

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 102
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 3:02:53 PM   
Spacecadet

I'm thinking Luxuries like Falijain Spice, Megalos Nut, Jade, some of the Water based ones, and even Wiconium(?) may be slightly less common.

Maybe they've just been getting generated in other parts of the Galaxy than I've been

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 103
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 6:05:36 PM   
Plant

quote:

While we're waiting for more news on the release, I mentioned that Empire distribution had been tweaked.

Here's a typical view of how Empire distribution currently looks.

The settings for this game start up were two at "Average" distance, and the rest at "Distant", of course this doesn't include Independents that become Empires, but I think you can get a rough idea of what to expect with Shadows

Oh, I am very disappointed. I was hoping that the empires can be more evenly distributed. 5 next to each other, and another 5 way too far from any other.

(in reply to Spacecadet)
Post #: 104
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 6:26:51 PM   
ASHBERY76

Did the developer actually mention this was improved or did you presume?

I usually get a better spread in Legends.

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 105
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/22/2013 6:27:45 PM   
w1p

I think people are becoming confused with Spacecadet's empire distribution example.

In my experience, when you set other races to be distant or average distances away, they tended to all group up. The only way to have empires fairly evenly spaced would be to leave it all on random.

To me, it seems that Shadows' has improved this distribution system by quite a large amount!

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 106
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/24/2013 3:35:24 AM   
Tanaka

quote:

ORIGINAL: w1p

I think people are becoming confused with Spacecadet's empire distribution example.

In my experience, when you set other races to be distant or average distances away, they tended to all group up. The only way to have empires fairly evenly spaced would be to leave it all on random.

To me, it seems that Shadows' has improved this distribution system by quite a large amount!

Yes agreed set all Empires to Random and they seem to be a little better distributed now with Pirates mixed up in between.

< Message edited by Tanaka -- 5/24/2013 4:09:59 AM >

(in reply to w1p)
Post #: 107
RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Sha... - 5/24/2013 3:53:42 AM   
Spacecadet

I'm curious to see others impressions on this fix, as it's one that I really begged to have implemented

Still hoping for some additional tweaking, but I really do think it's better than previous versions.

If somebody has just up through Legends installed, it'd be interesting to see what a typical spread is with the settings I use for the pic I posted.

(in reply to Tanaka)
Post #: 108
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: DW : Shadows - notes as an Empire in the Age of Shadows Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI