Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Back to basics

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Back to basics Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Back to basics - 1/5/2003 10:08:38 PM   
Tomanbeg

I'm looking for one or two players to play a pure game or two. By pure I mean as Matrix designed it. No rules, just right. Custom map, any size. ALL switches on and all settings at 100% Computer selection of forces. I don't expect any takers, but if you don't ask, you won't know. You choose map, points, sides and date. I will select which country I want. Then we can butt heads. Two vetern commanders thrown into the battle minutes before the attack to replace a fallen leader.
T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
– The Cairo daily Akhbar el Yom, Oct. 12, 1963.
[IMG]http
Post #: 1
- 1/6/2003 3:34:18 AM   
Redleg

I really like one thing. Your idea that one player defines the battle and the chooses the side. That is great. Keeps 'em honest. ;)

The only thing stopping me from taking your challenge is the crazy artillery in SPWAW. Set artillery to 50% against hard and soft targets and I'll go for it.

I just cannot stand the massive artillery bombardment battles.

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 2
- 1/6/2003 7:33:01 AM   
Squirmer

I'm up for it.

How about 9/43 GE vs SO on that "sea of grass" map with the Titty bar? 8,000 points, vis 20-30. Or alternatively 12,000 points BR vs GE, 4/45 on the Happy Valley map? Nice maps BTW :)

Hopefully since the computer selects the forces there won't be a problem with arty overload. Not that I've ever tried it ...

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 3
- 1/6/2003 7:39:36 AM   
VikingNo2

I'm interested, can we just do a random map?

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 4
computer selection - 1/6/2003 11:34:42 AM   
Tomanbeg

By having the computer select the units there is wery little chance of massive amounts of arty. As far as I've seen, the Computer tends to lean toward infantry units. And in the half a dozen games I've played like this I have yet to see a FO get bought. I supposed it could happen, although I'm begining to think it won't. No FO means no .1 delay for the Ami's.
T.

"The 15th May, 1948, arrived ... On that day the mufti of Jerusalem appealed to the Arabs of Palestine to leave the country, because the Arab armies were about to enter and fight in their stead."
[IMG]http

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 5
Me Too! - 1/6/2003 11:50:28 AM   
Tomanbeg

Originally posted by Redleg
[B]I really like one thing. Your idea that one player defines the battle and the chooses the side. That is great. Keeps 'em honest. ;)

The only thing stopping me from taking your challenge is the crazy artillery in SPWAW. Set artillery to 50% against hard and soft targets and I'll go for it.

I just cannot stand the massive artillery bombardment battles. [/B]

This is my way of avoiding long negoiations that I end up losing. And then I wind up fighting battles I have no chance of winning. Dunnigan was correct when he pointed out that 90% of battles are won or lost before they start. By having the computer select the forces, there shouldn't be massive amounts of arty. I have never seen a full battallion selected by the computer. And the Air Strike numbers can be fudged with the weather selector. I've played a few games like this and found that the computer does a pretty good job of balancing the sides. And if one player just has to have Flame throwing vehicles or some unit of which only 50 were produced, they can order them as reinforcements and pay the price.
T.

[IMG]http

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 6
- 1/6/2003 12:04:26 PM   
Redleg

Good point but not long ago, I played an on-line battle where my opponent got only infantry and I was given all armor.

It was a strange battle that I won but was not something I would want to do again.

If one player sets up the battle proposal and the other chooses sides as you advocate, it is similar to one kid cutting the cake in half and the other choosing the piece. It works very well. That's my way of trying to accomplish what you are speaking about.

(in reply to Tomanbeg)
Post #: 7
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Opponents Wanted >> Back to basics Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI