Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Deal of the Week...great deals!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 7/28/2014 2:58:36 PM   
rickier65

Yes. This is excellent game and there are some player created scenarios as well. I have the first two, but I will be picking up Greece this week as well.

Thanks
Rick

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 301
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 7/28/2014 3:10:51 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Rick

Yes. This is excellent game and there are some player created scenarios as well. I have the first two, but I will be picking up Greece this week as well.

Thanks
Rick

Alright Rick, we are on the same page.

Patrick

(in reply to rickier65)
Post #: 302
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 7/28/2014 3:50:36 PM   
gexmex

I'm in for Greece as well! Matrix is draining my wallet!!

They could get some hate mail from the missus....

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 303
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 7/28/2014 4:16:14 PM   
wodin

Just got Greece for around £4.50 with my $10 coupon aswell.

(in reply to gexmex)
Post #: 304
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 7/28/2014 7:15:50 PM   
Werewolf13

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Just got Greece for around £4.50 with my $10 coupon aswell.

Heading to the store to pick up Greece when I noticed the above.

$10 coupon???? Where does one get a $10 coupon. That'd bring Greece down to $4.99!!!!

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 305
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 7/29/2014 12:41:56 PM   
wodin

If you own COTA you put the COTA serial number in the coupon box:)

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 306
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 7/29/2014 2:16:33 PM   
Ranger33

Time to get Greece for me as well!

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 307
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 7/29/2014 6:41:09 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: gexmex

I'm in for Greece as well! Matrix is draining my wallet!!

They could get some hate mail from the missus....

It could be worse...

(in reply to gexmex)
Post #: 308
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/4/2014 7:06:59 PM   
wings7

This week's deal "Napoleon in Italy" makes it's second appearance on Deal of the Week. A very interesting period in history and a very historical game. Random events for good replay ability, an editor and guided tutorial (for players like me!)...definitely a good buy.

I would like to see these games in future Deal of the Week:
1. Battle of Britain II - Wings of Victory
2. Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue
3. Espana 1936
4. Field of Glory and add-ons
5. Frozen Synapse
6. Gary Grigsby's Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich
7. Strategic War in Europe
8. WW2: Time of Wrath
None of these games have been on the Deal of the Week yet.
Happy Gaming Everyone!

Patrick

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 309
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/11/2014 12:55:09 PM   
wings7

This week's deal "Revolution Under Siege" makes it's second appearance on the Deal of the week. It is a wonderful and compelling historical game of the Russian Civil War form 1917 to 1923 and an excellent buy. It also got good reviews...it's a no-brainer purchase!

Patrick

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 310
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/11/2014 8:47:07 PM   
Hertston

+1 on Revolution Under Siege. I wouldn't say it's the 'best' of the AGEOD games (that would be Alea Jacta Est IMHO), but it's certainly the most interesting to play, again IMHO obviously.

Not sure about some of the deal of the week candidates, though. Stuff like Time of Wrath and Frozen Synapse needs a permanent price drop as everyone else is practically giving them away. On the other hand, Case Blue and Eagle Day would be insta-buys for me.

My personal choice would be Hornet Leader as I'm currently well into the Phantom and Thunderbolt/Apache boardgames, but I'm probably in a small minority on that one!

< Message edited by Hertston -- 8/11/2014 9:47:51 PM >

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 311
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/11/2014 10:59:31 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

+1 on Revolution Under Siege. I wouldn't say it's the 'best' of the AGEOD games (that would be Alea Jacta Est IMHO), but it's certainly the most interesting to play, again IMHO obviously.

Not sure about some of the deal of the week candidates, though. Stuff like Time of Wrath and Frozen Synapse needs a permanent price drop as everyone else is practically giving them away. On the other hand, Case Blue and Eagle Day would be insta-buys for me.

My personal choice would be Hornet Leader as I'm currently well into the Phantom and Thunderbolt/Apache boardgames, but I'm probably in a small minority on that one!

Yes, Hornet Leader is one that I would purchase also. Do you play other board wargames? Who is that for your avatar?

Patrick

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 312
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/12/2014 12:32:46 PM   
Hertston

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

Do you play other board wargames? Who is that for your avatar?

Patrick

Rarely 'proper' wargames other than solo these days due to scarcity of opponents. I play others with my family though; Firefly, Race for the Galaxy, Arkham Horror and such.

The avatar is Art Tatum, the god of jazz piano and a personal hero of mine.

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 313
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/14/2014 4:58:48 AM   
DanSez

Yes I give Revolutions Under Siege a strong thumbs up too. I have spent many good hours playing PBEM. A very under-represented period in history as well.

I also would like to see the Eagle's Day to Bombing the Reich go on sale. I bought the original Battle of Britain way back in the Talonsoft days. No clue how these decisions get made so tossing in a vote if they are to be counted.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 314
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/14/2014 12:59:42 PM   
wings7

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Yes I give Revolutions Under Siege a strong thumbs up too. I have spent many good hours playing PBEM. A very under-represented period in history as well.

I also would like to see the Eagle's Day to Bombing the Reich go on sale. I bought the original Battle of Britain way back in the Talonsoft days. No clue how these decisions get made so tossing in a vote if they are to be counted.

Dan, I'm keeping a list of what has been on sale for the "Deal of the Week". I think all of the games they have published should be on the sale over time and Eagle's Day to Bombing the Reich has not been on sale yet. Hopefully it will in the future.

Patrick

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 315
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/18/2014 1:22:31 PM   
wings7

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: DanSez

Dan, I'm keeping a list of what has been on sale for the "Deal of the Week". I think all of the games they have published should be on the sale over time and Eagle's Day to Bombing the Reich has not been on sale yet. Hopefully it will in the future.

Patrick

The future is now!

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 316
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/18/2014 1:30:29 PM   
wings7

This week's deal "Gary Grigsby’s Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich" makes it's debut on Deal of the Week! I've been waiting for this one for quite awhile...Thank You! I didn't realize it was one of Talonsoft's games, Talonsoft really introduced me to modern (today's) computer war gaming ...you've got one week to jump on this one!

Patrick

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 317
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/18/2014 2:50:32 PM   
DanSez

Well it looks like someone was listening -- I am certainly going to pick it up. Hope a few more do too.

Yes Talonsoft had some great games
Veliki Luki (sp?)
Normandy Invasion

and I believe that the Campaign Series East Front/West Front and Rising Sun were Talonsoft too in the beginning
(John Tiller's version on this site has recently been updated)

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 318
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/18/2014 10:56:40 PM   
Hertston

Tally ho chaps!

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 319
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/19/2014 1:20:38 AM   
Rosseau

$10 - maybe. I read every thread on this game and nothing remotely convinced me of considering a purchase. Even the guys who really knew their stuff had a difficult time figuring out any kind of coherent strategy. Even hot-seating it showed no pattern but some bugs. Matrix doesn't deserve $1 on this one. It just ain't right

But please, feel free to prove me wrong on this.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 320
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/19/2014 7:19:33 PM   
histgamer

The first game I think I asked for when the deals started... YES PLEASE!
quote:

This week's deal "Gary Grigsby’s Eagle Day to Bombing the Reich" makes it's debut on Deal of the Week! I've been waiting for this one for quite awhile...Thank You! I didn't realize it was one of Talonsoft's games, Talonsoft really introduced me to modern (today's) computer war gaming ...you've got one week to jump on this one!

Patrick

(in reply to wings7)
Post #: 321
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/19/2014 8:09:37 PM   
Qwixt

The complaints about the UI and a promised patch that never was delivered has me leery of getting it.

(in reply to histgamer)
Post #: 322
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/19/2014 9:24:04 PM   
Rosseau

Any feedback from those who buy it would be of interest, I am sure. Thanks.

(in reply to Qwixt)
Post #: 323
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/20/2014 1:42:45 PM   
DanSez

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

Any feedback from those who buy it would be of interest, I am sure. Thanks.

Real world demands are eating up all my time at the moment.
I do freelance/contract work for marketing research database companies, which means some days are very long and some days I am mostly free. Knowing which day is which is a roll of the dice.
Any spare game time has been absorbed in 2 current PBEM War in the Pacific-AE (short scenario) games. I enjoy the dept and "micromanagement" of games like WitPAE so "staff planning" games like BoB/BtR (as I remembered it) are the types of games I look for.

That doesn't mean I don't appreciate better tools and interfaces to manage data. I am sure there are a number of improvements that could/should be made. Getting time to give a thorough review might be hard to find this week. But, download completed - hope to get it installed tonight and look over the game.

< Message edited by DanSez -- 8/20/2014 2:47:30 PM >

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 324
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/20/2014 2:09:20 PM   
gradenko2k

Bombing the Reich is an okay game if you're planning to play as the British in the BoB scenario, but I couldn't really recommend the rest of the other sides. The game has zero inclination to tell you what you should be doing, nor will it tell you how to accomplish it and it's difficult to ascertain how effective you are.

It just throws you into the deep end of the pool of several dozen squadrons of different plane types and expects you to puzzle out the rest from there. That it's a Gary Grigsby game seems to imply that you should be paying attention to even the littlest of doctrinal details (what IS proper strategic bombing doctrine? The manual doesn't say!), such as plotting your Initial Points around easily identifiable river bends, but who knows if that makes an actual difference?

The one redeeming aspect is playing as the Brits since it's straightforward enough that you need to destroy bombers and you need to keep a positive kill ratio, but even playing as the Germans in the Bombing the Reich scenario will drown you in production minutia.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 325
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/20/2014 3:31:46 PM   
bairdlander2

Its like this

Attachment (1)

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 326
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/20/2014 10:23:23 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

Its like this

One of my all time favourite games. And the first computer strategy game that I bought (if my memory serves).

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 327
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/21/2014 9:02:19 PM   
DanSez

quote:

ORIGINAL: rosseau

$10 - maybe. I read every thread on this game and nothing remotely convinced me of considering a purchase. Even the guys who really knew their stuff had a difficult time figuring out any kind of coherent strategy. Even hot-seating it showed no pattern but some bugs. Matrix doesn't deserve $1 on this one. It just ain't right

But please, feel free to prove me wrong on this.

Sadly you maybe right on this.
It looks like there is little to no residual support, some promised patches never appeared and getting some basic user created support files posted on the message board so that late buyers like me can catch up is not being supported either.

I made the purchase as a nostalgia buy and I did play it a lot back in the day so I expect the "newer" patches will have done some improvements. My work load doesn't allow me much time to investigate at the moment but I didn't want to duck your honest question about the condition of the game.

I'm still in the hopeful category that I will get a few hours of fun out of it.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 328
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/21/2014 9:58:17 PM   
Rosseau

I think there is one reworked map you can still download from the Matrix mod thread. It just doesn't work with my discretionary income at the moment :)

My hopes are on Order of Battle Pacific.

(in reply to DanSez)
Post #: 329
RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! - 8/21/2014 10:21:27 PM   
DanSez

hey there is a little life over there --

I posted a request for an old user created "tracker" program and the kind cohimbra replied with a link -- but there are apparently issues with the game still.

Too bad a few good folks don't take more interest in this game: like with the heavily reworked efforts on the John Tiller's Campaign Series - keeping a good game alive and going.

The community for WitP-AE is very active too and 5 years after it was released there are new scenarios and mods being worked on even as I type.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 330
Page:   <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Deal of the Week...great deals! Page: <<   < prev  9 10 [11] 12 13   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI