Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

new player question about expansions...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> new player question about expansions... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
new player question about expansions... - 6/1/2013 10:26:23 PM   
Snee

It appears reading about the game that you need to buy expansions for not just new features, but things that appear mostly to be refinements and bug fixes.

Is this really true?

Can one play the base game or is one better off plunking down the $70 bucks for the whole thing to get a less frustrating product?

I've played everything from Reach for the stars to VGA planets, Moo2. etc, so I'm not afraid of complexity, but it seems like starting out slow might be best, if that weren't potentially buggy and generally contraindicated.

What do you all suggest?

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: new player question about expansions... - 6/1/2013 10:36:28 PM   
Bingeling

There is a decent bundle going on now.

A whole lot of the expansions is refinements and rather general features. New patches for the older versions are more about crashes and basic bugs, I guess. But all versions of the game have given me loads of fun.

I think I would at minimum get the first expansion, as it adds quite a few new things to the gui. But each expansion improves the game quite nicely, and with the bundle, it is maybe just as well go with the current offer and get them all.

I don't think it is harder to start with Shadows, especially since there is quite a lot of new players now, and a nice sticky about how to set up an easy game. So the only catch with getting all is the price.

(in reply to Snee)
Post #: 2
RE: new player question about expansions... - 6/1/2013 10:36:35 PM   
henri51

Unlesss you are tight for money, i would recommend getting the whole set. Like you, I had not played the game before, but figured it was worth it for the (apparently) improved user interface, AI and graphics. Because it has been a number of years, and the game was so well received, I don't think that bugs are a major consideration for this decision.

Henri

(in reply to Snee)
Post #: 3
RE: new player question about expansions... - 6/2/2013 4:16:26 AM   
WCG

I passed up this game previously, because it was so expensive to get started. But the Shadows expansion, where you can start as a pre-warp civilization confined to a single planet, particularly appealed to me. And the bundle was 40% off.

It was still $70, so it was a close call. I would never have bought it at full price, because you never know if you're going to like a game before you play it. And in order to play the Shadows expansion, I needed to buy not just the original game, but all the prior expansions.

I'm surprised they get many newcomers to the game for that reason. But so far, I'm not regretting my own decision to get the bundle.

(in reply to henri51)
Post #: 4
RE: new player question about expansions... - 6/2/2013 5:27:02 AM   
Magnatude

I would suggest getting the bundle.
I bought DW alone a while back, even though the Shakturi expansion and Legends was out.

I played it alone for a bit.... meh, its ok.

Saw the expansions go on sale and I got them, and the game came to life.

Adding Shadows, the pirates are awesome to play. I've had more fun with this than any other Space game so far (I think I own them all)

(in reply to WCG)
Post #: 5
RE: new player question about expansions... - 6/2/2013 7:56:21 PM   
Snee

how long is the 70$ bundle available? I can't find any date interval.

I will probably buy it if I don't win the contest to get it free. being disabled and unemployed makes one a bit cautious in one's outlays, but I might justify it as a father's day present, with some belt tightening.

(in reply to Snee)
Post #: 6
RE: new player question about expansions... - 6/2/2013 10:14:34 PM   
Bingeling

The bundle is until July 5th according to the launch sticky on the main forum:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/fb.asp?m=3330796

This game is not a bad choice if you got time to kill :)

(in reply to Snee)
Post #: 7
RE: new player question about expansions... - 6/3/2013 3:47:42 PM   
Plant

Yes, it's true. Seems kinda awful in a way. Bugs and performance and and gui refinements, can only get them through the newest expansions.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 8
RE: new player question about expansions... - 6/3/2013 5:58:57 PM   
MizzouRah

quote:

ORIGINAL: Snee

how long is the 70$ bundle available? I can't find any date interval.

I will probably buy it if I don't win the contest to get it free. being disabled and unemployed makes one a bit cautious in one's outlays, but I might justify it as a father's day present, with some belt tightening.

I bought it over the weekend and I'm already in love with the game. My Father's day present from my wife.

(in reply to Snee)
Post #: 9
RE: new player question about expansions... - 6/4/2013 5:16:44 AM   
Snee

Bought it. will let you all know how it goes. thanks for the encouragement.

(in reply to MizzouRah)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> The War Room >> new player question about expansions... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI