Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Ask WPO Questions Here

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> RE: Ask WPO Questions Here Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 7/11/2013 9:41:40 AM   
Von Weber

Thank you for valuable info.
Just one more little question how do mines decay at Atolls like in shallow or deep waters?

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 31
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 7/11/2013 8:45:19 PM   
Connfire

The decay rate is 50% in deep water, so its not really worth it unless an enemy TF is right behind or pursuing yours. It goes down to 5% in shallow water, and 1% in a base hex. In most cases I imagine an atoll is considered a base hex.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 32
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 7/12/2013 9:35:17 AM   
Von Weber

Thanx a lot, cause I was considering it as deep waters, but had some doubts

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 33
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 7/13/2013 2:03:48 AM   
Connfire

I should add I believe the decay rate is based upon the current number, not the original one. In other words, you drop 100 mines in deep water on Day 1. On Day 2, it's down to 50, due to the 50% decay rate. On Day 3, it goes down to 25, as that is 50% of 50, and so on. So you won't lose the whole minefield in 2 days, but nonetheless it does decay rapidly. This equation works more favorably with the 5% and 1% decay rates.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 34
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 7/18/2013 10:49:06 AM   
Von Weber

One more question to Connfire
Does it feel any lack of supplies or fuel in the late war by Americans or Japan? I see the enormous stores of them for both side and I wonder will they ever come to end?

< Message edited by Von Weber -- 7/19/2013 9:16:55 AM >

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 35
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 7/21/2013 2:24:48 AM   
Connfire

The mainland USA really doesn't have to worry about a lack of supplies, assuming nothing crazy happens like US cities getting captured or anything. Their main concern is making sure that their overseas allies and posessions are supplied.

Japan, on the other hand, does have a supply issue. While they do have impressive stockpiles, they can't replace it at the same rate as the USA. They need to capture stockpiles, resource centers, etc, then transport the resources and oil back to Japan where it can be converted into supply and fuel. THEN, they need to distribute that to their overseas holdings to keep them in business. Auto-convoy handles most of this. Resource management is a major challenge playing Japan, but it can be done. Just don't let those pesky submarines get away with sinking too many of your AKs and TKs.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 36
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 7/21/2013 10:17:08 AM   
Von Weber

OK! I a little don't understand, I see at the most allied bases only fuel & supply, and no resources and oil.Or may be I'm looking in the wrong way

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 37
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 7/22/2013 1:51:51 AM   
Connfire

You see it when you click on a base, under Oil Storage and Resource Storage. The manual is vague on this, but I believe it works like this: Oil and Resources gets created by oil and resource centers. This gets converted into fuel and supplies, I think with your heavy industry. So some bases, like the US West Coast, will produce an ongoing stream of fuel and supplies due the fact it has all it needs - the raw materials and industry to convert it, at hand.

Japan is different. Even though they have large oil, fuel, resource, and supply stockpiles, it is a finite amount. They have the industry to convert fuel and resources, but not fuel and resource centers. So these need to be captured, hence the historical reasons for the war to begin with. You can capture the centers, as well as bases containing oil and resource storage, along with finished supply and fuel. The supply and fuel can be used where needed, while the resources and oil can be transported back to Japan via auto-convoy.

You can also disrupt the production system by aerial bombing industry in the USA, Hawaii, Australia, or Japan. Much of the production system, of which auto-convoy is a part, goes on behind the scenes and does not need to be managed by the player.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 38
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 7/22/2013 2:55:36 PM   
Von Weber

Thank you Connfire, for the answers, now situation gets clear.

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 39
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 8/3/2013 5:36:13 PM   
Von Weber

One more question about supply & fuel for Japan. It is a little bit cheater question, but I'd like to know weather Japan gets enough supplies & oil(I found only one port with oil production in PRC) to make a stand against US if it captures only all the ports at the Chinese coast or it should obviously penetrate deep into Chinese territory to get the same results. Or may be it should start war with other countries?
In the game we play we have a pack of houserules, according to them none helps Russia in her hard time and British and Dutch will not declare war to Japan if it invades the French Indo-China providing Pacifying politics in the Pacific So should I expect intrusions and invasions or there is no economically based reasons for new war campaigns except Chinese one for Impire of Japan? Russia is frozen, cause it always cold therebut I can be prepared by French.

< Message edited by Von Weber -- 8/3/2013 5:37:33 PM >

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 40
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 8/6/2013 7:47:21 PM   
Connfire

If you are asking if Japan can sustain itself by only making war with China and not everyone or anyone else - there are stockpiles that can last for years in Japan, but once that's blown through more need to be obtained. China is a good source for this, and it is close to Japan. But it is resource poor (even if it has some good population and industrial centers) compared to the Dutch East Indies and parts of Southeast Asia. Of couse, North America makes those places look poor by comparison, but that's a move I've rarely even heard of (outside of playing the AI) actually get pulled off, and I've never done it myself. But getting back to China, if you're only fighting China then you're probably not blowing through much resources anyway - once their small navy is dispatched all Japan's navy is doing is supplying the army in China, so it may be sustainable - if not much fun for the Allied player.

With proper resource management - including taking a direct hand with supply and resource recovery rather then leave the whole thing to auto-convoy - Japan can last quite awhile. I recently took a turn playing Allied for the first time in years, and after playing Japan for so long it was a bit of a shock as I grew used to not being flush with resources and letting auto-convoy take care of everything.

One last word on 1920s politics. If I had my way, you'd be able to chose which nations fight on which sides or stay neutral. The 1920s are still a long way from the clear cut "Allies vs. Axis" thing. Relations between the British and French are at an all time low due to their not supporting each other during the Chanak Crisis and disagreements over German reparations - which led to France invading the Ruhr in the 1920s. China is in a civil war, with some warlords allied with Japan. Russia is scaring the hell out of everybody, and Japan was a stalwart member of the Allies only 4 short years before. The Dutch were stubbornly neutral in WWI, and pissed off France and England by allowing the Germans to use her ports and roads to circumvent the Allied Naval Blockade, so they're not exactly on everybody's Christmas card list in the early 1920s, either. The disillusioned USA has basically said to hell with everyone and went back to isolationism. And the entire Western World is suffering from what we'd now call Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. The more you look at it, the idea of the entire world suddenly doing a historical 180 and ganging up on Japan the moment she lands in Foochow or Tsingtao or wherever else she makes her first move into is a bit ridiculous, which is why I continually try and refine my own "house rules" to make it fair and realistic.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 41
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 8/9/2013 6:06:48 PM   
Von Weber

Thank you for comprehensive reply again. So fighting in China only is a little bit useless cause there is not so much raw oil but fightings are heavy. So my opponent will not penetrate deep in china restricted only by capturing the ports from Tientsin to Canton.
My opponent is also in war with the states. And his fleet is not sitting quietly. All his modern battlefleet made a raid behind the line Midway-Jhonson island sinking 3 of my minelayers what was for me a tragic supprise. I spotted about 10-12 subs on the line Midway-Canton isl and further to the East.
What my opponent do next.If he will not advance to Dutch West Indies, what for than he captured Philippines,just because stayed opportunity. .He has no chance to beat my battle and Reserve fleet for two years.
According to our house rules the invasion of Dutch West/Indies by Japan will involve all the Commonwealth in war only in 3 month after the decision of war declare to Japan will pass through a hard debates in English parlament.
So 3 variants
1) China.Heavy fightings(distance for supply bases will only increase) and no oil in result.
2)Russia. Heavy fightings. I have not checked what benefits it provides.
3) French Indo-China heavy fightings. Some resource benefits could be achieved.
Time will show.

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 42
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 8/21/2013 1:44:57 PM   
Connfire

Well, its hard to say what will happen next, especially when you're playing against a human opponent. China does have resources and manpower, and their soldiers and support are a bit lacking. They have practically unlimited replacement ability though.

One thing to remember is that Japan has, or will have as the game progresses, something which the USA does not get until a year or two later, which is torpedo planes. Torpedoes, I feel, are the great equalizer in WPO. Britain actually gets them first, but never that many so once you pinpoint where their squadrons are Japan can make lots of mischief where they are not.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 43
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 8/22/2013 9:04:13 AM   
Von Weber

quote:

which the USA does not get until a year or two later, which is torpedo planes.

But in campaign we play "Super-dreadnoughts" I've already torpedo-planes not much of them and pretty unexperienced, it is already 10th of July 1926 but still neither Japan no American ship was hit by a plane based torpedo. Only once bomb hit was achieved.

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 44
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 8/25/2013 10:35:05 PM   
Connfire

They'll get better. I was speaking of US carrier air in the 1922 campaign. They are the last to upgrade to torpedo planes. I've never played the Super Dreadnought Campaign against an opponent.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 45
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 10/1/2013 8:55:04 PM   
Von Weber

Hi everyone!
As my campaign keeps on going I've got another question. What size base can repair specific damage: gun turret, torpedo mounts, depth charges and so on. Beginning from what port size?

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 46
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 10/1/2013 10:33:35 PM   
Connfire

Weapon systems are repaired when anchored in a size 5 port or higher. The larger the port, or smaller the weapon system (3 pounder vs. 16" guns), the faster the repair. Anchoring in a shipyard does it faster still.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 47
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 10/2/2013 6:06:05 PM   
Von Weber

Thanks!

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 48
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 10/14/2013 5:52:10 PM   
Von Weber

A few questions. One of them is stupid. Float planes will probably never operate from the base or the beach where the fuel storages are zero? The second, I can not understand where my TF and individual ships leaders have gone? I put in charge some of them and now I see at their place are already some others. Wrong game settings or what could it be?

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 49
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 10/14/2013 7:39:20 PM   
Connfire

I don't think floatplanes, or any other aircraft, requires fuel. Fuel, I think, is only for ships. I think aircraft draw their supply from the base, in what is called "airbase supply" - you see it sometimes as taking hits when the base gets naval bombarded.

As for the leaders - I'm still trying to figure that one out myself. I know for years War in the Pacific (of which WPO shares its game engine) players complained of "leadership bugs". The leaders seem to change as soon as the ship touches port. I have no idea why but its annoying as hell. All I can tell you is it seems to happen to the Allies more then Japan, and to subs more then DDs or capital ships. It is worth noting in WPO US subs are pre-assigned leaders, but DDs are assigned random ones.

Reading the old WitP threads on the subject, it appears that the game sometimes reacts negatively when a leader is assigned 2 places at once. It is possible that these missing leaders are already assigned to other pre-assigned or random spots for existing or reinforcing ships, which is why they disappear when they reach dock. I just don't know. The fact there is no leadership database within the game really makes it difficult to diagnose the problem.

I'm currently in a game where for the first time in years I'm playing as Allies. So I'm actively dealing with this problem myself. The problem, especially on US subs, is so bad I feel I have nothing to lose at this point. So I'm trying all kinds of tricks, including having the subs refuel and re-arm in ports different from their homeports, having a different TF leader then the SS leader, switching a strong leader to a weak leader before I disband a SS TF hoping I don't lose him, etc. Not sure if any of these will work but I have to try something as I feel this bug really hampers the US subs.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 50
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 10/16/2013 8:46:22 PM   
Von Weber

Thanks Connfire!So I will not put fuel to the beaches where are my float planes and some supply present.
As for the leaders thank you for comprehensive answer now my allied mate will not think that it was me

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 51
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 1/29/2014 11:39:29 AM   
Von Weber

Hi everyone!
As I keep on playing WPO, I found some more quesions to ask.
Replacements how do they actually work? Example: I have a halved strenth base forces sitting on the lonely island or Atoll somwhere in the Pacific. I want yhem to recover their full strenth, allow replacement option is turned on, pool is full enough but nothing happehs for month already. The same thing is with Chineese at the continent.What shall I do to make it run?
The second one is about subs repairing. I have damaged 2 torpedo tubes(highlited in red) if repairing occurs randomly how much time does it takes to repair them in Pearl-Harbour?

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 52
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 2/1/2014 11:42:44 PM   
Connfire

Chinese units are rarely at full strength. Supplies trickle through China, which causes that. The condition exists by design.

Regarding the base force replenishing - is your "lonely atoll" within your control zone? Does your base have more than double the supply it needs? You need both for a unit to recover. You also need to be within supply range of a HQ unit, but if it is an atoll you probably are, unless it is cut off or surrounded by the enemy.

As for the subs, I assume they are US. Right now I have 3 subs sitting uselessly in port for months with broken torpedo tubes. Don't know why that happens to the USA. They may eventually repair on their own, and I've also seen them repair when they upgrade.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 53
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 2/2/2014 5:15:17 PM   
Von Weber

Double supply rate is important I never knew about it, but now I take care for sure. HQ unit should be favourably at Atoll or lonely island but wich one? Can the naval HQ perform the same tasks as the ground one or even Air one. Can they all replace each other performing replacements functions or not? Yes or no but now I'm getting to understand the role of HQ units, those ones who provide with support but keep on replacements coming.
As for the subs it is american one of S-??? class, so I'll wait or use it only fo recon missions.

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 54
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 2/3/2014 1:36:55 PM   
Connfire

I'm not sure if HQs perform exactly the way the manual says, as I think they cut and pasted what they wrote for War in the Pacific, while the editor in WPO suggests otherwise. Yes, Army, Navy, and Air HQs confer bonuses upon those particular units. However, to use an example, using a Naval HQ to lead ground troops into combat is like using a screwdriver to drive a nail. Sure, you might be able to do it, but it is far less effective and why would you want to if you have a hammer nearby? All are good at attracting and distributing supply. I always pop a HQ, often more than one, on significant troop, naval, or air concentrations.

In the case of your particular atoll, it should be receiving supplies through auto-convoy, but if you want to make it faster just send a convoy to dump supplies on it. Or you can rotate the unit out by exchanging another base force for it, and moving the damaged one to a ground HQ and let it rebuild there. Either way will work. HQ units tend to attract auto-convoy supplies.

I have an "S" and 2 "H" class subs on West Coast training duty due to broken torpedo tubes.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 55
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 2/3/2014 8:24:37 PM   
Von Weber

Connfire, thank you for the help again and ad again
Now I get to understand that HQ is not stupid, useless dump unit but it can be very helpfull. And what about General HQ such as Southwest Pacific HQ for USA and others of this kind.
As for the subs, if you get to know how the torpedo tubes could be repaired ,please let me know, cause I've not found the upgrade date( I play edited Superdreadnought Campaign)

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 56
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 2/21/2014 8:24:27 AM   
Von Weber

Hi Cannon! Again and again I have questins to you, cause nobody answer them ,bt you.
Now I uncarefully put some floatplanes to the beaches without any aviation support on them. They've got damaged so I can not move them to an airbase, and can not load them at AK ship, cause it couldn't be docked to the beach. So should I send there av. support first, repair and let them fly to another base or something else can be done?

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 57
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 2/22/2014 12:21:47 AM   
Connfire

Hmm, I can honestly say I've never encountered that before. Probably sending an AV will be the fastest fix. If that fails, I guess you'll have to send engineers and/or airbase support to get them into a position where they can either fly off or get loaded onto an AK.

I don't know if you're talking about a 2 or 12 floatplane unit, but don't forget that the Dutch AV Pelikaan and US AV Aroostook (as well as Japanese AV Wakamiya) can carry seaplanes as cargo and deploy them once they're on a coastline. CVs may be able to load and operate them too - I've never done it but I think I've seen others do so. Don't know if they'll load without a port or airbase and/or airbase support but if you have any of these ships nearby it may be worth a shot.

Let me know what worked when you get them off.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 58
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 2/24/2014 7:31:09 PM   
Von Weber

Yes I'll send some aviation support some day. AV is a good decision but I have already lost themexcept one but it is too far.
One thing I don't know why it doesn't even matter how hard to try. I play as the US and I'm starting to learn the Japan's production. I run a test game in head to head mode. The result was very disappointing. Japann has no and can have no shortages on the fuel and supply. So for the Japan there is no scence to start war wiyh Commonwealth, Britain, Holland and with anybody else. There is no even a hint for supply or fuel lack. I've never played for Japan in late war. So Connfire tell me that I'm wrong. We just move the fleet and fight at sea for fun. There is no real need for expansion, convoy service. Am I right. I'm playing about 9 month thinking that Japan in the late war wil have fuel crisis. Stupid meIf this game has no economic-production base it is not worth playing isn't it?
I don' want belive in what I've written, but my test game prooves the controversy.

(in reply to Connfire)
Post #: 59
RE: Ask WPO Questions Here - 2/25/2014 1:27:06 AM   
Connfire

I've played late game, and yes, Japan's resources do run low if not replenished. I remember playing in late 1929 against the US, Dutch, Chinese, and French, and my fuel situation was such that I had to watch every drop and was being very conservative of where I sent the Imperial Fleet. There were times where I'd attack places, particularly in China and the Dutch East Indies exclusively hoping to find extra fuel or oil there. At the end of the game I was considering making a run on either Russia or the British for the same reason.

(in reply to Von Weber)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War I] >> War Plan Orange: Dreadnoughts in the Pacific 1922 - 1930 >> RE: Ask WPO Questions Here Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI