Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the Lvov gambit)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the Lvov gambit) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/12/2013 11:52:28 PM   
mmarquo

The other possibility is to allow the pocket, but to increase the staying power of encircled units. Not withstanding the revised air supply rules, surrounded units rout and dissolve too easy; still impossible for a resistant Stalingrad, Demyansk or other type of pocket. If the Axis surrounds 1,000,000 men in the south, it should take a fairly long time to round them up....

My 2 cents.

Marquo

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 31
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/13/2013 8:13:39 AM   
Redmarkus5

I think that the root of the problem is the a-historical ability of SHC to withdraw units over vast distances from turn 1. This is why the GHC player feels obliged to form the pocket.

Soviet 'Shock' needs to be better modeled in the game, along with the German's blitzkrieg advantage.

WitE2 tester, WitW, WitP, CMMO, CM2, GTOS, GTMF, WP & WPP, TOAW4, BA2

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 32
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/13/2013 9:14:38 AM   
Michael T

quote:

I think that the root of the problem is the a-historical ability of SHC to withdraw units over vast distances from turn 1. This is why the GHC player feels obliged to form the pocket.

and turn 2, 3 , 4 etc etc

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 33
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/13/2013 2:52:24 PM   
hugh04

There are a bunch of problems, but one big one is how easy it is to flip control of a hex and how hard it is for the soviet to move. If there was another designation say called "contested hex" that allowed for movement and supply to be traced combined with true flipping of control only on those hexes that a side had an uncontested zoc at the end of the turn only, you would see some big changes.

vandev

(in reply to Michael T)
Post #: 34
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/13/2013 3:21:32 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: vandev

There are a bunch of problems, but one big one is how easy it is to flip control of a hex and how hard it is for the soviet to move. If there was another designation say called "contested hex" that allowed for movement and supply to be traced combined with true flipping of control only on those hexes that a side had an uncontested zoc at the end of the turn only, you would see some big changes.

vandev

Yes, I agree, but that should be true for all turns up to 1945.

There is also a need for some extra shock effects in the early turns. I recall many East Front games that modeled this quite well in the past - it's not a new idea, as you know of course.

The whole Lvov discussion would vanish if Soviet movement was somewhat realistic. And I'm a SHC 'fan boy' as they call it!

(in reply to hugh04)
Post #: 35
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/13/2013 3:22:19 PM   
Redmarkus5

quote:

ORIGINAL: Marquo

The other possibility is to allow the pocket, but to increase the staying power of encircled units. Not withstanding the revised air supply rules, surrounded units rout and dissolve too easy; still impossible for a resistant Stalingrad, Demyansk or other type of pocket. If the Axis surrounds 1,000,000 men in the south, it should take a fairly long time to round them up....

My 2 cents.

Marquo

Yes, +1 on that as well

(in reply to mmarquo)
Post #: 36
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/13/2013 6:35:33 PM   
janh

I think no one can truly and entirely rule out the possibility that the Germans may have pulled off something like the small, the medium or the biggest "turn 1 Lvovs", or the latest "Sapper/MichaelT" "delayed southern mega pockets" if they had committed significant extra forces from other AGs.

Thus it should be a possibility. I must admit I like the latest one Michael showed against Kamil more than the "straight-forward" turn 1 Lvovs since there are at least 2 or 3 turns for the Russian to react. Whatever that helps with poor MP and on, but it at least looks like a battle and not one side just napping until all's over. Possibly this is even more hurtful for the Soviets in the long run, though. The only catch I don't understand, or better cannot logically justify, is sending troops thru Romania and launching them while the Axis ally is still formally neutral -- this kind of is breaking the basic scenario design, and logically requires also removing the 1st turn surprise penalties for the Soviet southern fronts correspondingly to make any sense.

What I dislike about the "1st turn Lvov's" is the probability with which they succeed (it is basically a given if Axis wants to do it). That is in stark contrast to what I would expect it to have looked liked even if the Germans had send 1-3 more Panzerkorps south given the southern Soviet Armies rapid and powerful responses and the head-aches and heavy losses it caused the Axis. Even reinforced, the PzKps bullying to make the Lvov would have faced serious resistance, severe counterattacks, and suffered some sizable losses before succeeding. The later would probably have been doable "rather well and quickly" within the 0.5-1 week (turns) with at least 2 extra Panzerkorps, yet harder/slower or even uncertain with <= 1 extra Corps. It is this resistance and the fight the southern Front showed from the outset even within the first days, certainly much quicker than they ever could have been pocketed like the worse performing sleepers in the northern areas, that is entirely missing.

The whole thing is too simple, too certain, and --most importantly-- too cheap and lacking pretty much any battling compared to the huge impact it has on the balance of the first year or two. Hopefully for WitE 2.0 the devs will tackle any of the measures that could influence this, from ZOC differentiations, a fine-grain mud/weather model, more detailed surprise rules, more resilient pockets, a tiny randomization of starting locations, reaction moves... whatever it takes. Nonetheless, a a certain but small probability should remain to try a Lvov gambit, win big time or loose big time -- get it all, or see the majority of the Panzer get bogged down fighting south while AGC gets stuck north lacking it's armor...

< Message edited by janh -- 6/13/2013 6:38:58 PM >

(in reply to Redmarkus5)
Post #: 37
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/14/2013 12:07:58 AM   
timmyab

quote:

ORIGINAL: janh
The only catch I don't understand, or better cannot logically justify, is sending troops thru Romania and launching them while the Axis ally is still formally neutral

The mobile units that are sent South can't enter Romanian or Hungarian territory on turn one, they have to wait entrained on the Hungarin border.

(in reply to janh)
Post #: 38
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/14/2013 1:55:28 AM   
OddBall2

While one can see the case against the Romanian gambit needing to be nerfed for political reasons. I question the Lvov pocket debate. I have read nearly all the AAR's. It seems that it really has no long term effect on the game. Everybody seems to get "X" distance to the east in the south. Even the AAR's with the Axis reaching Don/Donets line in 41 still have to retreat in the winter. The Germans cannot win on all three fronts at the same time. If the Axis focus on the south then Leningrad and Moscow survive. Having the Germans 500 miles east of the north and central fronts just means having to retreat to shorten the line in 42/43. Maybe in the hands of some of the top players they can push east enough to turn the tide. but it seems to me that once your pass the Donbas cities you are just flaying around on the steppe with nothing to aim for. Has anyone ever seen an Axis player take Baku?

(in reply to timmyab)
Post #: 39
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/14/2013 12:22:42 PM   
carlkay58

Not against a human. Several have (including me) vs the AI at various levels.

(in reply to OddBall2)
Post #: 40
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/14/2013 12:44:58 PM   
Walloc

quote:

ORIGINAL: OddBall2
. but it seems to me that once your pass the Donbas cities you are just flaying around on the steppe with nothing to aim for. Has anyone ever seen an Axis player take Baku?

Just like to say that isnt the same as it couldnt have happened. IMO there two reasons why this isnt seen. First games where it was a possbility tend to stop before cuz russian side surrenders.
In the other cases where it was an possibility it becomes a result of the Victory conditions and we have seen ppl getting 260/290 VP wins. As there is so few cities in the Caucasus per area/distance. Then when ppl are going for a victory there isnt much point in focus on a Caucasus advance vs a advance in middle as there is many more cities aka VP there than down south.
One can then ofc discuss whether VP conditions are correct or not, but that is another discussion.

Kind regards,

Rasmus

< Message edited by Walloc -- 6/14/2013 2:43:08 PM >

(in reply to OddBall2)
Post #: 41
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/14/2013 6:08:58 PM   
Balou

quote:

ORIGINAL: OddBall2

While one can see the case against the Romanian gambit needing to be nerfed for political reasons. I question the Lvov pocket debate. I have read nearly all the AAR's. It seems that it really has no long term effect on the game. Everybody seems to get "X" distance to the east in the south. Even the AAR's with the Axis reaching Don/Donets line in 41 still have to retreat in the winter. The Germans cannot win on all three fronts at the same time. If the Axis focus on the south then Leningrad and Moscow survive. Having the Germans 500 miles east of the north and central fronts just means having to retreat to shorten the line in 42/43. Maybe in the hands of some of the top players they can push east enough to turn the tide. but it seems to me that once your pass the Donbas cities you are just flaying around on the steppe with nothing to aim for. Has anyone ever seen an Axis player take Baku?

IMO a successful Lvov is not intended to permit Baku. But it has been used as a means to speed up things for the Axis in the South. Because the south is the place where to neutralize a lot of manpower. And even though the Axis may have to abandon territory in blizzard, manpower center losses can do a lot of harm to a soviet (re)build up in 41/42.

(in reply to OddBall2)
Post #: 42
RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the ... - 6/21/2013 10:00:52 PM   
Peltonx

Like this

Attachment (1)

Beta Tester WitW & WitE

(in reply to Balou)
Post #: 43
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series >> The War Room >> RE: AGS alternate/historical opening (or not using the Lvov gambit) Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI