Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Cheat Codes & Random Events?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Cheat Codes & Random Events? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Cheat Codes & Random Events? - 1/8/2003 10:27:07 PM   
EricLarsen

Last night I printed out the manual and read it from front to back. I finally saw the cheat codes. I guess we could think of them as our own personal "Q Continuum" with our own personal "Q" to come forth and snap his fingers and give us magical treats.

Then there's the new random events and I'm starting to wonder about the interaction of these two features. If you start using cheat codes and making up good stuff out of thin air I would imagine the program is somehow evaluating our side to check for random events and would probably detect an improvement in our side and then puke out a random event to slap our hands. It almost seems like the random events are now the great equalizer and ride herd on keeping the game fair. If that's the case then using cheat codes would almost be self-defeating.

I really wish the cheat codes weren't in the game. They just make it like a kid's arcade game and they are a great temptation. Do you scrap that little old scout with the great crew or just "Home-CUPS" and instantly grow it up to your latest model? Oh well, I'll just have to pretend I never saw that.
Eric Larsen
Post #: 1
- 1/8/2003 11:24:50 PM   
Andrew Ewanchyna

Life is tough, eh? I did actually think of removing them though. :rolleyes:

Developer of Starships Unlimited

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 2
- 1/9/2003 5:03:28 AM   
Anxiety

I don't think I have ever really used cheat codes in any game. Mostly because it defeats the purpose of the game anyways. In this example, it's a temptation, but not a requirement that they are used. It's not like a bug that can be easily or unavoidably exploited - you have to very intentionally do something.

I have no use for them, myself, but maybe some folks due just so that they can see the late stages of the game... Your point of balance makes good sense, though. I could see random events nullifying cheats.... Oh, well...

-Anx

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 3
- 1/9/2003 9:53:26 AM   
Maxfreeboard

I'd actually had forgot all about them till this post. I don't think it's big deal though. You want to us them, they're there. You don't, you don't.

Something tells me that the majority of the folks that post here wouldn't think about using them...the greatest challenge is one of the main things they're after.

(in reply to EricLarsen)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [Science Fiction] >> Starships Unlimited v3 >> Cheat Codes & Random Events? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI