Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

AEGOD

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> AEGOD Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
AEGOD - 6/18/2013 4:31:24 AM   
Challerain

I have a dilemma. It seems that I own every game that AGEOD has made, but I have yet to actually play one. Oh, I've fired them up and looked at the pretty maps, but never really played. I usually get frustrated, quit, fire up WOW and kill lots of dastardly murlocks. Well, I cancelled WOW, saved countless murlocks, and I'd really like to play these games.

So.....any suggestions on which is the best one to start with?

Thanks!
Post #: 1
RE: AEGOD - 6/18/2013 6:13:30 AM   
Twotribes

Never could get used to their interface.

(in reply to Challerain)
Post #: 2
RE: AEGOD - 6/18/2013 6:51:52 AM   
Hertston

Probably Napoleon's Campaigns and Birth of America 2 are the easiest to get to grips with. IMHO, anyway.

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 3
RE: AEGOD - 6/18/2013 7:14:30 AM   
Twotribes

I did play a bit of the Rome one. Same interface problems but still liked it enough to play a month or 2.

(in reply to Hertston)
Post #: 4
RE: AEGOD - 6/18/2013 8:31:46 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Twotribes

warspite1

+1 I tried Birth of America and latterly Pride of Nations. I guickly gave up on BoA. I still intend to get to grips with PoN but there is something "not right" in the appeal of the interface...

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 5
RE: AEGOD - 6/18/2013 6:15:27 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

+1 I tried Birth of America and latterly Pride of Nations. I guickly gave up on BoA. I still intend to get to grips with PoN but there is something "not right" in the appeal of the interface...

I don't know why so many posters have that issue; I still occaisionally play BoA, but I admit you have to develop the right 'touch' to select and move only the units you want , which has been made easier since AEGOD's Civil war game.

IMO, WEGO is the way for a turned-based game to go.

Stratford, Connecticut, U.S.A.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

Home of the Chance-Vought Corsair, F4U
The best fighter-bomber of World War II

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 6
RE: AEGOD - 6/18/2013 6:42:28 PM   
mrensing

I'm glad I'm not the only one. I've always wanted to like AGEODs games. I've purchased several. But I just don't like them. The interface and mechanics are just off. Played BoA, did not like. Played WWI Gold, did not like. Played ACW, did not like. Which is a shame because I do love some WWI and ACW games. Thank god for Frank Hunter lol.

To be fair there are some Paradox games that I don't care much for either because of the same issues.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 7
RE: AEGOD - 6/18/2013 6:52:51 PM   
Aurelian

Can't say I see the problem moving what you want.

Maybe after playing many, many AACW games I just got used to it.

If the Earth was flat, cats would of knocked everything off of it long ago.

(in reply to mrensing)
Post #: 8
RE: AEGOD - 6/18/2013 10:42:53 PM   
ezzler

Count me into the unfan club.
What is it with wargames designers that they don't understand there is need for simplicity in a UI?

That Rome one managed three hours play since release. I'm not fighting the rules and the UI and the Greeks! Just the Greeks.
And the worst, {and that is some award if you think about it,} but the worst tutorial ever .

But lesson learned. You can put up shiny siren Civil War 2 adds all you like Matrix - I'm not buying if the interface has even a sniff of the current in use one.

(in reply to Aurelian)
Post #: 9
RE: AEGOD - 6/18/2013 11:43:43 PM   
RangerX3X

BoA is a game that rewards persistence. You get out of it what you are willing to put into it.

It took me quite awhile to get to this point.

(in reply to ezzler)
Post #: 10
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 12:47:33 AM   
Ranger33

I found AJE pretty easy to understand and play after reading through this AAR. Just reading the first page of the thread clarified so many things. The AGEOD games certainly handle differently than anything else out there and I haven't really got to grips with the other titles I have (BoA 2, RUS). That said, I'm really looking forward to the new ACW title.

(in reply to RangerX3X)
Post #: 11
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 1:19:42 AM   
rodney727

It's probably one of the worst interfaceds ever made. I don't understand how they continue to make games like this. All of their games are slow moving long wait in between turns that would make anyone yawn. The maps are easy on the eye but the everything else would make me want to go down to the shelter and voluntier my time for free rather than to spend 49.99. To play their new games, I'd rather donate the money where it might do some good..
quote:

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 12
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 11:49:19 AM   
IainMcNeil

Hi guys

thanks for all the feedback. We have worked hard to improve the UI in the latest game on the AGEOD engine - Civil War II. It would be great to get you guys in to the beta to see if the changes address any of your concerns and if not hear your feedback and how things could be further improved. The UI is the key to these type of games and getting it right is critical for success so the more feedback we can get on this the better. It is one of the key upgrades we are focusing on.

You can sign up for the beta test here :
http://www.slitherine.com/beta_test

We'd really appreciate your input.

Thanks!

Iain McNeil
Director
Matrix Games

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 13
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 1:39:07 PM   
vonRocko

Great games! Just not for the ipod crowd. The games require thought and planning.

(in reply to IainMcNeil)
Post #: 14
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 2:00:07 PM   
Agathosdaimon

Amazing games - i had thought AGEOD's games would be too complex for me to approach, but i found Rise of Prussia not too difficult to just dive into and learn on the fly. I am encouraged by this to perhaps get their Civil War game when i have funds again soon and also Civil War 2. My big hope is to see Napoleons Campaigns 2 done - this could be the best Napoleonic Era game in the market today!

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 15
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 2:26:41 PM   
mrensing

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

Great games! Just not for the ipod crowd. The games require thought and planning.

I have spent countless hours in all three incarnations of HOI on the PC. I have spent 8 months playing 3 Days of Gettysburg (board game), Age of Empires (board and computer) and got knows how long trying to wade through my (literally) library of rules for ASL.
Sometimes a particular UI just rubs a person the wrong way. Doesn't mean they are stupid. Try again, bub.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 16
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 4:22:15 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: CG_Gamer

quote:

I have spent countless hours in all three incarnations of HOI on the PC. I have spent 8 months playing 3 Days of Gettysburg (board game), Age of Empires (board and computer) and got knows how long trying to wade through my (literally) library of rules for ASL.
Sometimes a particular UI just rubs a person the wrong way. Doesn't mean they are stupid. Try again, bub.

Did I call you stupid Bub? That was your own paranoia talking. Sorry you can't handle the interface,you're missing out on some good games.
good luck bub!

(in reply to mrensing)
Post #: 17
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 4:58:14 PM   
wosung

So what exactly does make their interface inaccessible and frustrating?
I'm sure Slitherixeod and esp. the 2 Phils from Ageod are interested in your opinion, betas or not.

No need for a piXXing contest about interface using capabilities.

Best regards

< Message edited by wosung -- 6/19/2013 4:59:53 PM >

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 18
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 5:27:05 PM   
Qwixt

quote:

Did I call you stupid Bub? That was your own paranoia talking. Sorry you can't handle the interface,you're missing out on some good games.
good luck bub!

"Just not for the ipod crowd." This sounds like you are calling him stupid to me.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 19
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 6:08:06 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

So what exactly does make their interface inaccessible and frustrating? ....

It takes practice to properly "drag and drop" units a la Microsoft, but my major issue with AGEOD games was the poor Francais en Anglais translations; even if the manual's English is tweaked, the English of the actual in-game messages often isn't, so they aren't always understandable.

Otherwise, the Athena AI engine is one of the best simulations that I've played against.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 20
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 6:56:03 PM   
Twotribes

Yup moving units, separating units , building new stacks , and in several of them the production screen is hopeless too.

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 21
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 8:40:48 PM   
wosung

Maybe it's

-a *foreigen* company w/o native English speakers
-area based with big counters, sometimes arranged in a flock instead of hex based with small ones in an orderly stack
-pre-20th century armies in positional warfare between vital regions instead of frontlines with Schwerpunkte?

Something like that?

Best regards

(in reply to Twotribes)
Post #: 22
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 9:23:48 PM   
Joe D.

quote:

ORIGINAL: wosung

Maybe it's

-a *foreigen* company w/o native English speakers
-area based with big counters, sometimes arranged in a flock instead of hex based with small ones in an orderly stack
-pre-20th century armies in positional warfare between vital regions instead of frontlines with Schwerpunkte?

Something like that? ...

Yes, AGEOD is French and there are no hexes, just regions that are color-coded with informational filters.

"The Angel of Okinawa"

(in reply to wosung)
Post #: 23
RE: AEGOD - 6/19/2013 9:58:05 PM   
Rosseau

If it was me, I'd start with Alea Jacta Est/Birth of Rome series. The DLC's are cheap and feature some very manageable scenarios. The maps and counters are indeed beautiful, and the UI is somehow better than the old Civil War and Nappy games. Have fun!

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 24
RE: AEGOD - 6/20/2013 3:44:48 AM   
jwarrenw13

I've never found the AGEOD interface difficult, and I enjoy the AGE system and the games, most of them. I drew the line at PON. It was simply too complex and slow for my tastes and maybe stretched the engine too far. I think the idea as in for example AJE/BOR of armies operating in space without continuous lines and with the possibilities of surprises every turn is quite realistic. What I sense is more a matter of personal preference or tastes than anything else, though I think the AGEOD games are different and require getting used to. But that is just my opinion.

(in reply to Rosseau)
Post #: 25
RE: AEGOD - 6/20/2013 5:28:22 AM   
Gilmer

I really like their games and have every one, except some additions to Alecta Jacta Est. The one issue that keeps me from playing them constantly is the supply issue. Yes, I get it is ground breaking the way they do it, or some such, but I just cannot get my arms around it. I do everything all the AARs and do everything that people tell you to do and yet, I still find armies that SHOULD be supplied, almost completely out of supply. I've played plenty of wargames in my time and have never had these types of issues and there have been all kinds of supply mechanics.

If they had a simplified supply system that you could check a box to use instead of the complicated one, then I'd be 100% on their games, meaning yes, I have 100%, but I don't play them constantly. As it is, I'm about 75% and 75% doesn't make me play every night.

If there is going to be a grognard system of supply, let us fill up wagons with a button that says "Load Supply" then move it in however many turns it takes and then when we get there, we can do "unload supply". That way I know if my army is going to have suppy or not in a remote area that has depots but for some reason cannot get any supply through.

Regardless, I'll get AACW2, because of them all I like ACW the most and Rise of Prussia second. But Rise of Prussia is the one I really have issues on supply, so I rarely crank it up.

Also, I'll say you can't beat the guys at Ageod for taking care of their customers. They're great at that. Great interaction with them and I respect them all and like to support them.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 26
RE: AEGOD - 6/20/2013 5:31:16 AM   
Gilmer

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

I've never found the AGEOD interface difficult, and I enjoy the AGE system and the games, most of them. I drew the line at PON. It was simply too complex and slow for my tastes and maybe stretched the engine too far. I think the idea as in for example AJE/BOR of armies operating in space without continuous lines and with the possibilities of surprises every turn is quite realistic. What I sense is more a matter of personal preference or tastes than anything else, though I think the AGEOD games are different and require getting used to. But that is just my opinion.

It's not really a wargame which is why it has fallen a little short of what we all hoped. Too many turns where all you do is look at the level of money and supply, shrug, then click next turn again.

And for the people that have slow turns, I have only experienced slow turns (30 seconds to a minute) on PoN. And for many of the turns just shrugging and clicking next turn, that becomes a little monotonous.

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 27
RE: AEGOD - 6/21/2013 12:15:49 AM   
rodney727

It's funny how some people mock themselves with their own ignorance . Nuff said.
quote:

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 28
RE: AEGOD - 6/21/2013 12:25:26 AM   
rodney727

Peace.

< Message edited by rogo727 -- 6/21/2013 1:01:27 AM >

Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to Joe D.)
Post #: 29
RE: AEGOD - 6/21/2013 2:10:44 AM   
vonRocko

It's a shame you wussed out on the game challenge you issued me rogo, I would've enjoyed giving you a "digital" thrashing.

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> AEGOD Page: [1] 2   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI