Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Greeting i am newb to this game heres my 1st impression + some question

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Greeting i am newb to this game heres my 1st impression + some question Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Greeting i am newb to this game heres my 1st impression... - 1/11/2003 7:57:09 AM   
astharoth

greeting everyone, 1st i'm soo happy that there still some real wargame on the market, thanks matrix for making this possible
i know how hard it is to find publisher for such a game.

my impression on UV is i like it but im a bit disapointed that there
is no control over fleet battle, no ship building either nor ship design. When i first saw this game i though it was much like
PTO2 on snes, but dont worry i really like the game, the deph
i'm just really looking for a game like UV but much more bigger
with ship desing,contruction conference with high command
much like PTO2, is there anything in the market like this
beside pto?

here are few question, ive set all my squadrons mission to naval
attack with no secondary mission and from time to time my planes attack a base near me and i dont wish them to attack it
because there have strong aa defences, is there anything i can do to stop my squadron attacking the base? with primary mission to find and kill TF?

also when you select naval attack there is a nav search option
is it the same as the nav search mission?

i 'll have more question in the futur but for now thats all
Post #: 1
- 1/11/2003 8:24:07 AM   
Ironpaw

They are making a "bigger game" it is gonna be called War in the Pacific - same design team 2 by 3 and going to use allot of this engine. Not real sure about the specific's on construction and such - you should check out the web-site though. You will also see it abbreviated as WITP.

The naval search is the easier of your qustions - I believe it is the exact same - but is there to help in another way - lets say you have eight lightnings at Port Moresby and you want to recon something - say Lae - well you really don't need all eight to do that so, you put a percentage on Naval Search so they will do something useful that turn as well. Say 70 -80% - you should experiment with this on your own though and see what suits you.

The second question is a little harder - if you put primary setting on Naval Attack and secondary on Rest -that squadron should only attack ships - are their ships at the base???? I don't think it will default to rest as a secondary mission - so you need to change it. You can then use your set all bombers or plane type buttons to help you set the rest of your squadron's this way as well.

I hope this helps.

This game gets very addicting - especially when you play your first PBEM game - it adds allot to it.

"And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him."

(in reply to astharoth)
Post #: 2
Welcome aboard - 1/11/2003 9:23:30 AM   
Grumbling Grogn

quote:

here are few question, ive set all my squadrons mission to naval attack with no secondary mission and from time to time my planes attack a base near me and i dont wish them to attack it
because there have strong aa defences, is there anything i can do to stop my squadron attacking the base? with primary mission to find and kill TF?

The short answer is: No

Currently the game does not do a good job communicating your desires as to what naval targets to strike (let alone where).

So, if you put your aircraft on "Naval Attack" they will go for any/all/some/none of the ships they can reach based soley upon the AI. All you can do is turn them on and off.

See the other very lengthy thread entitled "Another reason why we should be able to set air mission targets ourselves" if you really want to read more about this issue... :(

The Grumbling Grognard

(in reply to astharoth)
Post #: 3
- 1/11/2003 9:44:44 AM   
astharoth

well i know that we dont choose target and i dont care wich tf they hit but what i say is if i want to attack TF and set a naval attack mission then why my planes starts attacking ports if there is no TF in it?i dont want them to attack port ive set all secondary to rest all primary to naval attack

also what happen if you choose naval attack with nav research 0?

(in reply to astharoth)
Post #: 4
- 1/11/2003 9:55:28 AM   
Grumbling Grogn

[QUOTE]Originally posted by astharoth
[B]well i know that we dont choose target and i dont care wich tf they hit but what i say is if i want to attack TF and set a naval attack mission then why my planes starts attacking ports if there is no TF in it?i dont want them to attack port ive set all secondary to rest all primary to naval attack

also what happen if you choose naval attack with nav research 0? [/B][/QUOTE]

If you have your planes set to naval attack and they attack an enemy port, then there are enemy ships in that port. They may be in a TF you can see or one you can not see (fog of war) and I would think that even ships that are docked would count as "Naval Targets" to the AI in this regard.

Again, this is discussed in that thread at length. And as a matter of fact it is this very behavior that prompted most of the posts calling for more ability to influence the behavior of our naval air strikes.

The last thing I want is to carry on this debate in two threads (not necessarily with you), and I have pointed you toward that thread. I now retire... :)

The Grumbling Grognard

(in reply to astharoth)
Post #: 5
Re: Greeting i am newb to this game heres my 1st impres... - 1/11/2003 10:32:37 AM   
Admiral DadMan

[QUOTE]Originally posted by astharoth
[B]here are few question, ive set all my squadrons mission to naval attack with no secondary mission and from time to time my planes attack a base near me and i dont wish them to attack it

also when you select naval attack there is a nav search option
is it the same as the nav search mission?
[/B][/QUOTE]If you set the Primary Misson to "Naval Attack", and your Secondary Mission to "Rest", then all they should do is attack ships.

If you only want your airgroup to search and not form up an airstrike, the you would set your Primary Mission as "Naval Search". To make your airgroup search (including when you have selected a different Primary Mission), set a percentage on "Nav Search". Sometimes seaching planes do drop ordinance on ships and subs, and you will see a message saying so.

Scenario 127: "Scraps of Paper"
(\../)
(O.o)
(> <)

CVB Langley:

(in reply to astharoth)
Post #: 6
- 1/11/2003 11:18:44 AM   
SoulBlazer

Ah, another PTO fan. :D Welcome!

I also loved PTO 2 and still play -- its the best strategic wargame of the Pacific War out there, IMHO.

You'll be happy to know Koei is planning to bring PTO 4 out to the States for the PS2. :) Should be out in a few months.

The advice the others gave you is very good, BTW. Stick with the game -- and challenge someone for a PBEM game when you feel stu.....uh, I mean brave enough. :D

(in reply to astharoth)
Post #: 7
- 1/11/2003 11:32:54 AM   
astharoth

yeah i love pto its also the best pacific game ive played but i love
wargame in general but i prefere huge wargame geo-political
wargame are the best ever if they are well made.... many have tried most have fails i have yet to see an awesome modern
geo-political game

(in reply to astharoth)
Post #: 8
- 1/12/2003 3:01:20 AM   
CommC

Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the way I understand it is under the Naval Attack setting, enemy ships in a port hex will be attacked [B]if they are in a TF[/B] whether docked or undocked. Ships in TFs will be attacked in any hex (if spotted and the AI commander decides to, etc). Ships docked in port not in a TF will [B]not[/B] be attacked in the Naval attack setting. You have to use the Port attack setting to attack these, and hope your planes go for these and not other port facilities, you have no control over this.

(in reply to astharoth)
Post #: 9
- 1/12/2003 1:04:12 PM   
Reiryc

[QUOTE]Originally posted by CommC
[B]Someone correct me if I am wrong, but the way I understand it is under the Naval Attack setting, enemy ships in a port hex will be attacked [B]if they are in a TF[/B] whether docked or undocked. Ships in TFs will be attacked in any hex (if spotted and the AI commander decides to, etc). Ships docked in port not in a TF will [B]not[/B] be attacked in the Naval attack setting. You have to use the Port attack setting to attack these, and hope your planes go for these and not other port facilities, you have no control over this. [/B][/QUOTE]

Correct...

(in reply to astharoth)
Post #: 10
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Greeting i am newb to this game heres my 1st impression + some question Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI