Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Mining???!!!!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Mining???!!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/13/2013 3:05:54 AM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shark7
I've started another new game, this time I've reduced the cargo loads of my freighters to 1500, 2000, and 2500 respectively. I'm making less cash off the civies, but not seeing almost completely empty freighters going everywhere.

Since you are now missing that fraction of large loads, does it mean resources needed in bulk are slower to get around your empire?

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 61
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/14/2013 3:02:07 AM   
Shark7

OK, currently I have 30+ planets and only 6 large star ports. The game is running much smoother this time and I am having no strategic resource shortages. In fact, I have 150k plus in stock of all strategic resources.

And another note to make, my frieghters (which can carry up to 3250 at the large size) are now mostly full when transporting, instead of being stuck in perpetual emergency resupply mode carrying 25 units of a resource.

On a side note, I have a leader with +19% mining rate at the moment as well. That is bound to be having some effect on stocks.

To get the recreation and medical bonuses, every planet without a star port gets a monitoring station with those components on it. So I get both sensors to see what is coming and the bonuses.

< Message edited by Shark7 -- 8/14/2013 3:03:04 AM >

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 62
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/14/2013 9:45:20 AM   
Icemania

I have a similar number of mid-game colonies (38) so some more note comparison might be interesting.

My strategic stock levels are similar. In every game I have plenty of stock regardless of leader. Harsh start slows it down but the approach and outcome remains the same.

At the moment I have 550 freighters, and looking at how much they are carrying, 40 are carrying more than 3250 in cargo (all 3 types are designed for 6500). It would need more testing but I would expect there is at least some value in that particularly given the civilians have plenty of spare cash anyway ...

How much value have your 12 Explorers added? With a much larger fleet of Explorers I have Way of the Ancients, 5 of the 6 Super Luxuries colonised, all 3 World Destroyers are being rebuilt (not that I use them), lots of technology boosts from all the retired ships from debris fields, supply outposts etc.

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 63
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/14/2013 11:31:12 AM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpy181155
I must admit I am not having fun anymore. I have mined every planet, gas cloud, asteroid and barren rock in my sphere of influence and I am still stuck with half my star bases not upgrading or building because they have material shortages of one sort or another. Half my fleet decided to refuel at a star base that was upgrading but has stalled because it has a shortage of Aculon and they are stuck there not doing anything. It is frustrating and annoying!

Given all the tips in the thread, how is it all going now grumpy?

(in reply to grumpy181155)
Post #: 64
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/14/2013 6:12:40 PM   
Shark7

Having only 12 explorers is having little effect other than not getting the super luxuries colonized (however, I have MDPs with the two empires that have mined/colonized them) so I'm still getting plenty. You have to keep in mind with my play-style that when I decide I want them, I will take them.

I've got 22 explorers now, as I wiped out the Hakkonish and took over a lot of their ships. One thing to note, playing as a warmongering human will result in negative cash flow. Human empires do not like protracted wars.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 65
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/15/2013 12:44:00 AM   
Icemania

I'm also a warmonger.

The financial benefits of having Super Luxuries colonised early are huge. I've been able to colonise them straight after finding them as two of my early homeworlds conquered were Desert/Volcanic.

I play Quameno and have just conquered my 4th empire. At this point in the game I'll target empires where I have more fleets than they have planets, so I can invade them all simultaneously, to limit war weariness.

I've built every wonder on my top colonies and the first homeworld conquered was the Teekans who provided a great income and mining boost. As a result even with a huge war machine, crash research for everything, I still have +$2.5M cashflow!

< Message edited by Icemania -- 8/15/2013 12:45:28 AM >

(in reply to Shark7)
Post #: 66
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/15/2013 3:29:52 PM   
Plant

Shark7, why would playing as a warmongering humna result in a negative cashflow? The wars you have chosen should be short and result in conquering worlds enough to offset the money lost from lowering taxes. Otherwise, what is the point of war?

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 67
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/15/2013 3:58:15 PM   
Shark7

It doesn't take long for the populace to become unhappy. And even when the war is very short, it seems I always end up getting a new leader out of it.

Distant Worlds Fan

(in reply to Plant)
Post #: 68
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/16/2013 1:04:21 AM   
grumpy181155

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: grumpy181155
I must admit I am not having fun anymore. I have mined every planet, gas cloud, asteroid and barren rock in my sphere of influence and I am still stuck with half my star bases not upgrading or building because they have material shortages of one sort or another. Half my fleet decided to refuel at a star base that was upgrading but has stalled because it has a shortage of Aculon and they are stuck there not doing anything. It is frustrating and annoying!

Given all the tips in the thread, how is it all going now grumpy?

Thanks for asking Icemania. Ok I guess. I have stopping building Starports at all of bases and now only build one at critical points. I have also stopped building Defensive bases at all of planets and only build them on the outer fringe of my empire. I do find it a bit annoying that the AI keeps reminding me and suggesting I build more starports and bases.

You know what I think is the problem here. The game has radically changed with the restrictions on the supply of raw materials but the AI doesn't seem to have changed to reflect the new norm. I now manually select planets and asteroids for mining and I have over 40 constructors but I have seen 25% of them sitting around not doing a lot while I have this list of locations waiting to be mined. Possibly they are waiting for materials but at the same time I have seen my constructors building mines on the other side of the galaxy adjacent to several pirate bases where, surprise surprise, they get raided constantly. I have also seen a fleet that was patrolling a planet and a couple of pirates warped in, raided it and sailed off with almost no reaction from the fleet. With the pirates now being able to provide protection and smuggling missions is the AI struggling to determine friend from foe?

Its cold out there.....damn cold

M17X-R4; i7-3619QM; 16GB RAM; 680M; 240GB OCZ-Vertex 3; 1TB Seagate

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 69
RE: Mining???!!!! - 8/16/2013 1:47:58 AM   
Icemania

grumpy, I've also found less Starports helps early game when resources are tight. Mid-game though I'm still in two minds. At that point I have no shortage of strategic resources. It's handy to be able to retrofit defensive ships without them having to leave the system, particularly for remote colonies. It's handy to have more ports to retire recovered debris field ships. I assume it reduces the need for freighters to transport goods from a colony with a base to a colony with a port for sale, so they are free to do other jobs.

Whenever you start to feel comfortable I would recommend turning the AI advisors off completely as you'll always make better decisions. The Constructors are a good example, instead of building mines all over the place, I prefer to build multiple bases in a few systems close to my colonies, as they are easier to defend, and provide shorter travel time for freighters. You'll also better prioritise builds ... why build another Caslon GMS early game if you already have plenty of stock but can see a shortage of Chromium coming in the near future. So it's great to hear you are now doing it manually. Note I never queue constructors as I find similar problems i.e. some remain idle which others still have another job to finish. I'll always select idle constructors then give them the command I want.

Be patient with base building and upgrades. Those sort of messages are intended to say the private economy is on the case, so rather than indicating a huge problem, it will just take a little time even when you are awash with resources. All we can do it help it along indirectly. So I completely ignore them and wish I could turn them off.

(in reply to grumpy181155)
Post #: 70
RE: Mining???!!!! - 5/29/2014 3:08:48 PM   
Icemania

The approach I now follow is Stabases early game to ensure resources remain at maximum on my homeworld for building fleets etc. Once through that building phase I build Spaceports at every colony. Whether that is optimal or not I am still not sure. Certainly I find it important to have at least one Spaceport per system to retrofit Defensive ships quickly.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 5/29/2014 4:09:07 PM >

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 71
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: Mining???!!!! Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI