Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: I'm learning Deutsch

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: I'm learning Deutsch Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: I'm learning Deutsch - 10/10/2013 1:13:57 AM   
Gilmer

I used to be fluent as a child in French. Then I "forgot" it, but picked it back up in high school then took two years in college. I picked it back up very fast and was able to read and write and speak it pretty well. I could probably pick it up fairly quickly again. The college classes, the exams were verbal. Pretty tough, but since it was the end of core curriculum, I never went further into it.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 31
RE: I'm learning Deutsch - 10/10/2013 1:42:40 AM   
t001001001

I live in south Florida, United States, where a lot of immigrants speak only Spanish. I don't think they consider it 'slaughtering their language' when a gringo like me is trying to learn it. Most native US ppl will not learn espanol. It's sort of an insult to have to learn a new language to accomodate guests. Frankly, ppl who move here should learn English. Ppl who move to America and don't learn how to speak American are stupid imo. But I don't care and it's not my business.

I'm not learning spanish to accomodate immigrants (mostly whom are illegal), I'm doing it for selfish reasons. I see those guys work and they are hard workers. I predict they're going to 'make it' here in the land of opportunity. 10 yrs from now, maybe sooner, a US southern citizen who can't speak Spanish is going to be at a disadvantage.

The reason Europeans speak multiple languages is b/c they want to be able to conduct business with as many ppl as possible. Where I'm at, I think it's important to learn Spanish. I'll bury my USA pride, if someone w/ money only knows spanish, I'll speak to them in Spanish. I want their business.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 32
RE: I'm learning Deutsch - 10/10/2013 1:43:46 AM   
Neilster

I'm in a bit of a hiatus at the moment because of the real world.

I'm reminded of a story about a European refugee who came to Australia post war. One day he was speaking to a friend in the street when an older woman said,

"I wish you people would speak the Queen's English!"

to which he replied,

"Madam, I speak four languages. If you could not speak English, you could only bark!"

Suitably chastened she slunk off.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 33
RE: I'm learning Deutsch - 10/10/2013 2:01:10 AM   
t001001001

quote:

It always kills me in a movie when an American is butchering some language and the foreign guy he is talking to says in perfect English, "I can speak English."

There was a Chevy Chase movie where he runs up to a cabbie to ask im something, see's the guy's wearing islam headgear and runs off saying "BAH!" The cabbie says to himself in Her Majesty's perfect English: "I wonder what the devil he wanted"

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: I'm learning Deutsch Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI