Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Don’t buy this game if…..

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Don’t buy this game if….. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/18/2013 10:43:16 PM   
lecrop

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets
I've done quite a bit of work on the PBEM system for MWIF over the past 4 years. Recently I've decided that the best way to go will be to enable PBEM and Netplay to be intermixed. That is, the players can run the game via NetPlay when they get to a place in the sequence of play where heavy interaction between the two players is necessary. When one or both sides are making a bunch of independent decisions (e.g., land movement, production), then they could switch to PBEM so they don't have to be on-line waiting for the other player to finish pondering his moves/production. This is still a newish idea, missing the implementation details, but in overview it seems to me to be the right solution/design.

That's a great improvement!

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 31
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 12:02:21 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: rogo727

Thanks rebel. I have never gotten past turn three in this game. It takes me 4 hours to organize and set up the map and to get to turn three. By that time my wife's two cats and the wife herself act like an alien invasion and make me stop or destroy the map altogether . You had me on 6000 counters. I have read and re-read the rule book twice now in the last two days. I am simply fascinated by this game. While my first love will always be panzer corps I see now this will be my no. 2 game. Btw OT. did you see what Missouri did to Georgia ? Loved it.
quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

quote:

How many counters will be in this game? Will the Manual come in ereader form?

There are over 6,000 unique unit counters plus many many more informational counters included with the release. I've spent a bit of time looking at all the different counters included from a form within the game. Rogo, you won't be disappointed by the counter mix.

Mo reb

Edit: and by form I mean an interactive window/ form that can be scrolled, examined, filtered etc.

This may be against the NDA I signed but here it is; MWiF is both cat and wife resistant. More so with the former.

As for Missouri, I'm glad their season is going so good after their debut in the SEC, something I was happy to see. And anytime I can watch Georgia lose is a good day IMO. Now if we could only see similar results from my Ole Miss (first love) I'd be ecstatic.

Hotty Toddy

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 10/19/2013 12:04:21 AM >

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 32
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 3:57:06 AM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

Thanks rebel. I have never gotten past turn three in this game. It takes me 4 hours to organize and set up the map and to get to turn three. By that time my wife's two cats and the wife herself act like an alien invasion and make me stop or destroy the map altogether . You had me on 6000 counters. I have read and re-read the rule book twice now in the last two days. I am simply fascinated by this game. While my first love will always be panzer corps I see now this will be my no. 2 game. Btw OT. did you see what Missouri did to Georgia ? Loved it.
quote:

quote:

How many counters will be in this game? Will the Manual come in ereader form?

There are over 6,000 unique unit counters plus many many more informational counters included with the release. I've spent a bit of time looking at all the different counters included from a form within the game. Rogo, you won't be disappointed by the counter mix.

Mo reb

Edit: and by form I mean an interactive window/ form that can be scrolled, examined, filtered etc.

This may be against the NDA I signed but here it is; MWiF is both cat and wife resistant. More so with the former.

As for Missouri, I'm glad their season is going so good after their debut in the SEC, something I was happy to see. And anytime I can watch Georgia lose is a good day IMO. Now if we could only see similar results from my Ole Miss (first love) I'd be ecstatic.

Hotty Toddy

warspite1

He broke his NDA!!! Call the militia!

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 33
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 3:59:28 AM   
warspite1

quote:

Pbem is simply a must . I can't wait to challenge warspite to a game and then sink that ship (if there is a god he/she will let me sink her in the English Channel ). My great grandfather would be proud I can almost see him shinning his iron cross now....
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

To the best of my knowledge:

MWiF is shipping out with solitaire, hot seat (single-computer multiplayer) and netplay (multiplayer over internet) capability, and will eventually have PBEM capability as well.

I'm sure this has been discussed elsewhere, but why is PBEM a feature that will be added later? There are so many interlocking decisions in a normal game of WiF, such as when you get naval interceptions, or the stroke and counter-stroke of committing air units to support and intercept over a land battle, that having to wait for input after each and every one of them will mean a game will take forever and a day.

I've done quite a bit of work on the PBEM system for MWIF over the past 4 years. Recently I've decided that the best way to go will be to enable PBEM and Netplay to be intermixed. That is, the players can run the game via NetPlay when they get to a place in the sequence of play where heavy interaction between the two players is necessary. When one or both sides are making a bunch of independent decisions (e.g., land movement, production), then they could switch to PBEM so they don't have to be on-line waiting for the other player to finish pondering his moves/production. This is still a newish idea, missing the implementation details, but in overview it seems to me to be the right solution/design.

warspite1

You and SLAAK can just Keep dreaming

HMS Warspite is unsinkable.... FACT

(in reply to rodney727)
Post #: 34
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 8:07:43 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

Call the militia!

I have them right here on my Rolodex. That's right. I said Rolodex.

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 35
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 12:59:56 PM   
captskillet

Dream on Mo Reb..............Geaux Tigers!

"Git thar fust with the most men" - Gen. Nathan Bedford Forrest

Post #: 36
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 1:02:52 PM   
captskillet

And Im sure that this has been hashed out ad nauseum but I'm alittle late to the party...........why no Digital Download edition?

(in reply to captskillet)
Post #: 37
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 5:02:14 PM   
Grotius

I'm not sure Matrix has ruled out a digital-download version. Does anyone know either way?

Post #: 38
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 5:38:07 PM   
Numdydar

It is definately a physical copy only due to the importance of the manuals. This may change after relases, but for now, you can order it on Nov 7 and then wait for the box to show up.

(in reply to Grotius)
Post #: 39
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 6:22:09 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

It is definately a physical copy only due to the importance of the manuals. This may change after relases, but for now, you can order it on Nov 7 and then wait for the box to show up.

Only a physical copy will be available for purchase. Those who buy the game will be able to download it immediately, with the manuals arriving in the mail later.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 40
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/19/2013 6:40:11 PM   
wodin

Only a physical copy!! That means delivery and possible customs fees aswell! Surely we have PDF readers...

Post #: 41
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/20/2013 2:36:59 AM   
rapidfire2013

OMG...physical only? I hope books (like the map) is optionnal with extra? Books looks great but we're in 2013-2014 when i'm searching for a rule, i'm looking in PDF with errata codec or extra explanation adds/revised or example update also!! And i hope that will not boost the cost price and delivery. We wait several years for digital game but keeping physical books? I guess marketing decision.

Thanks

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 42
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/20/2013 10:32:25 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: captskillet

Dream on Mo Reb..............Geaux Tigers!

Are You Ready

Hell Yeah Damn Right

Hotty Toddy, Gosh Almighty

Who The Hell Are We? Hey

Flim Flam, Bim Bam

Ole Miss By Damn

Post #: 43
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/20/2013 3:18:25 PM   
captskillet

even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile, nice one for the Rebs . Tigers gave it away in the first half..........looks like everyone is playing for 2nd again behind friggin Alabama.

Post #: 44
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/20/2013 3:28:33 PM   
warspite1

quote:

even a blind hog finds an acorn once in awhile, nice one for the Rebs . Tigers gave it away in the first half..........looks like everyone is playing for 2nd again behind friggin Alabama.
warspite1

...and now in English?

Post #: 45
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/20/2013 5:22:06 PM   
rodney727

I think the saying goes "even the blind squirrel finds the nut once in awhile". I will translate this for you Mr. W. What the OP is trying to say is that LSU was way overrated and that outside of Alabama no one has a chance in the SEC to win the National Championship in college football.
quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

...and now in English?

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 46
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/20/2013 5:24:04 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

warspite1

...and now in English?

Errr Warspite your English and its not helping you with what he said. He is talking about a real sport called football , not your pansy sport of whats its name?

Bo

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 47
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/20/2013 6:23:10 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo

quote:

quote:

warspite1

...and now in English?

Errr Warspite your English and its not helping you with what he said. He is talking about a real sport called football , not your pansy sport of whats its name?

Bo

Football? I'm watching this at the moment. The Dutch competition it is. That American foolball isn't football at all, since the players can use hands in handling of the ball (which isn't a ball also, but some strange formed thing)... You Americans should change the name in American rugby...

Peter

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 48
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/20/2013 6:41:23 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

...and now in English?

Bo

Football? I'm watching this at the moment. The Dutch competition it is. That American foolball isn't football at all, since the players can use hands in handling of the ball (which isn't a ball also, but some strange formed thing)... You Americans should change the name in American rugby...

We're not really good at running. TBH, I would watch soccer more if it had checking in it. Might even allow high scoring games like 2-1. Think of the possibilities.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 49
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/21/2013 2:02:57 AM   
rodney727

Really OT ; but soccer is so well how should I say this.... SO UN AMERICAN. Give us another ten years and I'm sure we will dominate that sport too. Wrestling is American... You had the French and British try and delete it from the Olympics . Why? It's not European . Just saying. Give me college football. All year long!
quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

...and now in English?

Bo

We're not really good at running. TBH, I would watch soccer more if it had checking in it. Might even allow high scoring games like 2-1. Think of the possibilities.

"I thank God that I was warring on the gridirons of the midwest and not the battlefields of Europe"
Nile Kinnick 1918-1943

Post #: 50
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/21/2013 1:47:13 PM   
Eambar

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

Only a physical copy will be available for purchase. Those who buy the game will be able to download it immediately, with the manuals arriving in the mail later.

I'm still a little confused by this...so we have to purchase the physical manuals and maps, and I assume we get a disc with the game on it in our physical shipment.

However, we can download the game immediately, start playing, view the tutorial videos etc, and use F1,F2 and F3 to check the manuals/guides.

So it is a download with a compulsory purchase of physical manuals and maps?

Am I missing something?

Cheers

Post #: 51
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/21/2013 3:46:28 PM   
Numdydar

Nope Sounds like you understand things correctly. And yes a CD is included.

(in reply to Eambar)
Post #: 52
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/21/2013 4:55:12 PM   
shaddock

I thought the maps were a separate purchase? You buy the game and can download it. Later the printed manuals and the cd will come in the mail. At least that's how I understand it.

Speaking of football, anyone catch the Arsenal match on Saturday?

save the carrots; eat a vegan!

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 53
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/21/2013 6:07:22 PM   
Numdydar

Yes the maps are a seperate purchase. You buy the game but I am not sure if you can download at launch or not. My understanding is that there is no download so you will need to wait until you physically get the game to play it. But there have been many changes over the development of the game so things could have easily changed as to the actually delivery of the game.

Not really sure why it really matters. You pay for it and can either download it or need to wait for the CD or both

(in reply to shaddock)
Post #: 54
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/21/2013 8:21:32 PM   
captskillet

dont think you have to wait for the CD, think what Shannon said was the only option on the buy page will be physical copy + download (which I dont understand, I've never ordered a physical copy, got a Technical School with a graphics dept right down the road that will print the manual and bind it at cost, thats what I did with the WITP-AE manual)

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 55
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/21/2013 9:03:54 PM   
Numdydar

How cool. Care to take some printing orders ?

Post #: 56
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/22/2013 3:27:39 PM   
Extraneous

quote:

Other quotes from General Nathan Bedford Forrest (CSA)

“Put the scare on ‘em and keep the scare on ‘em,” (My favorite)

"No damn man kills me and lives."

"Never stand and take a charge...charge them too".

“I have never, on the field of battle, sent you where I was unwilling to go myself; nor would I advise to go a course which I myself was unwilling to pursue. You have been good soldiers; you can be good citizens. Obey the laws, preserve your honor, and the Government to which you have surrendered can afford to be, and will be, magnanimous.”

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 57
RE: Don’t buy this game if….. - 10/23/2013 1:31:12 AM   
Jonathan Pollard

quote:

According to Wikipedia:

Forrest is often erroneously quoted as saying his strategy was to "git thar fustest with the mostest." Now often recast as "Getting there firstest with the mostest,"[44] this misquote first appeared in print in a New York Tribune article written to provide colorful comments in reaction to European interest in Civil War generals. The aphorism was addressed and corrected by a New York Times story in 1918 to be: "Ma'am, I got there first with the most men."[45] Though a novel and succinct condensation of the military's Principles of mass and maneuver, Bruce Catton writes:

"Do not, under any circumstances whatever, quote Forrest as saying 'fustest' and 'mostest'. He did not say it that way, and nobody who knows anything about him imagines that he did."[46]

quote:

ORIGINAL: Extraneous

Other quotes from General Nathan Bedford Forrest (CSA)

"No damn man kills me and lives."

Surrendering to General Forrest likewise did not necessarily guarantee that one would live. Achilles Clark, a soldier with the 20th Tennessee cavalry, wrote to his sister immediately after the battle of Fort Pillow: "The slaughter was awful. Words cannot describe the scene. The poor, deluded, negroes would run up to our men, fall upon their knees, and with uplifted hands scream for mercy but they were ordered to their feet and then shot down. I, with several others, tried to stop the butchery, and at one time had partially succeeded, but General Forrest ordered them shot down like dogs and the carnage continued. Finally our men became sick of blood and the firing ceased."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nathan_Bedford_Forrest#cite_ref-Clark.2C_Achilles_V_34-0

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 58
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Don’t buy this game if….. Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI