Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The Ageod dilemma

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> The Ageod dilemma Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The Ageod dilemma - 9/26/2013 10:47:39 PM   
maxstrike

Ageod is well known for their post release support of their games. So I always am questioning when to start playing them. Do I immediately start a game or do I wait for a few patches? A game of this complexity will always have bugs, so patching is given. Even early in the patching cycle, Ageod games are fun, but I have constraints on my game playing time. So how do I maximize my Civil War 2 game playing goodness? How do other players handle this dilemma?
Post #: 1
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/26/2013 10:59:37 PM   
Toro12

For me, it depends on the company. Ageod, there was no question. This game is very playable now, and while there are a few bugs, I'm considering my first game a refresher and learning the new aspects. And, as you say, I know good support will follow. Other companies... won't even consider Total War any longer for, say 6 months or more.

(in reply to maxstrike)
Post #: 2
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/26/2013 11:48:04 PM   
comsolut

I understand your dilemma.

I started the 1861 campaign as the CSA got to May 1862 and hit the Corps formation bug.

Will need to start over, but will wait for the first patch.

The time spend on the first campaign was well worth it, even having to start over. Learned a lot and it was fun.

But I am waiting for the first patch to start another campaign. A game like this does take a while to get good at, so starting a few times is not wasted. But if you want to invest your time only once for a full campaign, wait for a few patches.

(in reply to maxstrike)
Post #: 3
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 12:54:03 AM   
mikeCK

Why not start over now and use the user created quick fix for the formation bug?

(in reply to comsolut)
Post #: 4
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 1:10:13 AM   
Boomer78

Just wait a few more days. Patch should be out soon.

Thing is, as good as AGEOD games can be, they rarely look that way out of the factory. Then again, what game is damn near perfect from launch? Not many these days. There's great potential for AACW 2 but for now the bugs list is too much for me so I'm holding off playing it until the patches come. The AI bug is probably the biggest bug of all, unless you're playing PBEM.

I'd recommend waiting to anyone who still hasn't pulled the trigger on a purchase. Just wait a few more days and I'm sure with the patch the game will be much improved.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 5
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 1:19:31 AM   
mikeCK

What's wrong with the AI?

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 6
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 1:31:35 AM   
Boomer78

There are already a few threads here discussing it. Basically, it's suicidal. It throws everything it has at you immediately without regard to strategy or logistics. In the early war as the Union it's easy to find Johnson or some other southern general besieging towns in Pennsylvania or New Jersey right off the bat.

Thing is, once the units move north, they seem to lose steam and just sit in some random northern town. It breaks immersion and makes it easy to recover from the initial onslaught, and most of Virginia and North Carolina go undefended as a result.

It's a tad more realistic with AI aggression set WAY down to minimum, but even then the AI considers absurd offensives as its default posture.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 7
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 4:10:57 AM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Boomer78

There are already a few threads here discussing it. Basically, it's suicidal. It throws everything it has at you immediately without regard to strategy or logistics. In the early war as the Union it's easy to find Johnson or some other southern general besieging towns in Pennsylvania or New Jersey right off the bat.

Thing is, once the units move north, they seem to lose steam and just sit in some random northern town. It breaks immersion and makes it easy to recover from the initial onslaught, and most of Virginia and North Carolina go undefended as a result.

It's a tad more realistic with AI aggression set WAY down to minimum, but even then the AI considers absurd offensives as its default posture.

Since this problem has been around forever,and is like this from the first AACW,what makes us think it will be fixed any time soon, if ever?

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 8
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 8:10:51 AM   
Ace1_slith

The AI aggression is really toned down in patch 1.01. that is due to release in few days. Nothing is perfect, but compared to other games, AI is actually now ok. If you still feel after patch that AI is over aggressive, give the AI highest ranking, and lowest aggressivity and detection settings.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 9
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 6:10:57 PM   
mikeCK

You guys keep saying "soon" but here is the second weekend that we don't have the patch! Argh

Anyway, I found that AGEOD AI is quite good if you follow the recommended settings. Turn AI aggressiveness to normal and give a +1 activation bonus with a little better view than you get of the map. Still happens in ACw1 but I don't find the AI too aggressive at all in ROP, Bor or AJE...so I suspect it will be fine. In fact, I own every AGE engine game and the AI really only does that in ACW so hopefully it get fixed....that's why there is hope. Just have to go another weekend without playing. (I have corp fix but still need economy fix and AI aggressiveness to play)

(in reply to Ace1_slith)
Post #: 10
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 6:14:17 PM   
mikeCK

Nevermind...I see the 1.01 release Candice is out on the AGEOD site!

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 11
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 7:50:38 PM   
maxstrike

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikeCK

You guys keep saying "soon" but here is the second weekend that we don't have the patch! Argh

Anyway, I found that AGEOD AI is quite good if you follow the recommended settings. Turn AI aggressiveness to normal and give a +1 activation bonus with a little better view than you get of the map. Still happens in ACw1 but I don't find the AI too aggressive at all in ROP, Bor or AJE...so I suspect it will be fine. In fact, I own every AGE engine game and the AI really only does that in ACW so hopefully it get fixed....that's why there is hope. Just have to go another weekend without playing. (I have corp fix but still need economy fix and AI aggressiveness to play)

The problem is AGEOD makes classics, just not classics out of the box. They will probably support this game for at least a year, but I'm not going to wait that long to start playing.

(in reply to mikeCK)
Post #: 12
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/27/2013 9:25:17 PM   
Ace1_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: maxstrike

The problem is AGEOD makes classics, just not classics out of the box. They will probably support this game for at least a year, but I'm not going to wait that long to start playing.

The one thing that fascinates me with AGEOD is how long they support the product. They've patched AACW1 up to last year. Other companies would have released 3 expansions out of it

(in reply to maxstrike)
Post #: 13
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/28/2013 3:06:17 AM   
mikeCK

quote:

ORIGINAL: maxstrike

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikeCK

Well I enjoy all their games right out of the box. All games get better as they are patched. I played ROP and AJE to death for a month after they came out and loved it.

(in reply to maxstrike)
Post #: 14
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/28/2013 1:03:53 PM   
Moltrey

I have always found that I need to play a lot of "starter" games that I don't get very far with in order to learn the game enough to enjoy the experience. But that might just be me.

(in reply to Toro12)
Post #: 15
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 9/28/2013 2:08:39 PM   
elmo3

quote:

ORIGINAL: pdwest64

I have always found that I need to play a lot of "starter" games that I don't get very far with in order to learn the game enough to enjoy the experience. But that might just be me.

Not just you. I do the same thing, although after years of alpha and beta testing many games where you have to restart on a regular basis it feels like the normal way to play to me.

We don't stop playing because we grow old, we grow old because we stop playing. - George Bernard Shaw

WitE alpha/beta tester
Sanctus Reach beta tester
Desert War 1940-42 beta tester

(in reply to Moltrey)
Post #: 16
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 10/14/2013 9:45:59 PM   
Emmeric

quote:

The AI aggression is really toned down in patch 1.01. that is due to release in few days. Nothing is perfect, but compared to other games, AI is actually now ok. If you still feel after patch that AI is over aggressive, give the AI highest ranking, and lowest aggressivity and detection settings.

Toned down? Playing as the Confederacy the AI is raining federal troops all over me. Pre-patch, I was able to breath.

Now? I'm losing regions faster than historically possible.

< Message edited by Emmeric -- 10/14/2013 9:47:23 PM >

(in reply to Ace1_slith)
Post #: 17
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 10/15/2013 8:25:49 AM   
Ace1_slith

Are you saying AI is now too good?

Toned down aggression means AI will be more careful not to wonder too much into enemy territory without the retreat path if defeated.

(in reply to Emmeric)
Post #: 18
RE: The Ageod dilemma - 10/15/2013 10:10:38 AM   
Pocus

Military AI is probably the hardest thing to code in the AGE engine. People should not expect it to rival Deep Blue (which is only handling 64 regions and 32 units )

AGEOD Team

(in reply to Ace1_slith)
Post #: 19
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> The Ageod dilemma Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI