Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Another Excellent Post

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Another Excellent Post Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Another Excellent Post - 1/17/2003 11:38:14 AM   
Grumbling Grogn

Gus hit it on the head.

I like everyone of his ideas and they illustrate exactly why "balancing" historical parameters (attack values, etc.) is not a good idea for a Historical wargame. :)

The Grumbling Grognard

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 31
- 1/17/2003 12:45:39 PM   
Nikademus

In my opinion the "problem" lies not with supply, nor in wear and tear, nor in the life expectancy of gun barrels. As i've mussed on the WitP board....wear and tear on warships is already far too high making even normal cruising a taxing operation the farther a TF goes much less a high speed bombardment or Fast transport.
I am keeping my eye firmly locked on the far greater distances that will be traversed in WitP vs UV.

Supply in the game is indeed plentiful.....more so than was historical. This was a conciencious decision on the part of the game designers due to the game' limited scope in terms of the entire Pacific Campaign. While it does cause a quickening of the operational pace, i consider it a non issue pretty much since WitP will solve it simply by coming into existance.

It is certainly true that gun barrels have a "Shelf life" however this is a pandora's box best not opened. Why? Simple. Its not just gun barrels. Its EVERYTHING. Especially when one is talking the SoPac theater. Everything has a shelf life. Aircraft, aircraft parts, engines, weapons, tools etc etc etc. Airforces on both sides during this period would be fortunate to have 50% or more of their paper strength flyable on any one day. But to simulate this would require a supply system so complex as to boggle the mind of even the most fanatical grognard, not to mention require a wargame far larger than even this formidable 21st century example. There are also many many different kinds of supply (Mine issue anybody?) In short......its not really a practical road at this point in time. Maybe the 'next' generation of wargames will have it. Assuming my horse doesn't kill me i hope to live to see it.

Level bombers.......no comment :)

The more basic (and solvable) problem, i feel lies in the depiction of the bases themselves. Essentially, all bases are treated as Lungas. Guadalcanal was in so many ways, a unique struggle which saw both navies fighting in ways and preforming missions not conceived of prewar. To elaborate.....Lunga was "indeed" highly vulnerable to surface bombardment, due to it's geography and due to the military situation of the time. The entire Marine perimeter, including the airfields, was very small, and there were no advance features to protect both supply dumps and aircraft.

However not every base in real life is a Lunga, either in size, in geography nor in complexity. Some bases are geographically unsuitable for bombardment completely. Rabaul comes to mind. Anyone ever see an arial picture of Rabaul base? Its harbors are not easily accessible thus making a close range bombardment impractical not to mention extremely risky. But it can be done in UV. I've done it myself just for giggles.

For those that are more accessible, there is the complexity issue. In both bombardment and air bombardment terms i see too little difference in the way they behave. Lunga, given how many aircraft operated from it was game wise probably not greater than a "level 3 base" (small historical fudge....B-17's did operate from the main field for refueling stops, in UV of course a base must be level 4 or higher to operate twin+ engine bombers) and in terms of operational aircraft was Level 2 at least at the beginning stages.
The lack of revertments or other more permanent fixtures precludes it being awarded a Level 4 or higher status, as well as there being only one field before the creation of the small "fighter one" strip.

As such, it was highly vulnerable to attack. A bigger base, with more airstrips, concrete revertments, and a more developed, better protected and dispersed supply depot should be far far tougher to crack, requiring many many missions just to keep it down.

One does not see this though. A primary culprit is the "supply hit" Its treated the same for all bases and IIRC a 'hit' takes off a fixed % of points per occurance. The problem here is the bigger the supply dump, the bigger the % is, taking positively HUGE chunks out of even the biggest bases. IMO, this should be reversed. The bigger the base (port/airfield) the small the % should be or the harder a "hit" should be.

Same for airfield/airfield service damage. Its supposed to work that way now, but in practice i dont see it. I can take out Rabaul almost as easily as a Lunga. One suggestion i would have outright is that larger airbases should be assumed to have multiple fields therefore a 'cap' should be placed on damage (per raid) as often individual raids will only be able to target one or two fields, not all (unless the raid is very very large) This problem also exists for bombardment. Bombardment should be made more variable as well. Some bombardments of Lunga ended up shelling non vital areas such as the "boneyard" where heaps of canibalized aircraft were piled up.

In short, look not at wear and tear, or supply levels. We must look at the bases and the differences in how they behave when at small/low levels of development vs larger/higher levels of development. There also need to be more variance.....some bombardments/air attacks will be more successful than others, and not all the factors will be influenced by combat or interdiction.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 32
- 1/17/2003 12:47:14 PM   
Drongo

Posted by gus
[QUOTE]IMO all of this will reduce the need for play balancing that is in UV today. There will be fewer Japanese bombardment groups simply because they do not have enough fuel to do so. [/QUOTE]

I'd think that a lot of thought would need to be put into the decision. Imposing "historical" limitations on supply might not only piss off a lot of players who bought the game for the "action" side of things but also trigger the need for revising a lot of other existing UV routines/mechanics that may be shown up when play slows down. Currently, since you are able to fight "en masse", a lot of individual attributes of planes, ships, etc may be avoiding scrutiny.

Having said that, let me say this :p

I'm all in favour of having UV operations limited, for both sides, by historical constraints so long as it still produces a game that can be played from either side and still be enjoyed. If its not the case, leave it as is.

On a related note, it's not just the current total supply/fuel level that allows almost unrestricted operations. Its also the "instant" top up that the major bases receive each day. If that is not changed as well, you'd be able to avoid a lot of the restrictions by just shuttling your transports in and out on different days.

Have no fear,
drink more beer.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 33
- 1/17/2003 1:18:29 PM   
crsutton

Thanks for all the great answers.

Let me just say that I firmly believe that Gary and Matrix want to acheive as much historical accuracy as possible. It can be only for that reason they have made many modifications to the system and listen to us. I want my game to be as historically accurate and a realistic as possible. Obviouly we all have our opinions about what needs to be tweaked: Subs, medium and heavy bombers, bases and surface units.

However, I stand by my statement. It is unrealistic to put capital ships through continous major actions without serious system degration. I used guns only as one example (dont get me started about boiler tubes, forced draft fans, evaporaters and such) This can be corrected in the game and should-as other important items should.

I firmly do not believe in leaving things as-is for play balance or to compensate for unrealistic advantages that the other side has. Play balance can and has been adjusted through other means. I have no problem with hypothetical scenarios that give the Japanese more fuel, ships, better planes, better pilots. If a reasonable hypothsis can be made to support the scenairo, Im ready to play. We all do seem to enjoy scens. 17 and 19. However, I am not looking for any hypothetical situation that assumes it is OK for ships and planes to operate out of the realm of historical accuracy. That is not a what I want in simulation of the war in the South Pacific. Does anybody else really want that? I am not getting that from the many fine posts that I read here. Plain and simple is that surface ships could not do what they are doing in the game. There is good evidence for my statement. Should we work with Matrix to improve this?

I think so. It will benfit both Matrix and this community when Pacific War comes out in the future.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 34
- 1/17/2003 1:38:36 PM   
Bulldog61

There was only one successful battleship bombardment of Lunga during the Guadalcanal campaign and that was in October 42. The second time the IJN tried that they lost 2 BB's. In the historic scenario #14 the battleship bombardmrnt begins around Aug 14th.
One must ask why didn't the Japanesse use battleship bombardment more often? The answer was lack of fuel and fuel storage facilities. The Yamato and Mutsu sat anchored at Truk through the entire campaign becuase they were used as floating fuel bunkers. Yet in the game they often come rollong down the slot every other night resupply at Shortlands which gets more use than Rabaul. Also ahistoric.
Historically there should be about 6 to 8 tankers rotating between Tokyo and Truk with very limited off load capability at Truk.The task forces should have to refuel from the tankers. it would be a chore then just to keep the destoyers and occasional cruisers capable of running the Tokyo Express as it was. Careful planning would enable part of the IJN Fleet then to sortie from Truk for about 12 to 14 days a month as was the IJN historic capability.

Mike

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 35
- 1/17/2003 2:01:02 PM   
Nikademus

It was more due to the fact that the special shore bombardment shells used by the Japanese were only available for the 14 inch guns such as carried by the Kongo class, vs the 18 inch weapons carried by Yamato and her sister, or the Nagato twins with their 16 inch weapons.

After that, it was a matter of speed, and in the end, expendability.

The Japanese realized the high risk of deploying battleships to an environment they were not well suited too. The Kongos were simotaniously the most useful for the task....

and the most expendible should things go wrong.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 36
- 1/17/2003 2:09:56 PM   
strollen

[QUOTE]However, I stand by my statement. It is unrealistic to put capital ships through continous major actions without serious system degration. I used guns only as one example (dont get me started about boiler tubes, forced draft fans, evaporaters and such) This can be corrected in the game and should-as other important items should.[/QUOTE]

I think UV does model things like gun wear out pretty well albeit abstractly through system damage.

The 300 rounds per barrel is an optimum maintence in times of war I think battleship typically would go longer. The only penalty I could find for going longer is decreased accuracy (important for Ship to Ship combat but not critical for bombarding) In particular I bet the old refitted Pearl Harbor battleship were involved in heavy bombardments in the invasion of the central pacific didn't have time to go back for barrel replacement between missions.

Even supposing the 300 number that still allows a battleship to engage in 6 bombardment mission before needing to replace barrels . (For example the especially lengthy bombarbment by Haruna, and Kongo expended 973 shells (60/shells per barrel)

My experience is that a retirement bombardment mission from Rabual to Lunga or Gili to Cairns gives 2-4 system damage per mission. Do this 6 times and the BB is due for a refit, which means at least 3 months in a major port or being sent back to Pearl or Truk.

I do agree that the unlimited supply and especially fuel in Truk give the Japanese a significant advantage which encourage higher operational tempo.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 37
- 1/17/2003 2:15:33 PM   
Nikademus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by crsutton
[B]Thanks for all the great answers.

I firmly do not believe in leaving things as-is for play balance or to compensate for unrealistic advantages that the other side has.
[/B][/QUOTE]

The supply situation was not put in place for play balance issues. It was put in place to simplify the supply situaiton based on the assumption that the theater portrayed (SOPAC) was currently receiving a priority and yes, to simplify the game mechanics. Thus both sides main bases's (Truk and Normura) receive unlimited supply on a per daily basis and favors both sides equally (OOB issues excepted of course)

Obviously once WitP debuts, this situation will no longer exist and one that closely matches PacWar will take it's place. The US player will no doubt have unlimited supply bases located on the west coast and so will the Japanese in the home islands, the exception being their supply base will be determined by the level of sucessful import and conversion of raw materials brought in from the conquored territories, something that can (and will) be affected by USN efforts in the future.

If (or when) a SoPac campaign occurs, the supply and fuel limitations mentioned will make themselves felt for both sides.

The suggestion to lower supply levels for Normura and Truk are not new. I've suggested this myself in the past. more so after Austrailian towns were made part of the continuous and automatic supply chain via their paved road network. A situation which greatly simplifies Allied defence of New Guniea. However more pressing isues were also present that needed addressing as well. Since many of those issues have been addressed to some degree, i'm not personally going to complain over the supply issue. Again, it will resolve itself once WitP debuts.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 38
- 1/17/2003 2:20:15 PM   
Veer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by XPav
[B]Bombardment missions cause large amounts of system damage. That doesn't bother me.

The most major unrealistic point of UV that affects everything is the unlimited fuel supply at Truk.

Now, one would of course point out that without that, the Japanese player wouldn't really have a fun game, and that's a very very important point. However, I do think that for the ultra-grognards sake, there really should be a switch to reduce Truk (and Noumea and Brisbane, of course) to realistic supply/fuel replenishment levels.

But its not going to happen. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

There was a thread/discussion a long time ago about this very issue. It was pretty much established that the Japs that little trouble getting fuel into Turk during the time period of UV, and so it was decided not to restrict their fuel supplies.

In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 39
- 1/17/2003 2:21:21 PM   
Nikademus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by strollen
[B]I think UV does model things like gun wear out pretty well albeit abstractly through system damage.

The 300 rounds per barrel is an optimum maintence in times of war I think battleship typically would go longer. The only penalty I could find for going longer is decreased accuracy (important for Ship to Ship combat but not critical for bombarding) In particular I bet the old refitted Pearl Harbor battleship were involved in heavy bombardments in the invasion of the central pacific didn't have time to go back for barrel replacement between missions.

[/B][/QUOTE]

They didn't have too. Replacement gun barrels were brought to the one's that had clearly worn out their current set. No one is certainly suggesting that ships be able to operate indefinately without some form of downtime. Some excellent suggestions have been made over on the WitP board, where the issue of incidental SYS damage is far more accute than in UV....I particularily like Mogami's idea of periodic refit being required, with a definate cap on incidental SYS. Ignorance of which would result in a 'roll' for critical failure of some component or another.

It is a much better idea than the general and continuous SYS accumulation which would, on a scale that WitP will hold, make sustained operations by warships all but impossible

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 40
- 1/17/2003 2:30:00 PM   
Veer

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Drongo
[B]
On a related note, it's not just the current total supply/fuel level that allows almost unrestricted operations. Its also the "instant" top up that the major bases receive each day. If that is not changed as well, you'd be able to avoid a lot of the restrictions by just shuttling your transports in and out on different days. [/B][/QUOTE]

Maybe change the instant top up to once a week? This won't really have much an effect on the IJN as the run between Turk and rabaul takes a week anyway, but it will be more accurate and the IJN will have to make a choice of wheater to base his ships out of Turk or Rabaul, not both as he can do now.

In time of war the first casualty is truth. - Boake Carter

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 41
- 1/17/2003 2:34:53 PM   
XPav

Alright, something here irritates the hell out of me.

There are some people here that are going "This problem will be solved with WiTP comes out."

Huh?. WiTP and UV, while sharing a similar engine, are different games. At this point, I'm not very inclined to buy WiTP because it looks like it'll be a micromanagement hell.

I suspect that other people are also also somewhat off-put by the assertion that "WiTP will fix all the realism problems in UV."

In addition, I'm slightly annoyed that "well, the users on the board back before the game released decided to have unlimited fuel and supply, so thats what it is", because, well, how the heck could they make a good decision without even having the game? :D Plenty of other things have changed in UV, maybe this should change to, eh?

If Matrix adds a "historical supply and fuel" switch, great. If they don't, we'll all survive somehow :D.

But this isn't something set in stone and isn't something that will automatically by fixed by the mere release of WiTP.

I love it when a plan comes together.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 42
- 1/17/2003 2:56:28 PM   
Nikademus

another factor that seriously affects the BB bombardment routines is the reletive game-invulnerability of the type against small caliber weapons.

While this is correct in terms of armor penetration of citidel or critical systems protected by heavy armor, (to which FLT and SYS are devoted too) smaller warships, including humble DD's could still make things dicey for the big ships by virtue of the incendiary effect of their HE fire.

As i alluded to earlier, night combat was not an environment well suited to expensive and highly valauable battleships. The simple reason being that night battles invariably mean close range "knife fights" vs the longer ranged more orderly lines of battle planned for pre-war in which these big ships would play a key role.

While most medium and small caliber shellfire would still be largely ineffective even at these closer ranges in terms of penetrating the vital areas of BB's , the HE fire (from DD and other small caliber weapons) could and did cause serious fire hazzards and affected the warship's ability to both control a battle as well as participate effectively. The closer range also means potentially alot more hits as well, so while a few HE incendiary hits might not cause a BB much concern, throw in a few dozen or more and things become less certain!

This is what happened to the Hiei at Guadalcanal and is a perfect example of the risk involved of commiting a capital ship to such an environment. Let us remember that it was not "logistical" issues that stopped the Japanese BB bombardments, it was the losses caused by actual combat.

However because of the way the damage model currently works, BB's (and many CA types) can operate with impunity vs HE small caliber fire.....torpedoes being the only threat (and USN torps of the period are of little in that area) I have even read of a "game tactic" where TF's made up entirely of BB's are formed to counter the game mechanics which stipulate that not all ships in a TF may participate in a battle due to a mryiad of historical factors (visibility.....fog of war....communication issues etc etc) Since "all" of the TF's ships are either BB's or CA's, the degredation effect of FOW issues is thus minimized. However this belies the whole purpose for escorts!

For WitP I have preposed modifcations and enhancements to the Damage Model which i feel will address this area of concern and help, along with fuel and supply conditions, eliminate the overuse of capital assets in shore bombardment.

Details of the changes i have preposed are still available for scrutiny over on the WitP forum but in regards to this specific issue, the primary "fix" would be the addition of a non SYS/FLT damage Hit Location that is nevertheless, unarmored to represent those non-critical, but volumous and unprotected areas of a large warship. While immune to SYS and FLT damage the HL would however be highly vulnerable to FIRE damage on a per hit basis. If accumulated in high enough quantities the FIRE levels would in turn cause the SYS and weapons systems damage normally reserved for "penetrating" hits in the present system and even more importantly, would incur increasingly likely and heavy penalties on warship efficiency in the battle it's particpating in the heavier the FIRE levels are (to represent disruption among command and crew)

On a side note....the additional benefit of this HL would be to eliminate the consistant low # of (penetrating) shell hits required to cripple/sink warships.....the tendancy of which becomes more extreme as warship size decreases in ratio to weapons size.

If implenented correctly, it would mean that one player would not necessarily have to have BB's of his own on station in order to thwart the bombardment attempts by his opponent. Even if the defender still comes up on the short end of the stick.....his efforts will have a greater chance of having affected the enemy at least enough to allow air assets to get in a strike on the withdrawling TF the next turn.....something already possible if enough damage is accrued (via direct penetration)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 43
- 1/17/2003 3:11:17 PM   
Nikademus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by XPav
[B]Alright, something here irritates the hell out of me.

There are some people here that are going "This problem will be solved with WiTP comes out."

Huh?. WiTP and UV, while sharing a similar engine, are different games. At this point, I'm not very inclined to buy WiTP because it looks like it'll be a micromanagement hell.

I suspect that other people are also also somewhat off-put by the assertion that "WiTP will fix all the realism problems in UV."

In addition, I'm slightly annoyed that "well, the users on the board back before the game released decided to have unlimited fuel and supply, so thats what it is", because, well, how the heck could they make a good decision without even having the game? :D Plenty of other things have changed in UV, maybe this should change to, eh?

If Matrix adds a "historical supply and fuel" switch, great. If they don't, we'll all survive somehow :D.

But this isn't something set in stone and isn't something that will automatically by fixed by the mere release of WiTP. [/B][/QUOTE]

Can understand that position. Like i said, i agree with and suggested long ago with other like minded individuals that the unlimited supply situation in UV was not entirely satisfactory and should be lowered. In fairness to Matrix though i also felt it should be pointed out that there were (and are) some issues more important than the supply issue.

The issue of unlimited supply in the Sopac theater in Witp "will" be solved by WitP because it simply will not exist therefore IMO its a low priority issue here. Feel free to disagree and i'm not saying your wrong, but thats how i see it.

I fail to see though how that statement can be translated into "all realism problems will be fixed by WitP" Were that the case then I could save myself alot of midnight oil :p

Finally, i myself push WitP because of the acknowledgement that Matrix has made major efforts above and beyond the call of duty to patch UV and acknowledge that at some point they have to devote more time to the next project to which all the lessons learned here will (hopefully) be applied.

Thus i dont personally push for more patches for UV. I'm satisfied with the effort Matrix and 2b3 have put out for it, and now look forward to seeing it all come together in WitP.

Suggestion for that game i still have aplenty :)

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 44
- 1/17/2003 8:43:29 PM   
Mr.Frag

Hmm, repairs USE supply instead of being automatically done coupled with player controlled repairs should pretty much deal nicely with this whole issue.

The fact that Truk gets unlimitted supplies doesn't really help one when repairing wear and tear on ships requires ships to travel back to Truk or you to carry the supplies forward to another base, which in turn increases damage thereby burning more supplies ... diminishing returns on repairs at the front ... would really add to the planning of operations and stop the virtual unlimited use of ships that we have now ...

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 45
- 1/17/2003 8:53:59 PM   
Knavey

I really don't have a problem with USN and IJN having unlimited supply points at certain bases. WitP will be different but given UVs limited scope, supplies coming from outside the theater should really not be a problem.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 46
- 1/17/2003 10:05:20 PM   
Bulldog61

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Veer
[B]There was a thread/discussion a long time ago about this very issue. It was pretty much established that the Japs that little trouble getting fuel into Turk during the time period of UV, and so it was decided not to restrict their fuel supplies. [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually The IJN had sever difficulties getting fuel to Truk. Mogami wrote several excellent pieces obout their difficulties supply Truk. If memory serves me correctly in Sept of 42 the IJN fuel reserves at Tokyo was only 65,000 barrels. The Yamato and Mutsu were moved to Truk for use as fuel bunkers as fuel storage facilities were totally inadequate.

There was a poll about what players wanted to do and
the poll came back that enough players didn't want to be hamstrung by logistic considerations.

The daily battleship bombardment is a result of this unlimited capability. System damage is a seperate issue.

Mike

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 47
- 1/17/2003 11:50:17 PM   
Yamamoto

I like the current system and find it immensely playable. It’s impossible to run more than five or six bombardment missions before a ship has enough damage to be sent back for repairs. I think most of the people complaining about bombardment missions have been the ones on the receiving ends of those missions. Perhaps they would feel differently if they saw the amount of system damage the bombarding ships were taking.

I was one of the ones who wanted unrestricted supply back before the game came out (and I still feel that way). The reason is the same reason I don’t like playing scenarios with the Midway option: I don’t like being hamstrung by conditions outside of the theater of which I can do nothing about. In WiTP I will accept the limitations Japan has on fuel and supply because I will be able to do something about it. I will be responsible for getting that supply to Japan and the allied player will have a chance to stop me. If you don’t like the supply situation in UV you can always send your subs up to Truk and hit every tanker the Japanese player has. After all, you know they all have to go there eventually. THAT’S how you “switch” off unlimited supply.

Yamamoto

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 48
Setting supply level option ... - 1/18/2003 12:51:01 AM   
gus

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Yamamoto
[B]I like the current system and find it immensely playable.
[/B][/QUOTE]

Yes the current system is fine in terms of playability, there is enough action to keep folks interested over the 19 months of the long campaigns and people appear willing to accept some obvious lapses in historical behavior to accomplish this. No matter how well intentioned our suggestions are they will never satisfy everyone in the playability/realism tug of war that inevitably occurs with games like this. But having the ability to determine for one self the supply level of the theater for both sides in the options menu as XPav suggests is a brilliant idea as it allows the user to customize the game more readily to their own taste without the need for the UV developers reworking the guts of the game engine. It is analogous to the fix for mine warfare which many people thought was harsh at first but severely curtailed those activities. Mines are still heavily abused in UV but at least I can no longer walk from Rabaul to Brisbane on all the mines I have laid. In the same manner, limiting supply does not address system/gun damage issue directly but it keeps the ships in port longer thereby reducing their activity and also limits land and air operations which is closer to what occurred IRL.

-g

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 49
- 1/24/2003 3:13:59 AM   
Yamamoto

For the sake of hypothetical discussion… For those who think Japanese oil and/or supply should be lower than it is, what do you think it should be? I prefer the current system but I just thought I’d ask everyone to get some opinions.

There is also the matter of Australia’s supply and/or oil. In PacWar the allies had to supply Australia. One of the main reasons Japan went into the theater where UV takes place was to cut Australia off from allied supply. Would it be nice to have an option to eliminate Brisbane’s auto supply too? It would certainly be more of a challenge for the allied player if he had to run supply to Australia. Personally, I liked it better before the auto-supply on the paved roads in Australia went in to effect around patch 2.0.

Yamamoto

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 50
- 1/24/2003 4:00:35 AM   
bilbow

I'd like to see each side's supply and fuel repleishments be closer to average historical levels. Overall theater supply should be a constraint, and require the player to plan ahead. The allied player should choose the portions that go to Noumea and Brisbane, depending on which area he was gearing up for an offensive.

I understand there was some debate about this pre-release. Why are the supply and fuel levels essentially infinite? If it was to allow a higher tempo for "fun" reasons then could that be a realism choice at the beginning of each game?

This would also serve to limit the massive amounts of supply one can cram into a size 1 forward base since there wouldn't be all that extra supply and fuel around anywhere.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 51
Just a thought... - 1/24/2003 4:45:15 AM   
Ron Saueracker

Just about every unit in UV has the inherent ability to suffer from morale and materiel/effectiveness degredation. Land units suffer disruption, pilots performance can suffer fatigue, both can suffer reduced effectiveness to low morale. Not so for ships however. They just suffer an abstract system damage model.

Sailors are people too, although bar owners in port cities may beg to differ. And ships require CONSTANT maintenance, as just about everything in a ship is CONSTANTLY online during a ships commission period.

So, ships should have additional ratings fields added to each unit. Morale is one, crew/materiel fatigue is another. Both would go a long way in abstractly modelling both ship crew/materiel condition and greatly effect the combat effectiveness/readiness of the specific unit and perhaps reduce both the size of force commitment and pace of force commitment in UV.

Also, because each unit now has a fatigue/materiel condition value, which rises and falls whith a short period of upkeep, I propose a much less rapid but much more severe system damage model. Let system damage accrued through operations be a much less frequent but theatre permanent value, requiring drydock/refit time off map.

And yes. An historical/non historical supply toggle in the realism menu would be greatly appreciated.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 52
- 1/24/2003 4:48:24 AM   
marc420

On the subject of more patches for UV, I would say that I've been very impressed with what John Tiller has been doing over at HPS.

For his Panzer Campaigns series, everytime he makes changes in the game for future games, he also goes back and creates patches for the previous games to add these changes back into those games.

So I would very much hope that when WITP is released, there will at some point be a patch for UV that updates UV with all the changes of the WITP system.

I fully understand that at some point all or most of Matrix Games' resources need to go into getting WITP out. What I'm saying is that once that is done, at that point I'd hope to see a patch for UV that updates UV to match the WITP game system.

In terms of the general debate, I'd like to see a game where there is at least the option of playing under a system that closely models historical conditions. Options can be turned on and off, or scenarios designed to create more "playable" conditions. But in a game like UV, I'd like at least the option to get conditions close to what the commanders really faced.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 53
Re: Just a thought... - 1/24/2003 4:48:54 AM   
Yamamoto

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ron Saueracker
[B]
And yes. An historical/non historical supply toggle in the realism menu would be greatly appreciated. [/B][/QUOTE]

So what kind of a number are we talking about? Right now it's 90000 a turn. What should the number be to be realistic?

Yamamoto

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 54
Re: Re: Just a thought... - 1/24/2003 5:06:29 AM   
Ron Saueracker

[B]So what kind of a number are we talking about? Right now it's 90000 a turn. What should the number be to be realistic?

Yamamoto [/B][/QUOTE]

That is a VERY good question. Hard to say what is realistic, but the present is obviously too high as fuel is never an issue for Japan at Truk. Perhaps the toggle should say fixed fuel levels/variable fuel levels for Japan, with the max value being more in the range of 45,000 (0 as the minimum as tankers did not arrive like clockwork at Truk or anywhere else for Japan) as this more accurately describes the effect I and many others are looking for. As Mike Kraemer stated, fuel was such an issue that for major IJN units to sortie, the IJN haad to plan ahead and stockpile the liquid gold.

Yammas from The Apo-Tiki Lounge. Future site of WITP AE benders! And then the s--t hit the fan

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 55
- 1/24/2003 6:31:56 AM   
ADavidB

A thought for all you folks who are coming up with "realism improvements" for UV - just remember what happened to Pacwar once the "realism or death" folks took over...

Dave Baranyi

( Who finds UV version 2.2 quite a lot of fun as it is. )

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 56
- 1/24/2003 6:48:50 AM   
Ron Saueracker

[B]

There is also the matter of Australia’s supply and/or oil. In PacWar the allies had to supply Australia. One of the main reasons Japan went into the theater where UV takes place was to cut Australia off from allied supply. Would it be nice to have an option to eliminate Brisbane’s auto supply too? It would certainly be more of a challenge for the allied player if he had to run supply to Australia. Personally, I liked it better before the auto-supply on the paved roads in Australia went in to effect around patch 2.0.

Yamamoto [/B][/QUOTE]

True enough. Can't just dump over the Japanese, now can we? Perhaps the fuel and supplies in Brisbane should have a lowered max as well (cut in half like Truk but not variable to represent shipping off map which was unaffected by IJN naval activity). Any further supply comes from Noumea via theatre assets, to represent supply and fuel from North America.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 57
- 1/24/2003 7:42:45 AM   
ADavidB

[B]For the sake of hypothetical discussion…

There is also the matter of Australia’s supply and/or oil. In PacWar the allies had to supply Australia. Yamamoto [/B][/QUOTE]

Huh??? As long as you had command centers there with leaders, you got lots of supplies automatically in Australia in Pacwar, just like everywhere else where you had leaders. Sure, if the Japanese player could isolate those leaders, the supply could be cut off, but you could always move Mac or any of the Anzac leaders anywhere you wanted to base them where it wasn't isolated.

In any event, what you and most folks are suggesting may be reasonble in WitP, but as far as UV goes, the system is working, so why fiddle with it too much?

As I said before, "beware" of trying to bring the reality level beyond the playability level - Pacwar is a "horrible example" of what can go very wrong when tweaks get out of control ( or get into the hands of someone with really strong biases ).

Dave Baranyi

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 58
- 1/24/2003 7:55:29 AM   
pasternakski

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ADavidB
[B]A thought for all you folks who are coming up with "realism improvements" for UV - just remember what happened to Pacwar once the "realism or death" folks took over...

Dave Baranyi

( Who finds UV version 2.2 quite a lot of fun as it is. ) [/B][/QUOTE]

Great post. 2.2 is as good as it got, although I am looking forward to the results of Jeremy Pritchard's Herculean efforts in v. 3.2. 2.3, 3.0, and 3.1 made me wonder "who let the dawgs out?"

For purposes of UV, we've got something that works competitively and no longer suffers from most of the early "teething problems," so I sez, "Play on, Garth" (maybe with a little noodging of the naval strike mechanics and elimination of the "one hex reaction" idiocy).

Put my faith in the people
And the people let me down.
So, I turned the other way,
And I carry on anyhow.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 59
Playability level - 1/24/2003 8:09:47 AM   
Ron Saueracker

[QUOTE]Originally posted by ADavidB
[B]Huh??? As long as you had command centers there with leaders, you got lots of supplies automatically in Australia in Pacwar, just like everywhere else where you had leaders. Sure, if the Japanese player could isolate those leaders, the supply could be cut off, but you could always move Mac or any of the Anzac leaders anywhere you wanted to base them where it wasn't isolated.

In any event, what you and most folks are suggesting may be reasonble in WitP, but as far as UV goes, the system is working, so why fiddle with it too much?

As I said before, "beware" of trying to bring the reality level beyond the playability level - Pacwar is a "horrible example" of what can go very wrong when tweaks get out of control ( or get into the hands of someone with really strong biases ).

Dave Baranyi [/B][/QUOTE]

I don't think the intent of this thread is to reduce the playability level...simply improve it. Doing so along historical baselines should not doom the game at the hands of realism freaks. In fact, conveyor belt bombardments TAKE AWAY from the playability of an historical wargame such as UV, they don't add to it. By having an optional setting for supply would not take away from the playability level for players who want to, well...play.

Cheers.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> Another Excellent Post Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI