Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Where are the German mortars

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Where are the German mortars Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Where are the German mortars - 1/17/2003 3:24:31 AM   
browning

Hallo everybody,

this is my first game on version 7.1 (I used to play 5.1 before that) and the first time that my mortars are just silent. They are intact, not moved, in contact, orders OK (C&C off for that matter), I assign them targets for bombardment, and get the ToT 0.5, which should mean after the enemy movement right? But I never see them fire... I can fire them "manually" or with that 'Z' key, though.

is there something wrong I am doing, or did I upgrade the game in a wrong way? (Since I couldn't get the patch for 5.1, I applied the one for 5.2 -> 6.2 :rolleyes: )
Post #: 1
- 1/17/2003 4:02:51 AM   
Belisarius

Browning, I believe the answer to your questions are directly above this thread:

[URL=http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=22905]Artillery management - T.O.T[/URL] :D

There's all you need to know about artillery management.

(btw, IIRC, a 0.5 delay means just that - you won't see your mortars firing)

Got StuG?

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 2
- 1/17/2003 4:48:15 AM   
rbrunsman

Check the number of rounds available before and after a turn to see if they are being fired. You may just not be seeing it but it is happening. Do you have Fast Artillery set ON in the preferences screen? This could be causing it to not show you the barrage.

I have noticed that in my PBEMs, I sometimes miss the arty graphics even with both players having Fast Arty OFF. I don't know why and it is not repeatable or consistent. Very strange.:confused:

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 3
- 1/17/2003 3:22:18 PM   
browning

They were not firing, the ammo stood at 40 all the time. Out of a sudden they started firing on the turn 5 or so and now I am happy. Maybe I was too far from the target, but I believe to have checked for this, besides the system accepted my plots, so...

Belisarius, thank you for the link - it will take some tim to digest.

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 4
- 1/18/2003 5:39:14 AM   
rbrunsman

If you are out of range, it won't let you plot the arty so you wouldn't see any arrival times.

What unit was acting as your FO? Maybe that unit was so bad that you misread a delay of 5.0 as 0.5. Perhaps??

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 5
- 1/19/2003 6:56:28 AM   
Capt. Pixel

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rbrunsman
[B]... you misread a delay of 5.0 as 0.5. Perhaps?? [/B][/QUOTE]

This might have happened if you were adjusting the delay time using the 'T' option on the Artillery page. If you'd entered 0.5, it might have changed to 5.0 because the turn delay only accepts full turn increments.

"Always mystify, mislead, and surprise the enemy, if possible. "
- Stonewall Jackson

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 6
- 1/25/2003 12:08:20 AM   
browning

I swear the delay was 0.5.

The observer was a platoon leader, well, respectively in each case, since I had 4 inf platoons with the 50mm Granatenwerfern.

Well I cannot reproduce it now. They were shelling as scheduled till the end of the battle, we'll see at the next opportunity what happens.

Greetings, and thanks for the replies!

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 7
- 1/27/2003 10:56:56 PM   
browning

Beginning of the new battle, the same result: I plot the mortar fire, I get the ToT 0.5, and no shells coming.

This time I know it was too far (some 20 hexes). The problem is, no message comes when I plot. Plotting-and-relocating however causes a message to pop up, saying that it's out of range. Well, a minor bug, IMO, when one knows it.

Thanks to all who contributed!

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 8
- 1/28/2003 12:43:07 AM   
rbrunsman

That is an annoying game quirk when you plot and then try to shift target but the computer tells you the range is too great when you are in fact shifting to a hex closer to the mortar. It makes it impossible to get a .3 or greater arrival time for your fast response mortars. Perhaps this was done on purpose for some reason.:confused:

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 9
- 1/28/2003 2:05:14 AM   
Redleg

I think that "bug" is only applicable if one is self-spotting the mortars. Doesn't seem to happen when spotted otherwise?

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 10
- 1/28/2003 10:01:55 AM   
Irinami

I know with the Japanese Knee Mortar Squads I have this very problem unless I have someone from the same Company as the KM Squad plotting. A0 won't even do, has to be someone from the same squad to adjust.

Newbies!!
Wild Bill's Tanks at Munda Mini-Campaign. The training campaign for comb

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 11
- 1/29/2003 4:10:41 PM   
browning

I spot with the platoon leader - didn't know that anyone else could :confused:

The bug consists in letting you pplot the barrage even though it is too far from the mortars.

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 12
- 1/29/2003 6:35:54 PM   
Voriax

Ugh..it's long time since I looked at this, but..

There are some cases where the vision range of the spotter determines whether mortars are in range or not.

So when you direct mortar fire with a spotter that sits next to mortar and the firing range is longer than maximum vision range, you get 'out of range' error. Switching to a spotter closer to the target area allows fire.

Strange, but true. I encountered it first time in one of the finns vs soviets scenarios.

Voriax

Oh God give Me strength to accept those things I cannot change with a firearm!

(in reply to browning)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Training Center >> Where are the German mortars Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI