Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

[ADDED B570] satellites orbit and positions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> [ADDED B570] satellites orbit and positions Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
[ADDED B570] satellites orbit and positions - 9/30/2013 6:34:15 AM   
aluminumx

Is there any way to change the start position and orbit of satellites? If so, how?

< Message edited by Sunburn -- 10/24/2014 6:15:26 PM >
Post #: 1
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 9/30/2013 10:54:48 AM   
bradinggs

Would be great if we could get it to plug into an open source satellite tracking program and import the positions in realtime or simulated.

(in reply to aluminumx)
Post #: 2
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 10/3/2013 7:33:04 PM   
smudge56

Ok just back after being away for my anniversary. Has to be done after buying this great game.

What can you do with satellites? Can they give you intelligence as they pass over targets etc.

(in reply to bradinggs)
Post #: 3
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 10/3/2013 7:37:44 PM   
Dimitris

Yes. They can be used either for locating new targets (see "The Four Horsemen" for a good example) or for performing BDA on already-known ones.

(in reply to smudge56)
Post #: 4
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 10/3/2013 11:38:34 PM   
smudge56

Ok have to ask what's BDA?

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 5
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 10/3/2013 11:42:27 PM   
nawarren

Battle Damage Assessment

(tells you how effective your attack was, i.e weather target is knocked out, and no longer a threat or weather you have to order another attack).

(in reply to smudge56)
Post #: 6
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 11/22/2013 4:06:54 PM   
El Savior

Is there a limit how many satellites can be in orbit same time? When I add all satellites for Soviet side (1983) and all for US, oddly only few US satellites was added and Soviets had plenty of them.

Secondly, it would be neat if we could add ALL current active satellites with one click. Example choose russian and all satellites orbiting that time will be added to scenario and deorbited or not launched will be disabled. Now I had to manually add each groups of satellities. Or am I doing something wrong?

< Message edited by El Savior -- 11/22/2013 5:07:53 PM >

El Savior

(in reply to nawarren)
Post #: 7
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 11/22/2013 4:13:54 PM   
Dimitris

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Savior
Is there a limit how many satellites can be in orbit same time? When I add all satellites for Soviet side (1983) and all for US, oddly only few US satellites was added and Soviets had plenty of them.

There is no hard limit. The numbers you see are historical; the Soviets did usually have more recon/surveillance sats up (the US had a lot more SIGINT & com-sats).

quote:

Secondly, it would be neat if we could add ALL current active satellites with one click. Example choose russian and all satellites orbiting that time will be added to scenario and deorbited or not launched will be disabled. Now I had to manually add each groups of satellities. Or am I doing something wrong?

Nice idea, thanks! Added to our stack.

(in reply to El Savior)
Post #: 8
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 11/22/2013 5:06:39 PM   
incredibletwo

+1 El Saviour

Are there ASAT missiles in DB3000?

"Fortune favours the bold"

(in reply to Dimitris)
Post #: 9
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 11/22/2013 6:07:50 PM   
Russian Heel

quote:

ORIGINAL: incredibletwo

+1 El Saviour

Are there ASAT missiles in DB3000?

(in reply to incredibletwo)
Post #: 10
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 11/23/2013 1:41:24 AM   
mrfeizhu

I think orbits satellites in lower space are some what fixed. They have some ability to change position but not by that much. Orbits very high in space are in a geosynchronous orbit, they will always be over on section of the earth. If there is a crises the government will lunch a satellite on a specific orbit this way they will have information on an area every 90 minutes or so depending on the height of the orbit. I like using satellites in the game. I never thought about them until seeing this post.

Old man sort of living in China for the last 10 years

(in reply to Russian Heel)
Post #: 11
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 11/23/2013 2:15:02 AM   
jdkbph

Interesting thought. Many low orbit satellites do have a limited ability to perform a plane change maneuver. This however requires a lot of delta v (applied perpendicular to the orbital plane at the ascending or descending node), which will use up quite a bit of fuel and shorten the life of the satellite. Not something to be done lightly, but doable.

JD

(in reply to mrfeizhu)
Post #: 12
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 11/23/2013 5:48:18 AM   
El Savior

You cant make modern scenario without satellites. They add another dimension and are very useful ELINT platforms. Still learning how to employ them but few test scenarios I made simple made scenarios feel more real when you have more information about the enemies.

Kudos to devs that they added this feature.

El Savior

(in reply to jdkbph)
Post #: 13
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 10/24/2014 5:15:10 PM   
Dimitris

One-click (per country) addition was added in Build 570.

(in reply to El Savior)
Post #: 14
RE: satellites orbit and positions - 10/24/2014 6:22:54 PM   
Feltan

quote:

ORIGINAL: El Savior

You cant make modern scenario without satellites. They add another dimension and are very useful ELINT platforms. Still learning how to employ them but few test scenarios I made simple made scenarios feel more real when you have more information about the enemies.

Kudos to devs that they added this feature.

I think that is rather a strong statement -- modern scenarios can indeed be made without satellites. I believe here is why:
- Not all modern nations have access to satellite information.
- The game already displays a wealth of intel data on the map; it would be easy to "over do" it and present an unrealistically high amount of accurate information.
- Not all satellites, and not all nations that operate them, expect or have the capability for real-time data transfer.
- Not many militaries are able to consume real-time satellite information, nor do they have the equipment/doctrine/training to suggest a satellite passing overhead is transferring data directly to tactical units deployed at sea or on land.

Personally, I haven't been adding satellite assets to my scenarios for those reasons. When you look at the map display, you are benefiting from satellites that passed over the area of operations hours, days or weeks ago already. Adding real-time satellite information is guilding the lily in many cases -- you already likely have a much better visualization of the battle space than a real-life commander would have.

Regards,
Feltan

(in reply to El Savior)
Post #: 15
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> [ADDED B570] satellites orbit and positions Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI