Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Wish List

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Requested Features and Ideas >> RE: The Wish List Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Wish List - 12/30/2013 6:35:08 AM   
DoubleDeuce

Don't believe that this has been mentioned yet but a button to export the Tactical Ops Center Diary reporting data directly to a txt file. I know you can copy and past it into a document manually but an easier way to export it would be nice, not a must have, just a nice to have.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 211
RE: The Wish List - 1/4/2014 12:15:17 AM   
rmacrae

On my wish list is that the game become even more of a command simulation. There needs settings for those who want that type of experience to restrict the information flowing the to player to be no more than what a brigade commander and his staff in the 1980’s would reasonably know. More chaos, more uncertainty, less direction to manoeuver units, greater use of chain of command, less fretting over pK's, 'viewpoint' focus for the design.

The map should display the only the last known/reported location of my units i.e. this may not be where they actually are located, as well as the contacts with enemy units as communicated by my units: communicated with varying degrees of accuracy: recon- high; units with screen/hold orders- medium high; hasty move orders -low accuracy, etc modified by veteran, green, etc class.

The hex by hex crawl of my units as they execute orders is not shown on my map, e.g. If a unit is sent on a road move of 10 km, the player would not watch it snake hex by hex over the 10km of road, he would see it in its start location, could toggle to its ordered location, but may only see an updated actual location on his map if it reports its arrival at its destination; if it is destroyed en route, and it fails to get out an ‘enemy contact’ flash, the player would never know its fate.
Frequent communications with HQ (if you wanted to view a hex by hex crawl) generates EW identification for display as a possible unit location on the oppositions map and a candidate for artillery.

There needs a setting whereby I can display on my map all enemy sightings and strength estimates in the last 15/30/60 /90 /120 minutes. Now an enemy icon appears and disappears, and I have to remember where I saw it. And I should only know of contact if it is communicated up the chain of command, not the mere act of engagement. The game in essence manages three maps, one- which is not visible to the players, is where all the units of both sides are actually located,; two – player 1’s map that shows the last reported locations of his own units, with a toggle to display their orders or ordered destinations, plus the last reported locations of enemy contacts as communicated to HQ; three – players 2’s map, which is like players 1’s, mutatis mutandis .

It would be nice to have more doctrine flavour displayed by the units in their execution of orders. The West trumpets the initiative of their soldiers. This is to be implemented by units unilaterally changing their orders – and not just under the pressures of a combat result. Initiative is not just executing exactly what you are told, but faster. This feature would operate by having some Western units changing their screen orders to hold orders, or a deliberate move changed to an assault, or adding another way point to a move etc, initiative being displayed as a bias for more aggression. These order changes would not communicated to the commander (player) until the post game debrief. Units could have personality settings for its commander, thereby giving the player an estimate of who will be reckless. While the West accommodates an extremely hostile EW environment with initiative, the Soviets rely on well-practiced drills to perform battlefield evolutions with the minimum of command input. In these circumstances the Soviet order cycle should be shorter than that of the West. This could be implemented by allowing the Soviet player to give orders at each waypoint, e.g from start to waypoint 1: move hasty, to way point 2: move deliberate, to way point 3: assault. The rigidity of the drill is displayed by the formation being religiously held until the next way point is reached even if the encountered opposition warrants a stop ,or screen, or in this example, an earlier posture of move deliberate than waypoint 2. Except for their recon units, the typical Soviet unit would be slower to send intell and contact info up the chain of command. The Soviets may be faster in their formation evolutions, but would be slower than the West in integrating a 'big picture' view of the battlefield for the player (commander).

As a general interface paradigm, during the orders phase, a nice option would be to have the core of the screen present reports on units in a tabular format, with a small side window that bounces around the map to show the location of a units selected(clicked) on the report., e.g unit ID on the y-axis, measure (status, orders, morale, ammo, etc) on the x-axis. This way I can review entire battalions/regiments with one screen view . (this info would be of varying degrees of accuracy as determined by when units last reported, etc.) and other reports of enemy contacts, location, estimated strength, direction, etc.

(in reply to Hexagon)
Post #: 212
RE: The Wish List - 1/5/2014 4:12:05 PM   
Tazak

The ability to name objectives

seems a little one but would add a flavour to mission briefing i.e. take and hold VL at grid 1234 vs. take and hold objective Bravo

AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO

(in reply to rmacrae)
Post #: 213
RE: The Wish List - 1/8/2014 3:51:44 AM   
Burnsj002

Okie forgive me if this has been brought up before. My wish is to replay a completed game i.e. a game from start to finish. So I can study it. (currently you can only replay the last turn) --unless I'm wrong. View it as either Player one Commander or Player two Commander or both. I want to sit and eat popcorn a re-watch the game that I have either lost or won...
Also can you please, please have a pop up menu warning you that you are about to end a game... three games I accidently ended instead of saving it... ugh! Please!

Anyway peace

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 214
RE: The Wish List - 1/8/2014 3:55:22 AM   
Burnsj002

< Message edited by Burnsj002 -- 1/14/2014 8:34:14 PM >

(in reply to Burnsj002)
Post #: 215
RE: The Wish List - 1/13/2014 6:52:57 PM   
IronManBeta

rmacrae - thank you for the very thoughtful post. You bring up a lot of good points and things that we have discussed many times in the past.

I was originally inspired by Simulation Canada's Main Battle Tank (MBT) game which was an 1980 text-mode game that had a design philosophy very much like what you describe. There was a lot of information hiding in the sense that you could not see the battlefield as it was right now, but only as it had been reported on at various points by various units in the past. You had to truly evaluate the reports (often fragmentary) that came in and piece them together so as to construct a mental map of what must be happening in real time. This was a deliberate design feature of that game and the SimCan developer told me that it was meant to be chaotic and confusing because that what a real command viewpoint was like. He advised me to keep the unit count low and the number of possible operations small in the new game otherwise any reasonable person would simply by overwhelmed and give up.

A lot of this thought went into the initial FPG / FPRS design but playtesting pressure gradually squeezed it out. It was just too hard to tell if the game was running correctly or not based on what the playtesters were telling me. That might sound like a stupid reason but I could not release a game I could not be sure was running even approximately correctly!

For example, I would have a reporting doctrine for friendly units. They would report in every x minutes or whenever they spotted the enemy or did certain actions. This was all configurable per unit and the Unit Description Panel would say on it when the current unit report had been received at. Frequent reports would be more accurate but much more likely to give the enemy valuable sigint info up to practically inviting an arty stonk on both parties to the conversation. (That was particularly tough on HQs trying to coordinate a lot of subordinates.) Trying to find a reasonable reporting doctrine and then to know when to change it for altered circumstances added a lot of bookkeeping to the game. People would be lazy and ignore it and so the UDP would frequently it would be out of date and inaccurate. Then I would get all kinds of bogus complaints. That whole information management game was so frustrating that I eventually had to turn it off.

This came right after I had read Chandler's Campaigns of Napoleon where he made such a point that Napoleon's superior ability to construct and track a battle in his head was one of the secrets of his genius. Trying to actually portray that though just led to a lot of frustration.

More recently we have considered units disappearing or becoming semi-transparent ghost units if they go out of command or red-line due to morale / ammo / readiness issues. We would also like to show timestamps again so that we can tell how old spotting reports are, etc.

I like your three map suggestion as that really makes it clear what is intended.

"More doctrine flavour" and personality settings. I would like to start adding more of these in future versions. Right now I have a general 'national doctrine' that governs local initiative and risk aversion. They apply the same to all units. With named leaders I could create modifiers that would shape subordinate units. Per your suggestion some of the modifiers might be known in advance (this particular commander is known to be unusually by-the-book or otherwise wrt local initiative) and some would be unknown (perhaps something like how many subordinates he can effectively control at once in a combat situation). You would then start to assign missions to leaders who seemed better suited to the requirements of the mission.

If I could figure out a cluster of new options that would convey some of this command simulation viewpoint then I could roll it out as a new game option - something like a "Nightmare setting". This would allow people to get used to the game gradually and then try out this more realistic option when they were ready.

Yes, there is lots to consider. Thanks for your suggestions, Rob C

quote:

ORIGINAL: rmacrae

On my wish list is that the game become even more of a command simulation. There needs settings for those who want that type of experience to restrict the information flowing the to player to be no more than what a brigade commander and his staff in the 1980’s would reasonably know. More chaos, more uncertainty, less direction to manoeuver units, greater use of chain of command, less fretting over pK's, 'viewpoint' focus for the design.

The map should display the only the last known/reported location of my units i.e. this may not be where they actually are located, as well as the contacts with enemy units as communicated by my units: communicated with varying degrees of accuracy: recon- high; units with screen/hold orders- medium high; hasty move orders -low accuracy, etc modified by veteran, green, etc class.

The hex by hex crawl of my units as they execute orders is not shown on my map, e.g. If a unit is sent on a road move of 10 km, the player would not watch it snake hex by hex over the 10km of road, he would see it in its start location, could toggle to its ordered location, but may only see an updated actual location on his map if it reports its arrival at its destination; if it is destroyed en route, and it fails to get out an ‘enemy contact’ flash, the player would never know its fate.
Frequent communications with HQ (if you wanted to view a hex by hex crawl) generates EW identification for display as a possible unit location on the oppositions map and a candidate for artillery.

There needs a setting whereby I can display on my map all enemy sightings and strength estimates in the last 15/30/60 /90 /120 minutes. Now an enemy icon appears and disappears, and I have to remember where I saw it. And I should only know of contact if it is communicated up the chain of command, not the mere act of engagement. The game in essence manages three maps, one- which is not visible to the players, is where all the units of both sides are actually located,; two – player 1’s map that shows the last reported locations of his own units, with a toggle to display their orders or ordered destinations, plus the last reported locations of enemy contacts as communicated to HQ; three – players 2’s map, which is like players 1’s, mutatis mutandis .

It would be nice to have more doctrine flavour displayed by the units in their execution of orders. The West trumpets the initiative of their soldiers. This is to be implemented by units unilaterally changing their orders – and not just under the pressures of a combat result. Initiative is not just executing exactly what you are told, but faster. This feature would operate by having some Western units changing their screen orders to hold orders, or a deliberate move changed to an assault, or adding another way point to a move etc, initiative being displayed as a bias for more aggression. These order changes would not communicated to the commander (player) until the post game debrief. Units could have personality settings for its commander, thereby giving the player an estimate of who will be reckless. While the West accommodates an extremely hostile EW environment with initiative, the Soviets rely on well-practiced drills to perform battlefield evolutions with the minimum of command input. In these circumstances the Soviet order cycle should be shorter than that of the West. This could be implemented by allowing the Soviet player to give orders at each waypoint, e.g from start to waypoint 1: move hasty, to way point 2: move deliberate, to way point 3: assault. The rigidity of the drill is displayed by the formation being religiously held until the next way point is reached even if the encountered opposition warrants a stop ,or screen, or in this example, an earlier posture of move deliberate than waypoint 2. Except for their recon units, the typical Soviet unit would be slower to send intell and contact info up the chain of command. The Soviets may be faster in their formation evolutions, but would be slower than the West in integrating a 'big picture' view of the battlefield for the player (commander).

As a general interface paradigm, during the orders phase, a nice option would be to have the core of the screen present reports on units in a tabular format, with a small side window that bounces around the map to show the location of a units selected(clicked) on the report., e.g unit ID on the y-axis, measure (status, orders, morale, ammo, etc) on the x-axis. This way I can review entire battalions/regiments with one screen view . (this info would be of varying degrees of accuracy as determined by when units last reported, etc.) and other reports of enemy contacts, location, estimated strength, direction, etc.

(in reply to rmacrae)
Post #: 216
RE: The Wish List - 1/22/2014 10:16:54 AM   
Tazak

The ability to add to the core force over time in campaigns

e.g.
battle 1
TF A (core)
TF B (temp)

Battle 2
TF A (core)
TF C (core)
TF D (temp)

Battle 3
TF A (core)
TF C (core)
TF E (core)
TF F (temp)

and so on

AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO

(in reply to IronManBeta)
Post #: 217
RE: The Wish List - 1/22/2014 11:24:30 AM   
CapnDarwin

Nice idea on the adding to core. I guess removing would be cool too.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder
On Target Simulations LLC

(in reply to Tazak)
Post #: 218
RE: The Wish List - 1/22/2014 2:19:16 PM   
daferg

I agree so I guess I do this: +1

The time frame would not have to be huge. 1981 had the appearance of the M2 Bradley. 1980 was the year the M1 Abrams was fielded. 1987 was the deployment of the 120mm M1A1 MBT. I do not know when the M-60 TTS came out but that was a game changer along with the US FASCAM mine system. I am more familiar with US equipment but I can only imagine the WARSAW PACT forces have notable years for equipment.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 219
RE: The Wish List - 1/22/2014 6:12:17 PM   
daferg

I looked through all 8 pages and noticed nobody has requested the EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle. I, for one, think it would be a real game changer for the NATO forces.

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 220
RE: The Wish List - 1/22/2014 7:27:48 PM   
Primarchx

Is Czechoslovakia an included theater of ops in this game? Is Wisconsin?

quote:

ORIGINAL: ferg1234

I looked through all 8 pages and noticed nobody has requested the EM-50 Urban Assault Vehicle. I, for one, think it would be a real game changer for the NATO forces.

(in reply to daferg)
Post #: 221
RE: The Wish List - 4/10/2014 8:12:45 AM   
Jafele

Don´t know if it has been mentioned before but I´d love to be able to move the screen using the mouse.

< Message edited by Jafele -- 4/10/2014 9:13:23 AM >

(in reply to Primarchx)
Post #: 222
RE: The Wish List - 4/10/2014 12:33:48 PM   
CapnDarwin

Jafele, you can. Just left click on an empty area of the map and drag while holding the mouse button down. It is the method I use all the time.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 223
RE: The Wish List - 4/10/2014 12:59:21 PM   
Jafele

Wow! Thanks for the info

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 224
RE: The Wish List - 4/10/2014 7:27:56 PM   
Xenomorph

Wodin really nailed the good ones above. What I can think of at the moment:

1. The ability to edit casualties in game. Meaning: if you want to pause and play a local battle using another game at the squad level (MR has clearly worked on the ones I'm thinking of) and then take those results and incorporate them into a larger FCRS battle. I'm certain you guys have seen the boards where folks have long been looking for a game offering such an ability. (No need to respond to this one. Just for your reference esp since I've asked it before. Plus I don't have time to read these entire threads so maybe its already been brought up.)

2. I'm sure this is a tough one but anything that can be done to streamline the engine to make bigger maps w more units that won't bog down the system too much would be huge for me. I like huge battles even if they take a long time to resolve but I believe I'm not typical in that regard. (I'd not be surprised if you're thinking about duct taping Xenomorph on the front of your lead T-80 but, hey, just askin'.)

Thanks as always for a great game!

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 225
RE: The Wish List - 4/11/2014 2:51:24 AM   
IronMikeGolf

Hi,

New to the game and community, so if I repeat things already hashed out earlier in this thread, just count it as another vote.

1. Task organizing: As NATO (at least with US forces), I should be able to task organize, including units on the reinforcement schedule. Example: 3-41 IN starts on map and 2-66 AR is a reinforcement at say 3 hours. I should be able to swap a mech company and a tank company and end up with the mech company arriving with 2-66 AR and the tank company on map at start.

2. Reorganizing: I don't see any issue (at least with US Forces) with folding damaged platoons of like type inside a company together. Those guys do know each other by voice over the radio and have worked together. The reorg does happen in training, too, at maneuver training centers (at least it did in the 80's and 90's when I was in light and mech inf battalions).

3. More of a scenario design issue, but it feels like the recon/counter-recon fight is missing from the dance. So, if Pact is attacking at BMNT, the previous 6-10 hours has seen a lot of activity in sector by Pact recon and whoever gets the nod to go BRDM hunting.

4. Don't know if the game engine takes into account relative elevation differences in regards to cover when resolving direct fire.

5. I know logistics is abstracted, but combat and field trains ought to be on the map and if they get hit, it should degrade resupply of ammo (increase time, ration ammo, etc). Maybe the time length of a scenario makes it moot. Maybe not. Sure would have an impact on follow-on fights in a campaign.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 226
RE: The Wish List - 4/11/2014 11:24:00 AM   
CapnDarwin

Jeff,

Welcome to the dance. I will circle back this evening and answer/comment on your points. Thanks for posting your thoughts.

(in reply to IronMikeGolf)
Post #: 227
RE: The Wish List - 4/11/2014 3:23:47 PM   
IronMikeGolf

S2? S2? S2!?!?! Where the f&*(#K is my S2? I see his 577 right over there!

I spent some time in S3 and G3 shops (when not in a Bradley turret). Radio b*)ch/Battle Sgt. We tracked the bad guys. We had the bad guys OB and kept track of strength of MRCs based on contact reports. I am thinking something like the friendly OB in the BIC with a % strength. Maybe it starts just down to Bn level and fleshes out as units make contact. And yeah, units get identified by name. That's realistic.

That kind of info (accounting for location of enemy (units) REALLY helps you decide when/if to make a counter attack. Accounting for everyone on the battle field tells you if/when he's committed his reserve, etc.

< Message edited by Iron Mike Golf -- 4/11/2014 4:24:47 PM >

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to Elfastball7)
Post #: 228
RE: The Wish List - 4/11/2014 4:16:30 PM   
Tazak

Iron Mike Golf: You can do something akin to this at present, if you know a BMP regiment has 142 APC/MICV the staff screen tracks kills of various kinds, be aware there is a call for greater level FOW that would seem to at opposites to what your thinking of

AUCTO SPLENDORE RESURGO

Post #: 229
RE: The Wish List - 4/11/2014 4:28:07 PM   
IronMikeGolf

Yeah, I know I can keep track of kills and I could open the editor to get the starting OB and watch the TOC log for unit ID. I am simply nominating this to be n AI staff function and integrate it into the UI. I agree, we do have most of the info (except starting OB run through a FOW filter) and can do it manually. It would really slow things down. Enough to make it a full time player job.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to Tazak)
Post #: 230
RE: The Wish List - 4/23/2014 2:34:57 AM   
trebcourie

quote:

ORIGINAL: Burnsj002

Okie forgive me if this has been brought up before. My wish is to replay a completed game i.e. a game from start to finish. So I can study it. (currently you can only replay the last turn) --unless I'm wrong. View it as either Player one Commander or Player two Commander or both. I want to sit and eat popcorn a re-watch the game that I have either lost or won...

I would love this -- a good replay of the game, especially in a save-able file so that I can keep each and every battle I wage.

(in reply to Burnsj002)
Post #: 231
RE: The Wish List - 5/3/2014 7:46:30 PM   
IronMikeGolf

Helos should land and be vulnerable to indirect fires while doing resupply. Currently, they remain in the air (and so can spot further) and suffer no consequences of receiving arty.

Helos are a huge combat multiplier and given that, I think we should have FARP type units on the map. It would be a really big deal to lose that and would also increase rearm/refuel cycle times for helos. That's because, there'd likely be a single one per side in a scenario and so it would be placed further to the rear than a Bn or Bde.Regt CP, which is currently used for helo resupply, in order to increase its survivability.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to trebcourie)
Post #: 232
RE: The Wish List - 5/3/2014 9:05:54 PM   
CapnDarwin

Helo's should be vulnerable to indirect fire if they are sitting still in a hex hovering or resupplying. I'll verify the resupply mode/on call is not doing something odd this weekend.

FARPs and other loggy functions are abstracted out (for now). It is a layer of mechanics that would take some time to implement in the current engine. Once we get into our 2.1 mode we can talk in-house on what would be needed to do a simple loggy system.

Post #: 233
RE: The Wish List - 5/3/2014 9:48:28 PM   
IronMikeGolf

Cool, on the FARP.

On the indirect vs helos in resupply, I made a scenario and put a Hind flight in resupply. Hit it with suppression and neutralization missions, including a three banger of neut. Readiness unchanged and no hits. I'll try a huge number of M109's and slam it and see what happens.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 234
RE: The Wish List - 5/3/2014 10:14:45 PM   
CapnDarwin

Can you post your scenario in the Tech section and I'll run it while in the IDE/debugger and see if I can trap what is going on. I did not see anything that should be hampering that fires, but it seems like something is of the rails in that case.

Thanks!

Post #: 235
RE: The Wish List - 5/3/2014 10:30:07 PM   
IronMikeGolf

OK, it is having effect. It would help if I had eyes on target the first time I tried it.

I did find another bug. I'll post it on Tech Spt.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

Post #: 236
RE: The Wish List - 5/3/2014 11:54:19 PM   
CapnDarwin

No problem. There's a lot of stuff going on in the code to do combat so I'll bet we'll be digging small, odd, in the weeds bugs for a while. Also adds to the fun adding new features that compound the mix too.

Post #: 237
RE: The Wish List - 5/4/2014 12:29:37 AM   
IronMikeGolf

Not a bug. MLRS ICM stomps 'em pretty good. So does a few iterations of bn 3 from Corps arty. Got the helos to take some hits and go to 1% Readiness.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 238
RE: The Wish List - 5/5/2014 10:36:49 PM   
HeinzHarald

What I want most is better performance. I don't mind watching the action, but clicking and scrolling is a bit too laggy on the computer I prefer to use (i5 dual core, 4GB RAM, Intel HD4000). It's not the best of computers for sure, but it should be possible to make the game run better I would think.

Post #: 239
RE: The Wish List - 5/6/2014 1:49:28 AM   
IronMikeGolf

I'd like to see fire control measures:

Arty control measures: CFL, FSCL. These would be modeled by affecting delay. In-scenaro artillery TRPs. By this I mean, I should be able to make a target list and update throughout the scenario. These would take time to become effective and would reduce time to fire. Registered targets. These would be like what is currently in the game now, but would be the fastest arty missions. Also, it would require expending rounds (arty units start with fewer rounds) and accuracy/effectiveness would be increased. Should only be applicable to units set up in a defense.

ADA control measures: weapon control status (Hold, Tight, and Free), a toggle to permit/deny AD units engaging ground units (other than self defense).

Direct fire control measures: Engagement areas, sectors (for plt and smaller), engagement criteria (range, min size force, distance from a hex), engagement priority (tank, IFV, C3 vehicle, AD vehicle, AT vehicle, recon vehicle, probably others, too. Probably specify top 3, everything else is equal). I'd use inheritance, so if you set something for a Bn, you don't need to go to every plt.

Units should shoot closest to farthest when shooting the same priority. Currently, a unit will split its fire all over the place, engaging a tank company at 1500 meters, then the next time it fires, it shoots at another tank company at 3000 meters, even though the closer one is still combat effective. The company at 1500 is more dangerous and we trained to shoot that before shifting fires to the same sort of target that is further way. This really ought to get fixed soonest.

Jeff
Sua Sponte

(in reply to HeinzHarald)
Post #: 240
Page:   <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Requested Features and Ideas >> RE: The Wish List Page: <<   < prev  5 6 7 [8] 9   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI