Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

anyone else?

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> anyone else? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
anyone else? - 10/22/2013 10:47:41 PM   
CptHowdy

when im playing I feel like rocky balboa watching Apollo creed get beaten to death by ivan drago. I want to throw in the towel but my troops keep saying, "no, I got this!"
Post #: 1
RE: anyone else? - 10/23/2013 4:21:01 PM   
wodin

yes and I love it for it..praying for the possibility they drop below 30% before you..what happened to em in Thors Hammer..I dropped to 29% the Russkies where at 31%!

< Message edited by wodin -- 10/23/2013 4:24:17 PM >

(in reply to CptHowdy)
Post #: 2
RE: anyone else? - 10/23/2013 9:24:16 PM   
Duck Doc

Yes, adds a whole dimension to the game. Attrition, I have learned, is a double-edged sword. Careful how you wield it. Things can turn south in a heart-beat. This is part of the magic of the game.

(in reply to CptHowdy)
Post #: 3
RE: anyone else? - 10/23/2013 9:29:12 PM   
nukkxx5058

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin
praying for the possibility they drop below 30% before you..[...] I dropped to 29% the Russkies where at 31%!

Well, this is precisely what I dislike in the sudden death system :-) This makes no sense to me...
29% vs 31% makes no difference. So why should one get the victory ?

(in reply to wodin)
Post #: 4
RE: anyone else? - 10/23/2013 11:01:21 PM   
Mad Russian

One more time.

nukkxx,
Do you have reinforcements about to arrive? Does the other side? Are your forces out of ammo? Is the other side? Out of fuel? What about having new orders that were just given to you? Battles end for a myriad of reasons. We chose a loss of unit level. That may change.

Sudden Death is not necessarily determining who the winner is. It's a way to determine that the fight is over. The fight is over sometimes for obvious reasons and sometimes not so obvious reasons. If you commander radios you and tells you to stop right there that's what you do. You can question that decision or not. You can question a Sudden Death call or not.

The answer is still the same the battle is over. Every battle has a start and an end. This is how we chose to end the game with a variable ending instead of a fixed one. Fixed endings are subject to several gamey tactics like flag rushing, not being worried about losses, etc. Variable endings keep most of those from taking place.

So, the current system needs tweaking. We are. But Sudden Death is not going to go away. It is how the games are going to end. At least any that I have a say in. Because very few times in military history has a commander looked at his watch and said, "Oh, it's 3 o'clock. Time to stop the battle now."

Good Hunting.

MR

< Message edited by Mad Russian -- 10/23/2013 11:04:50 PM >

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to nukkxx5058)
Post #: 5
RE: anyone else? - 10/23/2013 11:12:11 PM   
british exil

MR the british did often in WWII, they looked at their watch a said it was time for a brew. Maybe a reason why every British tank since the Centurion, and most other British AFVs, Challenger 2 contains a boiling vessel (BV) also known as a kettle or bivvie for water which can be used to brew tea, produce other hot beverages and heat boil-in-the-bag meals contained in ration packs.[13] This BV requirement is general for armoured vehicles of the British Armed Forces, and is unique to the armed forces of the UK.

If I am correct, a british armour group was destroyed by german units in WWII as they were caught haveing a tea break during battle. = sudden death.

One wonders?

Mat

"It is not enough to expect a man to pay for the best, you must also give him what he pays for." Alfred Dunhill

WitE,UV,AT,ATG,FoF,FPCRS

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 6
RE: anyone else? - 10/23/2013 11:54:16 PM   
deadsunwheel

(in reply to british exil)
Post #: 7
RE: anyone else? - 10/24/2013 3:22:37 AM   
trebcourie

quote:

ORIGINAL: CptHowdy

when im playing I feel like rocky balboa watching Apollo creed get beaten to death by ivan drago. I want to throw in the towel but my troops keep saying, "no, I got this!"

I often cuss my units when they don't perform to expectations, cheer when they make a nice kill or three, then cuss them again when they're taken out. I may have even jumped out of my chair a time or two...

(in reply to CptHowdy)
Post #: 8
RE: anyone else? - 10/24/2013 3:42:22 AM   
budd

I'm fine with it i just want the option to continue if i want. A big aspect of this game is learning how to preserve your force,which i am very slowly learning, but i like the fact that its a big deal it puts you too the questions i.e. is it worth it to hold here, whats it going to cost to take this objective, did i soften it up enough ect. ect. To me its another plus in the replayability factor of the game....I can do better next time. Alot of games all you have to do is take the VP's ...damn the cost.It ain't perfect and its made me a yell a couple of times....I ended with 80% of my force and the WP had 28% , but all the VP's which i was about to retake when the battle ended over an hour early in a contested result. Not happy for a moment, but the ride was fun as hell. It's not the destination but the journey that's the thing, the end screen ain't gonna ruin my fun getting there.

Enjoy when you can, and endure when you must. ~Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"Be Yourself; Everyone else is already taken" ~Oscar Wilde

*I'm in the Wargamer middle ground*
I don't buy all the wargames I want, I just buy more than I need.

(in reply to deadsunwheel)
Post #: 9
RE: anyone else? - 10/24/2013 3:52:43 AM   
Mad Russian

We're trying to have the end of the ride be just as good as the journey.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to budd)
Post #: 10
RE: anyone else? - 10/24/2013 11:56:08 AM   
wodin

I love sudden death myself...but if others don't I see no problem in making it optional.

Sudden Death doesn't mean you win either which I also like.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> anyone else? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI