Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

A Question For You Experts Out There

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> A Question For You Experts Out There Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
A Question For You Experts Out There - 1/20/2003 2:31:27 AM   
siRkid

How much was nighttime strafing attacks used during the war?

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

Post #: 1
Not an Expert, but... - 1/20/2003 2:47:39 AM   
PBYPilot

The only situation I'm familiar with was some of the Black Cat PBY's were fitted with grouped, forward firing .50's for barge interdiction. But the key isn't the armament, it's the existence and use of radio altimeters, which allowed aircraft to fly low over featureless water without going "kersplash" (normally very difficult to do by eye alone.)

Anybody know if they did that with any other attack planes? In the Atlantic they used searchlights on anitsubmarine patrol aircraft for night strafing and attack.

PBYPilot
"Slow airplanes and fast women."

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 2
Low altitude - 1/20/2003 3:26:03 AM   
mogami

Hi, Early skip bombing attacks were all done at night.
Full Moon or flares dropped to light target and then the aircraft would drop down from 2k to 100 to 200 feet.
Works ok against large targets like ships but for dug in troops
not very well.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 3
- 1/20/2003 3:41:23 AM   
siRkid

I was thinking mainly of strafing attacks against bases and airfields.

Former War in the Pacific Test Team Manager and Beta Tester for War in the East.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 4
- 1/20/2003 3:56:23 AM   
Nikademus

I have not heard of any to tell you the truth. Sakai specifically mentions nighttime medium bomber "nuisance raids" that tried to keep them up all night and not allow them rest. Damage was minimal and often negatory in results. Eventually they learned to just tune it out mostly!

And of course "Washing Machine Charlie" is well documented at Guadalcanal (singular bombing attacks)

Nighttime strafing would seem to me an extremely difficult, highly dangerous and unprofitable venture.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 5
- 1/20/2003 4:14:28 AM   
PBYPilot

No references to night strafing in any of the indexed cites on strafing in Bergerud's "Fire in the Sky". If anything there's a quote that seems to rule it out. One of the Beaufighter pilots talks about strafing (barges, again) at dawn and dusk, because they moved at night. Obviously, if they could have strafed them at night when they were moving, they would have done so.

So gotta agree with Nikademus - maybe possible but very high risk of loss of aircraft and very low chance of hitting anything.

PBYPilot

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 6
- 1/20/2003 11:17:45 AM   
Raverdave

Just finished looking at all of my books, and nope, can't see anything about night straffing ground targets.....ships yes as per Mogami and PBY...would be a brave pilot who did if you ask me.

Never argue with an idiot, he will only drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 7
Here is the AAR That prompted me to ask - 1/20/2003 11:29:38 AM   
siRkid

These are all night attacks.

AFTER ACTION REPORTS FOR 06/05/43

Weather: Partly Cloudy

Air attack on Gili Gili , at 17,42

Japanese aircraft
Ki-21 Sally x 31
Ki-49 Helen x 8

Allied aircraft

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
B-25J Mitchell x 1 destroyed
B-25J Mitchell x 5 damaged
SBD Dauntless x 2 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 4 damaged
P-40E Kittyhawk x 1 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 9 damaged

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 139

Airbase hits 5
Runway hits 19

Attacking Level Bombers:
20 x Ki-21 Sally at 100 feet
8 x Ki-49 Helen at 100 feet
11 x Ki-21 Sally at 100 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Woodlark Island , at 22,39

Japanese aircraft
Ki-48 Lily x 20

Allied aircraft

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-38G Lightning x 2 destroyed
P-38G Lightning x 29 damaged

Airbase hits 2
Airbase supply hits 1
Runway hits 5

Attacking Level Bombers:
20 x Ki-48 Lily at 100 feet

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Air attack on Irau , at 42,43

Japanese aircraft
G3M Nell x 12
G4M1 Betty x 37
Ki-48 Lily x 15

Allied aircraft

no losses

Allied aircraft losses
SBD Dauntless x 9 destroyed
SBD Dauntless x 43 damaged
P-40E Kittyhawk x 3 destroyed
P-40E Kittyhawk x 5 damaged
P-40E Warhawk x 1 destroyed
P-40E Warhawk x 1 damaged
F4U-1 Corsair x 4 destroyed
F4U-1 Corsair x 6 damaged

Allied ground losses:
Men lost 10

Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 47

Attacking Level Bombers:
5 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
6 x G3M Nell at 100 feet
9 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
7 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
11 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
15 x Ki-48 Lily at 100 feet
5 x G4M1 Betty at 100 feet
6 x G3M Nell at 100 feet

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 8
Re: Here is the AAR That prompted me to ask - 1/21/2003 12:47:10 AM   
PBYPilot

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Kid
[B]These are all night attacks. [/B][/QUOTE]
Sure seems a wee bit ahistorical to me... :eek:

Actually I don't mind night low level attacks. It's just the attacker should have about 90% operational casualties when they do so. :D And much lower attack effectiveness.

I don't believe the Japanese ever developed either radio altimeters, or airborne search radar, which are the only things that allowed the allies to conduct their low level naval interdiction raids at night.

And neither side did the kind of low level night ground attack being shown with devastating effectiveness in Kid's[/B] example.

One more for the list, if a list even exists.

PBYPilot

Edited because I can't spell and type at the same time.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 9
Re: Re: Here is the AAR That prompted me to ask - 1/21/2003 1:20:37 AM   
siRkid

[QUOTE]Originally posted by PBYPilot
[B]One more for the list, if a list even exists.

[/B][/QUOTE]

LOL, I am the keeper of the list.:D

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 10
Aircraft - 1/21/2003 8:15:02 AM   
mogami

Hi, It looks like the program has your aircraft lined up wingtip to wing tip at night waiting for the brave strafer with night vision.

I'm not retreating, I'm attacking in a different direction!

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 11
Those results don't sound ahistorical.. - 1/21/2003 8:31:24 AM   
RevRick

they sound absolutely ridiculous - given the problems with night bombing in all theaters in WWII. Good grief - they must have had fires built around the airfield with large arrows pointing to the revetments and guys with spotlights pointing out the aircraft. Most night bombers couldn't hit the broad side of a bulls butt with a bass fiddle from inside the barn.

"Action springs not from thought, but from a readiness for responsibility.” ― Dietrich Bonhoeffer

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 12
- 1/21/2003 11:58:11 AM   
Nikademus

those results are impressive indeed......especially at night. Somethings fishy all right.

As it is right now, even in daylight, I'm finding airbases just a tad bit too easy to shut down completely. Worse, once this "shutdown" period is reached, your air units there become trapped and cannot be withdrawn. I think this needs to be addressed, at least for WitP.

ground casualties remain a bit on the high side too. Dont mind them for troops that have little to no entrenchments, but heavy entrenchments should yield very little in ratio to effort expended. The soPac theater was a long campaign :)

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 13
- 1/21/2003 11:59:02 AM   
Krec

these are the sorts of things about games that drive me nuts.
this is nothing more then taking advantage of what the game lets you do. legal in the game : yes realistic: no

what really should be done about these types of tactics is make a list of all the ridiculous and insane tactics that the game allows and apply penalties or rules that severely limit these tactics.

with all the other rules in the game , how about a few that curb this type of ridiclous play. ;)

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 14
- 1/21/2003 6:43:31 PM   
siRkid

You can always set house rules. My opponent and I agreed at the start of the game we would live with whatever the game allowed us to do. Like my opponent said "its a two edge sword” both players have the opportunity to take advantage.

The reason for the post was to get hard facts so I could make an informed decision what to do about it for WITP.

Rick

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 15
- 1/22/2003 3:37:51 AM   
Knavey

Kid,

The problem with that rule of "Do it if you can do it" is when one opponent knows how to game the system and the other does not. Makes for a lopsided match when you do it that way.

Its far easier to adopt a set of rules that most people here agree are only gaming the system, and abide by them.

Just my opinion.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 16
- 1/22/2003 4:29:36 AM   
siRkid

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Knavey
[B]Kid,

The problem with that rule of "Do it if you can do it" is when one opponent knows how to game the system and the other does not. Makes for a lopsided match when you do it that way.

Its far easier to adopt a set of rules that most people here agree are only gaming the system, and abide by them.

Just my opinion. [/B][/QUOTE]

Oh, I'm not supporting one way or the other. I was just explaining the rules under which we were operating.

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 17
- 1/22/2003 5:49:21 AM   
Knavey

Gotcha!

No rules is House Rules!

Of course, the old saying everything goes in love and war...could apply here.

x-Nuc twidget
CVN-71
USN 87-93
"Going slow in the fast direction"

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 18
ijn - 1/23/2003 3:34:18 PM   
Bosun

I kicked butt with night time strafing attacks by floatplanes, especially Jakes, until I decided it was totally not historical, nor realistic. Resupply does seem to have a few problems as covered by R. Saueracker and others. I have not seen any other really unreasonable "flaws" in UV. It's a great game!!! :D

A WILLING FOE AND SEA ROOM...

ANONYMOUS

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 19
- 1/23/2003 10:37:33 PM   
crsutton

Although I find that there are a few tweaks needed in this excellent game. (See my post on surface combat), I am adverse to using house rules. It is my experience that the rules themselves lead to more confusion and misinterpretation, and could end some friendships. There just is no black and white in a computer sim where there is bound to be ways to get an advantage.

I just try to adjust to my opponents style of play. If he is not taking advantage of the system and pulling unrealistic ploys, then neither will I. I try to use my units within realistic bounds. However, I really do not expect my opponents to conform to my beliefs. I can quickly adjust to their style of play. No sweat. If I think things are getting out of hand, I just look for another opponent in future games.

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 20
- 1/25/2003 7:25:56 AM   
ganthony91

Kid is 100% on target with the issue of night strafing. While night raids seemed to be generally effective as a nuisance tactic the damage inficted on him was bloody outrageous. It is an issue that needs to have a high priority to fix in upcoming versions. It has the ability to throw a balanced game into a downward spiral.

"Have gone to Florida to fight Indians. Will be back when war is over"
A. Henderson
Col. Commandant

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 21
- 1/25/2003 10:49:23 AM   
Bulldog61

Pilots tend to like to stay a few hundred feet about the highest obstacle in the area in good visability conditions and much more under poor visability. I've been unable to find any instances of nightime stafing in any theater in WWII. my recomendation is that on the next patch this capbility be disabled.

You can run but you'll die tired!

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 22
- 1/25/2003 12:12:35 PM   
Krec

i concur

"No bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor dumb bastard die for his country." Patton

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 23
More info..... - 1/27/2003 12:41:08 PM   
Reg

Sorry about wading into this so late but I have just noticed the thread. Unfortunately history books aren't written to answer specific questions like this one but I have done my best.

I have dug into my readings but have not come up with anything that supports large scale low level bombing/strafing of land targets. There are several examples of spectacular successes by strafing attacks by Beaufighters and Bostons at Lae and Penfui (Timor) but these were all dusk/dawn operations.

quote:

For an example of this can be found in the Australian War Memorial on-line Photographic Database.
[URL=http://www.awm.gov.au/database/cas.asp]http://www.awm.gov.au/database/cas.asp[/URL]
(just type the photograph number into the collection search field)

ID Number: 128161
Physical description: Black & white
Summary: LAE, NEW GUINEA. 1943-03-04. A SURPRISE STRAFING ATTACK BY FLIGHT LIEUTENANT R. F. UREN AND FLYING OFFICER R. H. ROE (RAAF) ON MALAHANG AIRFIELD, IN WHICH SIX JAPANESE ZEROS AND ONE REFUELLING TANKER WERE DESTROYED. THE FIRE POWER OF THE BEAUFIGHTERS FROM 20MM CANNON AND SIX .303 INCH MACHINE GUNS IS ILLUSTRATED BY THE FACT THAT ONLY A FEW SECONDS HAD ELAPSED BETWEEN THE TAKING OF PHOTOGRAPH no. 128160 IN WHICH ONE OF THE BEAUFIGHTERS IS BEGINNING A DIVING ATTACK AND OF THIS SHOWING THREE ZEROS IN FLAMES. (PHOTOGRAPH REPRODUCED IN OFFICIAL HISTORY VOLUME: RAAF 1939-42, PAGE 690). (RAAF).

ID Number: 128146
Physical description: Black & white
Summary: LAE, NEW GUINEA. 1942-03. FROM THE TIME OF THE JAPANESE OCCUPATION OF LAE IN 1942-03 UNTIL ITS RECAPTURE BY THE 7TH DIVISION IN 1943-09, THE RAAF AND LATER ALLIED AIR FORCES, WITH FIGHTERS, FIGHTER BOMBERS, MEDIUM AND HEAVY BOMBERS AND FLYING BOATS, MAINTAINED A PERSISTENT BOMBARDMENT OF THE AERODROME AND JAPANESE INSTALLATIONS. A BOSTON COMES IN AT TREE TOP LEVEL OVER A WRECKED FIGHTER IN THE RIGHT FOREGROUND, A BETTY BOMBER IS PARKED IN THE CENTRE AND DISPERSED ZERO FIGHTERS ARE IN THE BACKGROUND. (RAAF 5/6A).

I have found many examples of night time torpedo attacks by Beauforts and low level bombing by both Hudsons and Bostons of maritime targets by the light of the moon or air dropped flares. I even have a reference (page 642 of the official history below) to a night time strafing attack on a four destroyer convoy approaching Buna on the night of the 2nd November 1943 by six Beaufighters of No.30 Squadron from Port Moresby accompanied by a flare dropping Hudson. "The crews reported that the glare from the flares and flashes from their own cannon were so strong that the pilots could not clearly see the target and so were forced to make their attacks from an unusually high altitude of 1000 feet. The results were not observed."

I have attached an extract from the official history "Royal Australian Air force 1939-42, Douglas Gillison, Australian War Memorial, Canberra, 1962" regarding the 1943 bombing campaign against Rabaul. It implies that bombing by heavy bombers was partially done at night and that some attacks were made at low levels but I think a bit of interpretation may be needed as the quotation does not differentiate between attacks on the harbour or on the town and whether the low level attacks were policy or just adventurous crews. (I think you might find the availability status of the B-17 groups interesting reading as well).

On the whole, I feel that effective squadron sized low level attacks of ground (as opposed to maritime) targets is not supported by available evidence (there are less lumps on the ocean to hit in the dark I suppose).

Hope you find this useful,
Reg.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 24
- 1/27/2003 6:34:59 PM   
siRkid

Great work!

Thanks,
Rick

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 25
More Info - 1/29/2003 3:13:59 AM   
Reg

I have managed to dig up a bit more information on this subject.

Once again this information appears to support the general assertation that night raids against land targets were conducted from medium altitude (though they were not always intended to be harrassing in nature and some attacks were quite determined).

Night attacks on shipping, on the other hand were regularly conducted a low level with both bombs and torpedos. The extract narrates an incident where a bomber comes down from altitude to 150 feet for a strike against a maritime target.

I think it is quite interesting how the historian draws a comparison with European Day/Night doctrine and then gives a far more pragmatic reason why Australian medium bombers attacked under the cover of darkness.

I hope you find the attached attachment as interesting as I did,

Cheers,
Reg.

Attachment: [URL=http://users.tpg.com.au/users/rpstock/Night_bombing_of_Rabaul_2.pdf]Night_bombing_of_Rabaul_2.pdf[/URL]

(in reply to siRkid)
Post #: 26
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Uncommon Valor - Campaign for the South Pacific >> A Question For You Experts Out There Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI