Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no MrKane please

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no MrKane please Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/22/2013 5:44:22 PM   
Spidery

GreyJoy, thank-you for the comments,

quote:

ORIGINAL: GreyJoy

Tom is making a mistake, imho, to waste precious supplies in expanding SIAN AF. He will never have enough AV support, nor supplies to conduct any decent bombing campaign. You will bomb him back to stone age as soon as you want and he will have simply wasted supplies and given up to you a great AF to conduct further air ops against central china.
If the AVG or something similar comes there, simply sweep him to oblivion and then bomb the AF. No worry

Agreed, except that until I have Nanyang or Ankang expanded to level 2 I won't have a base close enough that I am happy to sweep / bomb from. Apart from Chungking and Kunming to Paoshan, I look at everywhere in China as eventually being mine and any expansion is just helping me.

As far as I can tell, he doesn't have enough supply generation in the Sian area for the forces there and must be drawing supply across the mountains from the central plains which further seems a waste. I think MrKane is being profligate with supplies in China - I hope to show him the error of his ways.

quote:

The easiest way to deal with Manila is to lay a siege with 1 Division, some artillery (not to much) and a Mixed Bde (I use the 65th for this task).
4 Sally/Helens sentais will keep the base suppressed. Then conquer Bataan, move a couple of 2800 tons AKEs to Lyngayen or something like that, maybe a Naval HQ, and then start bombing Manila with the BBs. All your crack divisions are better used elsewhere. The US Army won't go anywhere from there so don't worry. Take your time and use a couple of old BBs (the Fusos maybe) to bomb it a couple of times, while your bombers will do the rest. In few months Manila will fall as a mature fruit without any problems

I already have Bataan and am moving AKE and BB to do this. However, my concern with this is that it will destroy the LI at Manila - that represents 100,000 supply generation lost (assuming keep it until late'44) and in a DBB game supply seems critical. However, I can't see any way to save the LI that isn't overly expensive in other ways.

However, I think I agree that bombardment plus a long siege is best. I'm not even sure the aircraft are needed. I could just keep 2 BB bombarding every few days.

I have converted 12 of the Lima class to AKE, in this mod they can rearm the Nagato/Mutsu so it seemed worth having the extra flexibility over using the Adens.

The 65th Brigade is already on Luzon but needs a bit of R&R to recover from disablements taken clearing Bataan.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 91
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/22/2013 5:45:43 PM   
Spidery

quote:

Apart from Chungking and Kunming to Paoshan,

Actually, I look at those as being mine but possibly taking rather longer...

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 92
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/22/2013 8:39:32 PM   
Spidery

January 18th 1942

Air Losses: 4 Japanese, 2 Allied, 3 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Boac (auto), Lahat
Japanese land at: Boela

Bad weather grounds many air attacks.

China

Siangtan and Hengyang have both been abandoned.

A speculative airfield attack is directed at Changteh, the bombers from Hankow fail to fly but 14 Sallys from Canton do and destroy a P-40E on the ground plus score 3 supply hits. No CAP is encountered. A small success.

Pacific

A raiding force is being sent towards Noumea and finds a small TF (reported as 4 ships including an AMC and a CL) near the Fennel Islands. Probably blows surprise so will just try and sink this.

Indian Ocean

I-6 arrives at its patrol location off Karachi and immediately encounters an xAK - and misses!

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 93
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/23/2013 2:13:08 PM   
Spidery

January 19th 1942

Air Losses: 3 Japanese, 1 Allied, 3 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Boela(auto), Tapul(air drop), Endeh
Japanese land at:

China

Chinese seem to be pulling out from Changteh and Shaoyang also.

The lead armour unit has reached the road junction between Hami and Kiuchan.

Philippines

A bombardment task force attacks Manila. An embedded DMS suffers from gun fire and only clears 7 mines. If it can control the fires it should survive.

The bombardment achieves:

quote:

Allied ground losses:
1137 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 22 destroyed, 60 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 14 disabled
Guns lost 19 (2 destroyed, 17 disabled)
Vehicles lost 15 (2 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Repair Shipyard hits 1
Manpower hits 2
Fires 206
Airbase hits 9
Airbase supply hits 4
Runway hits 25
Port hits 22
Port fuel hits 10
Port supply hits 2

Repair yard is badly damaged but the LI undamaged. Some fires rage.

Pacific

The small Allied task force seen last turn must have run at full speed as it is 15 hexes from its last position. It is safe apart from possible sub attacks.

At Johnston Isle, RO-61 encounters a group of DMS and suffers (10/1/0 damage but also 2 torpedo tubes).

Near Christmas Island two subs attack a convoy but neither can penetrate screens.

Heavy volume of transmissions is detected at Sydney.

Burma

3 B-17E find Rangoon at night and do a total of 9 damage to the refineries.

2 Chinese units are spotted next to Lashio.

24 British units are in the hex North-West of Shwebo and moving away into the jungle. It may be possible to get some armour there to attack the last engineers.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 94
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/23/2013 10:08:50 PM   
Spidery

January 20th 1942

Air Losses: 2 Japanese, 1 Allied, 1 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Ocean Island, Wenchow, Hengyang(auto)
Japanese land at: Ocean Island, Koepang

China

Chinese seem to be pulling out from Kweilin as well.

Wenchow falls to a deliberate attack but the industry is 100% destroyed.

Pacific

The I-19 is damaged off San Francisco (16/25/0) and should retire for repairs without problem.

RO-63 hits CL Perth with a torpedo near Brisbane but there is no explosion and the sub is damaged in the counter attack (19/18/0).

Chikuma, Atago, Chokai, and Haguro + 5 DD encounter CA Australia, CL Perth, Adelaide and Dragon plus 4 DD. CL Dragon and DD Isis are sunk and there is a sinking sound later that may be the CL Adelaide . Chikuma and Chokai will need a little yard time. Haguro got lucky as it took 2 penetrating belt hits from 8" shells but only has 6 float damage.

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Bundaberg at 100,155, Range 11,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Chikuma, Shell hits 4, on fire
CA Atago
CA Chokai, Shell hits 2
CA Haguro, Shell hits 2
DD Urakaze
DD Tanikaze
DD Yugure
DD Mutsuki
DD Kisaragi

Allied Ships
CA Australia, Shell hits 1
CL Perth, Shell hits 3, heavy fires
CL Adelaide, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
CL Dragon, Shell hits 12, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Stuart, Shell hits 1
DD Thracian, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Isis, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Jupiter, Shell hits 3

Reduced sighting due to 10% moonlight
Maximum visibility in Clear Conditions and 10% moonlight: 12,000 yards
Range closes to 17,000 yards...
Range closes to 11,000 yards...
CONTACT: Japanese lookouts spot Allied task force at 11,000 yards
CONTACT: Allied lookouts spot Japanese task force at 11,000 yards

The CA force was the cover force for a group of task forces comprising a refuelling, an ASW, a bombardment, and the KB. Only the CA force has been regularly spotted but also the refuelling force at one time. It is not clear whether the presence of the KB is known or not. The Cruiser force has to head back to base for rearm. Enemy forces in the area are unknown and could include all the carriers.

The original plan was to raid Australia and then head North to cover the Port Moresby invasion.

However, there are now a number of other choices. Target the remains of the cruiser force above, investigate a Glen sighting yesterday West of Fiji of 10 ships, retire, or investigate a sig int report North East of Fiji.

Philippines

Fires are getting worse for the damaged DMS at Bataan.

Burma

More B-17E find Rangoon at night. They score no hits and the AA fire damages half-a-dozen but gets no kills. Half-a-dozen of the Tojo prototypes engage and one is lost.

DEI

Landing at Koepang goes well enough but the 18th Division loses 16 devices while unloading.

Forces are moving into Batavia for the attack.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 95
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/24/2013 5:05:42 PM   
Spidery

January 21st 1942

Air Losses: 1 Japanese, 2 Allied, 1 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Siangtan, Melak, Bassein(auto)
Japanese land at:

Pacific

An Allied task force, reported as 10 ships, is off-loading at Port Moresby. The planned invasion is too weak to take the reinforced forces so will have to wait for the Imperial Guards Division to be freed from Java. An SCTF containing 3 CA is close enough to attack and could try some air attack from Rabaul.

Also the Allied task force is in a difficult position with the KB south near New Caledonia and Koepang about to fall and a mini-KB there.

The KB is spotted near New Caledonia but the BB force accompanying it is still not spotted.

SS I-169 takes (50/51/0) damage at Christmas Island and will retire for repairs.

China

Siangtan taken unopposed and undamaged.

3 Chinese units have appeared out of the mists and cut the road West of Chengting - little problem to deal with them.

I have started some significant movement of forces to try a different direction of attack.

Philippines

An Allied minefield is located at Bataan by a DMS. There are enough minesweepers in the area to clear this mess up.

The damaged DMS sinks.

India

I-6 sinks the xAK Maldive off Karachi (an 11 VP ship)

Burma

No night attack by B-17s today.

DEI

A mix-up fails to launch the Koepang attack.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 96
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/25/2013 11:08:30 AM   
Spidery

January 22nd 1942

Air Losses: 2 Japanese, 5 Allied, 0 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Meiktila(auto), Siaoe(air drop), Koepang
Japanese land at: Woodlark Island, Boba, Rossel Island

Pacific

Split the force that was heading for Port Moresby and have landed at many bases. Rossel Island gets the one aviation support unit in the landings.

China

Nothing of note

Philippines

A DMS working on Bataan minefield strays into Manila and is damaged by defensive guns, should be fixed. Only AMc will be used to complete the sweeping. 150 mines are cleared in Bataan and the minefield remains - I think that explains where the Allied subs were.

DEI

Koepang falls without problem.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 97
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/25/2013 11:15:51 AM   
Spidery

River crossings and how they work?

On the road to Ankang I am blocked by a large Chinese force just before the river. Tomorrow, a fragment of the 1st Raiding Regiment can cross the river from the Ankang direction. I expect that will trigger a shock attack and it will be destroyed, but will it open the hex side?

If I add bombardment support or a deliberate attack from the units in the hex then will they join in the attack? If they do will they be shock attacking? The last deliberate attack here resulted in 145 disablements so I would rather not shock attack. If I just bombard will they support the shock attack but not be subject to massive damage?

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 98
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/25/2013 2:06:50 PM   
witpqs

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidery

River crossings and how they work?

On the road to Ankang I am blocked by a large Chinese force just before the river. Tomorrow, a fragment of the 1st Raiding Regiment can cross the river from the Ankang direction. I expect that will trigger a shock attack and it will be destroyed, but will it open the hex side?

Yes, provided you already have unit(s) there. Or just plain 'yes' if it is not destroyed.
quote:

If I add bombardment support or a deliberate attack from the units in the hex then will they join in the attack? If they do will they be shock attacking? The last deliberate attack here resulted in 145 disablements so I would rather not shock attack. If I just bombard will they support the shock attack but not be subject to massive damage?

It is my understanding that even though the combat report is not that explicit, different units can have and will execute different attack orders.

Will only bombarding help the unit making the crossing? No idea.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 99
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/25/2013 2:30:59 PM   
Spidery

Thank-you witpqs,

I'll order a deliberate attack and the river crossing attack and see what happens.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 100
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/25/2013 6:10:21 PM   
Spidery

January 23rd 1942

Air Losses: 23 Japanese, 4 Allied, 19 Pilots (mostly MIA)
Japanese occupy: Babo, Polillo (auto), Rossel Island, Woodlark Island, Shortlands, Shaoyang, Babo
Japanese land at: Ambon, Puerto Princesca, Shortlands, Buin

Allied VP increase by 200 on the turn. I think this is because I suspended the bombardment attack against Manila and that dropped the supply demand for the base.

China

The shock attack is joined by the attackers in the hex and the parachute unit survives. The objective is achieved, the hex side opened, and the road can now be used to move forces to Ankang - however, there is no supply route. Losses aren't too bad:

quote:

Attacking force 39877 troops, 419 guns, 40 vehicles, Assault Value = 1042

Defending force 29197 troops, 191 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 488

Japanese adjusted assault: 764

Allied adjusted defense: 1138

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 2

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
1420 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 129 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 7 disabled
Engineers: 2 destroyed, 44 disabled
Vehicles lost 5 (1 destroyed, 4 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
720 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 70 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 4 disabled
Engineers: 1 destroyed, 8 disabled
Guns lost 13 (2 destroyed, 11 disabled)

At Shaoyang the bombers run into LRCAP from the AVG and suffer. However, they delay the retreating forces and allow a ground attack to render two Chinese corps useless.

quote:

Attacking force 15345 troops, 307 guns, 141 vehicles, Assault Value = 454

Defending force 15716 troops, 81 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 413

Japanese adjusted assault: 428

Allied adjusted defense: 31

Japanese assault odds: 13 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese forces CAPTURE Shaoyang !!!

Combat modifiers
Defender: disruption(-), preparation(-), fatigue(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
56 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 5 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
5884 casualties reported
Squads: 281 destroyed, 13 disabled
Non Combat: 243 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 51 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 19 (16 destroyed, 3 disabled)
Units retreated 2

An engineer unit makes a careless attacks across the river into Chengteh and is wiped out !

DEI

The first attack is launched at Batavia. A 1:1 result is achieved with forts reduced to 2. Losses are about equal. Disruption in the infantry forces reaches the 20's so will suspend attack for a day.

One xAK is damaged landing at Ambon but not badly.

Babo is taken without damage.

Philippines

The minefield at Bataan has been cleared and the next BB strike is 2 days from Manila.

Pacific

A sub fails to penetrate the screens to attack a force of 2xAK and 6DD near Horn Island and presumably heading West from Port Moresby. There is a chance to get them from Koepang but do need to take care avoiding any CAP.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 101
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/25/2013 6:11:07 PM   
Spidery

The situation in China around Ankang and Sian. The arrow is the route on the road that is now open.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 102
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/25/2013 6:16:51 PM   
Spidery

Planned moves in the Ankang area are to:

1. Move forces through the opened road and try and get to the road junction in the mountains first.
2. From the road send forces into the woods on either side to prevent the Allies cutting the road.
3. Pull forces back from the main road to Sian, send them to the contested hex on the Ankang road, overstack and try and force the Chinese back. As can be seen, the Allies are trying to reinforce the hex so will also try and move into the woods West and South-West from it.

If I can establish a strong position on the road, and get a supply path through, then it will cut the Chinese forces in half leaving a large number starving around Sian.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 103
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/25/2013 6:20:39 PM   
witpqs

quote:

however, there is no supply route.

Not sure if you know this already - supply can move through hexes which contain enemy units. What matters for supply flow is control of the hex sides.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 104
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/25/2013 6:32:20 PM   
Spidery

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

quote:

however, there is no supply route.

Not sure if you know this already - supply can move through hexes which contain enemy units. What matters for supply flow is control of the hex sides.

Thank-you, witpqs . No I didn't realize that. That makes it a different ball game. I can ignore the blocking force, block the road, and move forces up to the mountain passes.

He is moving troops from Sian into the woods between Sian and Ankang so I probably can't get into Sian from the back but we can contest those hexes.

(in reply to witpqs)
Post #: 105
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/26/2013 12:09:53 PM   
Spidery

January 24th 1942

Air Losses: 3 Japanese, 2 Allied, 1 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Puerto Princesca, Buin, Kweilin, Ramree Island (auto)
Japanese land at:

China

Sweeps over Chihkiang fail to encounter any fighters.

Hudsons from Sian try a ground attack on forces on the Ankang road.

A Chinese unit has appeared on the road between the key hex and Ankang so now I need to take the river crossing the other way.

Kweilin is taken unopposed - this means the Chinese have lost about a third of the supply generation they started with.

DEI

Attack at Ambon reduces forts and achieves a 1:1.

Philippines

Starting clearing some of the remaining isolated forces.
Weather prevents attacks at Manila.

Australia

KB sinks two small AVP off Bundaberg.
As a trial, some Kates city attack the resources at Bundaberg, and some Vals try a night city attack at Toowoomba - 24 Allied strategic VP losses are reported. That looks promising for raids to accumulate a good amount of VP.

Recon of Darwin is poor but shows 7 units present.

Engineering

Allies expand Pearl Harbour port to 8.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 106
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/26/2013 8:07:42 PM   
Spidery

January 25th 1942

Air Losses: 1 Japanese, 1 Allied, 1 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Mandalay(auto), Shwebo(air-drop)
Japanese land at: Sorong

Allied VP drops suggesting they have only 60% of the VP value for Manila, so supply must be dropping, this may be a good clue as to when supply has run out.

China

Quiet

DEI

Attack at Ambon reduces forts again and achieves a 1:1.

Philippines

3 BB bombard Manila:

quote:

Japanese Ships
BB Hyuga
BB Ise
BB Fuso

Allied ground losses:
865 casualties reported
Squads: 1 destroyed, 21 disabled
Non Combat: 12 destroyed, 55 disabled
Guns lost 13 (2 destroyed, 11 disabled)
Vehicles lost 4 (1 destroyed, 3 disabled)

Manpower hits 5
Light Industry hits 1
Resources hits 1
Fires 3959
Airbase hits 10
Airbase supply hits 2
Runway hits 17
Port hits 6

The BB rearm at Batangas and will attack again tomorrow. However, this is using up my supply as well as his. Will carry out bombardments until the end of the month from air, sea, and land and see how that is progressing. Looking for reported AV and number of guns to drop, for counter-bombardment to tail off, and for flak to die down.

Pacific

The last few turns there have been reports of Allied task forces East of the Marshall Islands but no confirmed sightings. It is possible he is poking around the edges here.

India

SS I-6 has another chance against an xAK near Karachi and misses again.

Australia

2 BB bombard Maryborough, although reported as only a single LI hit the allied strategic lost VP jumps by 34 suggesting 17 points of industry damage.

Engineering

Singapore airfield expands to 7.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 107
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/26/2013 8:21:16 PM   
Spidery

The economics of attacking Australian industry

I don't see many attempts in AARs to use the KB and shore bombardment to systematically destroy Australian industry. There are about 4000 points of industry along the Australian East coast and not far inland (including Sydney but not Melbourne). This includes about 2400 points of supply generation (although the HI might be turned off).

If half of that can be destroyed that equates to 4000 VP and a reduction of Allied supply in Australia of nearly 2 million over the game.

4000 VP means the Allies need 8000 more VP to get auto-victory and need 1000 more VP at end 1942 to avoid defeat.

Late game it seems the Allies might be shipping 1 million supply per month into theatre. If 2 million in-theatre supply is removed that represents a 2 month delay in the Allied time table (except it is not quite that straightforward as supply is only one factor).

The main cost to achieve this seems to be opportunity cost, including that of making the KB visible, but that seems to be better than using the opportunity to expand into some territory that can't be held.

< Message edited by Spidery -- 12/12/2013 9:11:43 AM >

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 108
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/28/2013 4:44:22 PM   
Spidery

January 26th 1942

Air Losses: 1 Japanese, 7 Allied, 1 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Sorong, Ambon, Katha (air-drop), Magwe (auto), Tawau (air-drop)
Japanese land at: Denpasar

Burma

Magwe is captured undamaged. 53 aviation support and 16 8cm AA guns are in place, another 24 guns can arrive in the next couple of days but Allied bombing of the oil field is highly likely,

China

Hudsons try and interfere and meet some CAP, 2 Hudsons are shot down.

Some more damage to a Chinese corps fleeing from Changsha area.

DEI

Batavia attack doesn't go too well. Forts are reduced to 1 but disablements in the 21st Division take it out of action.

quote:

Ground combat at Batavia (49,98)

Japanese Deliberate attack

Attacking force 65439 troops, 598 guns, 161 vehicles, Assault Value = 1955

Defending force 37972 troops, 418 guns, 164 vehicles, Assault Value = 621

Japanese engineers reduce fortifications to 1

Japanese adjusted assault: 747

Allied adjusted defense: 661

Japanese assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 1)

Japanese Assault reduces fortifications to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(-), preparation(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
4194 casualties reported
Squads: 6 destroyed, 294 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 30 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 20 disabled
Guns lost 35 (2 destroyed, 33 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
1892 casualties reported
Squads: 60 destroyed, 34 disabled
Non Combat: 5 destroyed, 81 disabled
Engineers: 4 destroyed, 5 disabled
Guns lost 27 (4 destroyed, 23 disabled)
Vehicles lost 29 (16 destroyed, 13 disabled)

Ambon is captured and the defenders surrender.

New Guinea

Port Moresby is bombarded by cruisers:

quote:

Allied aircraft losses
PBY-4 Catalina: 2 damaged
PBY-4 Catalina: 1 destroyed on ground

Japanese Ships
CA Kako
CA Aoba
CA Myoko

Allied ground losses:
234 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 3 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Guns lost 8 (1 destroyed, 7 disabled)
Vehicles lost 8 (1 destroyed, 7 disabled)

Airbase hits 8
Airbase supply hits 5
Runway hits 45
Port hits 1
Port supply hits 1

Philippines

The BB bombardment of Manila fails to take place, probably insufficient ops point following rearming - it just moved to Bataan.

R&D

Nakajima Ha-45 is accelerated to 8/43
First 30 point Ki-49-1a factory fully repairs and is changed to research the Ki-49-IIa . Engine bonus won't be available for this until mid March.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 109
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/29/2013 1:37:08 PM   
Spidery

January 27th 1942

Air Losses: 20 Japanese, 1 Allied, 17 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Munda (auto), Denpasar, Loewoek(air drop)
Japanese land at:

India

I-6 continues its poor performance, it takes a shot at CV Indomitable near Karachi and misses. Still it is nice to have a sighting of an Allied CV.

China

Moving troops

Australia

Cruisers bombard Darwin inflicting damage but nothing serious. I forgot to set any spotters.
Air strikes by mini-KB fail to be launched due to bad weather.

Vals hit Toowoomba inflict 49 resource hits.

Brisbane is also attacked, Zeroes on sweep suffer losses as they are bounced but the Allied fighters are too high to interfere with the Kates that score 28 manpower hits and start fires.

In total, another 180 strategic VP gained for the day plus fires may do some more.

DEI

Quiet

New Guinea

Quiet

Philippines

Another naval bombardment hits Manila and does quite well.

Engineering

Nanyang airfield expands to 2.
Allies expand Diego Garcia port to 2, Bombay airfield to 5

Reinforcements

CVL Shoho arrives.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 110
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 11/30/2013 2:00:05 PM   
Spidery

January 28th 1942

Air Losses: 3 Japanese, 2 Allied, 2 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Treasury Islands (auto), Yenan, Maumere, Donggala(air drop)
Japanese land at:

Burma

2 Chinese corps have moved into Lashio. Currently have two tank regiment defending it plus another one and a engineering regiment arriving next day by strategic movement. I hope this should be enough to hold.

China

Shock attack across the river pushes the Chinese back and secures the Ankang road. The 20th Engineer Regiment lost all its engineer devices, half its support and the rest was disabled.

quote:

Ground combat at 82,43 (near Ankang)

Japanese Shock attack

Attacking force 26656 troops, 283 guns, 16 vehicles, Assault Value = 672

Defending force 12742 troops, 75 guns, 0 vehicles, Assault Value = 278

Japanese adjusted assault: 875

Allied adjusted defense: 394

Japanese assault odds: 2 to 1

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), leaders(+), experience(-)
Attacker: shock(+)

Japanese ground losses:
1747 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 32 disabled
Non Combat: 11 destroyed, 33 disabled
Engineers: 47 destroyed, 11 disabled

Allied ground losses:
6027 casualties reported
Squads: 179 destroyed, 22 disabled
Non Combat: 254 destroyed, 0 disabled
Engineers: 3 destroyed, 6 disabled
Guns lost 10 (6 destroyed, 4 disabled)
Units retreated 1

An attack against the Heavy Industry at Sian destroys 5 of them.

New Guinea

Bombardment at New Guinea by 2 CA is good enough to stop fort building. Disablements inflicted are mostly support so there may be a lack of Allied combat units defending the base.

Australia

Hiei and Kirishima bombard Rockhampton but only inflict a single industry hit.

Philippines

At Manila, it seems the BB can only attack every other day. Will move the AKE to Bataan and see if can bombard daily.

Bombardment attack at Manila does better than usual.

quote:

Japanese ground losses:
20 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 2 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled

Allied ground losses:
132 casualties reported
Squads: 3 destroyed, 15 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 1 (1 destroyed, 0 disabled)

Reinforcement

DD Makigumo arrives.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Spidery -- 11/30/2013 3:00:44 PM >

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 111
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 12/1/2013 9:13:50 AM   
Spidery

January 29th 1942

Air Losses: 2 Japanese, 2 Allied, 0 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Serasan (auto)
Japanese land at: Wyndham

BB Bombardment at Manila is very good.
BB Bombardment at Batavia is disappointing.
Recon of Darwin shows more troops than last time.

Engineering

Changsha expands airfield to 4
Allies expand Hyderabad airfield to 4

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 112
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 12/1/2013 3:08:36 PM   
Spidery

January 30th 1942

Air Losses: 0 Japanese, 1 Allied, 0 Pilots
Japanese occupy: Wyndham, Tamdjoengpinang(auto)
Japanese land at:

An HDML is sunk by a sub near Ceylon.

Air strikes at Manila encounter no flak.

Bombers in China are mostly grounded to reduce plane fatigue.

Engineering

Bangkok expands airfield to 7
Shimushiri-Jima expands airfield to 1

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 113
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 12/1/2013 5:35:40 PM   
Spidery

Invading Darwin

Whenever I have invaded Darwin I have lost some transports to coastal gun fire.

I'm thinking of landing on the coast and walking to Darwin - will that work? The landing at Wyndham creates a supply source that should be able to resupply the forces overland.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 114
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 12/1/2013 5:51:39 PM   
GreyJoy

quote:

ORIGINAL: Spidery

Invading Darwin

Whenever I have invaded Darwin I have lost some transports to coastal gun fire.

I'm thinking of landing on the coast and walking to Darwin - will that work? The landing at Wyndham creates a supply source that should be able to resupply the forces overland.

Should work but you lose lots of time. Add a couple of BBs and Darwin shouldn't be much of a problem

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 115
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 12/1/2013 7:29:35 PM   
Spidery

Thank-you GreyJoy,

It is two clear hexes to cross so that is 10 days lost. However, at the moment I'm not sure what I would do with that time. I expect to have taken everywhere (critical), outside of China and the Aleutians, that I want to target by the end of February. If I also include some armour then I may be able to trap the defenders of Darwin - which would be nice.

By regular bombardment of Darwin I can deter him from basing aircraft there.

My experience with putting BB (or CA) in a task force is that it protects the first unloading phase but in later phases they are out of ammo and there is little protection.

I'll think about it.

(in reply to GreyJoy)
Post #: 116
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 12/1/2013 7:34:21 PM   
Spidery

January 31st 1942

Air Losses: 1 Japanese, 1 Allied, 0 Pilots
Japanese occupy: New Hanover Island (auto), Sintang (air drop), Akyab(air drop), Palopo
Japanese land at:

Same old... Bombard Manila, use air in China, chase fleeing Chinese, take miscellaneous bases.

Engineering

Allies expand Calcutta airfield to 6.

Tomorrow I'll post a round up of the month.

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 117
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 12/2/2013 8:23:04 AM   
Spidery

Overall progress in January 1942.

Philippines has been reduced to Manila and some cut-off units slowly starving. Manila is out of supply.

DEI - Batavia holds out and is proving a tough nut to crack. There are various hold out troops to be hunted down and quite a lot of the Southern bases still need to be taken.

New Guinea - little progress so far, however the Port Moresby attack is only days a way. There are a lot of little bases to take here.

Australia - Wyndham has been taken and Derby and Brome landings are on the way. Raids on the East coast have damaged some industry.

Burma - nearly completely secured against no opposition. However, there are nowhere near enough troops to defend this.

China - Chinese forces continue to retreat with little chance to attack them. Wenchow fell but the industry was destroyed.

Pilot training - reasonably skilled pilots are coming out. 30 Navy pilots were transferred to TRACOM.

Economy - resources, oil and fuel are all flowing well. However, there is still concern over supply.

Aircraft pools - the low losses have not put a strain on them but there is a shortage of Oscars to upgrade to and of float planes.

Sub war - still very quiet

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 118
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 12/2/2013 8:23:48 AM   
Spidery

Intel picture for end January 1942. VP ration is 1.7 to 1.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 119
RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no Mr... - 12/2/2013 8:25:29 AM   
Spidery

Overall economy

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Spidery)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Castles in the Sand - Spidery(J) vs MrKane(A) no MrKane please Page: <<   < prev  2 3 [4] 5 6   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI