Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Suggestions for New Players

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: Suggestions for New Players Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/22/2014 1:48:47 PM   
rkr1958

WOW! I purchased MWiF (physical with digital download) Sunday (2/16/2014) evening. I haven't received my books or disc yet (FedEx tracking shows it arriving today).

I just managed the time to install MWiF late last night and started taking it for a test drive (i.e., interactive tutorials) this morning. I'm running on a Dell Inspiror 660 (Windows 8, quad-core, 8GB RAM) with dual monitors (24 inch widescreen Samsung & 17 inch Sony). The 24" is hooked up via HDMI and the 17" via VGA. I've configured the game so the map occupies the full real estate of the 24" and the forms are on the 17". It looks FANTASTIC! I have just started the first interactive tutorial, had to stop and post this. This looks to be a fantastic experience. Though I know I've got my work cut out for mean with learning to competently play this game.

I see many late nights and tired mornings in my future. I guess I've got Steve and the rest of the MWiF community to thank for that.

By the way, and I think the MWiF gaming gods had something to do with this, the machine I had (see post 27 above) for the past 10.5-years crashed in fully glory 24-hours after my MWiF purchase. I haven't installed MWiF yet, so the crash was unrelated to the game. I tried to save the machine. I was hoping it was the power supply but after trying a new one, along with several other things, my best guess is that the 10.5-year old motherboard finally gave up the ghost.

So, I bit the bullet, killed my credit card and bought a new machine and 24" widescreen monitor. Though, the price was only 1/3 of what I had in my old old machine. One that I built from scratch when I and my eyes were younger and which had served me well this past decade. So, I spend most of this past week recovering from my crash and transferring data to my new PC. I had 4 internal and 2 external hard drives. I was able to read and recover data from both external and 3 of the 4 internal hard drives. I purchased an external drive enclosure that supports both IDE and SATA (I had 2 of each) and connects via usb2. I was able to read and recover data from both IDE and one SATA. The other SATA I got a couldn't read (or not formatted) error. Unfortunately, this was the drive that I had all my files for the Panzer Corps AAR, including saved game turns, that I was doing over in that forum. Though I was able to restore Panzer Corps, and all of my other Matrix / Slitherine games (CEaW GS, BA, War in the East).

Sorry for the long and rambling post ... I tend to do that when I get excited about something (MWiF and my new PC/Monitor).

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 31
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/22/2014 2:24:12 PM   
AxelNL

Welcome here. Your new machine looks fine! I recommend that your smaller screen is on the right, and put your Main Form not exactly on the left side of that 17". With a bit of distance from the edge the form to load land units on a transporter is not split over the two screens.
Have fun! Check the tech forum for known bugs, or to report other problems you might run into.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 32
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/22/2014 4:16:23 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

Welcome here. Your new machine looks fine! I recommend that your smaller screen is on the right, and put your Main Form not exactly on the left side of that 17". With a bit of distance from the edge the form to load land units on a transporter is not split over the two screens.
Have fun! Check the tech forum for known bugs, or to report other problems you might run into.
Good advice ... that's how I had it configured. I showed my son (13-years old) the map on full zoom in and full zoom out. I scrolled through the entire globe (well cylinder). After learning to play this game my next objective is to get him playing these types of games. He has an x-box and is into the first person shooter games. I've watched him and his friends play and there's no tactics. They run out without cover and last about 10-seconds before being shot down and then respawning. Now, it would be nice to get him into these type of strategy games and introduce a younger generation to the joys of "real wargames".

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 33
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/22/2014 5:40:16 PM   
rkr1958

Just got back from my daily 3-mile walk and guess what was waiting for me ... FedEx had dropped off the MWiF 3 volume set (and my physical install disc). NICE and WOW!!!

I feel like a kid at Christmas.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 34
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/22/2014 5:42:57 PM   
AxelNL

I already took out Tactics 2 out of the cupboard, halved my troops and explained to my son the concept of the russian tactic of doing lots of 1:1 's.
He won by a very small margin, and enjoyed his victory very much!
But he is actually doing Minecraft most of the time he is allowed behind the PC.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 35
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/22/2014 6:13:22 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

I already took out Tactics 2 out of the cupboard, halved my troops and explained to my son the concept of the russian tactic of doing lots of 1:1 's.
He won by a very small margin, and enjoyed his victory very much!
But he is actually doing Minecraft most of the time he is allowed behind the PC.
I've played him a few games of War at Sea. He seemed to enjoy it but Minecraft and Call of Duty seems to be more to his liking. But; maybe I can get him interested ...

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 36
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/22/2014 7:19:50 PM   
AxelNL

There is a thread in the main forum where you can request the counter for the BB Alabama, with transparant corners and sized the same as most of us. Your current Avatar blows the rest of us out of the water - but given the numbers on that counter that is probably correct.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 37
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/22/2014 7:28:51 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

Just got back from my daily 3-mile walk and guess what was waiting for me ... FedEx had dropped off the MWiF 3 volume set (and my physical install disc). NICE and WOW!!!

Welcome to the dark side.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 38
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/22/2014 9:13:37 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

There is a thread in the main forum where you can request the counter for the BB Alabama, with transparant corners and sized the same as most of us. Your current Avatar blows the rest of us out of the water - but given the numbers on that counter that is probably correct.
As you can tell, I did it myself. Is it really too large or too crude? I'll work on cleaning it up and making it smaller. By the way, I've toured the USS Alabama twice. Once in 1993 and and the last time a couple of years ago with my son. Also, 2 years ago we toured a captured German u-boat on display in the Chicago Science and Industry museum. That u-boat (captured in 1945) is one big boat compared to the US submarine on display with the US Alabama in Mobile.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

Welcome to the dark side.
I promise to only play WiF for good.

By the way, is it me or does anyone else have problems entering the correct "image code" when they log in? This last time took me four tries, though half the time I get it on the first one.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 2/22/2014 10:18:41 PM >

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 39
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/23/2014 12:53:30 AM   
rkr1958

I just finished, "11. Interactive Tutorials Introduction", and I must say that I'm extremely impressed. I'd say I spent a good 3-hours (plus) going through it. I'm impressed by the depth, clarity and how much I learned about WiF / MWiF. I have 9 other (12-20) tutorials left and, extrapolating from a sample of 1, that's another 27 hours of homework and I'll be ready to start my first game of WiF. This is not a knock but actually a complement to the folks that put these tutorials together. They're so well done that I find myself looking forward to going through the rest and learning more about how to play this wonderful game.

I hope to finish with the tutorials and start a game within the next two weeks. That's ok as I'm really enjoying the tutorials. I feel that I should get a diploma or certificate of some kind at the completion of the MWiF short course, uh ... tutorials.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 40
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/23/2014 3:47:09 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

I just finished, "11. Interactive Tutorials Introduction", and I must say that I'm extremely impressed. I'd say I spent a good 3-hours (plus) going through it. I'm impressed by the depth, clarity and how much I learned about WiF / MWiF. I have 9 other (12-20) tutorials left and, extrapolating from a sample of 1, that's another 27 hours of homework and I'll be ready to start my first game of WiF. This is not a knock but actually a complement to the folks that put these tutorials together. They're so well done that I find myself looking forward to going through the rest and learning more about how to play this wonderful game.

I hope to finish with the tutorials and start a game within the next two weeks. That's ok as I'm really enjoying the tutorials. I feel that I should get a diploma or certificate of some kind at the completion of the MWiF short course, uh ... tutorials.
I got through, "12. Screen Layouts and Map Views" and "13. Setting Up Units" in about 1:00 hour each. So my original estimate of 3-hours per tutorial was off. So maybe a better estimate might be closer to 12-hours of studying to get started. If that's the case I just might be ready to start my first game early next week.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 41
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/23/2014 9:21:41 AM   
AxelNL

quote:

quote:

As you can tell, I did it myself. Is it really too large or too crude? I'll work on cleaning it up and making it smaller.

Your avatar is now the same size - now the transparant corners

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 42
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 2/23/2014 9:54:47 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

quote:

As you can tell, I did it myself. Is it really too large or too crude? I'll work on cleaning it up and making it smaller.

Done.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 2/23/2014 10:57:46 AM >

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 43
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 3/2/2014 1:13:34 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Done.

What do you think about my avatar now? I redid it to get the white and black boarders.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 3/2/2014 2:14:48 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 44
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 3/2/2014 1:16:24 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Done.

What do you think about my avatar now? I redid it to get the white and black boarders.

Your avatar looks nice. But can your sailors ski?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 45
RE: Suggestions for New Players - 3/2/2014 1:34:02 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

Done.

Your avatar looks nice. But can your sailors ski?
ski? What in the heck is that? Oh, snow ... we like it warm and sunny.

By the way, here's the description of my favorite unit as captured in the game. Impressive! Not the ship but the level of detailed and attention that the development, testers and support teams went to, and still are going to, in this game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 3/2/2014 2:34:54 PM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 46
RE: Please, help me Understand why no AI Opponent - 12/4/2019 2:09:54 PM   
conquest

I am just now taking a good look at this game, and I am truly thrilled. It reminds me of the old days when I had the board game called "Flat Top," however, I'm", curious about something. In the teaching videos of the game, when playing a new game and choosing the Mod of Play, I noticed that it has an AI opponent, but in the game I bought, it has none. In-fact, it has no AI opponent or PBEM. I thought I might have an older version of the game, but there are only two updates to the game in Matrix. and they both says I have the latest version. I don't understand why a game of this magnitude would have no AI opponent, and it would have been nice if the game was already set up to play, and not having to set things up before play? Nonetheless, Solitaire (in my opinion) is not needed but the AI Opponent is very much needed. That's my concern, other than that. Let me say I am a war game love and I cannot count the number of war games I have that uses counter, my purchase track record on matrix tells the story, but I have many other war games, but this has a beautiful layout of the world map. This one is a blockbuster in my mind and heart already and I have learned little of the game. In spite my complaints, matrix has done a tremendous job on a gargantuan game, but shouldn't I have an AI opponent?

(in reply to Skeleton)
Post #: 47
RE: Please, help me Understand why no AI Opponent - 12/4/2019 2:50:54 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: conquest

I am just now taking a good look at this game, and I am truly thrilled. It reminds me of the old days when I had the board game called "Flat Top," however, I'm", curious about something. In the teaching videos of the game, when playing a new game and choosing the Mod of Play, I noticed that it has an AI opponent, but in the game I bought, it has none. In-fact, it has no AI opponent or PBEM. I thought I might have an older version of the game, but there are only two updates to the game in Matrix. and they both says I have the latest version. I don't understand why a game of this magnitude would have no AI opponent, and it would have been nice if the game was already set up to play, and not having to set things up before play? Nonetheless, Solitaire (in my opinion) is not needed but the AI Opponent is very much needed. That's my concern, other than that. Let me say I am a war game love and I cannot count the number of war games I have that uses counter, my purchase track record on matrix tells the story, but I have many other war games, but this has a beautiful layout of the world map. This one is a blockbuster in my mind and heart already and I have learned little of the game. In spite my complaints, matrix has done a tremendous job on a gargantuan game, but shouldn't I have an AI opponent?

Given time, it will get one. It's just that we are still getting netplay right and there are the optional rules which need to get coded, the half map scenarios are waiting to get coded and there's the AI and some other guys want the multiplayer option first. And there's of course bug crushing going on...

To be brief: patience is a big virtue where additions are concerned...

< Message edited by Centuur -- 12/4/2019 2:51:27 PM >

Peter

(in reply to conquest)
Post #: 48
RE: Please, help me Understand why no AI Opponent - 12/4/2019 11:15:11 PM   
paulderynck

PBEM is very do-able. Many folks are playing that way. You start a game in solitaire mode and email the game files back and forth. A fair amount of interaction is needed via email or texting or whatever, for all the decisions that may come up during a move and for combats. Not all, but some use screen sharing software to play multiplayer and/or use that for combats in a PBEM game.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 49
RE: Please, help me Understand why no AI Opponent - 12/17/2019 12:17:13 AM   
conquest

very well spoken Centuur, thank you very much

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 50
RE: Please, help me Understand why no AI Opponent - 12/17/2019 2:36:57 PM   
gw15

quote:

Also, every unit has a nice historical write up if you right click. The ship notes are very interesting. I've always said that MWIF is a work of art.

(in reply to conquest)
Post #: 51
RE: Please, help me Understand why no AI Opponent - 12/29/2019 3:42:45 AM   
Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

shouldn't I have an AI opponent?

Given time, it will get one....

I think it is good that Matrix make it clear in their advertising that the AI is on the to-do list for the next couple of years, and it will be part of a patch - not a Version II sold as a new/different game.

I would not have purchased this, even at sale price, without that assurance.

"I am Alfred"

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 52
RE: Please, help me Understand why no AI Opponent - 12/29/2019 4:05:03 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ian R

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

quote:

shouldn't I have an AI opponent?

Given time, it will get one....

I think it is good that Matrix make it clear in their advertising that the AI is on the to-do list for the next couple of years, and it will be part of a patch - not a Version II sold as a new/different game.

I would not have purchased this, even at sale price, without that assurance.

The AI is on the to do list, but I do not expect it in the next two years.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Ian R)
Post #: 53
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: Suggestions for New Players Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI