Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

The other side of the field- Pelette (CSA) vs Burns (USA)

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> After Action Report >> The other side of the field- Pelette (CSA) vs Burns (USA) Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
The other side of the field- Pelette (CSA) vs Burns (USA) - 11/10/2013 3:34:42 PM   
moni kerr

Welcome to my AAR, or my nightmare depending on how things go.

Both Jim and I have played ACW1 by pbem although not against each other. I've played about a dozen games and won about 60% of them. That's an OK record, and indicates that I still have a lot to learn about this game. ACW2 is an expanded version with many new features. There will probably be some bugs at first, but the team at AEGOD gets their patches done quickly, so we shouldn't have too many glitches to deal with.

My general strategy when playing the South is a defensive one, although I will take the offensive in order to improve my frontier and to try to spoil the North offensive attempts.

As the South, you have a lot of territory to defend and your coastline is especially vulnerable. Key cities such as New Orleans and Savannah are vulnerable to direct invasion and they need to be strongly defended. Charleston and Mobile are protected by forts and can be more lightly defended, but you should still build a nearby reserve to bolster your defense.

Reserves are an important component to successfully defending Southern independence. And for the efficient deployment of them you will need to build your rail capacity. You might want to station them inland near vulnerable regions along the major rivers. Be very aware that Brigs and ocean transports are shallow draft vessels and can sail up major rivers, disgorging blue jacketed hordes into your heartland. If they land opposed by a strong entrenched force, they will get slaughtered. If they land unopposed, their cohesion loss and low entrenchment level make them easy pickings to a quick counter attack.

My first task is take an early lead in VP and NM to boost chance of foreign intervention. Since there isn't much to buy at fisrt there is no point to doing anything that costs VP or NM. I'll raise bonds (cost 25 VP) after I have the lead. That applies to regional decisions like requisions and draft which cost VP.

Some demonstrations in high output cities like New York, Boston etc can help lower their output by raising CSA loyalty. Only $10 if it works, and that's bargain as countering will cost $25 or VP for using Habeas Corpus decisions.

Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin
Post #: 1
RE: The other side of the field- Pelette (CSA) vs Burns... - 11/10/2013 8:27:39 PM   
moni kerr

In late April Sam Houston even fired. You get some free units including a 6lb battery, and that's nice since there isn't anything in TX to start with. All that's needed is to capture Dallas and chase those two cav units out of TX.

The CSA will get some forces in WV, a few 2 element militia each of which will add a light element beginning in late 1861. You need to have some light inf replacements available to gain this. Also some cavalry and 2 batteries of 20lbs and 2 supply wagons!!! These are all valuable, especially the wagons and cannons, so don't lose them.

There is also the possiblity of conducting a spoiling action into WV to distract the Union from VA by threatening Pittsburg. I'll commit J E Johnston's force and at the very least I should be able to destroy a depot or two, some rails and disrupt east-west rail movement. I'll call this Operation Weggie.

May- As more units become available, the army starts to grow. I'm concentrating on militia, especially in states like VA, MS and TN where fighting is likely. Also the cheap 6lb artillery which isn't all that powerful, but they gradually upgrade to 12lbs. And the 12lbs eventually upgrade to 10lbs I think. To beef up the Army of the Shenandoah I'll build regulars and add a signal and medical unit. An army HQ will go to the AOP and spend the time training up it's elements.

I have the lead in NM and VP right now and should be able to keep it. In Aug there is a small chance that with a NM lead KY will choose secession, a rather
ahistorical occurrance I hear. But it would be nice. Better is KY neutrality as that provides me with a nice no-go buffer zone.

Early June- Not much but some skirmishing in KS and IT. I'd like to destroy some forts to keep the Union from getting too close my supply lines. The St Loius massacre happens and Sterling Price appears with a large force in Fayetteville AR. I split the force up into small detachments so they can march to Springfield faster. Blow the depot in Rolla with 2 militia and head to Springfield.

Late June- The opening moves of operation Weggie. Take Parkersburg and control the rail line to Clarksburg. Some supplies will help keep us fed. I'm also beginning to assert MC over the rail line from Harper's Ferry. This is crucial to success. Starting with E K Smith and some cav, I'll add Jackson followed by the rest of the Army of the Shenandoah, once the additional brigades are built.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by moni kerr -- 11/10/2013 10:19:30 PM >

Those who beat their swords into plowshares usually end up plowing for those who kept their swords.--Ben Franklin

(in reply to moni kerr)
Post #: 2
RE: The other side of the field- Pelette (CSA) vs Burns... - 11/18/2013 12:11:12 AM   
moni kerr

Early July- No surprise that Parkerburg WV fell. Smith moves up the rail line.
Jackson will follow soon.

I'm concentrating forces near Memphis and Nashville in case KY opens up.

Late July- Cav will move to Washington WV to cut the rail and scout Pittsburg. Smith moves back to HF to resupply. Jackson moves onto the rail as more reinforcements are sent to the AOS.

Early August- KY secceeds! Time to move in. These are the four areas I want
to concentrate on. Paducah is a key point and will get a fort as soon as possible. I will move on Munfordville first and then Louisville.

About 200 pwr in Pittsburg. Easy for the AOS to deal with. AOS moves on to the rail while Jackson moves to open up the rail. I'll be able to attack Pittsburg in late Aug.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to moni kerr)
Post #: 3
RE: The other side of the field- Pelette (CSA) vs Burns... - 11/18/2013 12:13:28 AM   
moni kerr

Late August- Victory at Munfordville. On to Louisville.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to moni kerr)
Post #: 4
RE: The other side of the field- Pelette (CSA) vs Burns... - 11/18/2013 12:15:18 AM   
moni kerr

Jackson managed to gain 24% MC, not enough for the AOS to use the rail. My attack has been delayed and may not be feasible anymore. I'm sure Jim has seen the danger to Pittsburg by now and he'll be sending reinforcements. I doubt I can get there first. So I'll concentrate on WV instead.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to moni kerr)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [American Civil War] >> Civil War II >> After Action Report >> The other side of the field- Pelette (CSA) vs Burns (USA) Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI