Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Operation Brass Drum Scenario - Help

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Operation Brass Drum Scenario - Help Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Operation Brass Drum Scenario - Help - 11/14/2013 8:34:34 PM   
BKL

Has anyone played Operation Brass Drum scenario? I'm having trouble succeeding...any suggestions?
Post #: 1
RE: Operation Brass Drum Scenario - Help - 11/14/2013 9:59:52 PM   
JCR

It is difficult as hell
Launching TLAMs at the nearby airbases after the scenario starts helps somewhat though

< Message edited by JCR -- 11/14/2013 11:00:14 PM >

(in reply to BKL)
Post #: 2
RE: Operation Brass Drum Scenario - Help - 11/15/2013 7:06:10 AM   
Harcikecske

I play several hours this scenario :) very complex and very difficult
Significant object to u, need save Zumwalt ESSM's to the end game

start game
- after the start turn AI attack off the Zumwalt SAG (fire manually the ESSM's if required) and do not turn SAG radars active
- maintain continious CAP's from the Ford CVBG (only the patrol area! do not chase MIG's over the land)
- all time cover Zumwalt SAG (after the scenario start rearm F-35 to AAW mission and launch another CAP)
- F35's survive is very important for you, so use only long range amraams to attack enemy planes and set RTB
- launch Advanced Hawkeyes to monitor enemy movement and Gowlers to jam enemy radars

early game
- launch air strike at the Cha'Bar jammer station (or AI continiously jamming CAP planes)
- kill Cha'Bar radar and SAM sites before launching TLAMs or air strike (recommended) at the runways
- saved TLAMs used to distant targets near the SAG destination zone in late game

mid and late game u need air superiority over the trough

sry, i replied BKL message :)

< Message edited by Harcikecske -- 11/15/2013 10:03:45 AM >

(in reply to JCR)
Post #: 3
RE: Operation Brass Drum Scenario - Help - 11/18/2013 9:44:33 AM   
hellfish6

I'm about three hours into it.

Spoilers follow:

Very tricky mission, but I've managed a 20-to-1 kill ratio in air-to-air combat so far. I've shot down 40 enemy aircraft (mostly MiG-29s with a scattering of J-10s, J-7s and F-14s) for a recon F/A-18 (the damn MiG survived 8 AMRAAMs before I was finally able to zap him) and another F/A-18 to an undetected SAM site. I just finished squashing Cha Bahar with a long-range F-35 JDAM strike that took out the tin shield and damaged a runway. A SEAD strike, not finding any targets to hit with HARMs, was accidentally sent over Chah Bahar at 2000 feet. Somehow the two ships survived discovering all the AA (and the 12+ SA-10s thrown at them) and a follow-up Tomahawk strike took out the rest of the airfield, the jammer, and SA-10 site. I had a couple of follow-up sorties, including the doomed recon bird, to hit the ammo bunkers, fuel and another radar station I stumbled across NE of the airbase in the mountains. I suppose I didn't need to, but I wanted to play with some ordnance.

I jumped a Russian SSGN that popped up in the Zumwalt SAG. Sorry - in wartime anyone would have done the same thing to an unidentified sub in the middle of a battlegroup under fire. Yeah, I probably should have IDed it, but I had four Mk54s in the water before it went from Goblin to SSN. For some reason, the Russian DDG didn't want to fight me even after sinking the sub, but I'm 99% sure it's providing radar and jamming support to the Iranians. I'm sorely tempted to throw some HARMs at it.

I kept one E-2D and two EA-18Gs on a support line at all times. The Growlers were all offensive jamming and the E-2D let me pick up everything in the air. Not sure how much the Growlers have been helping, but their AMRAAMs have accounted for a couple of leakers that made it through my CAP.

My advice for air-to-air combat (and this is from some experience with Command, and possibly exploiting the AI) fly your aircraft at 1000 feet. Have AWACS. With AWACS and AMRAAMs you don't need to turn on your aircraft radars to engage. Manually fire AMRAAMs at targets in pairs (I always fire one from each aircraft in a 2-plane group, just in case one gets killed and the survivor was the one who fired all his missiles first). DO NOT CLOSE WITH THE ENEMY. You're so low they'll probably never see you. If I've got F/A-18Es with heavy AMRAAM loads (6 each) and four targets in range, I'll volley fire two AMRAAMs at each inbound, turn tail at minimum altitude and then use the remaining four AMRAAMs to pick off any survivors (and, given the relatively poor performance of modern missiles against modern aircraft/ECM you'll have a couple leakers). Never use your AIM-9s unless you're saving a high value asset and are willing to sacrifice your fighter.

Also, don't let the AI run your battles. I think the scenario is manageable by you manually allocating weapons - and you'll do a much better job limiting your expenditures than the AI. All too often I've had the AI fire 2-4 SAMs at a target, destroy the target with the last SAM, but not before firing 3-4 more SAMs at the target that you just blew up. Eight SAMs for one J-7 is not going to help you.

I'm gonna try running the Zumwalt group along the Omani coast at high speed. Hopefully they're moving too fast for Iran's dinky subs to intercept (at least too fast for them to move quietly to intercept) and maybe by hugging the shore the radar picture for the bad guys will be hazy. The America group is following them, for mine-clearing and gunship support when the fast attack boats inevitably show up.

My next objective is Jask. I'm pretty comfortable that I've got air superiority now, though the IRIAF still tried to send onesies and twosies against me. No Su-24s or F-4Es yet, which leads me to believe I my ships haven't been detected yet.

(in reply to Harcikecske)
Post #: 4
RE: Operation Brass Drum Scenario - Help - 11/18/2013 12:57:30 PM   
CV32

I was nearly thru the Hormuz, completely intact, but this was prior to the fix of a mine countermeasures bug. Haven't tried it since. Perhaps it is time.

Brad Leyte
HC3 development group member for HCE
Author of HCDB official database for HCE
Harpgamer.com Co-Owner

(in reply to hellfish6)
Post #: 5
RE: Operation Brass Drum Scenario - Help - 11/18/2013 11:30:02 PM   
JRyan

I kept moving north and engaging targets (planes). It was a battle of attrition but once the Iranians were low on planes and SAM's (went through lots of SLAMs and Harms), I then launched Cruise Missiles and most got through...Tough Scenario and too many US pilots went in the drink, AMARAM had poor performance but that is the way it goes sometimes..

(in reply to CV32)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios >> Operation Brass Drum Scenario - Help Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI