Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

So What Do You Think of the Upcoming Features in SPWaW v5.0 & Mega Campaign

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> So What Do You Think of the Upcoming Features in SPWaW v5.0 & Mega Campaign Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
So What Do You Think of the Upcoming Features in SPWaW ... - 3/3/2001 6:14:00 AM   
David Heath

We have posted the current list of what's coming in version v5.0 in the features section of SPWAW ( http://www.matrixgames.com/games/sp-worldatwar/features.asp )and on Tankhead site. Now I like to hear what you think and what you may want that is not there. REMEMBER I am not saying we will add it we just want to see what items are out there.

Post #: 1
- 3/3/2001 6:33:00 AM   
Colonel von Blitz

Once again I'll bring this up: cost of mortars should be decreased. German 81mm Mortar (x2) costs app. 100 points and Russian 120mm Mortar (x3) costs app. 135 points. You should actually get the amount of tubes that is promised by that multiplier or the price should be divided by that multiplier. 81mm German mortar should cost 50 points and 120mm Russian mortar 45 points. Also, this change should of course be made to every country OOBs. Colonel von Blitz

--Light travels faster than sound, that's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak--

(in reply to David Heath)
Post #: 2
- 3/3/2001 6:40:00 AM   
Warhorse

I think you will find the new mortar and indeed arty prices in general, very satisfactory! ------------------ Mike Amos Meine Ehre Heisst Treue

Mike Amos

Meine Ehre heißt Treue
www.cslegion.com

Post #: 3
- 3/3/2001 6:42:00 AM   
PerryC

I like what am seeing, WHEN do we get to put our paws on this? PerryC pro patria

Post #: 4
- 3/3/2001 6:47:00 AM   
Figmo

David, WOW - Lots of great stuff - THANKS!! Seems like you've covered most everything. I have two things: 1. In some generated battles barges can not come the the waters edge. And if the infantry go into the water to try and load - they end up being little rafts. I have a save if you need it. 2. Tank carrying trucks. I know this is a REAL luxury - but with breakdowns on - in big scenarios it would be great to have them to get my tanks closer to the battle. You asked!!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

Post #: 5
- 3/3/2001 6:47:00 AM   
Alby

quote:

Originally posted by David Heath: We have posted the current list of what's coming in version v5.0 in the features section of SPWAW ( http://www.matrixgames.com/games/sp-worldatwar/features.asp )and on Tankhead site. Now I like to hear what you think and what you may want that is not there. REMEMBER I am not saying we will add it we just want to see what items are out there.
So Far evrything is looking great!! really like the "specific turn" bombardment feature! You are doing fantstic work !! A few things I know that have been previouly discussed, but didnt see mentioned.. 1.) the drive by issue (remember this one!!) 2.) Artillery Pricing(I.E. 81mm mortars costing more than wufers for an example 3.) Any suppression added to troops other than paratroops who are paradropped? Or not allowing "regular" troops to be dropped 4.) Are any sounds being changed? I got mine finally the way I like em, Just wanna make sure I got mine backed up Hmmm Think thats it... Keep up the Great work!!!!! Alby Oops disregard number 2, just saw warhorse post...also forgot to mention...Love the "antiasterisk" feature!! always thought that was hokey [This message has been edited by Alby (edited March 02, 2001).]

Post #: 6
- 3/3/2001 7:04:00 AM   
Pave

Looks very good indeed. I can't wait until it comes out. Just one thing. I've been asking this couple of times and I think this is a relatively important issue in northern Europe. Believe it or not, but there is ice cover on lakes and most of surrounding seas for example in Finland between December and March (roughly). This means that men and often light tanks can cross rivers and lakes. But it also means that artillery fire can break the ice under the crossing units. I don't know how difficult it would be to implement ice, but it surely would add more realism to winter scenarios. Otherwise I'm completely happy. About the different objectives types. The flag which cannot be recaptured could have a variant which can change ownership only once. The difference is that you could give that flag for the other side and still the enemy could try to capture it once. If it succeeds then the other side cannot recapture it. This could be used in those "special" scenarios where you have to steal, destroy or free something.

Post #: 7
- 3/3/2001 7:18:00 AM   
AJH

Looks like the best update yet-once again we should congratulate this group for all its hard work...and that support will also come from my checkbook. Matrix truly epitomizes the spirit of this hobby. May others follow your example, gentlemen!

Post #: 8
- 3/3/2001 8:11:00 AM   
Grumble

Just saw the list. You've got my money. Two things, first will we be able to order on-line and download from your site? Second, I would like some thought given to FACs/FOs directing CAS. See if maybe a "target marking" routine could be included that would give one the ability to "mark" targets via smoke rounds or some abstraction. Capability would of course, be based on timeframe and nationality. Not a criticism by any means, just a thought (well two)

"...these go up to eleven."
Nigel Tufnel

Post #: 9
- 3/3/2001 8:18:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

The Mega Campaigns themselves will be for sale. SPWaW v 5 will come free on the disk or as a free download as always, but with only a "demo" Mega Campaign. The Mega Campaign packages will be shipped on CD only - not via download. Short of gutting the whole artillery and air system there is not much we can do to change it... I think you will like how we do it in Combat Leader though. (I know you guys HATE when I say that )

Post #: 10
- 3/3/2001 8:30:00 AM   
Supervisor

The best yet, I can't wait. Was the VCR memory bug fixed too? Behind every great product are GREAT people,and this will surely be one of the greatest ever. Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? Is it here yet? [This message has been edited by gmenfan (edited March 03, 2001).]

Post #: 11
- 3/3/2001 8:36:00 AM   
ruxius

UAU : Impressive ! how many things !I recognized a lot of improvements that were discussed here in the forum along this period..very good ! As for me I find everything ok ...I would say about point 22) & 23) that so Italy-Greece in 1940 or Italy-France in 1940 battles will be fought in the wrong place..but it is not very important.. I have written a lot of suggestions along different threads..and now I am not sure of what has been read and discarded from what instead has not been read at all... I will regroup my suggestions and send it to the appropriate place.. as for now I would ask if someone has noticed that Gliders and Cargo planes have a movement speed that is so poor they seems to be useless...I am talking about German transport planes..I didn't see about others..Infantry is very faster . I felt like the old SP1 where trucks were less fast than foot soldiers (that ws not real except for rough terrains!) I think that with a speed of 30-40 player could be more interested in developing deployments of troops behind enemy lines or strongpoints or mine fields.. Is this a feature intended to be in this way ? Other things I agree with decisions to enforce players to buy reasonable kampfgrouppe but the key of the success is that there is a slot to decide for it ! So why forbidding some kind of choices that could be decisive in some scenarios ? For instance point 26) ( my dream is to have finally 2 aircraft among my core units.. :-))) ) maybe a button in the purchasing menu entitled : Historical purchasing Yes or not Ok , 54 points are the best present to our expectations in being listened to .. Incredible MAtrix !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 12
- 3/3/2001 8:53:00 AM   
Charles22

1. Most importantly, I would like to see WWII campaign and generated campaign to have the new map widths made available to them. As things are, the width never exceeds 80. 2. I'm not so sure I like the idea of the battle superiority being changed. For example I believe the assault is now only a 2-to-1 advantage instead of 7-to-1. While it could make offensives fairly challenging, it makes for very easy defense.

Post #: 13
- 3/3/2001 8:58:00 AM   
BruceAZ

Paul: The improvements are EXCELLENT! Please tell everyone involved with the update that I (we) apprecaite their efforts and the the quality of the 5.0 product! I wish I had waited a while longer before I released my Guadalcanal Campaign last month as the Banzai Charge feature would have been great! Thank you for your time and effort. It is appreciated. My only thought/suggestion is to leave it alone for awhile (bask in the limelight... ) so we can all update our systems and enjoy it before a new release comes out! Bruce Semper Fi

Post #: 14
- 3/3/2001 9:18:00 AM   
Charles22

Since Wild Bill basically rejected my #1 shortcoming of V.5 in another thread, I would like to reinstate one I've made before as a replacement shortcoming: Units do NOT keep targets from the previous player turn, even if their range is cut to zero to keep them reacquiring during opfire. This has been lost since opfire was controlled by the player. Any way this can work alongside player-controlled opfire?

Post #: 15
- 3/3/2001 10:05:00 AM   
Panzer Capta

As is always the case with SPWaW......AWESOME!! How soon will we be able to order???

Post #: 16
- 3/3/2001 10:44:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Figmo I need a copy of that saved game and a detail e-mail of what is going on. As for your second request we have already corrected that. David

Post #: 17
- 3/3/2001 10:45:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Pave I would love to add ice but the amount of time we have will not allow for this new terrain type.

Post #: 18
- 3/3/2001 10:50:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Gmenfan Yes we have totally fixthe VCR reply. Tom spent a while on that code but got it all fixed. David

Post #: 19
- 3/3/2001 10:59:00 AM   
David Heath

Hi Charles22 I do not think Bill was killing your point but that fact that we have look into this and fixed it as best we could I did ask Tom to please look at this issue again. David

Post #: 20
- 3/3/2001 11:19:00 AM   
MaxGross

Hi there, I must congratulate all of you who have worked so hard on V.5. It seems very promising. Please excuse my ignorance but there is something I am confused about. I only play the AI. I also create my own scenarios as well as play the ones provided. You refer to "computer opponent" buying this or that, and at reduced points. (#14,#19,#20). Is that the AI your talking about? Who is buying what without your direct control in seting up a game? I would be grateful for any clarification you could provide. Looking forward to the new version. Thank you.

Post #: 21
- 3/3/2001 12:22:00 PM   
Wild Bill

Charles, I have not rejected anything. That is not my job at Matrix. I simply stated what I was told by programmers. They did the rejecting, not I. I asked for that feature some time ago and was told flatly that it could not be done. So I was only passing on information. To say, "Since Wild Bill has basically rejected..." is certainly a very cold way of stating something that is not ture. I get rejected all the time. You ought to see my list of "wants." It's bigger than any of yours. And I now have most of them as reality as most of you do. I don't have them all and I probably never will. But in case you folks have forgotten from whence we came, I strongly reommend you play or try to design a scenario in SP1. Certainly a marvelous game at that time, but look where we are now. I'm not angry, but I am rather disappointed that this is the tone for what I felt was a sincere reply to be informative on my part. I guess I oughta keep my mouth shut and let someone else stick his head in the noose for a change. In fact, I think I will do just that! Wild Bill ------------------ In Arduis Fidelis Wild Bill Wilder Coordinator, Scenario Design Matrix Games [This message has been edited by Wild Bill (edited March 03, 2001).]

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

Post #: 22
- 3/3/2001 12:23:00 PM   
Randy

Once again guys, you've out done yourselves. To watch the game evolve over the past 6 mos has been great. Plus, in a small way you let all of us be part of the process with our commments and suggestions. Thanks, you'll get my money!! Semper Fi Randy

Semper Fi
Randy

The United States Marines: America's 911 Force-The Tip of the Spear

Post #: 23
- 3/3/2001 12:52:00 PM   
kao16

The only thing I remember wanting that isn't there (except being able to shoot at an abandoned vehicle) is the idea of allowing units to fire smoke dischargers in OP fire. If recce units retreat when confronted by tanks (do they?), can they fire their SD to provide cover?

Post #: 24
- 3/3/2001 1:52:00 PM   
David Heath

Ohhh we tried and tried.... the smoke being allowed in Opfire can not be done ..... sorry.

Post #: 25
- 3/3/2001 2:00:00 PM   
LeibstandartePzD

Excellent, Excellent job gentlemen. Again Matrix out does itself. My only question is about the Mega campaigns. Where are they going to be available at and who do I send the check to? Thanks again Matrix, but please switch to something I can pay for. I want to insure that you are around for a long, long time. ------------------ Former member of the 8th US cavalry and a grandson of a Leibstandarte tanker. Former name on these boards was Leibstandarte.

Respectfully,
Jason E. Otto
Former member of the 8th US Cavalry and a grandson of a Leibstandarte tanker.

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, who has given us freedom of the press. It is the soldier, not the poet, who has given us freedom of speech

Post #: 26
- 3/3/2001 5:45:00 PM   
ruxius

Hey Bill , I am very sad you have always to repeat things about our manners... I AM SURE YOU ALL ARE DOING THE VERY BEST FOR US !! We have so a huge opportunity to be here and to express our wills that we have to think about if it's really the case to throw this out! As for me I have the problem that I do not speak in English except for what I studied at school (but I think you have noticed about this :-))))))) ) So maybe I am misunderstood in the sense and politeness an d in what I would say .. I NEVER intended to be bad behaved against you I hope this is clear despite my way to bad express myself ! So please BIll don't ignore us .your work is very precious ! By from a friend !

Italian Soldier,German Discipline!

Post #: 27
- 3/3/2001 6:10:00 PM   
Figmo

A few answers: MaxGross - the Computer Opponent and the AI are the same. In Generated Battles the AI does pick it's own units - with guidelines set up by the programers. They continually trying to improve it's selection - it's not perfect yet IMO - but much better than it use to be. ruxius - Your English is much better than my Italian - actually I don't know Italian at all - argh!! I wouldn't have known if you hadn't said anything!! Wild Bill - But the noose fits so well - we even have one pre-fitted just for you!! Especially after all those nasty - er uh - wonderful surprises in your battles. I think that's part of why you don't sleep - you're thinking of more devious ways to get us with mines and such!! Figmo

"Laws that forbid the carrying of arms...disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes ...Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, f

Post #: 28
- 3/3/2001 6:25:00 PM   
Reg

Just a question about the distribution media for your Mega Campaign. You intend shipping a product that is half propietry and half publicly redistributable. Normally this wouldn't be a problem but considering the size of the download and the difficulty some people have had trying to get it, I would suspect that a manufactured CD with Ver 5 on it would be a fairly sought after item. This could cause problems with the propietry half of the CD if this were to happen. I hope that the two products will in fact be separable so the public half can be copied to save some massive downloads!! I for one would be very keen to have a CD with SPWaW V5.0 that is freely distributable and separate media with the Mega Campaign that is not!! Is this possible or will this run into the old licencing agreements?? Thanks, Reg.

Cheers,
Reg.

(One day I will learn to spell - or check before posting....)
Uh oh, Firefox has a spell checker!! What excuse can I use now!!!

Post #: 29
- 3/3/2001 7:37:00 PM   
Kharan

43) Fixed bug with loading non-infantry on trucks. The bug also allowed you to load non-infantry on gliders and cargo planes. For example you could load a VC Firefly (weight 230) in a Canadian Douglas C-47 (carry 221) and drop it as a para. Here's my anally-retentive wish list again (bear with me, I've added and took out things appropriately) Bugs: -Reinforcement flags are randomly left out in random battles with a custom map. Workaround is to load the map once in a hotseat game before starting the real game. Also, R-flags do not get saved in a map. (http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=004057) -All slot 4 weapons which have a warhead greater than 3 have a 360 degree firing arc. (http://www.matrixgames.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=004219) -Prevent the receiving party of an airstrike seeing the opposing player's troops. -Vehicles immobilized in the editor often get fixed at the start of the scenario. -If you set a lot of spec ops target hexes and then set artillery priority hexes, spec ops targets are reset to your artillery targets. Probably vice versa too. (Hard to reproduce.) -With C&C on, clicking on each recon unit for the first time does not display the movement range correctly. -Fix vehicle crews being added automatically to kill score (if you kill them, they are counted twice). -AP ammo is loaded to a unit only in the same hex, HE ammo is loaded for units in surrounding hexes also. -Unit availability is rerandomized every time you enter reinforcement screen and is not carried over from the initial troop purchase phase. Modifications: -Make CBF powerful. (http://www.matrixgames.com/ubb/Forum2/HTML/002616.html) -Add 1-3 turns randomly at the end. -Make tanks avoid buildings when retreating. -Make retreating smarter, away from the enemy first, only then towards the retreat hex. -Optimize pathfinding for tanks (15-28 moves) instead of halftracks (30-50 moves). -Immobilized turretless tanks have many times too wide a firing arc (90 degrees). -Firing on a routed unit should not make it revert to pinned 95% of the time like it does now. -Add a toggle for fast artillery sound. Or at least make it play the normal explosion sound instead of the long one if that was causing crashes. Anything but the silence. -Do not show the loaded units when you right-click a enemy vehicle. -Limited intel shouldn't abstract player's own troop icons. -Let player fire smoke grenades in op-fire. -Disallow mine buying in meeting engagements and allow them only for the defending player in Assault/Advance games. -Having all victory hexes ends the game always. Shouldn't force morale also be low? Trivial stuff: -Fix encyclopedia changing to display fort data when the cursor has passed over a button. -Planes which don't have or have run out of bombs shouldn't display the bombing message. -Add scands, a key buffer and a word wrap to the log. Also sending messages would be more convenient by using the player's number instead of name. -Add "D - Fire smoke grenades" in gamehelp.txt. -Add "more breakdowns" in forests in terrain.txt. -Set live delay to 0 by default in the preferences.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> So What Do You Think of the Upcoming Features in SPWaW v5.0 & Mega Campaign Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI