Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Planes and Boats

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Planes and Boats Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Planes and Boats - 11/19/2013 1:33:21 AM   
junk2drive

There is a discussion at the blitz about the on board/map planes and boats. Apparently there is discussion behind the scenes about taking them out of the game.

Please don't take away the things that we have been given.

I play the AI, some don't. I play RS, some don't. I played DG and DG w VN mod. I has helos and planes and river craft. I have had success and failure with them in those games. But I never wished they were gone.

There are lots of ways to play these games and lots of options. I vote for keeping them all and adding some more.

Thanks
Post #: 1
RE: Planes and Boats - 11/19/2013 5:03:23 PM   
Otto von Blotto

I think the problem is now they are in the game, it would be risky if not impossible to try and take them out without some unforeseen consequences, the cat has been out of the bag for good or bad and more thought should have been given before they were added.

It's been a while since the last update that put them in and a lot of new scenarios have been made with them in mind. do we render some scenarios designers games unplayable or unbalanced just too encourage them not to use those ill advised additions and I do think they were an ill advised additions that broke the game scale and premise of the game it allowed some dubious play because there were not suited to the standard game as it was and originally conceived.

I would certainty vote for thinking long and hard before adding any more additions that effect the game negatively as these have done.

< Message edited by Otto von Blotto -- 11/19/2013 6:12:25 PM >

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 2
RE: Planes and Boats - 11/19/2013 11:59:29 PM   
junk2drive

I think they are only a problem for serious PBEM players. My AI opponent doesn't give a rats behind what I do.

Really the same scale complaints could be made about on board artillery but I doubt anyone wants them out.

Guess we will see what peeps have to say about C130s and the like in MW. Watch out for SAMs and lucky RPGs.

(in reply to Otto von Blotto)
Post #: 3
RE: Planes and Boats - 11/20/2013 1:04:08 PM   
MrRoadrunner

Junk, I do not want to see them out of Vietnam or even RS if they could be made to work properly. I just do not see them in scale for the system in WF and EF.
I know that the discussion at The Blitz also talked about Piper Cubs. Though, I do agree that it was a valuable part of the late war American artillery effectiveness, I do not like the super large scenario designs where it would have practical impact on scenario play.
I am sure designers of smaller scenarios will end up putting them in and that would just insert gaminess into PBEM. I really do not want to have situations where I tell my opponent to "pick something else", because of on board aircraft or ships.

Where I have issues is in the gaminess it does interject into PBEM. That would be a matter for the scenario designer? And, for my opponent who picked the scenario.
For me, if the on board planes and ships are used in a scenario I would simply not play that scenario.

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to junk2drive)
Post #: 4
RE: Planes and Boats - 11/20/2013 1:25:15 PM   
junk2drive

Well put.

I do think that some things are squad level thinking shoehorned into a platoon level game.

Someday I would like to see a squad level separate game with CS mechanics.

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 5
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> Planes and Boats Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI