Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Mines - inquiry

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mines - inquiry Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Mines - inquiry - 12/3/2013 6:37:26 PM   
rmp090946

In my continued learning curve (via playing scenarios)using the "Enhanced Nato Mod" had an instance of mines (via report summary). Subsequent to this in following turn(s) reports indicated mines sunk a couple Subs; then, report indicated that mines "had been cleared from hex #XXX. When I came back to the game screen, there were both "red mine symbols" & "blue flags" in certain hexes.

My questions: (1) I've not discovered any way (within the game) for me (user) for "mine laying" so am I correct that the game (or, Enhanced Nato Mod) performs this (laying & clearing) randomly on its own without the user (me)?

(2) Are the red mine symbols & blue flags indicative of those hexes status discovered until subsequent events change them? Does the "red mine" still actually indicate "live mines - beware"?

Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Bob
Post #: 1
RE: Mines - inquiry - 12/3/2013 8:50:07 PM   
lancer

Hi Bob,

Mine warfare is abstracted as there are no minewarfare units in the game. There is, however, some logic behind the mine aspects of the mod.

Mines are only found in coastal hexes. The closer you are to an enemy controlled port the greater your chance of running into a minefield. This is cumulative so two nearby enemy held ports will have the littoral regions between them heavily seeded with mines as time progresses.

If the AI regime is pursing a 'mine warfare' strategy then the odds increase. You can get an idea of the level of enemy mine activity from the intelligence reports that pop-up from time to time.

As the game progresses the enemy will lay new minefields at greater distances from their ports. From memory, nine hexes is as far as they can extend their tentacles. That's as the crow flies and they may even, given the right conditions, drop mines directly in front of your own ports if they are within range.

Of course they'd only do this at night, when everybody was watching the Steelers grind down the Packers.

Whenever one of your naval task forces enter a coastal hex there is a check made to see if they encounter a minefield. Distance to the nearest enemy port and the level of enemy mine warfare activity both come into it. If so then it's likely your ships will hear loud noises and a RED FLAG will be placed in the hex as an indicator of a known minefield. No guesses as to what happens if you go their again.

There is a chance that you encounter a minefield but your (assumed) mine sweepers were able to neutralise it, in which case you get a BLUE FLAG. These are hexes guaranteed to be mine free for the duration of the game. If you are planning on D-Day then that's where you want to launch it.

Keep in mind that your ships could enter a coastal hex and find nothing (no flag of either colour). There could well be a minefield present but, on the day, nobody blundered into it. You could, feasibly, enter the hex three or four times and find nothing only to run into a previously unknown minefield on the next turn. Sadly, mines don't show up on your GPS until flagged.

Strategy wise it pays to aggressively investigate enemy held shores as early in the game as you can manage as the level of enemy mine activity is generally very low and you have a better chance of sweeping clear what's there (Blue flags). Submarines are ideal for quietly poking around without being spotted by enemy air. The less they move the more stealthy they'll be.

Also take a look at the map before the umpire blows the start whistle. Look for nautical choke points. How far are these from enemy held ports? The AI loves to mine places like these and the only way to stop them is to take the nearby port.

If you capture an enemy held port then any existing minefields that have been laid from this port will, reasonably quickly, diminish in effectiveness over time as they are no longer being maintained.

The reason I put mines in the mod were to prevent the very typical - and very effective - tactic of steaming an invasion force directly up to enemy held port and capturing it by either a direct frontal amphibious assault or by landing on the hex next to it. Taking enemy held ports now require a fair bit more thought and planning.

If anyone else is reading this, the information holds good for both your NATO version of the mod and the Enhanced Mod Suite.

Cheers,
Lancer

< Message edited by lancer -- 12/3/2013 9:50:17 PM >

(in reply to rmp090946)
Post #: 2
RE: Mines - inquiry - 12/3/2013 9:19:11 PM   
rmp090946

Lancer,

First of all, thanks for this MOD...it appears to really add depth and detail not already within the game.

Your explanation is appreciated and I understand your intent and welcome this added detail. In fact, a "choke point" between my coast and my enemies is what obviously triggered the mines. I was fortunate to have only lost 1 sub; but, AI has now (after next turn) placed another mine to "seal-off" accesses to my destination objective. I'm temporally re-routing thru another of my ports until I develop a plan to take enemy's port.

Again, thanks very much for your clear and timely reply.

Regards,
Bob

(in reply to lancer)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Advanced Tactics Series >> Mines - inquiry Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI