Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Sp:waw-con 2003

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Sp:waw-con 2003 Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Sp:waw-con 2003 - 1/24/2003 11:32:34 AM   
Bernie

This is not any kind of official Matrix announcement but... could we get a "sticky" gmenfan?

M4Jess and I have been tossing around plans for a trip to Aberdeen Proving Grounds to visit the Tank Museum there.

We've set a tentative date for the first weekend in April (no, it's not an April Fool's thing).

Who would be interested in joining us and making a day of it? Anyone? It's pretty easy to get to from almost anywhere in NY, PA, MD, DE, WV, DC and I think it would be great to be able to see the people who've been my online buddies for many months now. :)

How about it folks? C'mon...you can watch Jess drool! You can help me drag him away from the Sherman's and back to his car at the end of the day (I'll need all the help I can get!)

What, me worry?
Post #: 1
Nice Idea... - 1/24/2003 11:44:06 AM   
Orzel Bialy

wish I could say it was possible for me to attend...but alas, I have already turned in my vacation requests at work for the summer. :(

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 2
Re: Nice Idea... - 1/24/2003 11:46:58 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Orzel Bialy
[B]wish I could say it was possible for me to attend...but alas, I have already turned in my vacation requests at work for the summer. :( [/B][/QUOTE]

That's okay, we'll take plenty of pictures. :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 3
- 1/24/2003 11:59:46 AM   
Hades

I might be in Baltimore that week if its the same week as my spring break. It would be really cool to put faces to names etc.

"History admires the wise, but it elevates the brave."
-Edmund Morris

[img]http://members.hometown.aol.com/guarana861512/myhomepage/russiankatkillers.jpg?mtbrand=AOL_US[/img]
[img]http://publish.hometown.aol.com/kenkbaran/images/spwaw-virtual-b-o-b

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 4
Jess will be easy to spot... - 1/24/2003 12:06:26 PM   
Orzel Bialy

he'll have his cardboard M4 outfit on....with a Christmas Wrapping Paper Tube stuck to his nose as the main gun. We won't even talk about what he'll be using to simulate the hull MG. :D

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 5
Re: Jess will be easy to spot... - 1/24/2003 12:09:54 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Orzel Bialy
[B]he'll have his cardboard M4 outfit on....with a Christmas Wrapping Paper Tube stuck to his nose as the main gun. We won't even talk about what he'll be using to simulate the hull MG. :D [/B][/QUOTE]

Don't forget the drool bib/glacis plate!

Thank G*d M4's didn't have skirts...

;)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 6
Bernie, Orzel... - 1/24/2003 8:23:08 PM   
M4Jess

BITE ME!:p

heres the map

[IMG]http://www.ordmusfound.org/images/map2.gif[/IMG]

Im making war, not trouble~

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 7
- 1/24/2003 9:03:44 PM   
M4Jess

heres the webpage

http://www.ordmusfound.org/

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 8
- 1/24/2003 10:00:37 PM   
Bing

Good to see Aberdeen is once again open to the public. Important to show the cirminals they can't shut down our country - very important.

I would love to attend, but as a senior on "fixed income" - double talk for not having much money - all I can do is hope you guys can get together, take pictures and have them posted on someone's website.

If, that is, the camera lens doesn't break during the session.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 9
- 1/25/2003 12:54:20 AM   
hellcat

i'll be with you in spirit Jess!!!

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 10
Re: Re: Jess will be easy to spot... - 1/25/2003 3:04:07 AM   
Don Doom

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]Don't forget the drool bib/glacis plate!

Thank G*d M4's didn't have skirts...

;) [/B][/QUOTE]

Actually under the british they did!!

Doom
Vet of the Russian General Winter
For death is only the begining

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 11
Re: Re: Re: Jess will be easy to spot... - 1/25/2003 3:44:58 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Don Doom
[B]Actually under the british they did!! [/B][/QUOTE]

Shhh! Don't tell Jess that! I really don't want to see his knobby knees...:eek:

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 12
The date - 1/26/2003 8:45:29 AM   
Bernie

Okay, we've firmed up the date as April 6th, a Sunday.

Everyone loses an hour of sleep though, because that's the start of DST. But I think it'll be worth it :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 13
- 1/27/2003 1:44:47 PM   
David Heath

Heck I might even be able to go.... I always wanted to go there... please keep me in the loop.

David

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 14
- 1/27/2003 1:49:20 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by David Heath
[B]Heck I might even be able to go.... I always wanted to go there... please keep me in the loop.

David [/B][/QUOTE]

Will do David! One of the things we'll be working on in coming months is a time and place to meet when we get there. I'm thinking the Gift Shop at say 9am.

We'll also have to figure out a way to recognize each other. Any suggestions on that?

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 15
- 1/27/2003 10:31:18 PM   
Bing

Start a rogue's gallery. Let everyone who has the nerve post a picture of himself. Or, wear a rose between your teeth, that usually attracts attention at the McDonalds.

Bing

"For Those That Fought For It, Freedom Has a Taste And A Meaning The Protected Will Never Know. " -
From the 101st Airborne Division Association Website

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 16
- 1/28/2003 1:26:00 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bing
[B]Start a rogue's gallery. Let everyone who has the nerve post a picture of himself. Or, wear a rose between your teeth, that usually attracts attention at the McDonalds.

Bing [/B][/QUOTE]

I figured David might suggest we make name tags out of the box end flap of any of the Mega Campaigns. ;)

However, a SP:WAW name tag might not be a bad idea. I'll see what I can design and maybe post the graphic in a future message. Folks would just have to save the graphic, print it on a card and add their name.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 17
Bernie will buy lunch!!! - 1/30/2003 8:56:30 AM   
M4Jess

as soon as I kill hill him in our PBEM game...:rolleyes: :cool: :D

Orzel, Goblin! you WILL be there!!!!!! :mad:

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 18
- 1/31/2003 7:24:59 AM   
gn08979

**** **** ****.......I'm in LA for a class the whole week before. I get home Sunday, and I am waaaaaay in the doghouse for going to Mets opening day at Shea on the 29th. I try to go to the proving grounds I'm going to have lots of free time for PBM. This sounds like fun but the notice is a little short. If the date changes I'm in

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 19
- 1/31/2003 7:29:14 AM   
M4Jess

[QUOTE]Originally posted by gn08979
[B]**** **** ****.......I'm in LA for a class the whole week before. I get home Sunday, and I am waaaaaay in the doghouse for going to Mets opening day at Shea on the 29th. I try to go to the proving grounds I'm going to have lots of free time for PBM. This sounds like fun but the notice is a little short. If the date changes I'm in [/B][/QUOTE]

sorry gn08979:( but the date is set..I am gonna send a e-mail about a tour...;)

Orzel! Goblin!, Viking!, Hellcat!, Gary!, Wild Bill!!!!!!!!!!, and the rest! lets go!

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 20
- 1/31/2003 11:43:06 AM   
Wild Bill

I'm giving it serious consideration, guys. I was there four years ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself. For those who've never been, you don't want to miss it.

I also took in Gettysburg while I was in the area... another worthwhile visit.

At any rate, I'll be following this post. I'll let you guys know if I can confirm this. If old David is going, I guess I'll have to make the trip...

Wild Bill

In Arduis Fidelis
Wild Bill Wilder
Independent Game Consultant

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 21
- 1/31/2003 1:41:58 PM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Wild Bill
[B]I'm giving it serious consideration, guys. I was there four years ago and thoroughly enjoyed myself. For those who've never been, you don't want to miss it.

I also took in Gettysburg while I was in the area... another worthwhile visit.

At any rate, I'll be following this post. I'll let you guys know if I can confirm this. If old David is going, I guess I'll have to make the trip...

Wild Bill [/B][/QUOTE]

WB, if you can make it we'd love to have you. You're on my short list of "Folks I Have Got To Meet In This Lifetime" :)

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 22
Bernie and M4 - 2/9/2003 10:07:14 PM   
Dogfish

Hey All:

I'm late on this reply, but I don't get to this site that often anymore. I was at Aberdeen a couple of years ago. I coordinated the trip to coincide with the MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Assoc) convention.... (I think it is in May).
Do a search on MVPA. It may be too late for you to change your schedule this year, but there are advantages for visiting during the convention. The MVPA group was on the grounds of Aberdeen with a few hundred exhibits of restored vehicles, vendors, some reenactors etc. This is a good event in itself. Also the director of the Ordnance Museum (sorry, I forget his name), you may have seen him on the History Channel, gave a guided tour of the usually unseen parts of the complex. I saw the restoration shops and the warehouse where the restored vehicles are being housed until a new building can be built. Without the giuded tour you will be limited to see the "rusting hulks" (the dir's words) outside and the small arms collection in the musuem building. The museum plans to restore the hulks and move them all inside, to a new building when they have the funds to build it. His tour explained what they are up against with the EPA as far as rendering the vehicles safe (they even have to change any glow in the dark gauges!). He said they also receive hate mail form people that think it is a musuem to war and that the vehicles should be sold for scrap. Maybe you can contact him and arrange a tour. They rely on donations and private funding, so I would encourage anyone who can make it to go, and to drop some change in their jar.

-Dogfish

When you're wounded and left
on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out
to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle
and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Kipling

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 23
Re: Bernie and M4 - 2/10/2003 6:56:06 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dogfish
[B]Hey All:

I'm late on this reply, but I don't get to this site that often anymore. I was at Aberdeen a couple of years ago. I coordinated the trip to coincide with the MVPA (Military Vehicle Preservation Assoc) convention.... (I think it is in May).
Do a search on MVPA. It may be too late for you to change your schedule this year, but there are advantages for visiting during the convention. The MVPA group was on the grounds of Aberdeen with a few hundred exhibits of restored vehicles, vendors, some reenactors etc. This is a good event in itself. Also the director of the Ordnance Museum (sorry, I forget his name), you may have seen him on the History Channel, gave a guided tour of the usually unseen parts of the complex. I saw the restoration shops and the warehouse where the restored vehicles are being housed until a new building can be built. Without the giuded tour you will be limited to see the "rusting hulks" (the dir's words) outside and the small arms collection in the musuem building. The museum plans to restore the hulks and move them all inside, to a new building when they have the funds to build it. His tour explained what they are up against with the EPA as far as rendering the vehicles safe (they even have to change any glow in the dark gauges!). He said they also receive hate mail form people that think it is a musuem to war and that the vehicles should be sold for scrap. Maybe you can contact him and arrange a tour. They rely on donations and private funding, so I would encourage anyone who can make it to go, and to drop some change in their jar.

-Dogfish

When you're wounded and left
on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out
to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle
and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.

Kipling [/B][/QUOTE]

Well! You've given us much to think about here. I'll do a web search tonight and see what I can find about this years convention. Jess? Might we want to reschedule if it's close to the day we picked?

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 24
- 2/12/2003 9:50:43 AM   
Jeff Norton

All,

I live up the road near the mouth of the Susquehanna River at Havre De Grace.

Frank Howell, AKA Sven, lives on post and conducts a mean tour.

If assistance is needed, I can collect some of the local data, like, times for the Ripkin museum, The Ironbirds ballpark, and, some other local tourist 'traps'.

Not too sure what the security level will be around that time, but the museum loves company these days....

-Jeff
Veritas Vos Liberabit
"Hate America - love their movies" -Foos Babaganoosh - Anchor - Jihad Tonite

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 25
Re: Re: Bernie and M4 - 2/12/2003 9:53:02 AM   
M4Jess

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Bernie
[B]Well! You've given us much to think about here. I'll do a web search tonight and see what I can find about this years convention. Jess? Might we want to reschedule if it's close to the day we picked? [/B][/QUOTE]

No lets do this! the date is set! if we dont hold the date then it will never happen....

Jess

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 26
Yes! - 2/12/2003 9:54:03 AM   
M4Jess

Jeff Norton!!!!

Thank you....but you will join us????

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 27
Re: Re: Re: Bernie and M4 - 2/12/2003 10:33:10 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M4 Jess
[B]No lets do this! the date is set! if we dont hold the date then it will never happen....

Jess [/B][/QUOTE]

Okay, April 6th it is! However, maybe a return vist when the convention is there would be possible?

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 28
Re: Bernie and M4 - 2/12/2003 10:40:36 AM   
Bernie

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Dogfish
[B]Hey All:

Do a search on MVPA. [/B][/QUOTE]

I'm sorry to report that this tear the MVPA convention will be in California, and no events are scheduled for the Baltimore/D.C. area this year. You can find their web site at [URL]http://www.mvpa.org[/URL] for more information about the association and it's events.

What, me worry?

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 29
- 2/13/2003 2:22:57 AM   
Snigbert

Hi guys,

I'm more of a UV/WitP nut than SP:WaW, but I've been wanting to visit the Ordnance Museum for years (my buddy did OCS right near there and told me all about the museum).

Count me in for the trip, for sure. Perhaps we should all buy Matrix hats from the Matrix online store to recognize each other. Or we can just look for the pale skin and bulging eyes of people who spend way too much time in front of their PCs.

Does anyone know if the museum is handicapped accesable? I am in a wheel chair...

"Money doesnt talk, it swears. Obscenities, who really cares?" -Bob Dylan

"Habit is the balast that chains a dog to it's vomit." -Samuel Becket

"He has weapons of mass destruction- the world's deadliest weapons- which pose a direct threat to the

(in reply to Bernie)
Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> Sp:waw-con 2003 Page: [1] 2 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI