Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

What's going on????

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What's going on???? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
What's going on???? - 3/4/2001 11:32:00 PM   
Fabs

I'm testing a new scenario, the first one I've started for quite a while. I have British (H) attacking, Germans (AI)defending in a British assault scenario. The Germans have all been given their "reaction turn 99", and have been turned over to computer control as the last action prior to saving the game and playing the first test. What happens at German turn 7? The brave grenadiers and the SdKfz 251s leave their carefully prepared positions and start charging madly forward towards the advancing Brits, despite this being a 30 turn game and no objectives having been taken by the Brits. It's just plain stupid. They are supposed to remain hidden and make the British pay for every yard of ground they've advanced on. Instead they just rush out to commit suicide. I thought this bug, which I think first appeared in 4.4, had been fixed. Any comments? ------------------ Fabs

Fabs
Post #: 1
- 3/5/2001 2:46:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

Actually it has existed in various forms since SP1...just depends on what happens to trigger them to go after objectives. This seems to be working a lot better in V5.

(in reply to Fabs)
Post #: 2
- 3/5/2001 4:33:00 AM   
Fabs

Perhaps, except that: 1) 18 of the objectives are hidden. 2) the 3 that aren't are in german hands, and well to the German rear. These guys are running, banzai style, AWAY from the objectives and towards the barrels of the British guns. Even snipers are doing this! 3) For years I have been able to play Assault/defend scenarios without this happening. It never happened in SP1 through to SPWW2, it started happening with a recent version of SPWAW. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Fabs)
Post #: 3
- 3/5/2001 4:56:00 AM   
Paul Vebber

1) What type of hdden objectives? SOme of them are SUPPOSED to be "AI magnets" so they may be working as intended but not how you want... 2) are the germans running those objectives? 3) Since only SP:WaW has hidden objectives your previous experience is immaterial when using them as they are new. I say again, we changed the V hex behavior in version 5 because we found some things that were not working right. You may be experiencing some of these difficulties.

(in reply to Fabs)
Post #: 4
- 3/5/2001 5:54:00 AM   
Fabs

The objectives are hidden from Human and AI player until turn 30. They are neutral (not British or German) and positioned well to the rear of the defending Germans, who are running FORWARD in the opposite direction. The German units are running towards the British, wherever they are, ignoring the objectives. They are behaving like beserkers, except that "beserk units" only becomes available in V.5. In any event, all these units have been assigned reaction turn 99 and turned over to AI control before saving the scenario. They are all in "defense" stance. The scenario is in its testing stage, and during testing I hide victory objectives well away from the action to concentrate on how the battle plays so that I can then decide how best to place the objectives. Not sure what you mean about my previous experience not being material. You were the one who said these problems were around since SP1, not I. I simply said that I only experienced them since the previous version of SPWAW. That version had similar type objectives to 4.5. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Fabs)
Post #: 5
- 3/5/2001 6:40:00 AM   
Don

Hi Fabs, There are times when you simply cannot get defenders to stay in place, and as Paul says this seems to be much better in 5.0. The only other thing I can think of to try (if you haven't done it) is to set the blue objective flag right on the defending units. If you do this AND set reaction turn to 99 and they still move there's not much more you can do. ------------------ Don "Sapper" Llewellyn, Coordinator SPWAW Tactical Training Center EMAIL: [email]egcwman@mindspring.com[/email]

Don "Sapper" Llewellyn

(in reply to Fabs)
Post #: 6
- 3/5/2001 8:15:00 PM   
Fabs

Thank you, Don, for your helpful suggestion. I have tried it and it seems to have stopped the problem, although I only played one game to test it. I'll keep my fingers crossed and wait for V.5. ------------------ Fabs

Fabs

(in reply to Fabs)
Post #: 7
- 3/6/2001 6:32:00 AM   
BruceAZ

Try the flag routine as it worked for me. Bruce Semper Fi ------------------ "The most important element in war is man. And there are no tougher men than my China Marines." Major Gen. Archer 'Archy' Vandegrift, 1st Marine Division

(in reply to Fabs)
Post #: 8
- 3/6/2001 8:35:00 AM   
Greg McCarty

The German units are running towards the British, wherever they are, ignoring the objectives. They are behaving like beserkers, except that "beserk units" only becomes available in V.5. I had a similar experience with some trucks and a lone sp250 in a scenario I am working on as well. The rest of the units behaved rock solid. I eventually found a work-around, but sometimes theres just no explaining this stuff. I have no way of knowing for sure, but I have a funny feeling the behavior is related to changing unit types on the fly. my suspicion is that while this seems to work ok most of the time, there are situations where some of the characteristics of the old units get carried over in the saved data file. The result may be sort of an unpredictable schizophrenia, but it doesn't seem to have a chronic pattern. ------------------ Greg. 37 mill AA... can suddenly ruin your day. [This message has been edited by Greg McCarty (edited March 05, 2001).]

Greg.

It is better to die on your feet
than to live on your knees.

--Zapata

(in reply to Fabs)
Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> What's going on???? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI