Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

moderators

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> moderators Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
moderators - 12/6/2013 8:24:10 PM   
michaelbaldur

just had a unpleasant post from somebody.

I demanded a apology, but after a few days, I realized that he had not broken any rules.

it is totally legal on this forum.

a wise man once said, a law that is not enforced is not legal.

in the last years we have had people who went to far, way to far. (don´t want to mention names)

but where were the moderators.

so that is the status of the forum, you can post anything you want.

free for all

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com
Post #: 1
RE: moderators - 12/6/2013 9:06:41 PM   
wodin

Seems alot of bad blood around recently. I too have noticed posts going unpunished.

(in reply to michaelbaldur)
Post #: 2
RE: moderators - 12/6/2013 11:07:44 PM   
Jimm

quote:

ORIGINAL: michaelbaldur

I demanded a apology, but after a few days, I realized that he had not broken any rules.

in the last years we have had people who went to far, way to far. (don´t want to mention names)

free for all

I was going to respond in support but frankly Paul did it in spades and I couldnt put it any better than he did. Silly poster to take offense on a rule check, I understand the frustation of the game not working for him but your comment was entirely reasonable.

I'm not sure how you moderate that kind of thing- frnakly you would hope that reasonable people would respond in support, which clearly they did.

< Message edited by Jimm -- 12/7/2013 12:14:55 AM >

Post #: 3
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 5:30:07 AM   
76mm

Guys, so what action would you expect from a moderator? I think people that post here should have a fairly thick skin, this forum is much tamer than others I've seen.

(in reply to Jimm)
Post #: 4
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 11:15:21 AM   
tocaff

If nothing else there is always the Green Button.

Todd

I never thought that doing an AAR would be so time consuming and difficult.
www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2080768

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 5
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 1:29:50 PM   
Orm

Or the 'report' link.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to tocaff)
Post #: 6
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 2:49:03 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

Guys, so what action would you expect from a moderator? I think people that post here should have a fairly thick skin, this forum is much tamer than others I've seen.

Not quite sure what a moderator would or should do I know what I would do if I was the moderator. Why should we have thick skin? My problem with omnius is that I felt posters were really trying to assist him about this convoy problem, which is about one tenth of one tenth of a hundred percent importance in the game IMHO.

To him it's important I see that and I guess I have to respect that, but come on, enough is enough, tamer, where is that playing at? I have not seen this display of vindictiveness by a few posters here sinse the debates over the AI several years ago. I realize that this game causes some passions here and there, but when some of the beta people go to help out they should not be chastised for their efforts.

Bo

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 7
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 3:13:00 PM   
WIF_Killzone

Geez Bo, Reminds me of you in the good old days

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 8
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 3:30:46 PM   
michaelbaldur

what they could do ..

a simple thing as commenting on the posts, would set the line.

don´t want post deleted or somebody banned.

but right now there are no line

< Message edited by michaelbaldur -- 12/7/2013 4:32:54 PM >

the wif rulebook is my bible

I work hard, not smart.

beta tester and Mwif expert

if you have questions or issues with the game, just contact me on Michaelbaldur1@gmail.com

(in reply to WIF_Killzone)
Post #: 9
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 3:37:12 PM   
Centuur

quote:

what they could do ..

don´t want post deleted or somebody banned.

but right now there are no line

I think we need another moderator in the forums. Since Steve is probably very busy getting bugs out of the way, another one should be asked to keep an eye on things in here.

Peter

Post #: 10
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 4:19:18 PM   
76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo
My problem with omnius is that I felt posters were really trying to assist him about this convoy problem...I have not seen this display of vindictiveness by a few posters here sinse the debates over the AI several years ago.

I'm not condoning or judging anyone's conduct, but I think that moderators' main function should be banning/suspending someone who gets too far out of line. I don't think moderators should be tut-tutting people about perceived snarky comments, bad manners, etc., it is just too subjective, and frankly other posters can (and did in this instance) make the point pretty well. As someone pointed about above, if a particular user really bothers you, you can "green button" them, problem solved.

And while the referenced comments were not nice at all for someone who was trying to help, I'm not sure that I would call them "vindictive" (more like "bad-mannered" or "rude"). When I say people should have thicker skin I mean that people write lots of things on this and similar fora--often quickly and without putting as much thought as they should, after a tough day, etc.--and there is not much point in getting too upset about any of it.

quote:

yeah, I hear you, but not really sure that we need a moderator for that, several others posts already made the point.

< Message edited by 76mm -- 12/7/2013 5:23:34 PM >

(in reply to bo)
Post #: 11
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 4:21:57 PM   
warspite1

quote:

quote:

My problem with omnius is that I felt posters were really trying to assist him about this convoy problem...I have not seen this display of vindictiveness by a few posters here sinse the debates over the AI several years ago.

I'm not condoning or judging anyone's conduct, but I think that moderators' main function should be banning/suspending someone who gets too far out of line. I don't think moderators should be tut-tutting people about perceived snarky comments, bad manners, etc., it is just too subjective, and frankly other posters can (and did in this instance) make the point pretty well. As someone pointed about above, if a particular user really bothers you, you can "green button" them, problem solved.

And while the referenced comments were not nice at all for someone who was trying to help, I'm not sure that I would call them "vindictive" (more like "bad-mannered" or "rude"). When I say people should have thicker skin I mean that people write lots of things on this and similar fora--often quickly and without putting as much thought as they should, after a tough day, etc.--and there is not much point in getting too upset about any of it.
warspite1

+1.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 12
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 4:41:40 PM   
bo

quote:

ORIGINAL: WIF_Killzone

Geez Bo, Reminds me of you in the good old days

quote:

(in reply to bo)

Ouch, thanks friend of mine Yeah I went back and looked at some of my posts and I was a jerk truthfully Kill I have never changed my opinion about the length of time the game took and the no AI then and now when released. Steve and I have discussed that several times in a nice way

My feeling was at my age I would never enjoy the game and if I am put in a nursing home by my cheap wifes she will put me in one without the internet and a computer to save a buck or a euro, whatever

BO

< Message edited by bo -- 12/7/2013 5:42:59 PM >

(in reply to WIF_Killzone)
Post #: 13
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 4:43:32 PM   
Arnir

The release of a game like this also results in a blending of two different communities (board and computer) and that can also lead to a culture clash. Some folks are just plain jerks so all you can do is try and then if things don't work out hit the ignore button. Sometimes it is tone, time of day, etc., but the best thing to do is move on. I've almost replied to many things but decided it wasn't worth it. I'm sure others have felt the same way about me at times. Life is too short for...(fill in your own trite ending here.)

Snark is fortunately rare around here so it looms larger than life when applied in the recent large doses.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 14
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 4:54:39 PM   
Klydon

As a extremely long time veteran of multiple message boards and having been involved with MMO's nearly 14 years where the written word is the only form of communication, I have developed a little saying and it holds true especially on a board where many do not have English as their first language:

The written word can suck for intent and can be easily misinterpreted by different people depending on how they look at it. What you personally read into a comment may not be even close to what the poster had in mind.

Posts that are over the top are easily recognized by the community and those are the ones that should be dealt with by mods (the hate one in the thread discussing Yugoslavia comes to mind as an example). Otherwise, the people that mod these boards don't have the time to play referee and try to figure out who is saying what or what the intent is.

(in reply to Arnir)
Post #: 15
RE: moderators - 12/7/2013 4:56:08 PM   
bo

quote:

quote:

quote:

yeah, I hear you, but not really sure that we need a moderator for that, several others posts already made the point.

Your are right about being subjective about what constitutes mean spitited posts by one person, maybe a small committee might work. I have a problem with the so called green button.

I was not referring to ominus with the comment about vindictiveness I should have made that clearer, I was referring to some posts lately. I guess I was more suprised at the way he [ominus] handled helpful suggestions from beta and other posters.

A few months ago there was some really foul language used here that was taken care of after a period of time, it should have been taken care of that day, a dedicated moderator would have been on top of that person that day. [dedicated meaning just dedication to this forum at all times.]

(in reply to 76mm)
Post #: 16
RE: moderators - 12/8/2013 4:12:29 AM   
Extraneous

quote:

free for all

Since your post is dated December 6 it wasn't me.

I've been good lately.

University of Science Music and Culture (USMC) class of 71 and 72 ~ Extraneous (AKA Mziln)

Post #: 17
RE: moderators - 12/8/2013 5:25:50 AM   
paulderynck

Compulsory per option 50

Paul

(in reply to Extraneous)
Post #: 18
RE: moderators - 12/8/2013 11:20:31 AM   
Walker84

quote:

ORIGINAL: Klydon

As a extremely long time veteran of multiple message boards and having been involved with MMO's nearly 14 years where the written word is the only form of communication, I have developed a little saying and it holds true especially on a board where many do not have English as their first language:

The written word can suck for intent and can be easily misinterpreted by different people depending on how they look at it. What you personally read into a comment may not be even close to what the poster had in mind.

Posts that are over the top are easily recognized by the community and those are the ones that should be dealt with by mods (the hate one in the thread discussing Yugoslavia comes to mind as an example). Otherwise, the people that mod these boards don't have the time to play referee and try to figure out who is saying what or what the intent is.

+1.

It has also been my long-standing experience of different forums that some members can be very quick to take offence - either through misunderstanding, over-sensitivity to perceived criticism, or overlooking what the poster's original intent might have been.

I agree with Klydon's point that the message can sometimes be misconstrued, especially if English is not the first language and nuances can be lost. It is surely a wiser course of action to take a deep breath first of all, then re-read the post to make sure of its intent, helpful or otherwise, before firing off something potentially rude and inflammatory in response. Would we treat people like this if they were members of the same wargaming society that we meet regularly face to face in the local village hall? In most cases I think not!

The most advanced nations are always those who navigate the most -
Ralph Waldo Emerson (1803 -1882)

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 19
RE: moderators - 12/8/2013 2:29:26 PM   
Neilster

There are two types of people I can't stand. The rude and the Danish

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to Walker84)
Post #: 20
RE: moderators - 12/8/2013 2:35:36 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Neilster

There are two types of people I can't stand. The rude and the Danish

Cheers, Neilster

You are now being rude to the Danish people, just like Shakespeare. You now have to hit yourself.

I actually quite like them, but that is probably because we share the same cultural group (with the Swedes and Norwegians). See ITIM for more info on cultural groups and how the French are the groupe to target

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 21
RE: moderators - 12/8/2013 2:58:13 PM   
Neilster

Nah...we love 'em. Tasmania gave them their Princess Mary. And a good sort she is too. Not that that there is any shortage of attractive girls in your cultural group

Cheers, Neilster

Attachment (1)

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 22
RE: moderators - 12/8/2013 3:10:36 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

Nah...we love 'em. Tasmania gave them their Princess Mary. And a good sort she is too. Not that that there is any shortage of attractive girls in your cultural group

Cheers, Neilster

Mixing their bloodline with Celtic blood, it looks like. That will make their offspring even more beautyfull!

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 23
RE: moderators - 12/8/2013 3:11:10 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

quote:

Cheers, Neilster

Mixing their bloodline with Celtic blood, it looks like. That will make their offspring even more beautyfull!

could be French as well, however.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 24
RE: moderators - 12/8/2013 9:19:17 PM   
Neilster

Kind of a mixed bag I think but definitely some Scottish there. Her surname was Donaldson.

Cheers, Neilster

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 25
RE: moderators - 12/9/2013 1:24:28 PM   
Mike Parker

If its who I think it is (and I am pretty sure it is) I just stopped reading anything by him. Abrasive enough to make a me cringe. For awhile I just thought "Wow this guy must not realize how insulting his responses come off as being" but after awhile I thought "Who cares this guy is bumming me out" so I just stopped reading those threads. I dunno if a moderator is called for but man if *I* had been a moderator I would have been found with my mouse hovering over the delete button I am sure!

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 26
RE: moderators - 12/9/2013 1:39:24 PM   
LeeChard

I love the Scots/Scotch!
I have both in my blood

(in reply to Neilster)
Post #: 27
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> moderators Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI