Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Pain of Set Up

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Pain of Set Up Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Pain of Set Up - 12/15/2013 10:38:16 AM   
jhdeerslayer

Wasn't sure what else to call this... So you spend many hours setting up all sides in a global type game solitaire. But then you find say you did a dumb set up as the Chinese for example. But their set up was one of the first and you spent many hours setting up everybody else after this and you don't want to start over. I don't see a way yet to go back and maybe tweak an earlier set up. I see the Save Setup function for each Major but not sure this helps in this situation. Thoughts?

Post #: 1
RE: Pain of Set Up - 12/15/2013 12:31:18 PM   
Hokum

Experience :)
One of the great joy of WiF is that you will do mistakes in a game. In the next one, you won't do them again, but you'll do a bunch of new ones.
My best advice would be for you to set-up units, then post it on this forum explaining your reasoning behind your set-up for experienced players to give their thoughts about it.

(in reply to jhdeerslayer)
Post #: 2
RE: Pain of Set Up - 12/15/2013 1:44:19 PM   
Klydon

I have had some of the same issues where I want to go back and change a few things or even just not start the game with how it came out. (The Germans got screwed and only started with 1 Stuka as an example. Why do I want to play a game like that if I am just messing around and most of the time, the Germans are going to get two Stukas? Since the Germans set up last, I had set up everyone else to learn that. Unhappy I was.. heh).

I find the thing that takes the longest to figure out are the convoy placements. Fortunately as you mentioned, you can save those and use the same setup every game.

You can go through and do saves at the start of each player setup, but by doing that, you are stuck with any previous setups you did already. Just the way it goes.

(in reply to Hokum)
Post #: 3
RE: Pain of Set Up - 12/15/2013 3:36:42 PM   
Courtenay

You can save your fixed set ups for each nation. This only affects fixed units, but those include almost the entire navies. I found it a great time saver when I wanted to redo a set up.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to Klydon)
Post #: 4
RE: Pain of Set Up - 12/15/2013 5:08:19 PM   
paulderynck

Right, just save each one as it's done and then recall them if you start over. Then you can change what you want and save again - even using a different file name if you want a few choices available. Yes it does not place the random selects, but with experience you realize it doesn't matter - FREX if you get the Brit 5-4 or 6-4 INF, you need that INF positioned to do such-and-such in the first turn of the game, etc. etc.

Paul

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 5
RE: Pain of Set Up - 12/16/2013 1:32:56 PM   
jhdeerslayer

OK thanks guys. Just wanted to check if I was missing something about setup flexibility and guess I'm not. No worries as I'm still in learning mode anyway.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 6
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> Pain of Set Up Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI