Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Manual Play - Distant Worlds, The Manly Man Way to P

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Manual Play - Distant Worlds, The Manly Man Way to P Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 1/7/2016 7:09:34 AM   
Gamewize

Heyas. First off, Timotheus, thank you a ton for making this guide. You may or may not be reading these forums anymore, but I just wanted to say that this guide really made me love this game again. What BlackSoulReaper said rung very true for me, as I got consistently frustrated with the game because I was letting it 'play itself' and thought I had little control over things.

Thanks to this I have a much better understanding of how things work, and it's making my games much more fun.

A few things I wanted to add here, for anyone whose curious: Using the Extended Enhanced mod, this guide works fine and well as is, with the following changes I've noticed:

- The Predator design outlined in the guide will take up around 330 Size. However, the first Size Enhancement research gives you 400 instead of 300 size, so there's nothing to worry about.
- The Gerax Hyperdrive will only give you up to about 6800 speed on the Predator design, and not 15000.
- Automated explorers are much smarter, and will intelligently scan ruins as of this writing.
- You may have to add another reactor or two to some designs. The rule of thumb I have read is that your Excess Energy Output should equal or slightly exceed your Weapon Energy Consumption + Shield Recharge Time + Sprint Speed Energy Usage.

(in reply to Cyraga)
Post #: 121
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/30/2016 2:52:01 AM   
Badbonez

Thanks for the guide! It was pretty useful for a new user who had been struggling trying to make sense of all the components to the game. Going manual, although counter-intuitive, does make sure that you learn all the different concepts. But who wrote this? George RR Martin? It sure is taking a long time for the next chapter!

Waiting to see how to deal with pirates...

Cheers!

(in reply to Gamewize)
Post #: 122
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 9/8/2016 12:57:05 AM   
Timotheus

Wow, so happy that people still find this guide useful.
At least I accomplished one GOOD thing in my life...

I think I should enlist in the Mobile Infantry - after all, service guarantees citizenship, and all the cool kids are doing it...

NEWBIE GUIDE Distant Worlds Universe
http://tinyurl.com/k3frrle

War in the Pacific Poradnik po Polsku
http://tinyurl.com/nxd4cesh

INSTALL WITPAE on modern PC
https://tinyurl.com/l5kr6rl

(in reply to Badbonez)
Post #: 123
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 9/8/2016 2:11:53 AM   
Retreat1970

quote:

I think I should enlist in the Mobile Infantry - after all, service guarantees citizenship, and all the cool kids are doing it...

I'll sign up if Dina Meyer and Denise Richards are still there.

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 124
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 5/1/2017 1:35:32 AM   
Timotheus

Whelp, it is 2017, wonder if people are still getting some benefit from this guide?

I made a guide for another game, Advanced Tactics Gold, in which I show step by step how to create your own WW2 historical scenario, including creating your own map and units. It's in my siggy.

Cheers everyone.

PS
Those chix are not that hawt anymore.

(in reply to Retreat1970)
Post #: 125
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 5/4/2017 11:40:33 PM   
Hattori Hanzo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Timotheus

quote:

Whelp, it is 2017, wonder if people are still getting some benefit from this guide?

YES, we are.. !!!!!

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 126
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 9/20/2017 9:11:46 AM   
Rhinozherous

quote:

I made a guide for another game, Advanced Tactics Gold, in which I show step by step how to create your own WW2 historical scenario, including creating your own map and units. It's in my siggy.

Cheers everyone.

PS
Those chix are not that hawt anymore.

I was really close to go back to Civilization, but then I read your guide and now I am out of both civs (sid's civ and the other one with the weird graphics... and other people and so on...) Thank you very much

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 127
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 9/27/2017 9:44:16 AM   
Galahad78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

quote:

quote:

YES, we are.. !!!!!

Indeed!!!

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 128
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 12/14/2017 3:11:28 PM   
Rumpelstiltskin

quote:

I'm at the top of the Empire Comparison graph deep into my very first game of Distant Worlds after following your guide (also having done the tutorials and read most of the manual), so I'd say I got some benefit from it.

The guide could use a bit of updating, if you (or anyone, really) are ever of a mind. It starts to go off the rails in terms of certain ship designs; the part about swampy planets is also a bit wonky. The first dozen or so systems I explored had, at best, a small handful desert and ocean planets. I was probably unlucky, although it may have helped me in the end by preventing me from trying to expand too quickly.

(in reply to Galahad78)
Post #: 129
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 12/16/2017 7:55:30 AM   
Hattori Hanzo

With which races do you have played your first DWU game?

(in reply to Rumpelstiltskin)
Post #: 130
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 12/16/2017 11:37:17 AM   
Rumpelstiltskin

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hattori Hanzo

With which races do you have played your first DWU game?

It was me playing humans with Ackdarian, Atuuk, Boskara, Dhayut, Gizurean, Haakonish, Kiadien, Mortalen, Naxxilian, Quameno, Securan, Wekkaru, and eventually a couple of human-dominant minor factions who became major players.

The Gizureans were by far the biggest threat, going neck-and-neck with me into the late game and surpassing me at times, not surprising since they're almost entirely geared for war.

I could only ever manage to get the Securans and Kiadians to form Mutual Defense Pacts, and boy did I pay for those, since they both pulled me into wars with the Boskara and Gizurean that I had to finish. I ended up subjugating the Boskara after the first war, then was forced to declare war on them again even though they were subjugated because the Kiadians declared war on them, yet again.

To be fair, both the Securans and the Kiadians agreed to declare war on the Gizureans when I decided it was Starship Troopers time, although I don't think they added a whole lot to the effort.

(in reply to Hattori Hanzo)
Post #: 131
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 1/19/2018 8:30:50 PM   
rlm60

Thank you for the great guide, is it more or less still up to date?
I am asking because I am thinking of buying this game and will be using your guide to get going.
Thanks again

(in reply to Rumpelstiltskin)
Post #: 132
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 1/20/2018 7:50:50 AM   
Bingeling

Yes, it should be more or less up to date. There has been no fundamental changes to the game.

(in reply to rlm60)
Post #: 133
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 2/24/2018 4:36:04 AM   
Timotheus

Aaaaand it is 2018.

Still going strong.

Bought Stellaris.

That... that was a mistake. DWU is such a superior game, it is not even funny.

Only area where Stellaris has DWU beat? Graphics.

Which... since I play on the zoomed out strategic map.... doesn't matter much, does it.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 134
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/1/2018 12:58:29 AM   
Worldtraveller

Loved the guide. Between this, and the youtube tutorials (several good ones now), it's really helped.

I do wonder of anyone's made a recommended tech tree guide? I like to queue up a lot of my research ahead of time, but it seems I wind up having to cancel and redo it. It would be nice if you could just move something up in priority without having to redo the whole lot. Or, I suppose, don't queue up more than one or two things at a time, I guess.

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 135
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/6/2018 2:08:04 AM   
Eambar

Thanks for the guide, really useful. Just made my first jumps with the hyperdrive, quite exciting to see the explorers twinkling out and then re-appearing, looking at the new planets they've found. Now really getting into the design aspect of the various classes of ships..it's a game unto itself!

Cheers,

(in reply to Worldtraveller)
Post #: 136
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/6/2018 8:19:37 PM   
OJsDad

quote:

Only area where Stellaris has DWU beat? Graphics.

And ship combat.
And research.

(in reply to Timotheus)
Post #: 137
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/18/2018 12:25:52 AM   
MaGicBush

Great guide! I am on my second attempt at getting into this game as I didn't have time when I bought it like I thought I would. I did have to restart once because on your settings the pirates kept attacking my homeworlds starport and destroyed it along with my leader even though I was paying them(why?). I restarted and lowered the pirate settings and it worked out much better this time :). I also noticed at one part when designing the construction ship the numbers do not match up with what your explaining at all. You say,
quote:

"Add Ion Thrusters. At 17 Cruise speed, red warnings of habs and life needed will come on. Add one Hab and one Life.

Keep adding Ion thrusters until you get the now familiar red Hab and Life warnings again.

Ok, if you were paying attention to the speed, you have noticed that adding an extra Ion Thrust engine at 24 Cruise Speed and doing it again kept the Cruise speed stuck at 25. I.e. it had no effect on speed!

So 21 Ion thrusters results in 25 Cruise speed, and 22 Ion Thrusters results in... 25 Cruise speed (and more energy - gasoline - cost!).

So lets stick with 21 Ion Thrusters on this bad boy and hit "SAVE".

However in my game at 11 ion thrusters the cruise speed maxes at 14, and starts to lower as I add more Ion thrusters past 11 of them. Some of the other designs matched up with your numbers, but others didn't either like when making the military vehicle the max hyper speed is capped at 12,500 on my game but you say it should be 18,150. I am guessing it is just a bit out dated or am I doing something wrong? I was a bit confused and just left it at 11 thrusters and 14 cruise speed on the construction ship and compromised on other stuff. I will await Part 3(though at this point I doubt it will come seeing when this guide was made lol).

You also mentioned at one point to add labs to the cruise ship, but I am thinking that is a typo? You add research labs to your military ships? Sorry if any of this has been talked about I have not read through any of the 5 pages.

< Message edited by MaGicBush -- 3/18/2018 3:12:56 AM >

(in reply to OJsDad)
Post #: 138
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/18/2018 7:44:56 AM   
Bingeling

The size of the ship influences speed, so if you have some component more or less, you will have somewhat different results.

If you look at the hyperdrive component, you see its max speed. It also has a power requirement, and if you lack power, you will get less max speed. In the early game, you will typically need two reactors to get max hyperdrive speed. And adding another reactor will make the ship larger/heaver, so you lose some speed overall...

Labs only make sense on stations.

(in reply to MaGicBush)
Post #: 139
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 3/18/2018 11:49:28 PM   
MaGicBush

Thanks Bingeling. I realized after finishing part two he explains the two power reactors needed to max out warp speed so I spoke a bit soon on that one. The lab thing I found weird though, and figured they don't belong on ships so I am guessing he misspoke.

< Message edited by MaGicBush -- 3/18/2018 11:51:32 PM >

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 140
RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Man... - 5/3/2019 5:48:03 PM   
chaosegg

Still playing Shadows myself. This guide seems reasonably accurate aside from a bit of detail in the numbers during ship design.

Q: Does this guide work for use in DW: Universe?

I may get Distant Worlds Universe someday, for less than fifteen dollars, maybe.
I missed using my discount coupon, for my having purchased the four previous DW games (for full price totaling over a hundred dollars, I might add),
by about 1 month, maybe less... and on general principle I can not bring myself to pay sixty or fifty-five dollars for Universe when I have already bought most of what Universe is. grumpyface

Anyway,

Thanks again for writing this guide!

P.S.
For other efficiency neckbeards like myself you may want to add or add a link to some ship design component info,
as georgioz hints at on page two, post fourty four
(or click on georgioz profile and his first post RE Thanks)

Modify, upgrade, build, or destroy;
in the end 'what' must follow 'why',
and if you have no answer for 'why',
then "to reduce suffering" is a good start.

(in reply to MaGicBush)
Post #: 141
RE: Thanks - 3/6/2020 2:14:27 PM   
derbius

This is terrific. Are you still in the market for update tips? A few small things have changed since you wrote it and as I am starting from scratch I am noticing them.

(in reply to Bingeling)
Post #: 142
RE: Thanks - 12/6/2021 12:32:25 PM   
stranger46

The end of 2021, still the best guide out there :)

Thank you man!

PS : I hope you'll do one for DW 2

(in reply to derbius)
Post #: 143
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> RE: The New Guy Newbie Guide to Fully Non Automatic Manual Play - Distant Worlds, The Manly Man Way to P Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 4 [5]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI