Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Interesting poll BBC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Interesting poll BBC Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/1/2014 10:17:06 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: DerTroof

Here's a 27 year-old American who grew up a few towns from where I live.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2013/12/31/marine-sgt-daniel-vasselian-returned-hometown-abington-for-burial/l649BgcC9bLHvFxAgQrbqK/story.html

No mention of his taste in pajamas, sorry.

Such a shame and waste. Thanks for the story.

**Those who rob Peter to pay Paul can always count on the support of Paul
**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to DerTroof)
Post #: 31
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/1/2014 10:29:33 PM   
Fred Sanford

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 32
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/1/2014 10:49:04 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

**A government big enough to give you everything you want is a government big enough to take from you everything you have-Gerald Ford

(in reply to Fred Sanford)
Post #: 33
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 1:51:44 AM   
gradenko2k

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

Post #: 34
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 2:39:31 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

Those two have a lot in common.

< Message edited by Missouri_Rebel -- 1/2/2014 3:40:26 AM >

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 35
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 4:41:10 AM   
GaryChildress

I can understand how people get worked up over political issues. I get pretty worked up myself sometimes. I'm sure people will still rise to their times, pajamas or not. You do what you have to do when called upon. I think there can be more sophisticated political discussion than all the mud throwing and stereotyping that often goes on. Whether it's making fun of someone in PJs or accusing someone of being a fascist. There are more effective ways of having a political debate.

As far as the polls that got all this started, it is pretty sobering to me, as an American, that many people around the world seem to view the US as the main threat to world peace, at least according to this poll. All the insults in the world are not going to change that perception I think. Maybe it's time to pause and wonder why so many view the US as a threat? Whether its sending B-52s to fly over contested waters in Asia or sending drones to assassinate terrorists, the US seems to be in the thick of things a lot lately. I'm not sure if that is a good sign or bad one?

To all those out there who DO think the US may be the number one threat to world peace I invite a sensible discussion of the reasons for this perception. Is the US more of a threat than, say, North Korea or Iran? Is it perhaps the case that countries like North Korea or Iran seem to have so little difficulty in yanking our chain, getting a reaction out of us? All they have to do is rattle a sabre and the US comes flocking to the scene ready for the challenge? What would be a more constructive way of dealing with North Korea or Iran, for example? Would it be better to ignore them like most of the rest of the world does? And by ignore I don't mean ignore them if they do start a conflict but ignore all the childish rants and ploys for attention that we constantly get. Aren't there more noble things to pursue in the world, such as eliminating hunger and disease? Must every noble act involve taking on monsters and destroying them? Are noble people only those who carry weapons and march into the face of danger or are there other ways of being noble?

Is a person nothing until they have marched into battle? If so then it is no wonder that some look for every opportunity to do so. We all want to achieve some sort of personal excellence. I hope there are alternative ways of achieving it. If not then there will only be more wars and fighting and everyone will have an opportunity to be "great" up until the human species becomes extinct.

Post #: 36
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 6:43:23 AM   
Boomer78

I've debated getting into this thread as most topical threads I dip my toe into get locked.

But I'll say this. I think we're rallying around the wrong flags these days, and we're spending too much time letting other entities (media corporations, special interests, etc) tell us which flags should be our battle cry. I don't agree at all with establishment liberalism. Having said that, I also do not care to have the Duck Dynasty goofballs as my shining warriors, fighting the good moral fight against social decay. I think marijuana should be decriminalized, but I also do not want stoner campus hippies rubbing elbows with me at protests either. I could go on and on with that point, but to sum up, I think we're allowing ourselves and our own views to be too easily stratified by those who wish to see us divided and bickering. Somehow we've allowed the men and women who rule the world to turn our attempts at solutions into the rhetorical equivalent of pro football.

Too often America gets put in the spotlight and all of its warts and problems gets highlighted in order for various cultures around the world to feel good about themselves in making fun of it... often while waist deep in their own corruption and decay. But it's also easier to put others down as a way of making your own defense. America has a lot of problems, some of which I refuse to defend or stand behind. America was known as one of the good guys, one of the last real bastions of freedom in the world. We now export drones, high taxes, destructive social culture and warrantless wiretapping. Some use these as dividing lines with which to spur endless conflict. America is a great nation, but it's a nation on the decline that will follow its Roman example if it doesn't get its collective head out of its four points of contact. That fact doesn't preclude the proof of other nations also suffering from the same ills. I find it amusing that we live in an age that criticizes nationalism or individualism, while at the same time we use those tribal instincts to bash each other and find entertainment in the suffering of others.

So screw Europe. Screw America. Screw CNN. Screw Fox news. Screw Bush. Screw Obama. Screw drugs. Screw drug laws. Screw gun owners. Screw gun control. Screw it all and let the hammer sort it out.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 37
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 7:12:44 AM   
Missouri_Rebel

My original post was off base and had nothing to do with the topic at hand. Time I banned myself for a couple weeks or so.

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 38
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 12:22:39 PM   
Gilmer

Reporter: "Ringo, are you a mod or a rocker?"
Ringo: "I'm a mocker!"

How can you not like a country that produced Ringo Starr? (And this is not an insult. I really like ole Ringo.)

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Post #: 39
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 12:24:40 PM   
Gilmer

You Brits can help me with this quote....

After beating England in soccer (football), the PM of West Germany said to Margaret Thatcher, "We just beat you at your national sport."
To which Thatcher replied, "We've beaten you at your national sport twice this century."

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 40
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 12:26:37 PM   
TulliusDetritus

I don't think that poll is weIrd (if anything, I'm surprised people might want to emigrate to Saudi Arabia: they should pay me big big big money to live there; and chances are I would refuse the offers: even the ones I can't refuse LOL). People would like to go where they think they can have a decent new life.

As for the threats, people simply think: hegemonic powers = major threat. That's all. You can't avoid this equation Also note China is there on the top. 20 and 30 years ago they would not have made it methinks. But now they are becoming an hegemonic power. Ergo... I mean, it's just business, nothing personal

a nu cheeki breeki iv damke

Post #: 41
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 12:33:50 PM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

After beating England in soccer (football), the PM of West Germany said to Margaret Thatcher, "We just beat you at your national sport."
To which Thatcher replied, "We've beaten you at your national sport twice this century."
warspite1

What was the source of that quote. I would be very surprised if Lady T said that.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 42
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 1:43:34 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

warspite1

What was the source of that quote. I would be very surprised if Lady T said that.

Good question. No source. Except this:

"The classic, churlish English rejoinder to such reverses is to recall that Britain (with some help from others) defeated Germany in both the First and Second World Wars. I did some research on the origins of this famous quote which has been attributed to a variety of individuals, including Margaret Thatcher. According to the London Independent, it seems to have been penned by a sports reporter (now deceased) named Frank McGhee who wrote on the eve of the 1966 World Cup final, "If, on the morrow, the Germans beat us at our national game, we'd do well to remember that, twice this century, we have beaten them at theirs." (Incidentally, I could find no evidence for the Thatcher attribution but I'm willing to be corrected.)"

Source

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 43
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 2:00:09 PM   
Orm

I find that quote rude, inflammatory and political and it should not, in my humble opinion, be posted here even as a joke.

Besides, looking at a list of the wars that Germany has been involved with makes me doubt that fighting wars is a German national sport.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_Germany

I suspect this thread will be locked in a close future.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 44
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 2:50:49 PM   
gradenko2k

There's also the one about the old British Airways pilot who was having trouble taxiing to the correct runway at Hamburg International Airport. The irritated ground controller asks him if he's ever been to Hamburg before and he says "yes, but that was decades ago, it was at night, and I did not land"

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 45
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 3:49:13 PM   
vonRocko

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

Besides, looking at a list of the wars that Germany has been involved with makes me doubt that fighting wars is a German national sport.

18 wars in their 140 years of existence,including the 2 biggest ever, sounds like a "national pastime" to me.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 46
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 3:58:22 PM   
TulliusDetritus

quote:

ORIGINAL: vonRocko

quote:

18 wars in their 140 years of existence,including the 2 biggest ever, sounds like a "national pastime" to me.

Do me a favour, do check in how many wars the British Empire and France (you have to take big boys, like Germany) were involved during that same period You will notice the French and British empires were quite busy fighting colonial so-called rebels These *skirmishes* alone should give you minimum some dozens of wars

After all, according to the Wikipedia the Beer Putsch is one of those wars (I knew wikipedia was ridiculous but this I did not expect it )

< Message edited by TulliusDetritus -- 1/2/2014 4:59:46 PM >

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 47
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 4:17:23 PM   
vonRocko

Yes,of course, Germany has no monopoly on wars. It is a favored "human pastime".

< Message edited by vonRocko -- 1/2/2014 5:17:49 PM >

(in reply to TulliusDetritus)
Post #: 48
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 4:34:47 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

Some of those wars would by many not be considered wars at all. Two of them involve East Germany. And three of them is because of NATO and US called.

During the same time Great Britain has been in 47. I would say that is a bit more than 18 but I would never say that wars are a national sport to the British! I would find that insulting to say the least so why is it ok so say that of Germany?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_involving_the_United_Kingdom

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 49
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 4:36:22 PM   
Orm

quote:

Yes,of course, Germany has no monopoly on wars. It is a favored "human pastime".

Yes. Sad is it. But, hopefully, we go towards a brighter future.

(in reply to vonRocko)
Post #: 50
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/2/2014 8:59:32 PM   
gradenko2k

More to the point, a list of countries that the United Kingdom has never invaded, in white:

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 51
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 12:57:14 AM   
undercovergeek

we didnt 'invade' australia and New Zealand - we found them!

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 52
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 1:18:38 AM   
Otto von Blotto

quote:

we didnt 'invade' australia and New Zealand - we found them!

To the indigenous peoples that were already there they were not lost.

Maybe not invasions as such but we have fought wars and battles on that soil.
http://www.newzealandwars.co.nz/
http://www.hawkesburyhistory.net.au/articles/Battle_of_Vinegar.html

"Personal isn't the same as important"

(in reply to undercovergeek)
Post #: 53
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 5:45:16 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: gradenko_2000

More to the point, a list of countries that the United Kingdom has never invaded, in white:

warspite1

What point is that then? BTW do you really believe that picture?

Of those that have been "invaded" and not made up, how many are actual invasions in the true sense? How many are the result of the fact that the UK was at war with those countries or their ruling power - and not necessarily the aggressors? How many invasions were as a result of the French or the Dutch or the Portugese or the Spanish or the Germans etc etc having got there first?

You see one of the problems that UK haters cannot get their tiny minds around is that the UK was not more aggressive or worse than any other imperialist country (quite the reverse in fact) the point was though, the UK was more successful at it*. To name a few, was the UK the first in India? in the USA? in Canada? in South Africa? in large parts of the Caribbean? Who got to South America? to Indonesia? to other parts of Asia? Well if the UK was not there first (or at all) then someone else was being aggressive no? Well yes of course, but let's bury that under the carpet and blame it all on the imperialist British

* By the standards of today of course, being successful at conquering another's territory is hardly something to write home about...

< Message edited by warspite1 -- 1/3/2014 6:46:17 AM >

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to gradenko2k)
Post #: 54
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 8:49:51 AM   
JudgeDredd

mmm...all this dick waving is making me rather nauseous

These boards have gone right down hill the last couple of years and there are a few regular culprits bringing out the hatchets every now and again. Very insular perspective.

And of course the "non political" political thread that ends up in the same sorry state as every other one when you all know you should just stfu and move on because you can't be talking politics here. But no - you can't have anyone person firing a shot across your bow without firing a salvo back. God forbid someone gets more of a say than yourself.

Of course I wait with baited breath at the tirade heading straight in my direction because I dared to mention you lot are acting like a bunch of kids - but continue, please.

I'll hang myself - save you lot the bother

Alba gu' brath

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 55
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 10:07:36 AM   
KG Erwin

Look, I'll just say this to the OP: if I was a moderator, you would get an immediate two-week ban just for starting a blatantly political post.

C'mon, guys, you really should know better.

Post #: 56
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 10:43:52 AM   
Terl

I think it has survived only due to Matrix staff being on Holiday break.

You are very right Judge, the board is very tedious lately. I rarely stop by now.

I figure pretty soon some fool will come through and again blame the Illuminati....a very tiresome thing and one I rarely see now thanks to green dot

< Message edited by Terl -- 1/3/2014 11:44:23 AM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 57
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 11:29:58 AM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Look, I'll just say this to the OP: if I was a moderator, you would get an immediate two-week ban just for starting a blatantly political post.

C'mon, guys, you really should know better.

Whats political?Its funny and ironic that the majority want to immigrate to a country they also feel is the biggest threat to world peace.Nothing political about that.More an interesting take on how modern humans think and make decisions.

< Message edited by bairdlander -- 1/3/2014 12:51:22 PM >

(in reply to KG Erwin)
Post #: 58
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 11:38:30 AM   
Hotschi

quote:

...a country they also feel is the biggest threat to world peace.

THAT's political, and you know it yourself very well I'd say. With this part of your post you were baiting for comments. It's the usual way how trolls act - throw in a link, add a comment and see what happens.

< Message edited by Hotschi -- 1/3/2014 12:39:16 PM >

"A big butcher's bill is not necessarily evidence of good tactics"

- Wavell's reply to Churchill, after the latter complained about faint-heartedness, as he discovered that British casualties in the evacuation from Somaliland had been only 260 men.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 59
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 11:47:42 AM   
bairdlander2

I would respond to you but I go by the old adage "dont feed the trolls"

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Interesting poll BBC Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI