Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Interesting poll BBC

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Interesting poll BBC Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 11:49:32 AM   
Gilmer

Well, I'm truly sorry that I quoted something that wasn't a real quote and truly did not mean to start an argument. At least the Ringo quote was real!!

I like Germany, too. I like all countries. I did not mean to insult Germany but thought it was a funny quote. Apologies all around. Anyone want a beer?

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

(in reply to Hotschi)
Post #: 61
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 12:07:06 PM   
Fred Sanford

Things I've learned in this thread:
1. Pajamas are a Communist (or is it Fascist?) plot. Libertarians sleep naked.
2. The Beatles were really, really popular. Except in isolated countries in central Asia and western Africa.

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 62
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 12:26:56 PM   
bairdlander2

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fred Sanford

2. The Beatles were really, really popular. Except in isolated countries in central Asia and western Africa.

Exactly,I dont know whats with all the catatonic rage,pictures of a nerd in pj's and all the other crazy stuff posted,maybe everyone who posted was drunk it was New Years eve

(in reply to Fred Sanford)
Post #: 63
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 12:51:20 PM   
Terl

quote:

ORIGINAL: bairdlander

quote:

ORIGINAL: Fred Sanford

Exactly,I dont know whats with all the catatonic rage,pictures of a nerd in pj's and all the other crazy stuff posted,maybe everyone who posted was drunk it was New Years eve

I found the poll interesting bairdlander. It just proved to be fodder to many to take the thread to extremes.

(in reply to bairdlander2)
Post #: 64
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 1:17:18 PM   
GaryChildress

I agree, the poll was an interesting find. I wish Matrix would create a special forum on its own, maybe under the "General Discussion" section, just for political discussion, maybe ask for a couple volunteer moderators to step up and watch over the discussions and clamp down on inflammatory remarks. That's what they do over at the CivFanatics forums and it seems to work pretty darn well. People get to talk and express themselves a little more. It's actually pretty fun and interesting to exchange political views in a sensible manner.

(in reply to Terl)
Post #: 65
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 2:01:48 PM   
Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

I agree, the poll was an interesting find. I wish Matrix would create a special forum on its own, maybe under the "General Discussion" section, just for political discussion, maybe ask for a couple volunteer moderators to step up and watch over the discussions and clamp down on inflammatory remarks. That's what they do over at the CivFanatics forums and it seems to work pretty darn well. People get to talk and express themselves a little more. It's actually pretty fun and interesting to exchange political views in a sensible manner.

They actually had just such a forum years ago. It was such a battleground that they eventually outsourced it somewhere. I don't remember where it went.

It had a warning: "Enter at your own risk!"

< Message edited by Curtis Lemay -- 1/3/2014 3:03:23 PM >

(in reply to GaryChildress)
Post #: 66
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 2:41:14 PM   
vonRocko

Lighten up people. Anyone taking offense or getting nauseous over this silly thread are as spineless as a jellyfish. Thanks to Judge, who never misses a chance to put down these forums.

Post #: 67
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 3:20:52 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

Well, I'm truly sorry that I quoted something that wasn't a real quote and truly did not mean to start an argument. At least the Ringo quote was real!!

I like Germany, too. I like all countries. I did not mean to insult Germany but thought it was a funny quote. Apologies all around. Anyone want a beer?

I am sorry that I overreacted.

It was not my intention to start another round of 'fencing'.

I would love to have a beer. What sort do you prefer? I am buying the first round.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to Gilmer)
Post #: 68
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 3:41:59 PM   
Missouri_Rebel

The thread was created like quite a few that bairlander has started. Take a hot toppic and one that vaguely supports some of his thinking (as evident in other threads/posts he has participated in) and add an innocent commentary.

I could have chose to ignore it and in hindsight I should have. For some stupid reason I threw up some pics that were completely unwarranted. Gradenko replied with his opinion to those pics as a counterpoint. Looking back he is correct in some aspects. I have no idea of the typre of man in that old picture or where he stood. The fact that he was there to serve my country so I could spout off at the keyboard is a very valid point. It is disingenuous to assume that he would not do his duty and 'rise to their times' as Gary has stated.

I added fuel to the fire with follow up posts that most certainly didn't help the situation.

To Boomer. It was your post that made me step back and reevaluate the situation. You are 100% right. I mean completely. Ive been guilty of everything you say is wrong with the political climate in this country. While I march to a different drum and often admit hypocrisies on all sides, ive succumbed to what you call tribal instincts and one of the worst offenders. I didn't realize it up until now. Your post has had a very profound effect. It was filled with a wisdom that far surpasses your years. If I have upset you I am truly sorry because to me, you are one of the most insightful people I have ever had the pleasure to communicate with. Your last line in your post was extremely eye opening. The hammer will sort it out if we don't find a way to move forward. And for this I will reevaluate things. Thank you.

What else can a man do but admit he was wrong and that is why I logged back in. I vow to never go down this road again here. I'm going to take a break like I said I would and realize that the reason I first came here was to discuss a passion we all can agree on; wargaming fun.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 69
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 3:50:22 PM   
Fred Sanford

Speaking of beer, back when I was a drinker, around the 2004 elections, I was hanging out in my regular bar one night. There was a rather loud political debate going on, and I was one of the more active participants. My buddy Kenny was the bartender, and the bar was a U-shaped setup, so poor Kenny was stuck in the middle and getting it from all directions. Finally he gets fed up, and shouts, "ENOUGH! No gambling, No religion, and No politics at the bar! Everyone stop!" There's silence for a few seconds, then I loudly say "I'll bet anyone here 50 bucks that Jesus would vote for George W. Bush!"*

Kenny was not happy with me.

*for the record, the statement I made was strictly for comedy purposes, and may or may not reflect my true views. Not saying.

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 70
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 4:03:33 PM   
Boomer78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Missouri_Rebel

The thread was created like quite a few that bairlander has started. Take a hot toppic and one that vaguely supports some of his thinking (as evident in other threads/posts he has participated in) and add an innocent commentary.

I could have chose to ignore it and in hindsight I should have. For some stupid reason I threw up some pics that were completely unwarranted. Gradenko replied with his opinion to those pics as a counterpoint. Looking back he is correct in some aspects. I have no idea of the typre of man in that old picture or where he stood. The fact that he was there to serve my country so I could spout off at the keyboard is a very valid point. It is disingenuous to assume that he would not do his duty and 'rise to their times' as Gary has stated.

I added fuel to the fire with follow up posts that most certainly didn't help the situation.

To Boomer. It was your post that made me step back and reevaluate the situation. You are 100% right. I mean completely. Ive been guilty of everything you say is wrong with the political climate in this country. While I march to a different drum and often admit hypocrisies on all sides, ive succumbed to what you call tribal instincts and one of the worst offenders. I didn't realize it up until now. Your post has had a very profound effect. It was filled with a wisdom that far surpasses your years. If I have upset you I am truly sorry because to me, you are one of the most insightful people I have ever had the pleasure to communicate with. Your last line in your post was extremely eye opening. The hammer will sort it out if we don't find a way to move forward. And for this I will reevaluate things. Thank you.

What else can a man do but admit he was wrong and that is why I logged back in. I vow to never go down this road again here. I'm going to take a break like I said I would and realize that the reason I first came here was to discuss a passion we all can agree on; wargaming fun.

No Reb, I wasn't offended. I cannot be offended... only offensive, occasionally.

We're often myopic in our views and the various cheerleader cults that spring up in any society tends to put blinders on those who would otherwise consider themselves open minded. I've seen that narrow minded attitude from every type of person there is. Perhaps that is one of the few things we all do have in common. I'm just tired of being put in a box and told that there's a prefabricated, prepackaged group/flag/idea/lobbying group ready to assist me in my desire to club those that I find different or disagreeable. Words only matter in context and perception, and that's what's great about exchanging words and ideas. It's kind of like the first day of school or maybe boot camp. At first you're going to not know anyone, be yelled at, and be treated like an idiot who couldn't find his ass if it was stapled to his head. A few months later and you're chiseled out of wood and ready to spit nails and chew broken glass. It's the conditioning of ideas and the exchange of learning and experience that toughens us to survive in a world that frankly doesn't care if we exist or not.

The tit for tat game over immigration, national identity, etc... that's all well and good and I wouldn't knock anyone for having local or national pride. I just think that we're living in an age when nationalism is really only used to divide people and make them think there's some semblance of sovereignty left to this planet. Again, a facade. One that needs to be reckoned with and dealt with honestly and without presumption or pretense. We're being lied to by every single person that wears a suit and smiles too much. It's time we saw the Emperor for who he is... a naked fool.

And I second any proposal to get a private political forum going. I'm not sure how much I'd contribute, but I'd certainly enjoy seeing the true opinions of my fellow posters here, unrestricted by the tighter posting rules that the general forum has.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to Missouri_Rebel)
Post #: 71
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 4:40:05 PM   
gradenko2k

It's been my experience that a "politics discussion area" whether in a forum, Facebook, etc., tends to turn eventually into an ideological hugbox and echo chamber for whichever group has more persistent and numerous members, mainly due to the complete and utter lack of accountability when it comes to discussing such things on the internet coupled with how easy it is to parrot fact-impervious talking points.

(in reply to Boomer78)
Post #: 72
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 5:32:54 PM   
Otto von Blotto

quote:

Sorry I don't get that, for me it was just a poll, compiled by a statistical organisation that was reported by a reporting organisation (whether we believe it or not is neither here or there), If anyone should give it any credence is down to that individual or anyone who reads what they want into it, it's is their interpretation and normally nothing to do with the raw data. we all see what we want to see as this thread has I think adequately shown.

< Message edited by Otto von Blotto -- 1/3/2014 6:34:38 PM >

"Personal isn't the same as important"

Post #: 73
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 5:41:41 PM   
Boomer78

quote:

ORIGINAL: Otto von Blotto

quote:

Sorry I don't get that, for me it was just a poll, compiled by a statistical organisation that was reported by a reporting organisation (whether we believe it or not is neither here or there), If anyone should give it any credence is down to that individual or anyone who reads what they want into it, it's is their interpretation and normally nothing to do with the raw data. we all see what we want to see as this thread has I think adequately shown.

Meta, man. It's all about the meta thinking. Helps keep the boots free of mud and the mind free to soar.

And beer. Beer helps, too.

"Fly, god dammit it fly! God damn cheap Japanese flying packs!"

(in reply to Otto von Blotto)
Post #: 74
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/3/2014 6:32:11 PM   
jwarrenw13

quote:

For some stupid reason I threw up some pics that were completely unwarranted.

The pictures were the best part of the thread, which should have probably been locked a couple of days ago. Pajamaboy is a powerful visual metaphor.

Post #: 75
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/4/2014 12:40:06 AM   
GaryChildress

quote:

ORIGINAL: Curtis Lemay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gary Childress

They actually had just such a forum years ago. It was such a battleground that they eventually outsourced it somewhere. I don't remember where it went.

It had a warning: "Enter at your own risk!"

Are you referring to the Mad Cow Steakhouse? That's been defunct for a while now, though there's still the Mad Dog Drive Thru.

(in reply to Curtis Lemay)
Post #: 76
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/4/2014 2:33:42 AM   
Gilmer

Now that we all agree that Kate Beckinsale is the most beautiful woman in the world....

And that Jessica Alba is 1st runnerup.....

[image][/image]

we can all be friends again.

"Venimus, vidimus, Deus vicit" John III Sobieski as he entered Vienna on 9/11/1683. "I came, I saw, God conquered."
He that has a mind to fight, let him fight, for now is the time. - Anacreon

Post #: 77
RE: Interesting poll BBC - 1/6/2014 1:17:21 AM   
PipFromSlitherine

quote:

ORIGINAL: JW

quote:

For some stupid reason I threw up some pics that were completely unwarranted.

The pictures were the best part of the thread, which should have probably been locked a couple of days ago. Pajamaboy is a powerful visual metaphor.

Sorry! I saw it's trajectory early on and meant to come back and lock, errr, check on it. But still out of the office. Glad that Kate sorted it all out!

Cheers

Pip

follow me on Twitter here

(in reply to jwarrenw13)
Post #: 78
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> RE: Interesting poll BBC Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI