Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter colors

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter colors Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/25/2014 6:39:01 AM   
Jafele

Interesting

(in reply to IronMikeGolf)
Post #: 91
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/25/2014 6:49:41 PM   
DoubleDeuce

Hmm, I just noticed the river names missing as well. Would be nice to have . . just saying.

Post #: 92
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/25/2014 11:13:56 PM   
Mad Russian

Hey.... I named the major rivers.

Good Hunting.

MR

The most expensive thing in the world is free time.

Founder of HSG scenario design group for Combat Mission.
Panzer Command Ostfront Development Team.
Flashpoint Campaigns: Red Storm Development Team.

(in reply to DoubleDeuce)
Post #: 93
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/25/2014 11:48:32 PM   
DoubleDeuce

LOL, Looks like I've been playing with modded maps for so long I thought that even the minors rives were named and the modder's just left them out.

(in reply to Mad Russian)
Post #: 94
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/26/2014 8:18:57 PM   
WildCatNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iron Mike Golf
Oh, that's great. Now we need....river names. Just kidding.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce
Hmm, I just noticed the river names missing as well. Would be nice to have . . just saying.

I've just updated all maps with the new map margins. It may take a while for the downloads to work fine.

In the downloads, map CA 1 Red Storm features stream labels to get your feedback. This should also make you guys run out of luck... So if your FASCAM doesn't take stop hostile armor, or if your AA isn't capable of taking out these Hinds in your next games, you know why : )

William

Attachment (1)

William
On Target Simulations LLC

Post #: 95
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/27/2014 3:18:43 AM   
demiller

Wow, what you've done with the map margins is the icing on the cake for me! The style of these, looking so much like a military map, is exactly what I'm after for this game. If at some point you decide to add some subtle topo lines to your elevations you'll make me a happy gamer.

Very nicely done.

AKA panzerde

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 96
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 6/28/2014 2:50:41 AM   
IronMikeGolf

You're a hero, W1ll14m!

(in reply to demiller)
Post #: 97
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 7/3/2014 12:29:52 AM   
DoubleDeuce

Any update on the desert maps?

Post #: 98
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 7/10/2014 9:01:49 PM   
WildCatNL

I've updated the map packs as follows:
- all 27 maps now feature labeled streams, making it easier to define and memorize your battle plans, or write easy to understand AARs (see Iron Mike Golf's AARs in the After Action Report subforum).
- the 'printer-friendly' maps have been updated with the urban perimeter blocks (and labeled streams).

@Labeled streams:
Pretty much all streams have been labeled. Those streams without labels most likely represent ditches without a name on Google maps. In rare cases, the stream didn't receive a label because its game map position didn't match a single stream on the actual terrain data.

Mad Russian has done a tremendous job creating the German terrain as hex maps in the game. The streams are hardest to get right since they cannot go anywhere but between hexes; whereas houses and trees can be painted freely on hexes, streams cannot. Nevertheless, the process of finding a matching stream on Google maps for each stream on the hex maps has been straightforward.

@Printer friendly maps
I'm really happy to see these maps being used in AARs (such as Waltz of the Eaglehorse and Hunting Bears The Battle for Buchholz).

I did have another look at elevation lines. For the type of maps we (stacks of pancakes with cut-outs, with all steps having similar inclines), I cannot come up with an automatic way of adding elevation and elevation lines that will look "natural". Perhaps The Plodder can.

The next step for me is updating the maps for 2.04 (hopefully including one or more re-makes of the Flashpoint Germany maps). Afterwards, I'll dive into my NTC map again.

William

Attachment (1)

William

Post #: 99
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 7/11/2014 1:21:08 AM   
demiller

Thanks so much W1ll14m! These maps just keep getting better. The planning maps are really essential for me these days. I really appreciate your great work here.

AKA panzerde

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 100
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 7/11/2014 2:14:22 AM   
Killjoy12

These just keep getting better and better!

(in reply to demiller)
Post #: 101
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 7/11/2014 7:49:00 AM   
DoubleDeuce

Nice. Thanks for the update William.

(in reply to Killjoy12)
Post #: 102
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 7/22/2014 7:17:40 AM   
MirabelleBenou

Very very nice maps. Thanks for your hard work !

Post #: 103
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 7/22/2014 8:49:11 PM   
Werewolf13

One wonders...

What happens when 2.04 is released. Will we have to reinstall these great maps or does 2.04 include them????

Freedom is not free! Nor should it be. For men being men will neither fight for nor value that which is free.

Michael Andress

(in reply to MirabelleBenou)
Post #: 104
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 7/22/2014 9:23:31 PM   
CapnDarwin

No custom maps in 2.04. We have added a Custom folder to both the maps and map markers folders that you can place custom maps in and they will load in place of the defaults. This will prevent overwrites in any future update. If you have custom maps I would suggest moving them over to a separate folder before installing 2.04 and then copy your custom maps into the new Custom folder.

OTS is looking forward to Southern Storm getting released!

Cap'n Darwin aka Jim Snyder

(in reply to Werewolf13)
Post #: 105
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 7/23/2014 4:12:18 AM   
WABAC

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

No custom maps in 2.04. We have added a Custom folder to both the maps and map markers folders that you can place custom maps in and they will load in place of the defaults. This will prevent overwrites in any future update. If you have custom maps I would suggest moving them over to a separate folder before installing 2.04 and then copy your custom maps into the new Custom folder.

I think that is a very fair solution. I appreciate the constraints on the design team. And I appreciate the things you are doing to accommodate your community of modders -- may it grow, prosper, and purchase all future updates.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 106
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/2/2014 10:29:11 PM   
WildCatNL

(Following up on Takoda's suggestion, as made in the NTC Central Corridor map thread):
quote:

ORIGINAL: TAKODA
Is it possible to pull and stretch a map picture (for example the random map picture below) with image software to suit the hexes? What I mean is can a picture like this be pushed and pulled to suit the hex tiles?

No, and yes. Great suggestion. Bear with me.

No, you cannot take a (topo) map picture (or satellite picture) and expect it to still look good after you deform it to match all the different 500m movements that towns, river bends and hill tops make as part of the map design. The warping can get quite severe in spots, and you'll be bending map labels in ways that look bad. See the picture below, left bottom corner, especially the Kleinenbremen town label.

But yes, you can take the idea of warping and apply it to the elevation data. If you're able to define how positions on a satellite map should move to match those on the hex map, you can apply the same warp to elevation data. And from the warped elevation data, it's feasible to compute a new hill shade, and blend this into a hex map, along with its contours.
The right bottom corner shows the recomputed hill shade that is blended into the map above. See how the East-west ridge has nice dips for North-South roads and streams, just like the real thing...

What do you think?
Btw, blending in the hill shade doesn't work well unless the hex map has a lighter-is-higher elevation coding.

William

Attachment (1)

William

(in reply to WABAC)
Post #: 107
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/2/2014 10:35:11 PM   
Plodder

That is genius..

Gen. Montgomery: "Your men don't salute much."
Gen. Freyberg: "Well, if you wave at them they'll usually wave back."

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 108
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/2/2014 11:35:48 PM   
CapnDarwin

That is very cool.

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 109
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/3/2014 3:16:47 AM   
Plodder

William, what programs are you using to manipulate the elevation data and create the hill shading? I'd love to see what I could come up with using this stuff..

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 110
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/3/2014 11:25:29 AM   
TAKODA

W1ll14m that looks fantastic, seriously awesome. I'm excited to see what The Plodder can come up with too, both of you have been creating amazing stuff, please keep up the great work guys.

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 111
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/3/2014 10:21:44 PM   
WildCatNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: The Plodder
William, what programs are you using to manipulate the elevation data and create the hill shading? I'd love to see what I could come up with using this stuff..

I'm using QGis (free, runs on Windows, Linux, probably OSX as well). It can load raster data in most elevation formats, it can load OpenStreetMap vector data, it can show overlay/underlays from Google/Bing/Yahoo tile based map sites, it lines all of this up based on coordinates. It allows you to edit and render the raster and vector data as you see fit.

I've been able to configure it to output maps in FCRS scale (1km per 128 pixel), render vector data in FCRS colors, render elevation data in FCRS colors (after manually defining elevation levels). I've even figured out a way to create hex overlay (for 1:50000 only), which enables me to edit and line up roads and streams better.

However, the tool is quite complex/rich in features and buttons. OpenStreetMap vector data typically is incomplete (missing fields and forests in Germany, missing almost everything for US military bases such as Ft. Irwin, and inconsistent between regions/countries. And the hill shades QGis generates from elevation data aren't too good looking (blurring high res elevation data prior to computing the hill shade probably helps).

And, yes, I'd love to see what you can come up with using this tool too!
If you need a (rough) walk-through how to use QGis, or need something right now for your Berlin, let me know.

William

William

(in reply to Plodder)
Post #: 112
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/4/2014 1:22:57 AM   
Plodder

I'm OK with the Berlin map so far as elevations are concerned as they aren't a huge issue, but for future projects I'll definitely look into using this tool. If it's not too much trouble maybe you can start a tutorial thread on how to get set up with QGis, and what settings to use etc. I'm positive I wouldn't be the only one to appreciate it.

(in reply to WildCatNL)
Post #: 113
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/6/2014 9:50:46 PM   
bootlegger267

Excellent maps!
Thanks for your hard work!

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 114
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/13/2014 9:44:29 AM   
alantaylor

Can I ask two newbie questions (just bought the full version this morning);

1. Can I confirm that non-vanilla maps should now be placed in the custom map folder as Capn Darwin stated above? But if I place another set of maps in there as well, the first set will be overwritten?

2. Are these great maps compatible with the latest version 2.05 at the present time? (I have just updated the main program). Can I use them in their present state?

(in reply to bootlegger267)
Post #: 115
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/13/2014 11:54:16 AM   
CapnDarwin

Alan,

1). You can load ONE set of custom maps in the Custom folder. If you want to use various sets, I would suggest placing them in separate folders either in Maps or Custom and then copy the set you want to use into custom. This way you don't overwrite any files.

2). They should work fine since replacements are just the art over the data. If you get new maps they should be placed in the Maps folder (both PNG and FP9 files).

Hope you enjoy the game and welcome aboard.

(in reply to alantaylor)
Post #: 116
RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter... - 9/13/2014 12:32:17 PM   
alantaylor

Thanks, Jim, glad to be on board.

It was a toss up between FCRS and Command Ops. Very active development and support and the ability for Modding swung me towards FCRS.

(in reply to CapnDarwin)
Post #: 117
An outstanding job - 10/10/2014 5:56:42 PM   
Templer_12

An outstanding job W1ll14m.

I don't want to offend anyone, but the vanilla maps are really ugly and not worthy to the game!

(in reply to alantaylor)
Post #: 118
RE: An outstanding job - 12/30/2014 12:28:55 PM   
Strategicus

One remark, I don't know, if it's from the game itself or just in the maps, but in Germany there are no roads prefixed with a "N", it has to be a "B" which stands for "Bundesstraße". The Prefixes A, K and L are correct (for the most parts of Germany, Bavaria and Saxonia are different )

The maps are looking great!

< Message edited by Strategicus -- 12/30/2014 1:37:00 PM >

(in reply to Templer_12)
Post #: 119
RE: An outstanding job - 12/30/2014 3:13:41 PM   
WildCatNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: Strategicus

One remark, I don't know, if it's from the game itself or just in the maps, but in Germany there are no roads prefixed with a "N", it has to be a "B" which stands for "Bundesstraße". The Prefixes A, K and L are correct (for the most parts of Germany, Bavaria and Saxonia are different )

The maps are looking great!

Hi. Good point. All maps for the next game (2.1 Southern Storm) will have proper Bundesstraße designations for the major roads, and Kreis-specific designations for the minor roads.

William

William

(in reply to Strategicus)
Post #: 120
Page:   <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series >> Mods and Scenarios >> RE: All 27 Red Storm maps re-done, in summer and winter colors Page: <<   < prev  1 2 3 [4] 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI