Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: OT Books

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Books Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: OT Books - 1/28/2014 8:46:35 PM   
John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

A real good series similar to S.E. Morison's, History of the United States Navy in World War II is U.S. Army in World War II. The entire series is on-line. The PDF's are really large. A lot of volumes, very detailed with lots of maps. http://www.history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/collect/usaww2.html

The Army Green Books are marvelous but there is a BUNCH of them. I got the entire set of Morrison and the Green Books from a gentleman who died and his library was posted on the WITP Forum. I jumped at the chance of adding to the library and gained nearly 200 volumes in one fell swoop. Made a donation to his estate and paid for Postage. It was a great deal!

< Message edited by John 3rd -- 1/28/2014 9:47:33 PM >

Member: Treaty, Reluctant Admiral and Between the Storms Mod Team.

Reluctant Admiral Mod:
https://sites.google.com/site/reluctantadmiral/

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 31
RE: OT Books - 1/28/2014 10:06:47 PM   
Schanilec

Image the total cost for everything. I believe the offer Easton Books almost gave me years ago didn't include every volume. I think it was somewhere around twenty plus volumes at around $1,700.00 to $2,600.00 I can't recall now. I'm happy with the 11 volumes I ordered.

This is one Czech that doesn't bounce.

(in reply to jeffk3510)
Post #: 32
RE: OT Books - 1/28/2014 10:11:10 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

ORIGINAL: John 3rd

quote:

ORIGINAL: Schanilec

A real good series similar to S.E. Morison's, History of the United States Navy in World War II is U.S. Army in World War II. The entire series is on-line. The PDF's are really large. A lot of volumes, very detailed with lots of maps. http://www.history.army.mil/html/bookshelves/collect/usaww2.html

The Army Green Books are marvelous but there is a BUNCH of them. I got the entire set of Morrison and the Green Books from a gentleman who died and his library was posted on the WITP Forum. I jumped at the chance of adding to the library and gained nearly 200 volumes in one fell swoop. Made a donation to his estate and paid for Postage. It was a great deal!

WOW DUDE! Don't forget me in the will old boy old pal. Say have you lost weight? I have Morison's at $149.00 through Military Issue a few years back. And what a bargain that was.

(in reply to John 3rd)
Post #: 33
RE: OT Books - 1/29/2014 11:51:10 PM   
rsallen64

I have all of the Morison and some of the green books, but only a paltry sum. I do have the five volume US Marine Corps in WWII set in pristine condition I snagged off eBay a few years back. I would LOVE to get my hands on the Australian War Memorial Volumes for the Pacific sometime. Read some in my college library years ago, and remember them as being fantastic. I know they're available online, but it's not the same. I do have the RAF three volume official history for WWII. Slowly but surely...

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 34
RE: OT Books - 2/1/2014 4:12:31 PM   
Mac Linehan

Gents -

Started "Day of Battle" last night. Loved the concise preface that brings a reader up to speed as of May 1943. Then into Algiers as the Husky story unfolds.

I know it will be good. Read a filler book in between - Robert Conway's "1920: America's Great War". An enjoyable fast read, but am ready to buckle down and get on "Day of Battle".

OOOHRAH!

That's Marine for "Unstoppable Momentum" for you Army and Fly Boy Types... <grin>

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Mac Linehan)
Post #: 35
RE: OT Books - 2/1/2014 5:19:31 PM   
Symon

Love Rick Atkinson. But history is written from the perspective of the writer. Rick has seen the elephant and understands. His contextualizations are perfect, but his contexts could use some informing.

There is no one book that dials it all in. Mr Atkinson suggests that other works should be consulted as background (or foreground) for his conceptual conclusions. I use Carlo D'Este as a tactical sidebar. Met Rick once, we talked about this, and he thought Carlo was perfect for the premise.

When you read history, be aware that writers have agendas. They may be right, they may be wrong, but the good ones will tell you just who wrote something different, and maybe subsume some righteousness from their sources/contemporaries.

I read Rick and Carlo together, day by day. What one misses, the other gathers, and the pairing is much more that the sum of the parts.

Ciao JWE

Nous n'avons pas peur! Vive la liberté! Moi aussi je suis Charlie!
Yippy Ki Yay.

Post #: 36
RE: OT Books - 2/1/2014 5:38:15 PM   
Mac Linehan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Symon

Love Rick Atkinson. But history is written from the perspective of the writer. Rick has seen the elephant and understands. His contextualizations are perfect, but his contexts could use some informing.

There is no one book that dials it all in. Mr Atkinson suggests that other works should be consulted as background (or foreground) for his conceptual conclusions. I use Carlo D'Este as a tactical sidebar. Met Rick once, we talked about this, and he thought Carlo was perfect for the premise.

When you read history, be aware that writers have agendas. They may be right, they may be wrong, but the good ones will tell you just who wrote something different, and maybe subsume some righteousness from their sources/contemporaries.

I read Rick and Carlo together, day by day. What one misses, the other gathers, and the pairing is much more that the sum of the parts.

Ciao JWE

JWE -

Am aware of, and have one or two of Carlo D'Este's books; but have not read any yet. Will have to search my bookshelves.

Thank You for the recommendation. Will check back in as progress is made.

Edit: Checked out Amazon - and added his books to my wish list. Decision in Normandy is unread in my library.

Mac

< Message edited by Mac Linehan -- 2/1/2014 6:51:41 PM >

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 37
RE: OT Books - 2/1/2014 5:40:56 PM   
warspite1

I saw one reference to the Rabaul trilogy. Has anyone else read any of these please and has any opinion - good or bad?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

Post #: 38
RE: OT Books - 2/1/2014 8:36:36 PM   
Chickenboy

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

I saw one reference to the Rabaul trilogy. Has anyone else read any of these please and has any opinion - good or bad?

I've read the second and parts of the first book. Well written and useful insight into an overlooked campaign central to the Allied early war strategy.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 39
RE: OT Books - 2/1/2014 11:34:50 PM   
wolfclan

Watching Book TV today, heard some of the presentation by Eri Hotta about her book: JAPAN 1941: COUNTDOWN TO INFAMY--a book discussing the Japanese perspective in coming to a decision to go to war. What intrigued me was her response to a question from the audience. It was asked whether the U.S./Japanese relations began to break down after the treaty ending the Russo-Japanese war because the Japanese felt Roosevelt had favored the Russians. Her response was, although she knew that theory is popular in the U.S., that she was not aware of it while growing up or during her education in Japan. She understood that the Japanese believed that it was not the fault of Roosevelt, but, that the Japanese diplomats had failed in getting better terms, specifically related to indeminities. She than went on to say that, when the war was starting to bog down in China, that there were political leaders in Japan, who were seriously pursuing having the U.S. mediate between Japan and China in the years before the attack on the US because the US had demonstrated the prestige and influence necessary to reach a conclusion. She than said how this was another case of how seriously the Japanese were misreading the U.S. I've put the book on my Kindle wish list.

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 40
RE: OT Books - 2/2/2014 5:17:04 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

I've read the second and parts of the first book. Well written and useful insight into an overlooked campaign central to the Allied early war strategy.
warspite1

Thanks - I'll give the second part a go once I've cleared some of my backlog. Having read quite a bit on the Guadalcanal campaign, I really would like to get into what came next.

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Chickenboy)
Post #: 41
RE: OT Books - 2/3/2014 1:12:45 PM   
Schanilec

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

warspite1

Thanks - I'll give the second part a go once I've cleared some of my backlog. Having read quite a bit on the Guadalcanal campaign, I really would like to get into what came next.

I have also read 'Fortress Rabaul, I really enjoyed the book. I finished 'Islands of Destiny' during the so called 'Super Bowel' and started 'Target Rabaul' last night. Still waiting for 'Invasion Rabaul'. I Ordered 'Target and Invasion Rabaul' in the middle of January. Got an e-mail today saying they are still waiting for 'Invasion Rabaul' to be released. Odd.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 42
RE: OT Books - 2/3/2014 9:54:10 PM   
rsallen64

Warspite: I have read the first two of the Rabaul trilogy, and and finishing the third. I enjoy them immensely. Gamble is a navy flier himself, which helps with his perspective. He's not fond of MacArthur, and gives great credit to the Aussies in this trilogy (the first book focuses solely on the invasion of the Aussie held Rabaul). Great books.

As for Atkinson and Carlo D'Este, I love them both. I love D'Este's analysis of Normandy and his reevaluation of Monty (he gives him far more credit than most Americans). I loved his book on Anzio, and think it the finest overview and review of the campaign I have ever read, both for analysis and in the trenches viewpoint. His book on Sicily is great as well. I was disappointed when he moved away from campaign analysis to biography (Patton, Eisenhower). I don't know what he's up to lately.

Desert War 1940-1942 Beta Tester
Agressors: Ancient Rome Beta Tester

"The greatest and noblest pleasure which men can have in this world is to discover new truths; and the next is to shake off old prejudices." Frederick the Great

(in reply to Schanilec)
Post #: 43
RE: OT Books - 3/27/2014 4:47:34 AM   
Mac Linehan

Finished "Day of Battle" - the Italian Campaign.

I had no clue as to how difficult, brutal and bloody the entire Sicilian and Italian campaigns were.

My sincere respect to all those involved; they deserve all the recognition that history can give for their courage and perseverance.

Have started the last book of the trilogy; I know it will be good.

My computer internet connection is slow to nonexistent and locks up; so I will keep this short.

All three books are outstanding, the quality persists throughout the trilogy.

Mac

LAV-25 2147

(in reply to Symon)
Post #: 44
RE: OT Books - 3/27/2014 1:37:42 PM   
crsutton

My fifteen minutes of fame. Rick and his dog Kelly hand deliver my autographed copy...

Attachment (1)

I am the Holy Roman Emperor and am above grammar.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

Post #: 45
RE: OT Books - 3/27/2014 1:42:33 PM   
crsutton

I highly recommend his first book, "The Long Gray Line: The American Journey of West Point’s Class of 1966" which is a classic as well. He won his first pulitizer with his series of articles on the West Point Class of 66.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 46
RE: OT Books - 3/27/2014 4:20:08 PM   
pontiouspilot

I have now read 2 of the 3 books in the trilogy based on the recomendation on here. This is an excellent read!! Thanks for the referal guys. Now if only we could get Atkinson to do the same on Pacific Campaign.

A decent book on Pacific I read in last couple years was called Pacific Crucible by a chap called Ian Toll. It deals with '41-perhaps mid'42.

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 47
RE: OT Books - 3/27/2014 7:06:07 PM   
crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

I have now read 2 of the 3 books in the trilogy based on the recomendation on here. This is an excellent read!! Thanks for the referal guys. Now if only we could get Atkinson to do the same on Pacific Campaign.

A decent book on Pacific I read in last couple years was called Pacific Crucible by a chap called Ian Toll. It deals with '41-perhaps mid'42.

His current project is a trilogy on the American Revolution. That should eat up his next decade.

Sigismund of Luxemburg

(in reply to pontiouspilot)
Post #: 48
RE: OT Books - 5/23/2014 12:31:34 AM   
Lokasenna

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

quote:

ORIGINAL: pontiouspilot

His current project is a trilogy on the American Revolution. That should eat up his next decade.

I finished Pacific Crucible some weeks ago. Pretty decent read. I hope this isn't against forum rules...

I need to gain some space in my domicile, and I don't see myself using this book for reference or to re-read, so if anybody here is interested in reading it, let me know. I have a hardcover copy in great shape (like new, except for minor damage to the dust cover) that I paid $10 for. It will cost me about $4 to send via USPS media mail. I'm not asking for any money for it except maybe the cost of shipping - I will send it to a member of the community that wants to read it, but if you want to "donate" to my apartment cleaning fund I will accept . PM me if you want it!

< Message edited by Lokasenna -- 5/23/2014 1:32:24 AM >

(in reply to crsutton)
Post #: 49
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> RE: OT Books Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI