Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: A musical global war AAR...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: A musical global war AAR... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/11/2014 5:11:44 PM   
Centuur

Gibraltar:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 31
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/11/2014 5:15:43 PM   
Centuur

And the UK, together with a NRD, showing some CW ports.

Not visible are the 5 factor FTR's in Dover, A Harrow ATR in Harwich, the INF Div in Glasgow, together with 2 oil.

In India there is one 4-3 INF (which will not leave the country) and an oil point.

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 32
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/11/2014 6:01:09 PM   
Centuur

For France, I have two things to say: "Vive la France" and no Gamelin in this army!

Here is "Ca Fait D'Excellents Francais", sung by Maurice Chevalier and made in 1939:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bknbsY7kj4Y

The scrapping:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 33
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/11/2014 6:03:13 PM   
Centuur

Not visible in the screens are a TERR in Indo China, a TERR in Beirut, together with a 6-4 INF and the TRS and a 3-3 INF in Algiers.

Here is France:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 34
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/11/2014 6:05:35 PM   
Centuur

The problems for the Italians around Ethiopia have increased once again. It appears the Frence also did anticipate on the Italian aggression in that area...

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 35
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/12/2014 2:23:06 PM   
Centuur

The Japanese Empire is next. Here is the Japanese army March: 陸軍分列行進曲

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lmErWkD4RrM

Banzai!

And the scrapping:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 36
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/12/2014 2:24:22 PM   
Centuur

Southern China:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 37
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/12/2014 2:26:07 PM   
Centuur

Central China, the Naval Review Details and the western tip of Japan. Yamamoto is under the TRS west of Fukuoka.

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 38
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/12/2014 2:27:44 PM   
Centuur

And Northern China and Manchuria/Korea. In Harbin there is a 3-3 MIL not shown. Some oil is spread out in Japan itself...

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 39
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/12/2014 3:52:39 PM   
Centuur

German music was of course strictly controlled by the Nazis. A German WW I song became very popular on both sides in WW II and therefore this has to be put in this AAR:

Here is "Lili Marlene" in the original German version...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bUsePoATbrU

Followed by the German scrapping:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 40
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/12/2014 3:55:42 PM   
Centuur

And the German setup. I'm taking some risks here, but if weather holds in S/O 1939 I want to try to get as far as possible against the French. If not, well there are still enough troops at the Polish Border to crush the resistance there. It might take an impulse longer to do this, but hey: time in Poland is on the German side...

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 41
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/12/2014 3:56:29 PM   
Centuur

The air reserve pool:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 42
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/12/2014 3:57:21 PM   
Centuur

The land reserves:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 43
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/13/2014 6:08:53 PM   
Centuur

Now, we're not finished with all the preliminaries, but it takes just a couple of screens until play starts:

This form appears in any turn. The die roll gives the initiative to a side, which can than decide if they want to go first. I usually is good to go first, however, if you choose to many times to go first, initiative will slowly go towards the other side (since moving last in the turn and moving first in the next turn will lower you chanche to win the initiative. So for newbies: if it doesn't matter: don't go first as the Axis. For the first turn, the Axis have the initiative and have to move first, according to the rules. I will only post this form here one time, in further turns I will say who has the initiative and what is chosen (to move or not move first...).

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Centuur -- 1/13/2014 7:12:49 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 44
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/13/2014 6:14:41 PM   
Centuur

And next. The weather report. Nowadays, we can't imagine a news bulletin with the weather report alongside it somewhere, but in WW II the weather report on the news were withdrawn for military reasons...

The better the weather, the better the capabilities of you army, navy and airforce...

Since the Germans waited with the attack on Poland until the weather was fine, the first weather roll is dictated by the rules:

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by Centuur -- 1/13/2014 7:15:48 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 45
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/13/2014 6:33:45 PM   
markb50k

When discussing the initiative bonus and how it moves back and forth between the Axis/Allies...  I believe your statement above was a little off..

From what I read, the bonus moves towards the other side if either happen:

- if one side has the first and last impulse of the SAME turn (slightly different than what you said above)
- if one side demands a reroll.

< Message edited by markb50k -- 1/13/2014 7:34:22 PM >

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 46
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/13/2014 6:43:02 PM   
Centuur

Next comes the DoW by Germany on Poland, followed by the alignment of Poland by the CW. If the CW refuses to do so, Poland capitulates. Not a fine thing to happen, so the CW aligns Poland.

By the way, the US newspapers did made some major contribution to the US gaining one chit. So now there are 3 entry chits for Germany and 1 for Japan in the pools.

The Polish setup is therefore next. But first: Music... First; "all rise for the Polish National Anthem":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fcQI3KIyumo

Followed by a Polish partisan song:

Rozszumiały się wierzby płaczące (The Willows Are Weeping And Rustling) piosenka partyzancka, by Jan Ciżyński & Ork. B-ci Pindrass

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4_p5yTcerUQ

The Polish General Staff, upon hearing the terrible news that Molotov and von Rippentrop signed a pact, were very fast in determining the contents of this pact using their secret service. The government therefore decided, that the Polish forces could only delay the invasion of the Germans and the Soviets. However, secret talks were made regarding the internment of Polish Soldiers in the USSR proper, so that if the USSR would go to war with Germany, a Polish fighting force could be set up either in the USSR or in any other country. Stalin ordered the KGB to secretly organise the necessary arrangements. Due to this, the Polish general Staff and it's elite division were moved to the north east of the country, together with the airforce, to defend Poland against "possible Soviet aggression" due to the Molotov-von Ribbentrop pact...

So this setup saves the Polish HQ and the INF Div (remember, I play without unlimited breakdown) for the CW force pool. You never can have enough HQ's available and even the Polish one is a good asset for the CW...

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 47
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/13/2014 6:44:23 PM   
joshuamnave

quote:

ORIGINAL: markb50k

When discussing the initiative bonus and how it moves back and forth between the Axis/Allies...  I believe your statement above was a little off..

- if one side has the first and last impulse of the SAME turn (slightly different than what you said above)

This is correct. Having a double turn just makes it more likely that you either had first/last the previous turn or will have first/last this turn. But it is going first and last in the same turn, not having a double turn, that matters for moving the initiative marker.

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 48
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/13/2014 6:45:43 PM   
Centuur

quote:

ORIGINAL: markb50k

You are absolutely right...

Peter

(in reply to markb50k)
Post #: 49
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/15/2014 6:43:03 PM   
Centuur

Here is the choose action form. Apart from choosing actions, you can also announce the use of an offensive chit in this form (if you got one).

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 50
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/15/2014 6:44:26 PM   
Centuur

Japan takes a combined, Germany takes a land and Italy (since it is neutral) chooses a combined action.

During naval air, the Italians move a Gabbiano flying boat into the Eastern Med, to cover the TRS which will appear there with the supply unit on it.
The Japanese sail the TRS and Amph into the China Sea, using the two naval moves they have. Yamamoto, the 6-3 MAR, the Hiroshima MIL, the ENG and the ART divisions are on board, ready to leave the ships in China. An Italian TRS leaves Eritrea (loaded with the supply unit) and sails for the Eastern Med, crossing the Suez Canal (which they are allowed to do, because Italy is still neutral).

Next comes the Ground Stikes. Sirens are hailing over Warsaw and Lodz, where the army bases are bombed by the two Stuka's just after dawn... Resistence is futile...

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 51
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/15/2014 6:55:06 PM   
Centuur

Germany wakes up with the radio playing military music and newsbulletins concerning the attack the Poles made on a German radio station and that the Wehrmacht has answered this attack...

Music like this::

Here's the Badenweiler Marsch, also known as the Marsch of the Prussian army:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJ_9e7ouobc

Bombs away:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 52
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/15/2014 6:56:02 PM   
Centuur

And again...

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 53
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/15/2014 6:57:54 PM   
Centuur

Futile? Well, let's just say that one Polish general send his troops on training, so the barracks of that unit in Lodz were empty...

After returning to base, during rail movement, the Japanese move the GAR in Manchuria into the city of Kaifeng.

After that, comes the Japanese movement phase in which only Terauchi moves into China. The other 2 allowed moves for land units are used later to debark Yamamoto and the 6-3 MAR in Haichow. Japan is going to see if it can get the Chinese to collapse before the summer of 1941. That leaves the USSR of course free to do what it wants in Persia and is a dangerous country in the north, so I have to keep attention to that frontier. This is the first of the major strategic choices one has to make in the game. Go for a strategy and try to stick to it. I think it is better to make decisions early in the game if you can as the Axis, rather than wait for the Allies to do something and to react on this. Time is on the Allied side in World in Flames.

Italy moves one TERR in Ethiopia to a better position and saves the other allowed land move to debark the supply unit into Bardia later. This leaves an Italian TRS at sea. Bait for the CW? We'll see...

In the German movement phase, the first unit moved is the INF into the port of Danzig, to try to capture the Polish navy. The Polish Destroyer Flotilla was scuttled by their crews. However, the Merchantmen were incorporated into the German Merchant Fleet. After this, the German army moves to get a attacks on Warsaw (+13) and Poznan (+16,333) , while putting the Polish CAV out of supply.

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 54
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/15/2014 7:00:22 PM   
Centuur

Warsaw is a little tricky, because when the roll (2D10) will be a 5 or less, I'll have a whole German army disorganised, without Warsaw in German hands. That might mean the Poles are going to survive this turn. Now, if I take Warsaw without getting disorganised, I can attack Lodz with 75 combat factors, not taking into account the combat factors of von Rundstedt, which makes that attack a +18. So von Rundstedt uses HQ support in the attack on Warsaw and the Luftwaffe are throwing in bombers for ground support (with double tactical factors in the surprise impulse). I want to take Poland without casualties if possible! If you can't handle the worst result, don't attack and I sure don't want Poland to stay alive if I can prevent it from happening. The attack on Warsaw goes up to + 17,222. I've minimised the risk to the German forces as good as I can. Now it's up to the wargods (the dice...).

First, I choose the attack on Warsaw. The Poles choose the Assault table and their it comes:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 55
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/15/2014 7:01:10 PM   
Centuur

Thank God I threw von Rundstedt and the Luftwaffe in... Otherwise, the attack on Poland would have ended here...

After entering Warsaw comes the attack on Poznan. It's the assault table again:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 56
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/15/2014 7:05:06 PM   
Centuur

Das Oberkommando des Heeres is not amused about the way the dice were rolled. Not amused at all. The attack on Lodz will not be a +18 at all, but a +11... So the Poles will get the opportunity to survive the first turn. Well, that comes if you want to attack in the west as soon as possible. Bad luck. Now, I can do two things. Either make Lodz a PoW camp for the rest of the turn and attack it again in N/D, or I can go for the +11 (which means that I need an 8 minimum on the dice... Difficult decision to make).

The Germans rebases the FTR out of East Prussia towards the western front and uses the last air mission it has to reorganise the 6-4 MTN. That ends the first impulse of the game...

Now, to honour the quite stiff resistance of the Poles, here is the last hit of free Poland, which was to be published on the 3rd. of september 1939...:

Rena Rolska - Trzy listy (Three Letters)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6OTowI775lw

< Message edited by Centuur -- 1/15/2014 8:10:29 PM >

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 57
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/17/2014 5:42:12 PM   
Centuur

I'm currently testing the new patch...

Oh, and did anyone see how I messed up the set up of the CW? I made a major mistake there... It's been to long since I played the game...

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 58
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/19/2014 7:43:56 PM   
Centuur

The first allied impulse start with the manditory DoW's of France and the Commonwealth on Germany. Headlines in the US newspapers and politician say: “this is a European war”. One US entry chit is removed, leaving 2 entry chits in the Ge/It and 1 in the Japanese pool.

General mobilisation is declared in Germany, France en througout the Commonwealth. Reservist are called for duty. Milita appear in Kiel, Berlin, Königsberg, Manchester, London, Sydney, Delhi, Paris and Lyons.

At this point, the next song seems appropriated. Here is Vera Lynn, with Yours...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=onH-WTVQGsg

After placement of all other reserves, the Germany looks like this:

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 59
RE: A musical global war AAR... - 1/19/2014 7:45:14 PM   
Centuur

All gaps around the Maginot line are now closed.

The actions chosen by the allies are:

France and Commonwealth: naval
China: land
USA and USSR (since both are neutral): combined.

Since the German fleet is based in Stettin, it is almost out of range of the CW aircraft (only the Hampden can get there, but since it than has only 1 air to sea factor, it is decided not to attack the German fleet.

The CW and France sales cruisers into the Faroes Gap, North Atlantic and Bay of Biscay, Western and Eastern Med, Cape Verde Basin and the Cape St. Vincent, to make sure the convoys have protection. All those sea area's have a cruiser in the 0,1 and the 4 section. Especially the Italian Sub can sail a long way, since it has a speed and a range of 4.

The Sierra Leone TERR is put unto a TRS and sails into the Cape St. Vincent. The South African TERR is on board of the Queens and sails into the Eastern Med. The first will reinforce the units in Gibraltar, the second will be put to garrison duty in Malta. A Frech TRS sails a 6-3 INF out of Beirut into the Western Med.

The Indian Ocean Fleet set sails for the Eastern Med while the Home Fleet, consisting of 6 BB's and a cruiser escort sails into the North Sea to escort the BEF (Gort and a 7-4 MOT).
The French sail the Algerie and another cruisers out of Djibouti towards the Pacific (to bravely run away...).

Now, since the Royal Navy has sailed, it's time for the “Heart of Oak”, the official Royal Navy march...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pqUN0hMpORc

In the picture of the Global map, you can see in which sea area's there are currently allied ships. The first number are the convoy points, the second the number of allied ships, the third is the number of allied submarines and the fourth is the number of allied aircraft in the sea area. In the North Atlantic there are only convoys and escort ships, so only two numbers are shown here...

Attachment (1)

Peter

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> After Action Report >> RE: A musical global war AAR... Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI