Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Korsun AAR Cont...

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> After Action Reports >> Korsun AAR Cont... Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Korsun AAR Cont... - 1/28/2003 7:31:10 PM   
BrubakerII

Hmm, couldn't post on the end of the other thread, maybe a size limit thing. Oh well.

The war rolls on and as Josan counterattacks and creates three mini pockets of my spearheads behind his lines, opportunity knocks in most unexpected places.

The firs screeshot shows the northeast section of the line. Josan (and my) armour are locking horns way to the south ans breaking through seems a long way away for me. In this sector however I manage to knock out an undefended strongpoint and two of my units vault the river with two from the north interlocking to create a solid platform. They are a tantalising thrust away from Korsun and its airfield. Where is the Wiking Division the Fuhrer screams? Good question and thankfully one I won't have to answer.

This is one of the double edged swords the German must face in Korsun Pocket. The area around Korsun is laden with valuable objectives. Do you move strong units up there to defend them or do as Josan has done and keep your strength to the south risking your Fuhrer's wrath (and defeat)?

I have moved a couple of supply trucks in very close to ensure that the units across the river remain supplied (not easy across an unbridged river). My next goal here is to a) keep Josan away from my area of operations and b) destroy the fortification beneath the yellow circle so my engineers can get to work and build me some bridges!

Surely Josan must move his ski unit (light blue) forward onto this fort to stop me gaining a bridge or two? Time will tell. The green arrow to the south indicates another fort I have destroyed across the river. Although only a tiny foothold it can soon be expanded into a launch point.

[IMG]http://users.esc.net.au/~ooyeah/Forumpic/Korsun/Turn10a.gif[/IMG]

This next screenshot shows an area to the south of my jump off point. There was another strong river here but with all units on the frontline stopping a breakthrough, here too I have managed to vault the river. I have alrady captured and repaired one bridge and are working on two others. Tough times for the Germans here.

[IMG]http://users.esc.net.au/~ooyeah/Forumpic/Korsun/Turn10b.gif[/IMG]

And finally to the west where my tiny pocket of men that have held oyt for four days are about to concede their lives for the greater good of the motherland.

Josan has done a miraculous job in not only defendign this area but hurting me as well. Of course to the north the terrain is clear and although I didn't take a screenshot I am closing in on the prize with what seems nought between me and the city of Korsun but snow and ice...

[IMG]http://users.esc.net.au/~ooyeah/Forumpic/Korsun/Turn10c.gif[/IMG]

Brubaker
Post #: 1
Korsun Turn 11 AAR - 1/28/2003 7:50:08 PM   
BrubakerII

We are really flying along now. And it is just as well, because there are some more little tricks in store for us yet. First of all is that fact that Josan is going to receive strong reinfrocements in the way of armoured divisions which could seriously dent my strategy. Sceondly, although the map presently looks a beautiful white colour as the countryside basks in a crisp Russian winter, the cold snap is going to end shortly, at least for a while, and when that happens the map is going to be map is going to get muddier than the Kakoda Trail. This means movement will slow, attacks more difficult and supply range of trucks smaller. If I can surround him by then he will suffer for sure. COnversely if I havent snapped the jaws shut I probably never will.

The first shot here shows the eastern front. Finally Josan has decided to break for the fortified line but he has made one small error in that by not leaving enough detachcments behind, he has allowed me to race my armour in quick pursuit. Note I have been able to reach his forts and break through before he has completed his defence. With a bit of luck in the next turn I can get a whole corps through...

[IMG]http://users.esc.net.au/~ooyeah/Forumpic/Korsun/Turn11a.gif[/IMG]

This next shot is the west and confirms to me that Josan has decided to withdraw on all fronts. Some interesting options are presenting themselves here. In the north I can attempt to break through the strong fort toward Medvin and cutoff a whole army Korps! Getting over the river with armour wont be easy though.

And to the south where the line should be the strongest I have killed two artillery units and advanced across the river. Good position for me though don't be fooled - Josan still has a ton of stugs and armour in those stacks in the middle.

[IMG]http://users.esc.net.au/~ooyeah/Forumpic/Korsun/Turn11b.gif[/IMG]

And finally a shot of the north where you can see my units closing in. I have no idea what defence to expect up there but if there is nothing shortly I am going to get to Korsun before they turn out the lights.

[IMG]http://users.esc.net.au/~ooyeah/Forumpic/Korsun/Turn11c.gif[/IMG]

Brubaker

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 2
- 1/28/2003 9:17:09 PM   
Von Dodenburg

It seems that the developers have abandoned the system of Strong Points in Korsun, and instead there are now detachments and forts. Could you explain exactly what the difference is?
I think that detachments might be the same as Strong Points in TAO but I am not sure...

//Peter N (Von Dodenburg)

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 3
Detachments - 1/29/2003 1:32:47 AM   
Duncan Maggs

Unlike strongpoints detachments have no defence strength and merely delay an opponent as he is forced to spend more movement points to move through the hex. Most units may make one detachment a turn but cannot then attack or entrench.

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 4
Korsun AAR Turn 12 - 1/30/2003 12:58:51 PM   
BrubakerII

Like so many other great plans, Josan has managed to crush mine from the last turn :(

Having said that, to do so he has to sacrifice strength from elsewhere and by probing correctly I am managing to find those weak spots.

The first picture is of the south eastern flank. Resistance in the bery south east has all but collpased. I have managed to overrun his supply bases and reinforcement hexes (just off screen) and will do the same with the ones onscreen in the next couple of turns. What this does is the following. Firstly you lose no reinforcements by having a reinf hex overrun, they simply appear in the next nearest safe hex which in this case is to the west somehwere (red circle). As I successively overrun these hexes more and more of his reinforcements will appear in the west (whioch may be good or bad for me I guess, but realistic). Secondly, and I think this answers Joe's question from before, but as I overrun the 'flags' as Joe put it, I gather Alert Points (or more correctly, he does). When enough Alert points are accumalted, reinforcements are released a little earlier. This replicates the fact that if a side advances very quickly, the high command of the opposing nation releases countering forces earlier. So even though it is a major success for me to have overrun this area to the east, it will have the flow on affect of releasing more of his reserves earlier. Oh well, the price we pay.

My intetnion is to move all forces in a general western direction (yellow arrows) and try and tie up his reserves as they appear.

In the north left corner of this screenshot you will see Josan smartly countered my initial thrust through his line. I then moved my forces south and again broke the line destroying a supply truck and surrounding two armoured units in the process (though I expect him to rescue them in the next turn. More importantly I have vaulted the river (and repaired the bridge) which has allowed my (so far) unfettered access into his rear [ooh saucy
:rolleyes:] and have a heap of armour and cavalry deployed to exploit. I will be waiting with anxiety his next turn to see if he can stop this thrust or whether it will be his undoing.

[IMG]http://users.esc.net.au/~ooyeah/Forumpic/Korsun/Turn12a.gif[/IMG]

To the north of this line, as expected, Josan moved his ski unit onto the fort stopping all hope of me destroying it and gaining a brdigehead. Because of his general lack of strength here however, I have continued to push my our of supply units further behind his defence in an effort to then force him out of supply.

I will now shift my focus a little further south where the forts are undefended and try and force a passage here. [Note to myself: when defending, [B][I]ALWAYS[/I][/B] sit opposite downed bridges.] The north of this picture is fascinating as there still appears to be no defenders in Korsun :confused: I expected there to be units on the other side of the river but as yet none have materialised. If that remains the case this victory will be easy. Time will tell (or the lext couple of turns anyway.)

[IMG]http://users.esc.net.au/~ooyeah/Forumpic/Korsun/Turn12b.gif[/IMG]

In the west the situation is becomig quite surreal. The large cross indicates where Josan has destroyed my 'island' at last and thereofre released some more of his units to the front. The small yellow cross indicates where he killed an amoured unit of mine and is in a position to attack to my rear. To the north you will see where my armour has broken open his fort and Stug defeding the river and stand free to raid into Medvin. I have no doubt the unit in front of them that I cannot identiofy is their supply unit. Beyond that though who knows. Interesting times ahead. Note I am moving some infantry from the line in the north back down behind the front to help cover in the south.

[IMG]http://users.esc.net.au/~ooyeah/Forumpic/Korsun/Turn12c.gif[/IMG]

The next turn should be a beauty.

Brubaker

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 5
- 1/30/2003 2:39:48 PM   
Fred98

When can I send my money?

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 6
Re: Korsun AAR Turn 12 - 2/1/2003 11:18:11 PM   
Wallenstein

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BrubakerII
[B]
The next turn should be a beauty.

Brubaker [/B][/QUOTE]

We are waiting...;)

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 7
- 2/2/2003 4:55:43 AM   
BrubakerII

Hi Wallenstein

Unfortunately I am going to have to leave you hanging...:o Don't want to spoil all of it for you!

Actually we have just received a new build of the game and are needing to start over. This is not bad news though - a few new features have been added, mostly in information reporting and display.

Although we are starting over, this time around I will play the German and start an AAR from that perspective. I will also try and show you some more of the 'intricacies' of the game.

regards

Brubaker

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 8
- 2/2/2003 5:16:54 PM   
Wallenstein

Hello BrubakerII!

Glad to read your´re still battling out there.
As I´m eagerly awaiting the release of the game, every longer break raises the fear of an unsuspected occured bug.:eek:

Keep going!

greetings
Wallenstein

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 9
- 2/2/2003 5:33:25 PM   
BrubakerII

I am not supposed to comment about that kind of stuff but I think it fair to say this package of code is 99.9% rock solid. SSG are doing a top job.

Brubaker

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 10
- 4/13/2003 11:18:08 AM   
Chiteng

It sounds like, (in old classic wargame terms)
The soviets simply outgrind the germans, and the line
collapses. Am I correct?

“It is clear that the individual who persecutes a man, his brother, because he is not of the same opinion, is a monster.”

Voltaire

'For those with faith, no proof is needed. For those without faith, no proof is enough'

French Priest

"Statistic

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 11
- 7/19/2003 2:18:03 AM   
Eric Young

This looks so much like the Korsun Pocket game that People's Wargames put out in the early 80's that I simply must buy this. I played that game to death. So much so I bought three copies of it. One is still mint condition.

It's looking really good.

E

"If I did unto others as they did unto me I would be a horrible person." -Kari Thorsen

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 12
- 7/22/2003 1:01:02 PM   
Fred98

Eric you will enjoy it.......and it might give you some ideas.....

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 13
- 7/22/2003 3:46:56 PM   
BrubakerII

Hey what are you guys talking about :mad: and why are you talking about it in a dead thread? What are you holding back from us?

Joe, Eric has hinted before at quite a lot of info tucked away from the old days. Maybe there is a 1,000,000:1 World@War type hex revival in the wind...?

Brubaker

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 14
RE: Casualties in a Bloody War - 9/7/2005 5:50:57 AM   
Anecdotes

BrubakerII wrote: "The first picture is of the south eastern flank. Resistance in the bery south east has all but collpased. I have managed to overrun his supply bases and reinforcement hexes (just off screen) and will do the same with the ones onscreen in the next couple of turns. What this does is the following. Firstly you lose no reinforcements by having a reinf hex overrun, they simply appear in the next nearest safe hex which in this case is to the west somehwere (red circle). As I successively overrun these hexes more and more of his reinforcements will appear in the west (whioch may be good or bad for me I guess, but realistic). Secondly, and I think this answers Joe's question from before, but as I overrun the 'flags' as Joe put it, I gather Alert Points (or more correctly, he does). When enough Alert points are accumalted, reinforcements are released a little earlier. This replicates the fact that if a side advances very quickly, the high command of the opposing nation releases countering forces earlier. So even though it is a major success for me to have overrun this area to the east, it will have the flow on affect of releasing more of his reserves earlier. Oh well, the price we pay."

This is the Eastern Front, home to the bloodiest battles. There will always be a price to pay, the question is how much? Here is a hilarious example, which can be quite real...

If you are the Russians in 1941: a Russian general for instance, and have command over approximately 52,500 troops, 3 divisions plus support brigades, you will (statistically) lose about 24,000 plus 2,000 deserted from high-tech Stuka dive bombers (Soviets don't have Sturms until much later) and have 26,000 left by the end of September 1941. Your remaining 26,000 will last till Spring the next year... in which case Stalin will be most displeased (not your fault: blame the Germans.) You'd be relieved of your command, summoned back to Moscow... then... fortunately this is 2005 and you can reload the save game.

P.S. Don't be afraid to retreat but leave a few expendable units to harrass the enemy to buy time against blitzkrieg encirclement.

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 15
RE: Winter 1941 Offensive - 9/7/2005 6:00:01 AM   
Anecdotes

The start of November 1941 (1st or 2nd) seems to be a plasible date for a good Russian Soviet counter offensive. Naturally, the Germans will not suspect that despite minor setbacks in the muddy season. It must be said that the Germans do not have adequate winter gear and equipment, even for their finest tanks.

All Soviets will prepare their radio equipment for the latest offensive plans, direct from Moscow! The great Georgi Zhukov is back to personally direct the battle with explicit plans that would make any German shudder for the first time since 1918!

And how does Korsun AAR incorporate this into the scenarios? (The weather and terrain factors.)

(in reply to BrubakerII)
Post #: 16
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Decisive Battles: Korsun Pocket >> After Action Reports >> Korsun AAR Cont... Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI