Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Debug Mode

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Debug Mode Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Debug Mode - 1/20/2014 1:31:13 PM   
David Clark

I've supported the product, purchasing it in its current state, and I have the highest hopes that Steve will improve it, as he has done so. However, as you know, all software has a life cycle, and at some point Matrix will determine that the declining volume of new sales no longer justify continued development resourcing. At that point, the game will become effectively unsupported, and it's my hope that the remaining players will have access to the debug menu so that we can try to work around bugs that persist.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 31
RE: Debug Mode - 1/20/2014 3:41:01 PM   
Numdydar

Well that sounds much better than your initial post .

I agree that at some point support will no longer be provided, but we are talking a long time from now, likely years. If WiF turns out like War in the Pacific and AE, (and AE is still being supported today) we could all be drooling in our beards before support was finally ended

(in reply to David Clark)
Post #: 32
RE: Debug Mode - 1/20/2014 3:44:03 PM   
tdpyle

Amen! I played ADG's debug version of CWiF. It was amazingly easy to screw up the game by using debug to vary the setup. Usually it crashed several moves later thus invalidating the game in progress. I'm not sure I ever got completely thru a debugged game. Using the consumer version of CWiF which ADG released later without the debug feature, I had few problems. Debug would likely cause more problems for Shannon than any of us could stand.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 33
RE: Debug Mode - 1/20/2014 4:49:11 PM   
Beryl

If used appropratly, debug function in CWiF was very handy to work around bugs (like CW production) or redo forgotten land moves or air rebase. Setup/Minor alignement modifications were possible but not allowed in the rules and thus not fully tested. I rarely saw crash when playing by the rules with debug mode.

"Nicht kleckern, klotzen!" - Guderian

(in reply to tdpyle)
Post #: 34
RE: Debug Mode - 1/20/2014 8:47:25 PM   
Numdydar

But unfortunately, that is the problem. Not everyone would use it to just 'play by the rules'. Once something like this is released to the public, then the developer will need to have planned for it to be used in ways it was never interded. Which will create major errors, crashes, etc. as the underliying game engine was not designed to do the things that people ask it to through using the debug tool.So instead of chasing real bugs/issue that affect the game, many cycles are spent chasing ghosts that were made by using a tool like this. Not a good way to get the existing code polished up and an AI developed.

(in reply to Beryl)
Post #: 35
RE: Debug Mode - 1/21/2014 2:43:37 AM   
Dabrion

CWiF was done by Chris and not ADG (as if anyone can program over there ^^), and is essentially the same as MWiF.

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 36
RE: Debug Mode - 1/21/2014 6:49:02 AM   
Numdydar

While you may think CWiF is the same as MWiF, I respectfully have to totally disagree. To me there is a huge difference between the two games. Even more so when CWiF will never have an AI and no further development of any kind will occur. While I do respect your opinions and I am glad you can enjoy CWiF, I am very gald we have MWiF as we will have a game that will continue to be developed at least for the next year.

Also CWiF is no longer even available on ADG's web site so anyone that does not already own it had better hope MWiF continues to be worked on if they want a WiF computer version. As I have said many times, I would much rather have MWiF as it is now, versus not having it at all. As far as I am concerned, it is still a much better product than CWiF ever was and will only get better as time goes on.

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 37
RE: Debug Mode - 1/21/2014 7:10:27 AM   
Dabrion

CWiF/MwiF.. enjoy.. same sentence.. does not compute..

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”

(in reply to Numdydar)
Post #: 38
RE: Debug Mode - 1/21/2014 9:28:39 AM   
warspite1

Dabrion, just out of idle curiosity, why do you waste your time hanging around here? The reason I ask is that sadly, but perhaps understandably given the bugs etc, MWIF has disappointed you, it has far from met your expectations and it seems like it will be sometime before that position is rectified if ever.

As you say, you enjoy neither CWIF nor MWIF and have said previously that you have stopped playing MWIF given the problems. That being the case, what's the motivation?

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 39
RE: Debug Mode - 1/21/2014 9:54:21 AM   
Dabrion

I never started playing.. it is unplayable. I allocated time and money towards something that doesnt materialise.. (aka scam). Now I do not get my money back and the project is mid development, I want to track progress. Or perhaps I am only around so you can ask an intelligent question from time to time (out of idle curiosity, you know..), take your pick.

(in reply to warspite1)
Post #: 40
RE: Debug Mode - 1/21/2014 10:29:54 AM   
warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: Dabrion

I never started playing.. it is unplayable. I allocated time and money towards something that doesnt materialise.. (aka scam). Now I do not get my money back and the project is mid development, I want to track progress. Or perhaps I am only around so you can ask an intelligent question from time to time (out of idle curiosity, you know..), take your pick.
warspite1

Okay thanks - as I say just curious. And as for me asking an intelligent question - I wouldn't hold your breath

England expects that every man will do his duty. Horatio Nelson October 1805

(in reply to Dabrion)
Post #: 41
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> RE: Debug Mode Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI