Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/14/2014 4:57:31 PM   
Darkspire

The Preview for Universe is up

Universe Preview

Darkspire

Post #: 1
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/14/2014 6:09:40 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Ok! Wow! Thanks for the heads up.
It promises just about everything I had imagined as being 'good'. Now if they just make the modding tools and procedures friendly enough I can see so much potential.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 2
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/14/2014 7:36:24 PM   
Osito

I don't think I'll ever actually play the game once this expansion is released. I'll just spend the whole time designing a galaxy to play in, instead of playing.

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 3
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/14/2014 8:13:00 PM   
Hawawaa

Well time to make the rounds of the Internets and let people know. Thanks for the heads up.

(in reply to Osito)
Post #: 4
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/14/2014 9:27:01 PM   
Wolfe1759

From I post I made over at Grogheads earlier today on the same subject:

From this preview and the limited prior information that Matrix have released on Universe I find my self less than excited and likely to skip this release even though I've bought everything upto and including Shadows so far.

I'm not a modder so the major part of the expansion is of no use to me, the new storyline and techs may be a bit more of interest but as a non-modder it is not going to have the content to be worth anything like the price that has been the norm for the previous expansions.

Also a bit concerned with Universe apparently being standalone and effectively the Game of the Year / Gold edition of Distant Worlds any subsequent mods or releases for DW are going to require it and if you only have up to Shadows then your out of luck.

Hope I'm wrong in my assumptions or if I'm right I hope there is a heavy discount for those that own all the previous expansions.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Hawawaa)
Post #: 5
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/14/2014 9:50:23 PM   
Erik Rutins

Hi Wolfe,

I think you're mistaken on your assumption - I think the mods that Universe will unleash will benefit everyone, whether they are modders themselves or not. You can also be assured that general improvements to DW in many areas have been part of Universe development, as with all previous releases.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 6
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/14/2014 10:00:37 PM   
Wolfe1759

Erik - thanks for the reply

Looking forward to hearing more as we get nearer release.

"In War: Resolution. In Defeat: Defiance. In Victory: Magnanimity. In Peace: Goodwill." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Erik Rutins)
Post #: 7
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/14/2014 11:21:51 PM   
Algon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi Wolfe,

I think you're mistaken on your assumption - I think the mods that Universe will unleash will benefit everyone, whether they are modders themselves or not.

Very much this. Modders give games a new breath of life, which non-modders benefit from as well.

Post #: 8
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/14/2014 11:24:36 PM   
Dotdotdot

HALLELUJAH!

And only...Two months...

I can wait. *Twitch*

Is it March yet?

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 9
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 7:43:18 AM   
Tcby

Modding capabilities in other 4x games such as the Civ franchise *greatly* extend the enjoyment factor and overall replay value. The same can be said for most genres with an active modding community, the elder scrolls series being the obvious prime example. These benefits are not restricted to the modders; if anything they have the short end of the stick, because they put in all the work generating vast amounts of free content while the mod users reap the rewards.

Modding capabilities seem nebulous (..heh) as a main expansion feature, but they are usually end up greatly improving the game.

(in reply to Dotdotdot)
Post #: 10
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 10:04:15 AM   
Icemania

I'm an automatic buy but "meh" about the information provided. Primarily because there is just so little information. In contrast I can pop over to Stardock and see a range of screenshots and discussions about upcoming content for Galactic Civilisations 3.

I really hope the Mod support inspires the few Modders that we have to amazing feats. I hope it draws more Modders in but it worries me that the marketing for this release is so poor. Hawawaa's efforts alone to cross-post everywhere leave Matrix in the dust. What sells this game is the great game itself and those so desperate to find a good 4X they resort to a search and get lucky.

The wrap up release is a good call. Matrix would be inviting a lot of criticism without this at this stage. I really hope the price is surprising low. It's not time to milk the cow, it's time to draw in as many new players as possible in the interests of longevity of the franchise, and as possible Distant Worlds 2 customers.

The new storyline and technologies sound the most interesting and could even get me excited but next to nothing is said about it.

< Message edited by Icemania -- 1/15/2014 11:05:11 AM >

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 11
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 10:24:28 AM   
Tcby

I do agree that the details are very sparse.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 12
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 11:14:43 AM   
feygan

While the modding aspect and such are welcome additions the press release part of this news is i'm afraid pitiful. Ok so we will get to mod A, B & C but we need to know how and what tools will be involved? Will there be extensions of the mods folder so you do or do not need to alter core game files. Will it be all done in xml fils or with some other language requiring knowledge? Will this mean a set of editors come with the new release as per elder scrolls creation kit?

For anyone who is seriously interested in working with the modding side of the game these are essential pieces of information that are also deal breakers. If you intend to open up modding in a C language etc that could potentially put it beyond the reach of someone who only understands xml or visa versa.

If the dev does not wish to divulge basic information about the game features that is their prerogative, however it is in their best interest to do so if they wish to attract new customer. As the best form of advertising being good word of mouth I currently have little desire to even check up on the news for this release, let alone tell friends about it.

The part about the extended storyline is nice but seems somewhat of a pointless exercise. You have already informed us that we can create our own event trigger stories and so on, thus anyone who wants the original Shakturi battle can make it. That alone will not be enough to attract new buyers who have no other interest in the modding aspect, it was simply wasted column space that could of been used in a more informative way of the modding features.

(in reply to Tcby)
Post #: 13
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 12:14:26 PM   
Deathball

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania

I'm an automatic buy but "meh" about the information provided. Primarily because there is just so little information. In contrast I can pop over to Stardock and see a range of screenshots and discussions about upcoming content for Galactic Civilisations 3.

Well what do you expect, a bunch of screenshots of textfiles in Notepad++? Technical stuff like modding doesn't lend itself to flashy advertisement the way a completely new game does. At most they could talk about the extend of the modding capabilities but don't expect any amazing screens or trailers.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 14
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 1:22:07 PM   
Icemania

C'mon Deathball what a complete lack of imagination. Here are a couple of ideas off the top of my head:

1. Sponsor and coach a top modder or group to write a free mod released in parallel with the expansion as a demonstration of what can be done. Publicise with Screenshots or a Let's Play video of the Mod in action to show us an example of what can be done. 1000x the impact compared to a paragraph of text...

2. Provide some screenshots or video of the cool new technology in action. Fleets of Planet Destroyers squaring off ... ? Or of the Xaraktor virus wreaking havoc ...

3. Screenshots or video of the mega-battles implied by an Alliance versus Axis game?

4. A screenshot of the new technology tree.

5. Find a way to get this publicised on far larger gaming web sites. Stardrive and Endless Space are vastly inferior games IMO and yet have received way more publicity.

etc, etc

< Message edited by Icemania -- 1/15/2014 2:25:02 PM >

(in reply to Deathball)
Post #: 15
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 2:30:36 PM   
Erik Rutins

Folks, the first mention of this is not going to have all the information in detail. You can rest assured that before release, much more information will be made available.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

For official support, please use our Help Desk: http://www.matrixgames.com/helpdesk/

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 16
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 3:18:30 PM   
feygan

quote:

Folks, the first mention of this is not going to have all the information in detail. You can rest assured that before release, much more information will be made available.

Regards,

- Erik

Exactly what purpose does this serve? How do small "teasers" have any useful effect on the opinions of potential customers with regard to features? I understand not giving any details of the new storyline and agree totally with that strategy. But to offer up a token article that tells folks nothing about the actual features seems insane from a sales perspective.

If this were a new car it would be like releasing a picture of a single wheel and mentioning that this new model has "greatly improved handling, you can adjust the seats in many more ways than last time". What next do you offer up? a mention that the radio is capable of a wider range of functions, etc etc and on towards release day. If tangible physical products were marketed this way we would still be riding horses everywhere.

The gaming industry has really suffered over the past few years from over hyping games, yet at the same time keeping certain features and aspects locked away like a Roswell document. All this does is create contempt from customers when they purchase the product to find things not working as they expected. This could be blamed at the customer for getting their hopes up, but at the same time developers need to take responsibility for providing enough information to allow customers to make an educated and informed purchase.

Telling me I can mod A, B & C is all well and good but I want to know details of exactly how they will be moddable.

1. Will I need certain programming skills to do any of these things? If so which languages will I need proficiency in?

2. Will there be any supplied software for making mods similar to the Bethesda creation kit for example?

3. Will there be an extension of the graphical mods we can make and what format will they take?

None of the above have any bearing on revealing secrets about the game that could possibly spoil any enjoyment for customers. They are also aspects of the expansion that must already be known by the developer otherwise it would still be in the very basic concept stage. This means it has been a conscious choice to with hold this information. So my number one question is exactly why?

Post #: 17
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 3:31:32 PM   
Osito

quote:

ORIGINAL: feygan

This means it has been a conscious choice to with hold this information. So my number one question is exactly why?

My reading is that there has been a conscious choice to release this information in their own good time, and according to their own schedule, which, for all we know, has already been planned. Regarding your main point about the detailed information on the modding, don't purchase the game until you know that information. I expect it will be available pre-release, but it'll certainly be available post-release.

Personally, I wouldn't mind having some more information, but it's not a big deal to me.

Osito

< Message edited by Osito -- 1/15/2014 4:32:22 PM >

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 18
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 7:06:46 PM   
Cauldyth

quote:

ORIGINAL: feygan
If this were a new car it would be like releasing a picture of a single wheel and mentioning that this new model has "greatly improved handling, you can adjust the seats in many more ways than last time". What next do you offer up? a mention that the radio is capable of a wider range of functions, etc etc and on towards release day. If tangible physical products were marketed this way we would still be riding horses everywhere.

Heh, car manufacturers do this all the time. Just a couple examples from around the web after a quick google search...

quote:

The new Nissan Qashqai will be revealed on 7 November 2013, and Nissan has created this teaser image of the car, revealing nothing more than a hint of the LED running lights and new grille design on the car.

quote:

[Kia] leaked a sporty silhouette of a new car it is rumored to be unveiling at next month's Detroit auto show, according to Leo Wilkinson at The Telegraph. Wilkinson pointed out the silhouette appears to be a three-door model with pronounced wheel arches and "what looks like a wraparound front windshield," typical of a sports car.

(in reply to feygan)
Post #: 19
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 7:19:45 PM   
Erik Rutins

Feygan,

We're just getting started. Right now development is still in progress and marketing/promotion has just barely started. We're not sitting on a finished treasure trove of marketing materials and just keeping it from you out of spite. We're just still working on it. More information will be available as soon as we have it ready for release.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins
CEO, Matrix Games LLC

Freedom is not Free.

(in reply to Cauldyth)
Post #: 20
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 9:47:42 PM   
Wolfe1759

quote:

We're not sitting on a finished treasure trove of marketing materials and just keeping it from you out of spite.

I thought I recognised Erik in this picture

Attachment (1)

Post #: 21
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 10:04:53 PM   
Tampa_Gamer

As a modder, it is a must buy for me and I agree that the article is simply a press release teaser with no real information but it is what it is. But one of the key things I am looking for is how will the mods be loaded into the game and how will that process handle multiple iterations of the same file, etc. (i.e. priority). The current system of themes needs to be completely revamped to accommodate this since in my opinion it was a royal PITA to deal with (requiring serious mods to have both theme files as well as override original files. Which created problems when official released patches replaced original files. There are a number of space/strategy games that do this correctly and there are a number of them have seriously flawed systems which greatly hinder their ability for mass appeal.

For those interested, forum thread link to post with a master list of all my DW mods: Link

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 22
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 10:05:53 PM   
NightReaper

+1 lol

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 23
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/15/2014 10:11:12 PM   
rabek_slith

I greatly appreciate how the developers post in their forums.

I'll have to echo that the modding features do not excite me; I don't even play mods, let alone produce them.

But after past expansions, I have no reason to believe this one will be anything short of great. I'll eagerly wait for more information.

I was glad to see that there will be a discount for those of us that already have everything up until this point.

(in reply to Wolfe1759)
Post #: 24
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/16/2014 8:12:46 AM   
hewwo

Ha, yeah I agree, all the modders should be in the beta so we get some nice juicy mods asap :)

Also: I really hope that it will be possible for shipsets to progress through time, so we can have a star trek mod where the ship models update through the different eras. That would be EPIC! I will literally never play another game, ever.

(in reply to rabek_slith)
Post #: 25
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/16/2014 8:34:28 AM   
Icemania

quote:

Regards,

- Erik

Obviously.

Let me reword this in the most positive way I can. I hope the Marketing for Universe is an order of magnitude better than Shadows. An initial release with text only and that does not involve any major gaming site is not a good sign.

Post #: 26
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/16/2014 2:24:16 PM   
Ares106

quote:

major gaming site

Do you mean those major gaming sites where sega and ea and activision pay thousands of dollars to have their CODs and Battlefields and Rome2s and Colonial Marines plastered all over the background and then pay even more thousands of dollars to have 10+ reviews on all their rushed broken games?

I doubt people that frequent those sites would be interested in Distant Worlds.

However, space sector is a perfect match in my opinion.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 27
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/16/2014 2:47:28 PM   
Icemania

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ares106

quote:

major gaming site

Do you mean those major gaming sites where sega and ea and activision pay thousands of dollars to have their CODs and Battlefields and Rome2s and Colonial Marines plastered all over the background and then pay even more thousands of dollars to have 10+ reviews on all their rushed broken games?

I doubt people that frequent those sites would be interested in Distant Worlds.

However, space sector is a perfect match in my opinion.

Space Sector is indeed a perfect match. But Space Sector alone? Because that is all Shadows had around release.

There is a lot more to gaming sites and social media than just your IGN's.

Personally I enjoy reading Polygon. No shortage of Stardrive, Endless Space, Gal Civ 3 news there. But not a hint of Distant Worlds. This can be done just as News if there is fear of unfavourable reviews.

And yes I also frequent IGN. For amusement!

(in reply to Ares106)
Post #: 28
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/16/2014 3:12:30 PM   
Canute0

quote:

Personally I enjoy reading Polygon. No shortage of Stardrive, Endless Space, Gal Civ 3 news there. But not a hint of Distant Worlds.

Maybe DW isn't at the Steam hipe so they think it isn't on Steam it doesn't exist. :-)
I think different, oh a new game on Steam, hmm bad not worth to look into it.

(in reply to Icemania)
Post #: 29
RE: Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe - 1/16/2014 7:14:55 PM   
tjhkkr

quote:

Regards,
- Erik

Looking forward to it.

Remember that the evil which is now in the world will become yet more powerful, and that it is not evil which conquers evil, but only love -- Olga Romanov.

Post #: 30
Page:   [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Space Sector Preview For Distant Worlds - Universe Page: [1] 2 3 4 5   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI