Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Dispose of unprofitable colonies??

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? - 1/15/2014 7:02:41 PM   
ReadeB

Anyone found a way to do this?

I've had colonies rebel and go independent due to war weariness, but even 100% taxes won't make them go independent. They just stop paying taxes... gr... I'd love an option to "gift" those colonies to my AI "ally".

I guess prevention is the best medicine, but I'd like to shut down enemy empires and then release their unwanted colonies vs watching the enemy empire linger in financial ruin.

I even tried repeatedly inciting rebellions at the enemy colonies, but they won't go independent.

I know.. bombard, but anything sneakier than that?

How about an option to assist colonists in moving to higher quality worlds and allow them to become abandoned. Sounds like an opportunity for a cool scenario.
Post #: 1
RE: Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? - 1/15/2014 8:14:55 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

Hmm, you can give Ships, Bases, but not Colonies.

Why is the colony 'unprofitable'? Sub quality 50? Otherwise, what may be low or no profit today, should eventually grow into as profitable as any other world.

(in reply to ReadeB)
Post #: 2
RE: Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? - 1/15/2014 8:22:42 PM   
Darkspire

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

Why is the colony 'unprofitable'? Sub quality 50? Otherwise, what may be low or no profit today, should eventually grow into as profitable as any other world.

One thing that has always bothered me is that DW has no planet terraforming, would be great if we could up those quality levels on teh substandard planetoids, I always seem to find good quality ruins on near useless planets, yes the ruins give a development bonus but all that does is help offset the low quality with a bit of financial return when the colony is a few years on.

Darkspire

(in reply to CyclopsSlayer)
Post #: 3
RE: Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? - 1/15/2014 9:51:38 PM   
HariSeldon

I totally agree, terraforming is completely absent, and this is a very important aspect of space 4x game to me.

Hari

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 4
RE: Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? - 1/15/2014 10:22:09 PM   
Deathball

I don't see the appeal in terraforming or what it would actually add to the game. As for the OP's question, there is no way, if you don't want to deal with a colony your only options are bombardment and Death Star. Very annoying since you can't bombard those pesky independents.

(in reply to HariSeldon)
Post #: 5
RE: Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? - 1/15/2014 10:42:39 PM   
CyclopsSlayer

I agree, the existing Terraforming Facility is next to useless, if as stated all it does is repair lost quality.
If it were to slowly raise quality to 100% then even the worst of worlds would become utopias eventually.

I do find it odd there is no Terraforming features, with the technology levels displayed you would think they would be an obvious development.

(in reply to Darkspire)
Post #: 6
RE: Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? - 1/15/2014 11:20:08 PM   
Henzington

I wont expect it to be quick but I also am surprised there is no ability to raise planet quality or change the planet type like from barren to volcanic. I have had the ruins that greatly improve troops but it seems every time the planet they are on is completely terrible.

< Message edited by Henzington -- 1/16/2014 12:21:25 AM >

Post #: 7
RE: Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? - 1/17/2014 12:52:48 PM   
ReadeB

I try to look at the price of defending a colony in maintenance vs the taxable income. Nothing seems to drop GDP faster than a pirate raid.

Even a small defensive base and a reasonable garrison appear to cost roughly 10K credits.

If I can't get that sum out of taxes (after corruption) I consider it unprofitable.

A colony can have a bunch of redeeming qualities, but too many zero profit or all expense colonies and your cashflow starts to become an issue.

You can watch this affect on the AI when you pick off all the high quality colonies and leave him the 50% and lower. He'll start scrapping spaceports and ships and his private economy will start scrapping freighters.

I wish I could shut them all down and let the low quality colonies linger as independents or watch them slowly abandon the planet on my passenger ships.

Post #: 8
RE: Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? - 1/17/2014 1:25:22 PM   
Shark7

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

You can give away colonies in special circumstances...let's say you and an ally go to war against faction c and each conquer a planet in a system. In this special case, you can trade or give away the planet you conquered to your ally if it is the smaller (population wise) of the planets. You can also try to trade for it if the opposite is true.

Distant Worlds Fan

'When in doubt...attack!'

Post #: 9
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Dispose of unprofitable colonies?? Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI