Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

Game question.

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Game question. Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Game question. - 1/29/2014 8:19:31 PM   
stormbringer3

Since this title is close to release date I thought I'd ask for an opinion from those who are familiar with the game system in this title. Steel Panthers is one of my all time favorites. I didn't like Squad Battles or Conflict of Heroes nearly as well. How does this title compare to Steel Panthers?
Thanks for any opinions.

Post #: 1
RE: Game question. - 1/29/2014 11:37:14 PM   
Barthheart

Well... I would say you can't really compare it with Steel Panthers(SP).

Heroes of Stalingrad(HoS) is based directly on the board game series Lock and Load, which includes games from
WWII (1940 West front, 1942-45 East Front, 1944-45 West Front, and soon Med/Italian front and the Pacific)
Vietnam,
WWIII,
the Falkland Islands,
and Somalia.

It has squad counters that represent 8-12 men. These "men" are not tracked individually like in SP.
If a squad takes damage, it gets replaced with a 1/2 squad counter. Next damage removes it from the game.
But squads can also "shake" and get rallied.

There are separate counters for leaders, heroes, medics, snipers, nurses, civilians etc. which aren't part of SP.

HoS plays like a board game on the computer, much like Conflict of Heroes which is also a port of a board game to the PC.
You move counters on a hex map, roll dice when resolving combat etc.

I'd say that Squad Battles is closer Steel Panthers in most ways....

Not sure what else to tell you unless you have specific question. What did you not like about Conflict of Heroes?

Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty & well preserved body,
but rather to skid in broadside, totally worn out & proclaiming "WOW, what a ride!"

(in reply to stormbringer3)
Post #: 2
RE: Game question. - 2/3/2014 7:46:19 PM   
Richie61

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

Heroes of Stalingrad(HoS) is based directly on the board game series Lock and Load, which includes games from
WWII (1940 West front, 1942-45 East Front, 1944-45 West Front, and soon Med/Italian front and the Pacific)
Vietnam,
WWIII,
the Falkland Islands,
and Somalia.

It has squad counters that represent 8-12 men. These "men" are not tracked individually like in SP.
If a squad takes damage, it gets replaced with a 1/2 squad counter. Next damage removes it from the game.

There are separate counters for leaders, heroes, medics, snipers, nurses, civilians etc. which aren't part of SP.

HoS plays like a board game on the computer, much like Conflict of Heroes which is also a port of a board game to the PC.

Not sure what else to tell you unless you have specific question. What did you not like about Conflict of Heroes?

This is a great post to explain the game systems.

I play both SB and SP and overall they are very close to each other.

To fight and conquer in all our battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists in breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting.

Sun Tzu

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 3
RE: Game question. - 2/10/2014 7:07:22 PM   
Jeffrey H.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Barthheart

Vietnam,
WWIII,
the Falkland Islands,
and Somalia.

From the message traffic posted here it seems to me a lot like the old Squad Leader board games. I'm sure there are many differences but that is the "feel" I get from reading what's been put up here.

History began July 4th, 1776. Anything before that was a mistake.

Ron Swanson

(in reply to Barthheart)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Lock ‘n Load: Heroes of Stalingrad >> Game question. Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI