Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
- 2/4/2003 3:57:27 PM   
Frank W.

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Veldor
[B]Guys, as already pointed out Windows Messenger and MSN Messenger have nothing to do with the exploit mentioned at the start of this forum.

To clarify further though, what LES is refering to IS accurate. The exploit takes advantage of the "messenger service" on Windows NT,2000,& XP. Back in 95/98/ME days it was called the "WinPopup Service" and is enabled automatically with certain types of networking so 9x users can still be subject to it.

It is much easier to disable this service in Windows NT/2000/XP than in 9x. Some systems may not be able to disable it at all in 9x..

One reference that discusses some of this is at:

http://www.more.net/security/advisories/2002/021025.html

Also see: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q168893 [/B][/QUOTE]

WINPOPUP ?

i deleted this in my win feolder as i saw
no use for it. seems not that the system is missing
the files in any way...

(in reply to Les_the_Sarge_9_1)
Post #: 31
- 2/4/2003 8:23:41 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Been away over the weekend.

First of all I was not specifically referring to the "Messenger Service" I guess.
What with the usual redundancy of Windows, I was not sure there was two seperate beasts out there.

What I was referring to, to some extent was "MSN Messenger" I guess, which is likely separate and distinct.

The Messenger service pop ups though are not some fluke experience. I was getting several of them a day.
Sure I surf here and there. But my sister was also getting them on her machine, and she doesn't like the web at all.
It was a simple matter (once you know where it is) to disable the hassle though. It is just the same as the incorporated firewall in XP. It is nice to have a firewall, but not so thrilling if you are a new user unaware of where the thing is located.
Otherwise both features are just a few clicks away and a simple on off setting effectively.

I have two buddies that use the Messenger Service between their systems in their shared house. It allows them to avoid screaming from one room upstairs, to the other person downstairs. It's faster than a chat program, and doesn't require the other person to even be running a chat program.
And as their systems share a LAN they don't even need to be online.

But if you have a mail box you get junk mail. If you are online, you get junk email. It's the latest junk email dodge.
You can make it so you don't get junk mail, and you can make it so you don't get junk email.
Just saying you are running 98 though, will not prevent you from getting junk email.

The trick is to not install to many redundant protective programs heheh.

One of my current choices was to uninstall KaZaa, and switch to KaZaa Lite. Stop the source, and you stop the problem sometimes.

I also did a nice job blocking Blue Screens by choosing XP heheh.
98 has no Blue Screen blocking software hehe.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 32
- 2/4/2003 10:30:57 PM   
Belaja smert

If you want to continue using this service, but don't want to receive spam, then install a software firewall to your PC. Configure it properly and that's it. No annoying pop-ups, yet you can still utilize the service if necessary.

"THE TRUTH SHALL MAKE YE FRET"

Post #: 33
- 2/4/2003 10:49:53 PM   
Les_the_Sarge_9_1

Windows already has a firewall incorporated, no need to install one.

But firewalls are moody tools sometimes. They can be like filters, unable to distinguish what is harmless half of the time.

I LIKE that my life bothers them,
Why should I be the only one bothered by it eh.

Post #: 34
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion >> Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote