Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: Skynet

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Skynet Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Skynet - 12/24/2016 12:42:13 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

Heh, you're jumping the gun with Korea. The Battle of Kursk won't have anything on it.

No, I understood that. My concern was that you stated your MLR was way south. The mechanics of ground combat are such that any MLR can be pierced by a 'bad day'. The way to create a really impregnable defense is several layers. Korean penninsula has the terrain to allow for that, each 2 - 3 hexes apart. You can stop the AI cold. PBEM would do a landing at Moppo to break it, but it does force a landing there and to bring the deathstar into the Sea of Japan ... opportunity for kami.

And you are correct, in game, once the SOV activate, Kursk will be a light day in terms of losses. ARM/VEH points disappear like Niagara Falls. VP's just rocket up for both sides (good thing for you as when you are holding they go up rather equally).

Pax

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 751
RE: Skynet - 12/24/2016 3:39:43 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

In terms of boots on the ground on Hokkaido, I've four divisions currently deployed, along with some smaller units. Two additional divisions are in Tokyo at present filling out replacements and are destined for Hokkaido eventually.

On top of that, there are about a half-dozen IJA divisions with good TOE's currently on beach garrison duty across the Home islands. As the IJA milita units with crappy TOE's start to arrive, I'll swap some of them out and send them to Hokkaido.

I guess 7 divisions will be enough to force a big effort for Hokkaido - that's a division each for the three exposed eastern bases, one division for Hakodate and a QRF of two divisions to sit in Sapporo. Muroran can get a brigade or two and some tanks - two divisions a hex over in Sapporo should cover it.

AAR's suggest he will hit the beach with 6ID's +ARM Div in the first wave ... I don't think you will be able to dislodge him and then his followup will be 5 - 7 more ID's. You badly need the forces present to push him off before the 2nd wave.

There is no defense to B17's in '45 that I know of other than keep them out of range. His replacement rates are too high. B29's can be beat by attrition ... B17's not so much.

Pax

Post #: 752
RE: Skynet - 12/24/2016 4:47:07 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

I agree with nearly everything here, but whether HI/LI are important depend a lot of what the Japanese player has done so far so save up for the end. IF they are low on HI savings or supply killing off HI/LI is the quickest way to the end. In any case it hurts.

Like so much else, it's a chicken-or-the-egg situation.

If Japan has immense HI stores, that's one scenario. A good one for Japan. So the Allies should focus on burning up what HI is used for. But the Allies really don't know the HI situation unless there is kibitzing.

If the Allies focused on burning up Oil/Fuel in 1943-44 then leaving the HI intact and going for pinpoint is also a good move, VPs notwithstanding. As soon as the fighter pools are knocked down everything gets easier for the good guys.

But if the Allies feel that supply is the crux, and fuel was not targeted, then taking out HI, even by daylight pinpoint, can make sense. Maybe not in the HI though. Depending on the map situation there are deep HI wells at places less defended than Honshu. It's one case where centralized HI pools can actually hurt Japan. An HI factory burned in Canton is worth exactly what one burned in Osaka is worth, if supply location is not considered.

IMO though, Manpower bombing to take out LI is a fool's errand. LI is REALLY hard to destroy. I've tried to wipe Rangoon's for months, and it's been hurt, but a lot is still standing. It's like roaches. And LI is everywhere, and, of course, not dependent on Fuel. Japan needs to rely on LI for late phase supply and let the HI/Refineries go in order to protect the aircraft industries, so long as there is pool HI to build planes/engines. Chicken, egg.

In my game with Loka, almost everything I've done at the strategic level for over a year has been focused on making him use supply. In every way I can. I'm at the point now where serious hits on Oil are happening, but that's also still fundamentally focused on supply, not HI generation. He's recently posted on the forum what his HI stocks look like, and to a spreadsheet player like Loka not having enough HI would be a rookie mistake. And I can't primarily force him to use HI, except by doing things to his air force I so far haven't been able to do. But I can make him invest supply to survive, and if not I can sure destroy it in place.

The issue is time. I don't think I'll have enough. On the next turn I'm landing on Java in force and we will see. It's late July 1944.

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 753
RE: Skynet - 12/25/2016 11:05:01 PM   
mind_messing

Merry Christmas everyone. May Santa bring you many banzai's and R&D advances!

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 754
RE: Skynet - 12/26/2016 3:22:27 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Merry Christmas everyone. May Santa bring you many banzai's and R&D advances!

Pax

Post #: 755
RE: Skynet - 12/26/2016 8:01:39 AM   
obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

quote:

I agree with nearly everything here, but whether HI/LI are important depend a lot of what the Japanese player has done so far so save up for the end. IF they are low on HI savings or supply killing off HI/LI is the quickest way to the end. In any case it hurts.

The issue is time. I don't think I'll have enough. On the next turn I'm landing on Java in force and we will see. It's late July 1944.

It's amazing what happens in game over the year from 7/44 to 7/45. I just looked back at my long game with Jocke and was (again) shocked at how far away he was in the summer of 44.

At that time he had Tinian, but only Tinian, in the Marianas, and it was still 3 months before they were all taken and made into active bases. On N New Guinea he was at Biak, and he'd reconquered Darwin. That's it.

By July 45 Japan was on its knees and the Allies landed in Korea.

< Message edited by obvert -- 12/26/2016 8:02:03 AM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 756
RE: Skynet - 12/26/2016 2:43:06 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

quote:

quote:

It's amazing what happens in game over the year from 7/44 to 7/45. I just looked back at my long game with Jocke and was (again) shocked at how far away he was in the summer of 44.

At that time he had Tinian, but only Tinian, in the Marianas, and it was still 3 months before they were all taken and made into active bases. On N New Guinea he was at Biak, and he'd reconquered Darwin. That's it.

By July 45 Japan was on its knees and the Allies landed in Korea.

Hope then. I went as far as Truk. I have Sorong and Biak. Hope to have Java in a couple of months and take out PBang too. Have troops prepped for offshore Sumatra, and Northern Sumatra main.

OTOH, he is about to re-take Mandalay, and the whole Burma effort is stymied. My fighter and 4E pools are flat. The IJN is virtually untouched, although I have only lost two USN carriers myself and have almost all the BBs. He's incredibly good at being cagey with his ships. I have finally decided to just try to weld them to the pier rather than fight at sea.

I do find the prep system very handcuffing. So many targets I need in order to jump into B-29 range, so few IDs, and such long preps.

The Moose

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 757
RE: Skynet - 12/27/2016 9:33:37 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

quote:

Heh, you're jumping the gun with Korea. The Battle of Kursk won't have anything on it.

No, I understood that. My concern was that you stated your MLR was way south. The mechanics of ground combat are such that any MLR can be pierced by a 'bad day'. The way to create a really impregnable defense is several layers. Korean penninsula has the terrain to allow for that, each 2 - 3 hexes apart. You can stop the AI cold. PBEM would do a landing at Moppo to break it, but it does force a landing there and to bring the deathstar into the Sea of Japan ... opportunity for kami.

And you are correct, in game, once the SOV activate, Kursk will be a light day in terms of losses. ARM/VEH points disappear like Niagara Falls. VP's just rocket up for both sides (good thing for you as when you are holding they go up rather equally).

Yeah, I have the intention of an all in effort within the Keijo-Shanghai-Okinawa region.

Manchuria/Korea isn't much of a concern of mine right now. If (and it's a moderately sized if at this point) I can get the troops from Southern China out of theatre, that's a good 5k of AV. Add to that another 1k or so pulled from China, that's a good 15k AV of varying quality.

The shortest possible line is three hexes cutting across Korea. 5k AV in x3 terrain looks strong, at least on paper...

quote:

quote:

In terms of boots on the ground on Hokkaido, I've four divisions currently deployed, along with some smaller units. Two additional divisions are in Tokyo at present filling out replacements and are destined for Hokkaido eventually.

On top of that, there are about a half-dozen IJA divisions with good TOE's currently on beach garrison duty across the Home islands. As the IJA milita units with crappy TOE's start to arrive, I'll swap some of them out and send them to Hokkaido.

I guess 7 divisions will be enough to force a big effort for Hokkaido - that's a division each for the three exposed eastern bases, one division for Hakodate and a QRF of two divisions to sit in Sapporo. Muroran can get a brigade or two and some tanks - two divisions a hex over in Sapporo should cover it.

AAR's suggest he will hit the beach with 6ID's +ARM Div in the first wave ... I don't think you will be able to dislodge him and then his followup will be 5 - 7 more ID's. You badly need the forces present to push him off before the 2nd wave.

There is no defense to B17's in '45 that I know of other than keep them out of range. His replacement rates are too high. B29's can be beat by attrition ... B17's not so much.

I've not even looked at B-17/B-24 ranges. That's another chore for this turn...

quote:

quote:

Aw hell, plenty of time. You'll be amazed at the speed with which the Japanese empire can crumble. Obvert knows this. It's all momentum based - once the Allies have the assets in place to build up some steam, they'll roll over Japanese resistance and keep going.

As for the concerns about prep-time, we had a PM discussion where you said that everything needs two divisions and three months to prep. By late-44, how many divisions are you going to have? And how many kampfgruggpe can you make from US Army RCTs, tank units and the like?

If you get three of these forces assembled, you can do rolling landings once a month. that's the point where it gets scary for Japan. Currently, I reckon I've the ability to put the serious hurt on a landing once every four months or so. Any pace quicker than that and the Allies are getting it on the cheap...

On paper, the real limiting factor for the Allies (besides the time required to do all the clicks) is ships. Amphibs I doubt would be a problem unless you lose loads, so the real limiting factor is if you can provide sufficient CAP for those invasions. Considering that CVE arrival screen, it's a slim possibility.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 758
RE: Wrangling Loki - Mind_Messing (J) vs Lokasenna (A) - 1/11/2017 6:10:26 PM   
mind_messing

February 25th to March 21st, 1945

We're still not losing, and another month has rolled by.

North Pacific

Back to the usual monotony of nothing up here. The good news is that I've earmarked two divisions for Hokkaido, both of which are taking replacements on Honshu, and a few restricted units destined for the Kuriles and Sakhilin are arriving shortly if they've not already arrived. This should bump Hokkaido up to the suggested 7 divisions, and leave some spare change for a reaction force.

Central Pacific

The Allies land and take Yap. Unlike Babeldoab, this is a backwater base. While it's original garrison was formidable (a decent division and a strong brigade), I stripped most of the troops defending it to send to Okinawa, so the Allied assault rolls over the base.

It's a shame, as neighbouring Uluthi is stacked as far as it's 6k limit will allow, and I get the impression that the atoll shock attack would have made better reading. Yap had a stacking limit of 30k, and I couldn't justify the presence of a division when Okinawa was so sparsely held.

Some B-24 raids occur over the Marianas, and this is followed by some of the Allies fast surface bombardment units. In case the Allied axis of advance is swinging this way, I send over a few bombers and fighters to at least keep the Allies honest. Some fast transport TF's from Tokyo are sent to the bases here as well, to try to keep the fighting units topped up with beans and bullets in case the Allies do land.

Despite the fact that I've more or less gutted the defences here, I still thing that any Allied landings on the southern Marianas will be very bloody indeed.

Philippines

The Allies move an amphib force northwards to a base called Guiuian on Samar. This a 1(1) 0(5) base that the Allies took by bombing the defenders into oblivion and landing paratroopers. Thankfully, Japanese air search gave good warning of the approaching ships, and I was able to marshal a good strike from the Manila airbase complex.

The end results were moderately disappointing. The damage summary is as follows.

CVE Matanikau - 2 torpedo hits, 1 kamikaze hit (likely sunk)
CVE Tulagi - 2 torpedo hits, heavy damage (I suspect this one will live, but will be out for a while)
CVE St Lo - 1 torpedo hit
CVE Fanshaw Bay - 1 bomb hit, 1 kamikaze hit (moderate damage)
CVE Roi - 1 bomb hit

In short, I swap about 400 aircraft for sinking one CVE and wounding four more to various degrees. Nevertheless, I think I have too narrow a view of this engagement. At several points during the replay, IJ aircraft were dropping torpedos at USN Fast BB's, and a few of those could have went home, which would have changed the balance of losses quite drastically.

On top of that, the usual bugbear of bad co-ordination meant that a few good strike packaged got thumped. If the odds had been good, the outcome could have been much different.

At this point in the war, serious damage is as good as sinking ships.

However, it is not the Japanese that have the monopoly of attacking capital ships - while the USN CVE force is getting whacked by Japanese land-based air, the USN fast carriers make a daring raid into Manila Bay!

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Manila at 79,77

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 78 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 36 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 8
J2M3 Jack x 21
J2M5 Jack x 40
N1K5-J George x 24
Ki-43-IV Oscar x 8
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 5
Ki-84r Frank x 39
Ki-100-I Tony x 17

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 150
F6F-5 Hellcat x 94
SB2C-3 Helldiver x 52
TBF-1 Avenger x 9
TBM-1C Avenger x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
J2M3 Jack: 1 destroyed
J2M5 Jack: 2 destroyed
N1K5-J George: 1 destroyed
Ki-100-I Tony: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1D Corsair: 4 destroyed
F6F-5 Hellcat: 2 destroyed
SB2C-3 Helldiver: 9 destroyed, 7 damaged
TBF-1 Avenger: 5 destroyed, 1 damaged
TBM-1C Avenger: 2 destroyed, 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Haruna
xAK Hankow Maru, Bomb hits 1
BB Kirishima, Bomb hits 5
xAK Sinsyu Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
xAK Omi Maru, Bomb hits 2, on fire
BB Kongo
xAK Akagisan Maru, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires

The outcome is by far to the IJN's advantage - the Kirishima suffers superficial damage and loses a few 15cm secondary batteries, while the USN air losses far outweigh the loss of two superfluous cargo ships.

In Tokyo Bay, the KB has moved. This will not go unnoticed, but I want to create the impression that I am reacting, rather than to actually react. Land-based aircraft must bear the brunt of this engagement, and they're going in again tomorrow if the Allies stick around.

One other point of interest is that B-29's on night airbase attack have been smashing my planes on the ground with ease. Night fighters don't do much, and even in moderate moonlight and from 7000 feet, they do terrible damage. The real issue is not so much the damage, but the morale hit to the squadrons. Still, better the airbase than industry...

Allied paratroopers have landed on southern Luzon. A tank regiment is being sent to sweep them out, with follow on units ready to march south if the need arises.

A division and a brigade is loading in Tokyo for Luzon as well - these will likely be the last reinforcements for Luzon.

DEI

Soerabaja is invested. The level 6 forts will not take long to be eroded away.

Batavia has just had troops enter it, and the base will not remain in Japanese hands for much longer.

The three divisions holding Central Sumatra are broken by a combined force of British, American and Chinese troops, which pretty much marks the end for field operations for the Japanese on Sumatra. The endgame will now being, with Japanese troops retreating behind the level 6 forts at Palembang to take full advantage of the terrain and the level 6 forts.

China

The Allies are starting to tighten the noose in Western China - Paoshan is attacked for the first time in years, and the Allies succeed in lowering the forts down to level 4 in the mountain hex. The single Japanese division is performing heroic working keeping four Allied divisions out of China, but supply shortages are undoing all their hard work.

The main Japanese army in China has managed to disengage from the pursuing Allied army for the first time in about a year. Here's a rough summary of redeployments:

- Smaller IJA units(regiments/brigades) and collaborationist Chinese : sent to Canton/Hong Kong to defend there.
- Armoured units and A and B class divisions: moving to the Hankow region to rest and resupply. They will form the manoeuvre element once the Allies move in to China proper, and will high-tail it back to Manchuria come July.
- Third class divisions: sent north to defend Chungking and delay the re-spawning of the Chinese hordes.
- Support units and artillery: Manchuria bound.

The division of my forces is not something I want to do, but at this point there's simply no other choice. The good news is that there are several units newly arrived in China and Manchuria as reinforcements, so the main Japanese force should not decline in overall strength.

But China is going to fall, the best I can do is play it out for as long as I can and hope to jump a few Allied units with some IJA tank divisions and 90 EXP infantry divisions.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 759
RE: Skynet - 1/11/2017 8:42:37 PM   
mind_messing

AE giveth, and AE taketh away

The March 22nd turn becomes a horror show of low-level night bombing of Japanese airbases on Luzon, and daylight raids on Hong Kong and Canton, with sweeps thrown in for good measure.

Night fighters get worn down by penny-packet raids, and B-29s at 7000ft make a mess of airbases. In a new record, 7 B-29s account for 34 planes destroyed as per the combat report. And this at a time where the USAAF was considering it accurate to hit city districts.

400 IJ planes lost to 150 odd Allied. There are more damaged planes than working planes in most airgroups. Not that it matters, because their morale is shot to death anyways. At least we maul some Mustangs pretty nicely.

Could be worse, at least the Allies went for targets outside the Home Islands, but this has a turn that has me seriously concerned with defending the Home Islands when the time comes.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 760
RE: Skynet - 1/11/2017 10:02:03 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

Night fighters get worn down by penny-packet raids, and B-29s at 7000ft make a mess of airbases. In a new record, 7 B-29s account for 34 planes destroyed as per the combat report. And this at a time where the USAAF was considering it accurate to hit city districts.

Fairly consistent with what I see, only the AI tends to bomb at less than 5000ft and the results are even worse in terms of damage. Not only are my bases trashed, but 100% dam/destroyed AC is pretty typical of anything that was not airborne.

I have to use:
a lot of AA at targets.
a lot fighter groups on night CAP. At least 2:1 numeric odds, which means a lot of groups at 30-40% CAP so that it is 2:1 for the last 3 or 4 dribbles that come through ...
a lot of radar (minimum 2 sets at each base, more if I can).

My goal is to kill ALL of the B29's, no matter the cost. Why? Because they gain so much exp killing my fighters. B29'as commanded by +90 exp pilots are truly terrifying, set up a sand box to see for yourself if you doubt.

If I don't get them, when they come back they are even WORSE the next trip ... deadlier and harder to kill. So, essentially, I try to setup a B29 kill zone / CAP trap that is NOT on the HI. if he is bombing the PI with them, here's your chance. Just remember, his replacement rates of those birds is not good. Kill ~200 and his force is severely diminished ... and I will spend 1000 fighters to do it, because they are the only things that can wreck Osaka/Tokyo without needing to be on Korea/Hokkaido/Okinawa.

Good Luck!

Pax

Post #: 761
RE: Skynet - 1/12/2017 8:22:05 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

Fairly consistent with what I see, only the AI tends to bomb at less than 5000ft and the results are even worse in terms of damage. Not only are my bases trashed, but 100% dam/destroyed AC is pretty typical of anything that was not airborne.

At least it isn't Tokyo.

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 1/12/2017 9:49:43 PM >

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 762
The Beginning of the End - 1/20/2017 11:32:47 PM   
mind_messing

March 22nd to April 4th, 1945

There is no doubt now in my mind that we are fast approaching the terminal stages of this game. Yet, Japan still remains firmly in the fight. Industry in the Home Islands is intact, and while the last dregs of fuel are being consumed, industry pools are sufficient to tide Japan on for quite some time yet.

Philippine Islands

A series of major events transpire here in late-March, with the Allies putting troops ashore in large numbers on Luzon, at Naga in the south of the island.

Japanese efforts to interfere with the landings are shattered by massed B-29 strikes from low altitude at night on Japanese airbases on Luzon. The damage to the plan for the defence of Luzon is catastrophic - the ability to assemble a critical mass of aircraft to seriously damage an invasion fleet is removed, and what strikes that go against the US forces landing are dealt with by a strong CAP supplemented by land-based fighters from bases to the South.

USN carriers swiftly follow this with a raid on Manila, where the four Kongo-class battleships are at anchor, damaging one with a torpedo hit and forcing the battleships to withdraw back to Japan.

The IJN commits the KB to interdicting the US landings on Luzon, but with few land-based squadrons in fighting form after the night airbase raids, there are insufficient aircraft to do serious damage to the US Fleet, and the KB is forced to withdraw after heavy losses in aircraft and pilots. The Japanese carriers do, however, make a clean escape back to Japan.

The outcome of the battle is fairly one-sided. The Allies suffer the loss of two CVE to Japanese aircraft. The battleship USS West Virginia is likely sunk by an IJN submarine. The French battleship Richelieu and the fast battleship Missouri are both damaged, but no damage is inflicted to the USN fast carriers. IJN torpedo bombers on night naval attack missions in the following nights damage a further USN CVE.

Japanese losses are something along the lines of 1,300 planes, mostly on the ground. A large number of squadrons are shattered by these losses and most are pulled back to Formosa to regroup and recover. However, no major warships are lost.

The Allies are now firmly lodged on Luzon, and in force. In repsonse, troops and supplies are being ferried from Formosa to Luzon to help stiffen the resistance, while Japanese fighters on the island fly sweeps over the Allied lodgement at Naga.

Despite the free run the Allies have managed to have getting on to Luzon, I hope to be able to stall this campaign out as long as possible. There is 2000AV in Manila, and 1200 AV in the hex adjacent to it. One IJA division and two brigades are earmarked for air transportation in to Luzon, and fast transport task forces are already moving supplies in preparation of the Siege of Manila.

North Pacific

Just as March turns to April and the situation on Luzon calms down, a massive US naval presence appears in the North Pacific, heading for the Kuriles.

Unlike 1942, this time the Allied ships are spotted in plenty of time, and massive preparations are made to attempt to fend off the Allied ships.

The Allies land on April 2nd, 1945.

The Japanese naval and air response is massive. Large numbers of aircraft, staging from Hokkaido, are ready to intervene against the Allied fleet, while large numbers of IJN warships, mostly E-class coastal defence ships, are mobilised to interdict the landings. Allied carrier aircraft are kept on a tight leash, and there are no naval strikes attempting to clear the waters of these combatants. The KB was instructed to make a quick replenishment stop at Nagasaki and move with all speed to the Kuriles.

The Allies put troops ashore at Onnekotan-jima, Shimushiri-jima and Shasukotan. Both Onnekotan-jima and Shimushiri-jima have a single division in garrison and level 6 forts, while Shasukotan has a token garrison of an IJA battalion.

While the Allies are unloading troops, the IJN ships off-shore move in to make their attacks on the Allied armada. Confused by several forces of IJN warships operating close to them in the darkness, USN surface combat groups covering the invasions let a trio of IJN destroyers slip in to the CVE force covering the landings in daylight, to devastating effect:

quote:

Day Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 8,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 13 destroyed

Japanese Ships
DD Natsuzuki, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Keyaki
DD Nashi, Shell hits 4, on fire

Allied Ships
CVE Anzio
CVE White Plains
CVE Ommaney Bay
CVE Cape Esperance, Shell hits 1
CVE Wake Island, Shell hits 1
CVE Windham Bay
CVE Bismarck Sea, Shell hits 9, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CVE Makin Island, Shell hits 1
CVE Admiralty Island, Shell hits 4
CVE Takanis Bay, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
CLAA Juneau
DD Hall
DD John Hood
DD Rowe
DD Sigourney, Shell hits 2, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Cassin Young
DE John C. Butler, Shell hits 1
DE Richard S. Bull
DE Eversole
CL Hedeby, Shell hits 1
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 7,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Natsuzuki, on fire
DD Keyaki
DD Nashi, Shell hits 1, on fire

Allied Ships
DE Eugene E. Elmore
DE Hodges
DE Holt
DE Jobb
DE Daniel A. Joy
DE Charles J. Kimmel
DE Lough, Shell hits 1
DE McNulty
APD Enright
APD Gantner
APD George W. Ingram
APD Ira Jeffery, Shell hits 1
APA Marathon, Shell hits 3, on fire
APA Renville
APA Rawlins
APA Pickens, Shell hits 1
APA Sibley
APA Magoffin
APA Navarro, heavy damage
APA Effingham, Shell hits 15, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
28 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 3 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 1 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Day Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 3,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
DD Natsuzuki, on fire
DD Keyaki
DD Nashi, on fire

Allied Ships
APD Belet
APD Burke
APD Lee Fox
APD Witter, Shell hits 8, heavy fires
APA Fremont
APA Montour, Shell hits 41, heavy fires, heavy damage
AK Bedford Victory
AK Canada Victory
AK Manderson Victory, Shell hits 10, on fire
AK Navajo Victory
LCI-786
LCI-794, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

Allied ground losses:
448 casualties reported
Squads: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Non Combat: 1 destroyed, 5 disabled
Engineers: 18 destroyed, 43 disabled
Vehicles lost 12 (3 destroyed, 9 disabled)

However, the accumulated damage was too much for the damage control teams on the IJN destroyers, and all three sank before making it back to a safe port.

By the end of D-Day on April 2nd, the situation became quite clear in that Allied forces had landed in sufficent strength to take Onnekotan-jima, but were stalemated on Shasukotan and Shimushiri-jima.

IJN interference with the landings continued on the night of April 3rd, with a force of Japanese motor-torpedo boats breaking past the covering Allied warships and making a effective attack on ships unloading troops at Shimushiri-jima:

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 1,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
MTB G-1023
MTB G-1024
MTB G-1025
MTB G-1030
MTB G-1031, Shell hits 1, and is sunk
MTB G-455, Shell hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
DE Oliver Mitchell
DE O'Flaherty
DE Oberrender
DE Thaddeus Parker
APA Henrico, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 6, and is sunk
APA Catron, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
APA Edgecombe, Shell hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
APA Drew
APA Mountrail
APA Montrose
APA Marvin McIntyre, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
APA Gage
APA Menifee
AGC Spencer, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Allied ground losses:
2154 casualties reported
Squads: 26 destroyed, 26 disabled
Non Combat: 125 destroyed, 67 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 0 disabled
Vehicles lost 74 (67 destroyed, 7 disabled)

Several more engagements followed this one, with IJN MTB's engaging Allied LST's, sinking several and disrupting landing operations.

The USN gets some revenge, sinking the CL Sakawa off Hokkaido with three torpedoes. This recently completed ship saw no real combat service and was sunk on it's way north to the combat area.

Daylight on April 3rd brought more surface engagements with IJN E-class ships, which generally resulted in a net loss to the IJN. However, a force of the E-class warships were able to again engage a USN task force of LST's and further disrupt landing operations.

Japanese attempts at air attack on the USN ships were hampered by poor weather and poor co-ordination, leading to heavy losses amongst the attacking squadrons. However, a single IJA Peggy bomber was able to ram the CVE Anzio.

By April 4th, the IJN had been able to bring large numbers of warships in to the combat zone, which effectively clouded the battle area for USN carrier operations. The key engagement occurred at night between a group of IJN E-class warships and the main USN carrier group.

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 133,51, Range 30,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
E No.57
E No.186, heavy fires, heavy damage
E No.205, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown
CV Enterprise
CV Randolph
CV Shangri-La
CVL Independence
CVL Belleau Wood
CVL Cowpens
CVL Bataan
CVL San Jacinto
CV Lexington
CV Illustrious
CV Essex
BC Renown
CL Emerald
CLAA San Juan
DD Lewis Hancock
DD Healy
DD Heermann
DD Luce
DD McNair
DD Mertz
DD Owen
DD Halsey Powell
DD John Rodgers
Night Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 133,51, Range 30,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
E No.118
E No.154
E No.190

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown
CV Enterprise
CV Randolph
CV Shangri-La
CVL Independence
CVL Belleau Wood
CVL Cowpens
CVL Bataan
CVL San Jacinto
CV Lexington
CV Illustrious
CV Essex
BC Renown
CL Emerald
CLAA San Juan
DD Lewis Hancock
DD Healy
DD Heermann
DD Luce
DD McNair
DD Mertz
DD Owen
DD Halsey Powell
DD John Rodgers
Night Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 133,51, Range 2,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
E No.3, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
E No.47, Shell hits 6, on fire
E No.63, Shell hits 2, on fire, heavy damage
E No.74, Shell hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
E No.76, Shell hits 15, and is sunk
E No.82, Shell hits 1
E No.102, Shell hits 12, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CV Yorktown
CV Enterprise
CV Randolph
CV Shangri-La
CVL Independence
CVL Belleau Wood
CVL Cowpens, Shell hits 4
CVL Bataan
CVL San Jacinto
CV Lexington
CV Illustrious
CV Essex, Shell hits 6
BC Renown
CL Emerald
CLAA San Juan
DD Lewis Hancock
DD Healy
DD Heermann
DD Luce
DD McNair
DD Mertz
DD Owen
DD Halsey Powell
DD John Rodgers

While the damage to the USN carriers was minimal, this triggered their retreat back eastwards. In game terms, these surface engagements sent the US CV TF back to it's home base in the Aleutians.

While the US CV's were returning east, land-based torpedo bombers took off on night attack missions on the US ships off Shimushiri-jima in what was the most effective night attack of the war to date.

quote:

Night Air attack on TF, near Shimushiri-jima at 133,52

Raid detected at 59 NM, estimated altitude 10,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 19 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N2 Jill x 14

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N2 Jill: 1 damaged

Allied Ships
APA Gage, Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
APA Mountrail, Torpedo hits 1

Allied ground losses:
3183 casualties reported
Squads: 37 destroyed, 35 disabled
Non Combat: 161 destroyed, 45 disabled
Engineers: 40 destroyed, 1 disabled
Guns lost 111 (110 destroyed, 1 disabled)
Vehicles lost 51 (51 destroyed, 0 disabled)

With dawn on April 4th, the situation was dire for USN forces off Shimushuri-jima. Their escort carriers were bloodied and their fleet carriers steaming the wrong direction, and the front-line warships of the IJN had been committed to destroying them.

The only American surface combat group that managed to interfere with the IJN warships was a destroyer force led by the CLAA Flint, which inflicted significant damage to the slow battleship element of the IJN fleet, but suffered serious losses in turn.

quote:

Day Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
BB Nagato, Shell hits 6
BB Mutsu, Shell hits 4
BB Ise, Shell hits 8
DD Hinoki, Shell hits 24, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kashi, Shell hits 26, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Kaya, Shell hits 17, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Kaede, Shell hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Tsubaki, Shell hits 20, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Tachibana, Shell hits 11, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk

Allied Ships
CLAA Flint, Shell hits 20, and is sunk
DD Borie, Shell hits 3, on fire
DD Douglas Fox
DD Hubbard, Shell hits 2, on fire
DD Wallace Lind
DD Lowry, Shell hits 3, and is sunk
DD Massey
DD Putnam, Shell hits 6, and is sunk
DD Zellars, Shell hits 1
DD Algonquin, Shell hits 4, and is sunk
DD Fat Albert
DD Ganoes Paran, Shell hits 1
DD Draconus
DD Aaron Ward II, Shell hits 5, on fire

While the slow battleship force was battered, the BB Hiei was able to close and engage the force of USN escort carriers covering the invasion. The lightly armed American ships were not capable of effectively resisting and the poorly armoured CVE's did not stand up well in a surface engagement,

quote:

Day Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 6,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 15 destroyed

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei, Shell hits 3
DD Shii, Shell hits 1
DD Sumire, Shell hits 12, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Enoki, Shell hits 4, on fire
DD Kusunoki, Shell hits 8, on fire, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CVE Anzio
CVE White Plains
CVE Ommaney Bay, Shell hits 1
CVE Cape Esperance, Shell hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
CVE Wake Island, Shell hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
CVE Windham Bay, Shell hits 7, on fire, heavy damage
CVE Makin Island, Shell hits 2
CVE Admiralty Island, Shell hits 11, and is sunk
CLAA Juneau
DD Hall
DD John Hood
DD Rowe
DE Richard S. Bull, Shell hits 1
DE Eversole, Shell hits 1, on fire
CL Hedeby

While the USN CVE's off Shimushiri-jima were being battered, the IJN added insult to injury when a further group of E-class warships managed to sneak in to range of the CVE force covering Onnekotan-jima. While lacking the speed, armament or armour of the first-rate IJN warships, these small escort ships were able to cause problems for the lightly armoured CVE's.

quote:

Day Time Surface Combat, near Onnekotan-jima at 136,48, Range 5,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
E No.4
E No.12
E No.18
E No.40, Shell hits 11, heavy fires, heavy damage

Allied Ships
CVE Corregidor
CVE Shipley Bay
CVE Munda
CVE Attu
CVE Commencement Bay
CVE Block Island, Shell hits 11, on fire
CVE Stalker
CVE Striker, Shell hits 2
CVE Activity
CVE Tracker, Shell hits 2
CVE Rajah
DE Alvin C. Cockrell
DE Conklin
DE Corbesier
DE George E. Davis
DE Dufilmo
DE Formoe
DE French
DE Goss

With the Allied CVE force harried severely by the surface warships of the IJN, it offered the Japanese squadrons based on Hokkaido and other Kurile Islands a free hand at attacking Allied shipping. Over a series of attacks, most unopposed, what had been started by the warships of the IJN was completed.

The summary of the damage:

Escort Carriers
- CVE Windham Bay: Kamikaze hit 1, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage, confirmed sunk
- CVE Anzio: Bomb hits 3, Kamikaze hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage
- CVE Bismarck Sea: Kamikaze hit 1, confirmed sunk

Battleships
- BB Texas: Bomb hits 1
- BB New York: Torpedo hits 1, Bomb hits 2, Kamikaze hits 1, on fire
- BB Arkansas: Torpedo hits 2, Bomb hits 1, heavy damage

Transports
- APA Marathon: Bomb hits 1, on fire
- APA Magoffin: Bomb hits 3, heavy fires
- LSD Shadwell: Torpedo hits 2, and is sunk
- Aprox 4 LSI/LSM ships

Destroyer Escorts
- DE John C. Butler: Kamikaze hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
- DE Walton: Kamikaze hits 1, heavy damage
- DE Eugene E. Elmore: Bomb hits 2, on fire
- DE Tabberer, Bomb hits 1, on fire
- DE Marsh: Kamikaze hits 1

Ashore, the Allies seem to fare somewhat better. While the attack on Shimushiri-jima is stalled, the Allies attack at Onnekotan-jima, knocking forts down to 5 on the 3rd, and down to level 4 on the 4th. The massively outnumbered defenders are doomed. Meanwhile, on Hokkaido, preparations are underway for the rapid reinforcement of Shimushiri-jima, with the goal of driving the Americans back into the ocean. The KB, refueled and ready for combat, will pursue the American warships for the decisive battle.

Post #: 763
RE: The Beginning of the End - 1/20/2017 11:37:30 PM   
mind_messing

The current situation in the Kuriles.

Major warship losses over the past few days.

Post #: 764
RE: The Beginning of the End - 1/31/2017 1:41:04 PM   
mind_messing

The carnage in the Kuriles continues. There's a 1945 carrier clash coming up, with a surprising outcome, and the Battle of Luzon is gearing up to be a major struggle.

I thought to take the time to make a list of lessons learned by playing the game through to 1945 in the hope that someone will find it useful.

Part of it is reference for me as well. Loka and I have agreed to start a fresh game when this one winds up, so I'll refer back to this as my own notes on the topic.

Industry

Pools cant be bombed, so overbuild everything - engines, airframe, armaments etc. HI is rarely the limiting factor for Japanese industry.

For Kamikaze airframes, build hundreds. Especially the dedicated IJA/IJN kami airframes (Myojo and Ki-115), as the training squadrons can convert to these airframes for free.

Build deep reserves of late-war combat aircraft in the hundreds. In 1945 300-400 planes can be lost in a single turn. That needs serious reserves.

Save supply where you can. I made a point of only sending supply out where absolutely needed or where extensive combat was likely. If your troops aren't fighting or likely to fight, let them starve.

Keep the IJN port-bound as much as possible. Every fuel unit used by the ships is fuel not being turned in to supply in the late-game.

Air Combat

4E's rule. Especially at night. The only way to beat them is to catch them out with overwhelming numbers, but don't expect wonders.

Night fighters are mediocre at best. Supplement them with regular fighters flying at night.

Stratosweeps can be effectively countered by large numbers of low-flying planes.

Supersizing air groups is effective, but exceptionally unwieldy in combat. Use it to boost pilot training rather than combat units.

Pilot training is critical. If I had kept overall standards higher in terms of pilot skills, Loka would have a near-impossible task. I shortcutted regular training by slashing training regimes (TB pilots only trained in NavT ect), but a better trained force of pilots would have undoubtedly led to greater results.

Build pilot pools deep for every skill. Pilot losses skyrocket in 1945. Especially for kami pilots. Start training kami pilots in 1943.

The Allied death-star CAP can't be breached. Don't try. Try instead for the amphib ships.

Night naval attack can be effective if pilot skills are high enough and moonlight is good.

High ASW skills are needed - have dedicated ASW squadrons and try to get their skills/exp as high as possible.

Naval Combat

The IJN is done as a combat force by late-1944.

Bring the heaviest ships you can. If you fight Allied DD's, bring CA's. Allied CL? Bring BB's.

If you send ships in to a surface engagement, expect to lose them all.

Allied subs get scary in 1944.

Ground Combat

Terrain and fortifications are the two key factors for IJA LCUs after 1943.

Tailor garrisons to strategic value. Divisions don't belong on isolated islands, regiments and brigades do.

Pick defensive positions in locations that can become protracted campaigns. Minadano is a good example - if the Allies land and take a base, they still have a great deal of fighting to secure the island.

Keep the tank divisions back as firebrigades rather than frontline units - they can eat VEH points like nothing else.

Post #: 765
RE: The Beginning of the End - 1/31/2017 5:03:18 PM   
Hotei

Post #: 766
RE: The Beginning of the End - 2/5/2017 12:04:49 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

The carnage in the Kuriles continues. There's a 1945 carrier clash coming up, with a surprising outcome, and the Battle of Luzon is gearing up to be a major struggle.

I thought to take the time to make a list of lessons learned by playing the game through to 1945 in the hope that someone will find it useful.

Part of it is reference for me as well. Loka and I have agreed to start a fresh game when this one winds up, so I'll refer back to this as my own notes on the topic.

Industry

Pools cant be bombed, so overbuild everything - engines, airframe, armaments etc. HI is rarely the limiting factor for Japanese industry.

For Kamikaze airframes, build hundreds. Especially the dedicated IJA/IJN kami airframes (Myojo and Ki-115), as the training squadrons can convert to these airframes for free.

Build deep reserves of late-war combat aircraft in the hundreds. In 1945 300-400 planes can be lost in a single turn. That needs serious reserves.

Save supply where you can. I made a point of only sending supply out where absolutely needed or where extensive combat was likely. If your troops aren't fighting or likely to fight, let them starve.

Keep the IJN port-bound as much as possible. Every fuel unit used by the ships is fuel not being turned in to supply in the late-game.

Air Combat

4E's rule. Especially at night. The only way to beat them is to catch them out with overwhelming numbers, but don't expect wonders.

Night fighters are mediocre at best. Supplement them with regular fighters flying at night.

Stratosweeps can be effectively countered by large numbers of low-flying planes.

Supersizing air groups is effective, but exceptionally unwieldy in combat. Use it to boost pilot training rather than combat units.

Pilot training is critical. If I had kept overall standards higher in terms of pilot skills, Loka would have a near-impossible task. I shortcutted regular training by slashing training regimes (TB pilots only trained in NavT ect), but a better trained force of pilots would have undoubtedly led to greater results.

Build pilot pools deep for every skill. Pilot losses skyrocket in 1945. Especially for kami pilots. Start training kami pilots in 1943.

The Allied death-star CAP can't be breached. Don't try. Try instead for the amphib ships.

Night naval attack can be effective if pilot skills are high enough and moonlight is good.

High ASW skills are needed - have dedicated ASW squadrons and try to get their skills/exp as high as possible.

Naval Combat

Bring the heaviest ships you can. If you fight Allied DD's, bring CA's. Allied CL? Bring BB's.

Ground Combat

Tailor garrisons to strategic value. Divisions don't belong on isolated islands, regiments and brigades do.

Pick defensive positions in locations that can become protracted campaigns. Minadano is a good example - if the Allies land and take a base, they still have a great deal of fighting to secure the island.

Keep the tank divisions back as firebrigades rather than frontline units - they can eat VEH points like nothing else.

+1

Pretty much agree with everything here.

I would modify the AC builds from hundreds in pools to thousands. As you note, you can lose +300/day easily AND in a major defensive effort like the PI or Hokkaido, that can last for MANY days ... even weeks.

You can take on the Deathstar, but the allied player has to bring it in range of several AF9's and you have to know they are coming so that you have both the groups and the AV to support them in place. If you can get (in late '44) ~2500 AC to launch, you have a chance. As you go into '45, that number goes up fast. By mid-45 you would need ~4000 AC to launch, and it is hard to scrape that number up, meaning you may not be able to do it. In all cases I find that I need about 2 fighters for each bomber, except at night. And as noted, night naval attacks can work.

Pax

Post #: 767
RE: The Beginning of the End - 2/5/2017 2:50:28 PM   
obvert

I look forward to the continued carnage. You're doing really well up North especially. Those BBs that took corps plus bombs/kamis will be out for the war.

Good list of end of game concerns for the IJ. A few additions.

quote:

Industry

Loka cautions me (and others) about building the Oscar, but for the late game it's a perfect plane. The LR escort duty is taken up by more plentiful IJA groups, even with IJN DB/TB strikes, especially since the late A6M5c-8 have a much shorter range.

Prioritise big pools in escorts, DBs, TBs, and your best interceptor for IJA and IJN.

quote:

Also, don't expand HI, but maybe expand LI in areas where you'll have resources available and keep the industry safe into deep 45, (small bases on the HI, Northern China, Korea).
quote:

Air Combat

Night bombing airfield and port is something I insist having an HR on. It just wasn't a viable tactic or places like Rabaul would have been neutralised much earlier than they were.

I prefer no more tha 50 planes per target per night. With B-29s that can still devastate, but then they're not strat bombing, so it's at least an opportunity cost, and NF and flak can deal better with smaller numbers if they are present.
quote:

I've found the opposite. NF are so much better at night that using day fighters just hands over a bunch of VPs and loses a lot of airframes and pilots. Best if used with flak in base too.

quote:

I start earlier with FPs and IJA 2E as low naval bombing is useful for them as well.

quote:

It can!! But you will suffer. It takes a lot of LBA mixed in with a KB strike that hopefully comes later in the turn and is highly coordinated. in those conditions I still hit the DS a few times in 45.

quote:

Naval Combat

I found IJN BBs still very good late for bombardment, and they did usually still hold their own as long as the Missouris weren't in the area!

quote:

Ground Combat

In a few places they do. The Marianas need divisions. Some of the Kuriles. In general though the is a good policy. It's about slowing progress. Hiding or changing troop type or amount is also useful since the Allies have good eyes on everything and must prep. so if they allocate forces, then the defences change, it can screw them up.

quote:

I love the IJA tank divisions. I think they're fine up front, but dug in. If your above rules are allowed, and VEH and ARM points are correctly stockpiled, then they should be able to recover after serious combat.

A good list for players who haven't been this far, but yes, also for those of us who need to remember the details. It's a gruelling year of war from 7/44-7/45. The Allies do things you never thought possible. But so do you!

< Message edited by obvert -- 2/5/2017 2:52:42 PM >

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 768
RE: The Beginning of the End - 2/6/2017 12:17:20 AM   
Bif1961

You mean the Iowa's

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 769
RE: The Beginning of the End - 2/6/2017 9:27:50 PM   
mind_messing

@ Pax,

Yeah, any future game is going to see a much bigger investment in aircraft production than the current game. Less so on naval production, as I'm not really convinced the extra ships made all that significant a difference. Thousands of aircraft might just do that.

In future, I think I'll build everything from destroyers downwards, but stop all the CL's and above and use the HI savings on aircraft.

Regarding the critical mass of aircraft needed to puncture the deathstar: it's possible, but very, very impractical. I could likely have done it at Luzon, but night bombing raids put paid to that.

Loka and I are thinking about starting a new game after this one, and in that one, I plan to use a great deal more of naval night bombing from Dec 7th onwards. Current thinking is a squadron or two of IJN 2E's with the best pilots from the get-go.

@Obvert

Loka doesn't like the Oscar, I do. I think it's a great little plane in all iterations. Does great at low CAP and on escort missions. Not as good as the Tony in air combat, but more flexible.

Not sold on LI expansions really. Maybe in Manchuria, but the scope for pay-off is just too small, and you'll lose it in August '45 anyways...

4E night bombing was a natural progression of air combat in our game. My views are well known, but for what it's worth, it's '45 and the HI aren't ashes.

NF's are something I'll be taking a closer look at in a new game. In this game I basically thought that there was no point in putting good pilots in those squadrons, as they never do anything anyways. That may have been a mistake - might skim the TRACOM pilots in future for NF squadrons. Maybe the EXP will make the difference.

Based on this game, I'm thinking of doubling my IJA bombing training regime to be:
- 2E: ground bombing, naval bombing (switch NavB to NavT once the Peggy T arrives)
- 1E: ground bombing, LowNav
Converting all the IJA bomber squadrons in to frontline bomber squadrons was a mistake - should have kept more back for training. This new system would hopefully mean a good pool of potential anti-shipping pilots as well as kami capable pilots.

Nah, the big IJN assets are doomed in '44/45 simply because of so many Allied subs. 1 CV, 1 CVL, 2 BB and a gaggle of other big ships out of the war due to subs.

I agree with you: the Marianas need divisions. Luzon also. The inner network of bases (Okinawa region, Bonins and Kuriles) need divisions also. In future, I'll be much more careful where the big combat units go.

IJA tank divisions are useful indeed, but they take grevious losses on retreat, and 4E attacks in poor terrain can absolutely devastate them. I underestimated this, and now running a big VEH deficit...

(in reply to Bif1961)
Post #: 770
RE: The Beginning of the End - 2/6/2017 10:27:26 PM   
PaxMondo

quote:

@ Pax,

Yeah, any future game is going to see a much bigger investment in aircraft production than the current game. Less so on naval production, as I'm not really convinced the extra ships made all that significant a difference. Thousands of aircraft might just do that.

3rd gen though. I won't spend supply on 1st or even 2nd gen. Frank is 3rd gen for me as is Sam.

quote:

In future, I think I'll build everything from destroyers downwards, but stop all the CL's and above and use the HI savings on aircraft.

I've never liked IJN CL's ... too lightly armored and armed compared to USN. I build CV/CVL/CVE and then DD and smaller ... hardly anything else.

quote:

Regarding the critical mass of aircraft needed to puncture the deathstar: it's possible, but very, very impractical. I could likely have done it at Luzon, but night bombing raids put paid to that.

Exactly, Luzon is a place to try ... but it takes timing, foresight, and luck. They don't always come together. So possible, but against a good player not probable IMHO.

quote:

Loka and I are thinking about starting a new game after this one, and in that one, I plan to use a great deal more of naval night bombing from Dec 7th onwards. Current thinking is a squadron or two of IJN 2E's with the best pilots from the get-go.

That's what I do ... all my high EXP IJN bomber pilots are night bombers ... historically accurate ... love the last NELL, build it the entire game. Great range.

quote:

Loka doesn't like the Oscar, I do. I think it's a great little plane in all iterations. Does great at low CAP and on escort missions. Not as good as the Tony in air combat, but more flexible.

Not sold on LI expansions really. Maybe in Manchuria, but the scope for pay-off is just too small, and you'll lose it in August '45 anyways...

4E night bombing was a natural progression of air combat in our game. My views are well known, but for what it's worth, it's '45 and the HI aren't ashes.

NF's are something I'll be taking a closer look at in a new game. In this game I basically thought that there was no point in putting good pilots in those squadrons, as they never do anything anyways. That may have been a mistake - might skim the TRACOM pilots in future for NF squadrons. Maybe the EXP will make the difference.

I use the Oscar until I lose the initiative. I don't like it, but there is no choice due to range.
I cannot build LI. Payback makes no sense. I'm a numbers guy and they aren't there for me. [period].
NF's work, but you have so few groups and the IJN ones are so small. I use Franks/George on night CAP because I don't have enough NF groups. If I could convert more groups to NF, I would ....

quote:

Based on this game, I'm thinking of doubling my IJA bombing training regime to be:
- 2E: ground bombing, naval bombing (switch NavB to NavT once the Peggy T arrives)
- 1E: ground bombing, LowNav
Converting all the IJA bomber squadrons in to frontline bomber squadrons was a mistake - should have kept more back for training. This new system would hopefully mean a good pool of potential anti-shipping pilots as well as kami capable pilots.

Nah, the big IJN assets are doomed in '44/45 simply because of so many Allied subs. 1 CV, 1 CVL, 2 BB and a gaggle of other big ships out of the war due to subs.

I agree with you: the Marianas need divisions. Luzon also. The inner network of bases (Okinawa region, Bonins and Kuriles) need divisions also. In future, I'll be much more careful where the big combat units go.

IJA tank divisions are useful indeed, but they take grevious losses on retreat, and 4E attacks in poor terrain can absolutely devastate them. I underestimated this, and now running a big VEH deficit...

I build ARM and VEH flat out the entire time. HI converted to ARM/VEH is just money in the bank. Ditto all of the late war engines Ha-4x ... build them flat out as long as I can. HI is only used to build that stuff, so I build it. Mid-44 I want 150K VEH min in my bank, more is always better. I've played Armageddon too many times and seen how fast the VEH points can disappear once the SOV activate.

Pax

Post #: 771
RE: The Beginning of the End - 2/7/2017 5:08:53 PM   
mind_messing

@Pax,

My thinking regarding the older, marginal airframes is "the more, the better". 1945 has a lot of the kami training squadrons, and it's much better for them to fly fasters Frank a's or older Jack/George models than the Oscar/Zero's that they normally use.
Same goes for the bombers - even outdated Sallies are better than the biplanes.

Yup, my thinking is the same for the IJN CL's - too late to be of any use. Much rather have the HI for aircraft.

I'm going to roll the dice again against the death-star before the game is out, but I intent to keep it for the Japan invasion proper. One last push all out.

I've loaded up Scen 1 as Japan to have a poke around, and currently I think I'll pull one of the IJN 2E squadrons (probably one of the smaller ones), fill it with the best NavB/NavT pilots in the service and set it to bombing in China or somewhere to build it's EXP sky-high. Once the IJN training program starts to kick off, I'll rotate pilots out as their EXP reaches a decent threshold (I think 70 EXP, but we'll see how achievable it is). In all honesty, in this game I didn't really capitalize on using China as a factory to produce high EXP bombing pilots - I don't intend to make that mistake again/

One thing I need to double check with is resizing some IJN 1E fighter squadrons that use the Zero NF model. IIRC they can then be upgraded to one of the better NF 2E airframes. A extra size 81 NF squadron can be as good an assurance of resistance against night raids as anything else. I agree on the need to back them up with regular fighters, but the problem is that the airframes most suited to anti-4E work tend to be the ones most in demand for daylight CAP...

I severely underestimated VEH points usage - turned most of them off in 1942 and 1943. In future, they'll be working full pelt. Japanese tanks may not be much against Allied tanks, but they're better than nothing. A lesson learned. I might not spend the armaments stockpile this game however, despite some serious rebuilding of units. I chalk it down to just not realizing just how hard 1944 and 1945 are on the IJA in terms of combat losses, but reinforcements as well. Even so, I like your visualization of it as money in the bank - one way or another they'll get used.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 772
RE: The Beginning of the End - 2/8/2017 7:17:50 AM   
PaxMondo

quote:

@Pax,

One thing I need to double check with is resizing some IJN 1E fighter squadrons that use the Zero NF model. IIRC they can then be upgraded to one of the better NF 2E airframes. A extra size 81 NF squadron can be as good an assurance of resistance against night raids as anything else. I agree on the need to back them up with regular fighters, but the problem is that the airframes most suited to anti-4E work tend to be the ones most in demand for daylight CAP...

Yes, if your HR's allow for re-size to 81, then NF's become more interesting. Once you get a group to an NF model, you can then change to the best one. The other issue with the IJN NF's is that none have armor. Anyway, you are also correct that you want your best fighter model on either CAP or Night CAP and so yes you need a ton of your last model fighter. George/Jack work well in the night CAP role through '46 ... both are fast enough, have 4x20mm, armor, and decent DUR. So I tend to use those pools in night CAP roles as I replace the day airgroups with SAM/Shinden. At some point, I have enough production to start putting Sam/Shinden into night CAP.

Pax

Post #: 773
RE: The Beginning of the End - 2/8/2017 12:42:05 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

quote:

@Pax,

Yes, if your HR's allow for re-size to 81, then NF's become more interesting. Once you get a group to an NF model, you can then change to the best one. The other issue with the IJN NF's is that none have armor. Anyway, you are also correct that you want your best fighter model on either CAP or Night CAP and so yes you need a ton of your last model fighter. George/Jack work well in the night CAP role through '46 ... both are fast enough, have 4x20mm, armor, and decent DUR. So I tend to use those pools in night CAP roles as I replace the day airgroups with SAM/Shinden. At some point, I have enough production to start putting Sam/Shinden into night CAP.

Yeah, 81 size squadrons help, but there's only one or two IJN squadrons that you can do this trick with.

Then there's the fact that the early IJN NF's suck and the good ones are too late to be of any use...

I didn't realize the importance of Sam/Shinden in this game - not a mistake I'll repeat.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 774
RE: The Beginning of the End - 2/8/2017 10:26:03 PM   
PaxMondo

I spend a lot of supply to pull in Sam and Frank. Others? not so much ... I need fighters, competitive ones. I'm never going to get competitive bombers that matter, at least not LB's which are what you need ... payloads are too small and never increase ...

Pax

Post #: 775
The Chinese Are Coming! - 2/12/2017 9:54:41 PM   
mind_messing

April 7th to April 23rd, 1945

North Pacific

The carnage in the Kuriles continues.

The bulk of the IJN's remaining BB's and CA's are mauled by Allied carrier air power attempting an intercept off Shimushuri-jima on April 10th. This was my Leyte Gulf, but it would have been nice to have forced the Allied CV's into a surface action.

IJN combat power is now exceptionally limited. All combat ships are pressed in to service; damage is not a consideration. At least two IJN capital ships are currently operating with un-repaired torpedo holes in them.

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Shimushiri-jima at 133,53

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 34 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-100-I Tony x 10

Allied aircraft
Avenger II x 16
F4U-1A Corsair x 21
F4U-1D Corsair x 26
F6F-3 Hellcat x 40
F6F-5 Hellcat x 24
SB2C-3 Helldiver x 71
SB2C-4 Helldiver x 40
TBM-1C Avenger x 83
TBM-3 Avenger x 38

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-100-I Tony: 3 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C-3 Helldiver: 8 damaged
SB2C-3 Helldiver: 1 destroyed by flak
SB2C-4 Helldiver: 1 damaged
SB2C-4 Helldiver: 1 destroyed by flak
TBM-1C Avenger: 8 damaged
TBM-1C Avenger: 1 destroyed by flak
TBM-3 Avenger: 7 damaged

Japanese Ships
BB Hiei, Bomb hits 13, heavy fires
CA Tone, Bomb hits 10, Torpedo hits 3, and is sunk
DD Haruzuki, Bomb hits 3, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CA Chikuma, Bomb hits 9, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CA Furutaka, Bomb hits 11, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Sagiri, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CA Suzuya, Bomb hits 11, on fire
DD Yukikaze, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

The real combat occurs on April 12th, where the KB makes its shot against the US Fleet in the Kuriles. It goes...poorly...

quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Etorofu at 130,57

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 40 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 36
A7M2 Sam x 48
B6N2a Jill x 10
B7A2 Grace x 35
D4Y4 Judy x 129

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 116
F6F-5 Hellcat x 34

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 11 destroyed
A7M2 Sam: 3 destroyed
B6N2a Jill: 5 destroyed
B7A2 Grace: 12 destroyed, 7 damaged
B7A2 Grace: 1 destroyed by flak
D4Y4 Judy: 51 destroyed, 13 damaged
D4Y4 Judy: 5 destroyed by flak

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1D Corsair: 1 destroyed
F6F-5 Hellcat: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
CVL Cowpens
CV Illustrious, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage Sunk, possibly, but out of the war at any rate
CA Pittsburgh
CB Alaska, Torpedo hits 1, on fire Shouldn't be a factor for a few months at least?
CA Bilskirnir
CL Mjollnir
CL Springfield
BC Renown
CVL Bataan
CV Lexington
CA Tuscaloosa
CVL Belleau Wood

The Allied response is massive, but I had expected much, much worse.

quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Etorofu at 127,51

Weather in hex: Heavy rain

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 59
A7M2 Sam x 82
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 10

Allied aircraft
F4U-1A Corsair x 21
F4U-1D Corsair x 26
F6F-3 Hellcat x 39
F6F-5 Hellcat x 60
SB2C-3 Helldiver x 57
SB2C-4 Helldiver x 61
TBM-1C Avenger x 68
TBM-3 Avenger x 24

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 2 destroyed
A7M2 Sam: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1D Corsair: 1 destroyed
F6F-3 Hellcat: 1 destroyed
F6F-5 Hellcat: 4 destroyed
SB2C-3 Helldiver: 8 destroyed, 13 damaged
SB2C-4 Helldiver: 8 destroyed, 5 damaged
SB2C-4 Helldiver: 3 destroyed by flak
TBM-1C Avenger: 7 destroyed, 12 damaged
TBM-1C Avenger: 2 destroyed by flak
TBM-3 Avenger: 1 damaged

Japanese Ships
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CVL Ryujo, Bomb hits 1, on fire
CV Soryu
CV Hiryu
CV Katsuragi, Torpedo hits 1, on fire
DD Nara
CV Kaga
CV Zuikaku
CVL Shoho
CV Akagi, Bomb hits 4, on fire, heavy damage
CV Taiho

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Etorofu at 127,51

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 15,000 feet.

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 46
A7M2 Sam x 43
Ki-44-IIc Tojo x 23

Allied aircraft
F4U-1A Corsair x 21
F4U-1D Corsair x 11
F6F-3 Hellcat x 38
F6F-5 Hellcat x 73
SB2C-3 Helldiver x 38
SB2C-4 Helldiver x 39
TBM-1C Avenger x 41
TBM-3 Avenger x 36

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 1 destroyed
A7M2 Sam: 1 destroyed
Ki-44-IIc Tojo: 2 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-3 Hellcat: 2 destroyed
F6F-5 Hellcat: 1 destroyed
SB2C-3 Helldiver: 14 destroyed, 6 damaged
SB2C-4 Helldiver: 2 destroyed, 7 damaged
TBM-1C Avenger: 9 destroyed, 7 damaged
TBM-1C Avenger: 2 destroyed by flak
TBM-3 Avenger: 5 destroyed, 9 damaged

Japanese Ships
CVL Zuiho, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage Sunk
CV Akagi, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage Sunk
CV Taiho, Bomb hits 3, on fire
CV Soryu, Bomb hits 1
CV Unryu, Torpedo hits 1
CVL Chiyoda
CV Amagi
CVL Chitose, Torpedo hits 1
CVL Shoho, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage Sunk
CVL Ryujo, Bomb hits 1, heavy fires
DD Hanazuki
DD Yoizuki

The KB retires to the Sea of Japan to restock planes and pilots. A few CV's are down for needed repairs, so their air groups are dismounted to fight on as LBA.

Elsewhere in the Kuriles, the Allies throw more troops on to Shimushuri-jima while the IJA flies troops in from Hokkaido. Allied troops clearly aren't preped and take grievous disablements on the beaches. However, a deliberate attack drops the forts on the island to level 5.

In the air, the Ki-83 rains supreme in daytime sweeps over Onnekotan-jima. My hope is to keep the pressure on this base to force a commitment of fighters and postpone the day where bombers are based from the island.

At sea, the slow attrition of the IJN continues. I'm scrapping up SCTF's to keep harrassing the US Navy, but the disparity in numbers and quality is staggering.

Central Pacific

Bar milk-runs of bombers on isolated bases, all is quiet.

Luzon

The Allies land at Aparri. With the USN so close to Japan in the Kuriles, I decide not to commit to interdicting this landing. Around 2 Allied divisions easily take the base, but the defenders hold on long enough to enable an orderly retreat to fortress positions around Luzon.

Formosa

Formosa is now a front-line base and being treated as such. A significant fraction of the air power from Luzon has withdrawn here, and will resist the Allies as best it can.

China

The IJA continues its general trend of withdrawing eastwards, towards Manchuria, offering no resistance to the Allies. Trading space for time is the order of the day.

An Allied flying column breaks past IJA lines in Western China and recaptures Chungking, freeing the Chinese units that were destroyed in 1942. This effectively bursts China wide open for the next two months. My plan of action is to refocus as many assets around Hankow and try to fight it out in the Central China Plain and hope that feeding the Chinese hoard gives the Allies a logistical headache without control of Canton/Hong Kong.

Home Islands

The capture of south-eastern China gives the Allies possession of excellent B-29 bases in easy reach of Japan. Kyushu and Western Honshu are now front-line zones. Kyushu's airbases are now home to most of the air power from Luzon, while Western Honshu holds most of the IJN CV fighters made homeless by either sinkings or battle damage.

The general situation is good. Japanese fighter strength is strong, even if pilot quality isn't what I'd like, and the Allies can't reach the major industrial targets with fighters yet. A major batch of fighter pilots is due to be harvested from the dedicated training units shortly, which will give me a good reserve, and the late-war aircraft are starting to arrive.

The Ki-83 is now used in 3 squadrons for offensive purposes. The Ki-94 is used by a couple of high EXP squadrons. The Ki-84 is the mainstay of IJA strength, backed up by the Tojo, Oscar and Tony.

The IJN is still mainly depending on the Jack and George. Recent CV actions have drained the pools of Sam's, and they are needed for the CV's as a priority. However, the Shinden arrives in two weeks, and is earmarked for the elite IJN fighter squadrons.

Kamikaze training continues on a massive scale.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 776
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 2/12/2017 10:00:32 PM   
obvert

Rough few days.

Keep up the solid defence!

Post #: 777
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 2/12/2017 10:11:53 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

Rough few days.

My attitude is somewhat ambivalent to the losses.

The fuel shortage is becoming so chronic that the loss of a few CV's is actually some respite.

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 778
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 2/12/2017 10:35:06 PM   
Lowpe

That you are here, losing this now is a great testimony.

Great advice earlier, especially about letting IJA troops eat their shoes.

Sam and Frank. Sam and Frank. I repeat that to myself a lot.

I have had the same ambivalence to losses too.

Post #: 779
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 2/12/2017 10:53:42 PM   
obvert

quote:

quote:

Rough few days.

My attitude is somewhat ambivalent to the losses.

The fuel shortage is becoming so chronic that the loss of a few CV's is actually some respite.

I recognise this! The air battles are fun late. You can still do some damage there, and some of the KB is left. It'd be fun if you could shoot them past the DS on a final journey into the amphibs and get one turn of glory before the end.

Post #: 780
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: Skynet Page: <<   < prev  24 25 [26] 27 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI