Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: The Chinese Are Coming!

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Chinese Are Coming! Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 [27] 28   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 2/13/2017 11:28:32 AM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Lowpe

That you are here, losing this now is a great testimony.

Great advice earlier, especially about letting IJA troops eat their shoes.

Sam and Frank. Sam and Frank. I repeat that to myself a lot.

I have had the same ambivalence to losses too.

Well, that's what I keep telling myself - most IJ players don't keep the KB in to 1944, let alone 1945. Granted, I did get the Mini-KB wiped in 1944, which in retrospect was incredibly stupid.

Not letting the IJA starve is one reason why I think so many Japanese players have problems with supply in the late-war. Combat churns up supplies, bombing even more so. The combat penalties aren't actually all that severe for supply (-75% for NO supply at all, and one can assume some supply mitigates this), and even without beans and bullets the Japanese troops can still delay a great deal. There's a good example on Sumatra just now, where two IJA divisions in good terrain behind forts are holding off an equal force of Commonwealth units despite daily bombing and lack of supply.

In any future game, I'm not going to bother with R&D of the late-war wonder-weapons. The Sam and Shinden will be the IJN's late-war bread and butter, while the Frank and Ki-83 will do for the IJA.

quote:

ORIGINAL: obvert

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

Rough few days.

Keep up the solid defence!

My attitude is somewhat ambivalent to the losses.

The fuel shortage is becoming so chronic that the loss of a few CV's is actually some respite.

I recognise this! The air battles are fun late. You can still do some damage there, and some of the KB is left. It'd be fun if you could shoot them past the DS on a final journey into the amphibs and get one turn of glory before the end.

I'm keeping what's left of the KB back until August, at which point they'll do their best to run down the Soviet Pacific Fleet - I really don't want Soviet SCTF's in the Sea of Japan...

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 781
RE: Skynet - 2/22/2017 9:51:37 PM   
mind_messing

April 24th to May 5th, 1945

North Pacific

The KB is bust. They deploy back in to NorPac on April 28th, and make a strike at Onnekotan-jima's port. For heavy losses, they sink several Allied TK's providing fuel for Allied naval operations in the theatre.

On May 5th, they sortie north again to attempt to catch an Allied cruiser force operating against Shimushiri-jima. Dawn finds a superior fleet of Allied fleet CV's. The battle is short and one-sided...

quote:

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Etorofu at 130,48

Weather in hex: Partial cloud

Raid detected at 80 NM, estimated altitude 11,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 34 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 44
A7M2 Sam x 21

Allied aircraft
F4U-1A Corsair x 29
F4U-1D Corsair x 90
F6F-3 Hellcat x 24
F6F-5 Hellcat x 54
SB2C-3 Helldiver x 42
SB2C-4 Helldiver x 82
TBM-1C Avenger x 30
TBM-3 Avenger x 70

Japanese aircraft losses
A6M5c Zero: 3 destroyed
A7M2 Sam: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1A Corsair: 1 destroyed
F4U-1D Corsair: 3 destroyed
F6F-3 Hellcat: 1 destroyed
F6F-5 Hellcat: 1 destroyed
SB2C-3 Helldiver: 3 damaged
SB2C-3 Helldiver: 1 destroyed by flak
SB2C-4 Helldiver: 5 damaged
SB2C-4 Helldiver: 2 destroyed by flak
TBM-1C Avenger: 2 damaged
TBM-3 Avenger: 8 destroyed, 6 damaged
TBM-3 Avenger: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CV Kasagi, Bomb hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Hiryu, Bomb hits 5, Torpedo hits 1, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Kaga, Bomb hits 9, heavy fires, heavy damage
CV Soryu, Bomb hits 7, heavy fires, heavy damage
CVL Chiyoda, Bomb hits 4, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Fuyuzuki, Bomb hits 3, and is sunk
CV Zuikaku, Bomb hits 14, Torpedo hits 1, on fire, heavy damage
DD Niizuki, Bomb hits 1, on fire
DD Tamanami
DD Shimozuki
DD Wakazuki
CS Nisshin, Torpedo hits 2, heavy damage

The IJN's counterstrike is butchered by CAP, and the Allied ships escape without damage.

With this, the Allied freedom of action in the North Pacific is nearly absolute.

On top of the carrier losses, the IJN loses a gaggle of E-class ships, mostly in abortive fast transport and bombardment missions around Shimushiri-jima.

In the air, we've been keeping the Allies on the back foot over Onnekotan-jima for the most part. Ki-83 sweeps have been effective, but it's difficult to follow up on the successful sweeps with bombing raids, and the Allied airbase continues to expand.

Massive number of kamikaze planes are being readied on Hokkaido and Northern Honshu.

Central Pacific

Not much.

Luzon

Clark and Manila are now invested. The Allies have vastly superior troops in terms of quality and quantity, but hopefully terrain and forts will keep the struggle somewhat prolonged. Supply is being flown in from Formosa.

Japanese positions at Mauban, outside of Manila, are over-ran, with the defenders retreating back to Manila.

Allied naval assests bombard Bataan, and a extended shootout with Japanese CD emplacements ends inconclusively.

China

The reborn Chinese army is marching all over the place, while the main Japanese force concentrates around Hankow to hopefully stall to the end of the month.

In southern China, the 4 Japanese tank divisions jump a Chinese corps at Amoy, and will likely destroy it. On top of this, a bunch of 4E bombers targeting the Japanese tanks are destroyed by Japanese fighters flying from Formosa.

Canton is invested by several Chinese units, but PB's are still able to smuggle supply in as required.

Formosa

Things here are as ready as they can be. All the bases have at least a division defending them, and there's a strong mobile reserve in the centre of the Island to respond to any landing.

Kami aircraft are ready to be based in if needed.

Home Islands

We're reading the end-game here. The supply drain from constant CAP over the major industrial centres, training missions, fort building and LCU's drawing replacements is starting to bite. Supply should last for some time yet even at the present rate, and given emergency measures should even stabilise, but there's no doubt that the Japanese war machine is starting to run out.

Still, it's an impressive sight. Thosuands of aircraft are either flying to defend the Home Islands, or training pilots in the skills with which to defend Japan.

The Shinden is now online, and will be assigned to crack IJN fighter units. With the KB broken, I will try to draw the crack pilots from the CV air units in to a single Shinden unit to hopefully break Allied sweeps.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 782
RE: Skynet - 2/22/2017 10:11:24 PM   
Lowpe

Impressive performance!!!!!

(in reply to mind_messing)
Post #: 783
RE: Skynet - 2/22/2017 11:37:19 PM   
Bullwinkle58

If you could, would you detail the actions of the Chinese Horde, reborn. It's a rare event, and I'm interested in how well it can really do with the supply situation as it is.

The Moose

Post #: 784
RE: Skynet - 2/23/2017 8:45:07 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bullwinkle58

If you could, would you detail the actions of the Chinese Horde, reborn. It's a rare event, and I'm interested in how well it can really do with the supply situation as it is.

Sure!

The horde of once-dead appeared on April 19th, and since then about 50 Chinese units have popped up. They've easily manhandled the five IJA divisions I had guarding the Chungking approaches, and will destroy another division and a few brigades that were garrisoning the Chungking plain.

Their initial performance has been so-so. The big Chinese corps (read: the ones built up in India and well-supplied) shock-attacked my five division stack across a river and threw them back in chaos, but the newly resurrected units are struggling to kill that single division south-west of Chungking. The former Chengtu garrison was simply overwhelmed my sheer raw AV.

I've mixed views on the whole issue. On the very basic level of hexside control, it's a major plus. Loka has lots of units (all of which will break into A/B/C components) that he can simply swarm behind my lines. Raw AV is raw AV, even if it's of poor quality, and has no backing artillery.

It's a lot of extra supply load, but he can run convoys to Hanoi with impunity. The airbases in South-west China are steadily building up, so he has been developing the logistics network.

On the other hand, the Chinese units are squishy. I caught the "A" fragment of a Chinese corps this turn with 4 IJA tank divisions - 199 combat squads and 273 non-combat squads, plus 13 engineers and 18 guns wiped out. It's VP's if it goes well for me, but Chinese devices are cheap VP wise. He can trade 2 Chinese squads for every Japanese squad and still come ahead VP wise.

I suspect that he'll use the Chinese as shtrafniki - any river crossings or extended sieges to be conducted, he'll use the Chinese and keep the Allied units back for the movement war. I'm basing this off the fact that it seems to be mostly the Chinese settling in for the siege of Canton/Hong Kong and that it's what I'd do in his position. The upside is that I doubt he'll be taking many dense urban hexes with level 6 forts and 2k AV with Chinese AV bereft of organic artillery.

It's a sore blow, but inevitable given my reluctance to fight for China. It's just a case of running down the clock. I need to draw out China as an actual point of interest for the Allies until the end of June, at which point everyone but the rearguard jumps on a train and heads for Manchuria.

< Message edited by mind_messing -- 2/23/2017 8:57:29 PM >

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 785
RE: Skynet - 2/25/2017 1:58:10 PM   
PaxMondo

Yeah, those 720 AV CHI ID's are tough on DEF when they get above 50 exp, but always struggle on OFF. As you note though, they make good river crossing fodder.

Pax

Post #: 786
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/11/2017 11:24:43 PM   
mind_messing

May 6th to May 26th, 1945

The war in Europe has rumbled to a close, but the War in the Pacific still rages on.

China

The Allied advance pincers around Hankow. The northern wing of the Allied army (26 units) flanks the river city from the north via Ichang, while a second (mostly Chinese) army marches to Nanchang, seizing that city.

The main Japanese field army at Hankow is retreating north-east, to Singyang, and thence back to Kaifeng to stall the Allied advance further. Additional units from the Peiping and surrounding environs are railing to Singyang to combine with the forces pulling out of Hankow. I'm hoping to stall long enough at Singyang to rail everyone back to Peiping and leave the North China Plain to the Allies.

Meanwhile the second Japanese field force, Panzerarmee China, is retreating back to Shanghai via Chuhsien . Considering that the majority of the Allied units around Nanchang are Chinese, I'm hoping to get a good battle or two against the Chinese before the tanks are railed to Manchuria. The terrain west of Shanghai is ideal for the delaying tank action I have in mind, as there's plenty of good roads and no open terrain for the 4E's to massacre my tanks.

Canton and Hong Kong are firmly invested, with AV being about equal. Both these bases have level 6 forts, and x3 terrain, so the siege will drag on.

I've gathered a tin-can fleet of APD's and E class ships to be based out of Shanghai for bombardment missions down the Yangste. It's about the only use I can find for these ships at this late stage, and at least they'll be protected against any Allied raids.

Luzon

Clark Field falls, throwing the defenders back to Bataan. Only around 700 Japanese AV is left to defend Bataan, against something like 4k Allied AV. Forts are at 6, but supply is terminal. Once Bataan goes, Loka can sail his BB's in to Manila Bay and smash the city with impunity.

However, it's May '45 and Manila is still in Japanese hands. The Allies are being methodical here, with around 11k AV squaring off against less than 4k Japanese AV. Supply is starting to run down as the constant bombardments are starting to have an impact.

I suspect that Loka will wait till Bataan is cleared before he stacks everything into Manila and attacks backed up with monumental 4E and BB bombardments.

As a side note for the utility of level 9 forts - there was one raid by 100 4E bombers on Manila one turn on ground attack missions - no IJ casualties were reported in the CR. Lots of disruption, but no losses.

North Pacific

Minor air engagements here and there, but nothing serious. Currently I'm content to play on the defensive in the air while building my air groups up for the final battle.

An interesting naval engagement occurs (interesting because it's not me throwing away E-class ships in the hope of running in to something juciy and undefended) when the CA Suzuya and CLAA Natori and company run in to an Allied DE force bombarding Shimushiri-jima:

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 133,50, Range 4,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 2
CLAA Natori, Shell hits 1, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Wakazuki
DD Shimozuki
DD Tamanami
DD Sakura
DD Nire
DD Yadake, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
DE Hodges, Shell hits 53, and is sunk
DE Holt, Shell hits 20, and is sunk
DE Jobb, Shell hits 11, and is sunk
DE Daniel A. Joy, Shell hits 24, and is sunk
DE Charles J. Kimmel, Shell hits 22, and is sunk
DE Lough, Shell hits 35, and is sunk
DE McNulty, Shell hits 39, and is sunk
DE Peiffer, Shell hits 14, on fire
DE Riley, Shell hits 35, and is sunk
DE Tinsman, Shell hits 3, on fire

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Night Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 133,50, Range 5,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 3
DD Wakazuki, Shell hits 1
DD Shimozuki, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Tamanami
DD Sakura, Shell hits 2
DD Nire
DD Yadake

Allied Ships
CL Wilkes-Barre
CL Duluth
CL Topeka, Shell hits 1
DD Hall, Shell hits 2
DD Lewis Hancock
DD Healy
DD Heermann
DD John Hood
DD Howorth
DD Luce, Shell hits 1
DD McNair
DD Mertz
DD Owen
DD Halsey Powell

We get a torpedo hit on one of the CL's from Frances flying night naval attack. Hopefully not FOW...

Despite the unfortunate Natori and the DD running in to torpedoes, this was an excellent trade for us in terms of VPs. The Suzuya now has EXP levels of 92/99. I've gave the command of Suzuya and the squadron to Asakura Bunji (the best IJN surface commander) and I'm reinfocing it with what fleet DD's I have left. I

I'm still building warships, as I've shipyard points in the pool and ships arrive fully fueled, It's mostly E's and the sub-par DD designs, but I'll take them nonetheless.

Home Islands

The first B-29 raids on industry in Japan occur. Damage is minimal, with night fighters doing good work disrupting raids and weather doing the rest. The most destructive raid occurs at Kobe, where B-29s flying at 2000ft set plenty of fires.

quote:

ight Air attack on Kobe , at 108,59

Weather in hex: Moderate rain

Raid detected at 36 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 11 minutes

Japanese aircraft
C6N1-S Myrt x 14
J1N1-Sa Irving x 4

Allied aircraft
B-29-25 Superfort x 11

Japanese aircraft losses
C6N1-S Myrt: 1 destroyed
J1N1-Sa Irving: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
B-29-25 Superfort: 4 damaged
B-29-25 Superfort: 1 destroyed by flak

Manpower hits 52
Fires 26250

The fires burn for a couple of days, but the overall damage is pretty limited. 60 or so points of damage, divided between an engine factory, LI, HI and resources. Needless to say I've bulked up the night CAP here with an additional fighter squadron.

Overall, the Japanese air power in the Home Islands is becoming intimidating. I've a half-dozen squadrons of Shinden's now in operation, backed up by several squadrons using the Ki-94 and Ki-83. In essence all the crack IJA pilots are in these two airframes. Unless Loka begins a targeted campaign to cripple my production of these aircraft, his sweeps will be facing serious opposition.

Of course, this does nothing for night bombing raids, so there's still an emphasis of maximising night CAP effectiveness. I'm trying to ensure that every major industrial base has at least 50 regular fighters backing up the night fighters, just to give the CAP some much needed endurance when the B-29s come through.

Nearly at the end of May. Then it's just 120 days to go...

Post #: 787
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/17/2017 2:08:20 PM   
mind_messing

May 27th to June 5th, 1945

Another month. Not many left.

Nicely, the Toka kami airframe goes in to production, which will hopefully be a nice boost over the training trash the IJN has for most of the kami squadrons. There's also a new radar set for IJA AF units, which is also nice.#

South China Sea

The Allied CV deathstar is cursing through these waters, and currently is a few hexes west of Kyushu. I've refrained from massed air attacks on the fleet as it's pointless. I've a few bomber squadrons on night settings around to annoy them, but I refuse to expend aircraft on Allied naval units until I see amphibs. That's where the real VP gains are to be made.

Loka is evidently using his 100% CAP settings again, as there's actually been no strikes from his flight decks. I suspect he's overloaded them with fighters and sent them in to the South China Sea to try and attract moths to a flamethrower.

My response - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3ofvkIEf2Y

China

Faced with an Allied flanking march via Ichang, I pull back my main infantry stack in China to Singyang. By accident, I leave most of the artillery park behind, but this is a mixed blessing, as it will delay the Allies for a day or so, giving the infantry time to pack on to trains and head for the northern Chinese cities. There's a weak Chinese corps blocking the rail line, but we should be able to brush that aside.

Panzerarmee China is on trains heading past Shanghai at the moment, also bound for the North China Plain. I'm hoping to use this force to jump the occasional Chinese corps that emerges from the wilderness.

The remnants of the Chungking defence force have, after a gruelling cross-country march, arrived in the open near Nanchang, and are also moving to link up with the tank force.

There's the occasional engagement between USN PT boats and my rag-tag river fleet on the Yangtse.

Luzon

Bataan falls, and the first deliberate attack brings Manila's forts down to level 8, but for heavy Allied losses.

With Bataan cleared, the Allies have started to bring warships in to Manila Bay to bombard. Despite this, I'm pretty confidant that Manila will hold out for the rest of June.

North Pacific

It's still a knife-fight here. On Shimushiri-jima, the Allies have the unquestionable advantage, but they're not having much success at pushing my troops off. What operational warships the IJN has are still doing what they can to defend the island and get supply in.

The CA Suzuya, the only IJN capital ship not in repair (and the last CA), leads a destroyer force to intercept an Allied bombardment force in the Kuriles. The initial engagement goes well:

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Onnekotan-jima at 136,48, Range 9,000 Yards

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya, Shell hits 9
DD Wakazuki
DD Yoizuki, Shell hits 2
DD Tamanami, Shell hits 1
DD Fujinami, Shell hits 3
DD Sakura
DD Nire, Shell hits 1, on fire
DD Odake, Shell hits 1
DD Hatsuzakura
DD Kaba, Shell hits 12, and is sunk
DD Hatsuume, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Yadake, Shell hits 23, and is sunk
DD Satsuki
DD Hanekimo, Shell hits 1

Allied Ships
CL Wilkes-Barre, Shell hits 4, on fire
CL Topeka, Shell hits 4, heavy fires Reported sunk
DD Lewis Hancock, Shell hits 1
DD Healy
DD Heermann, Shell hits 1
DD John Hood
DD Howorth, Shell hits 1
DD Luce
DD McNair
DD Mertz, Shell hits 5, heavy fires
DD Owen
DD Halsey Powell, Shell hits 2, on fire

However, subsequent engagements lead to the loss of a further 4 IJN destroyers, so it chalks up as a tactical draw and an undoubted US strategic victory.

The Suzuya stays on station for a few days in the hope of another favourable engagement, but the party is ruined by the arrival of US CV's in the Kuriles on June 3rd:

quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Uruppu-jima at 130,53

Weather in hex: Light cloud

Raid detected at 75 NM, estimated altitude 12,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 32 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 2

Allied aircraft
F4U-1D Corsair x 30
F6F-5 Hellcat x 30
SB2C-3 Helldiver x 12
TBM-3 Avenger x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
A7M2 Sam: 1 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
SB2C-3 Helldiver: 6 damaged
SB2C-3 Helldiver: 1 destroyed by flak

Japanese Ships
CA Suzuya, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
DD Hatsuzakura, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DD Yaezakura

The Suzuya slinks back to Ominato for repairs. The IJN now has nothing left operational bigger than a destroyer.

Following up on this, the Allies land more troops on Shimushiri-jima on the afternoon of the 4th June.

On June 5th, however, the Empire strikes back. Another sacrificial flotilla of E-class ships draws off the surface cover of the US Fleet - the CB Guam sinks the three E-class ships without much hassle, but allows a trio of IJN destroyers with handpicked captains to get at the covering force.

quote:

Night Time Surface Combat, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51, Range 5,000 Yards

Allied aircraft
no flights

Allied aircraft losses
F4U-1D Corsair: 19 destroyed

Japanese Ships
DD Takanami
DD Tamanami
DD Yaezakura
DD Katsura

Allied Ships
CVE Corregidor
CVE White Plains
CVE Ommaney Bay
CVE Munda
CVE Gilbert Islands, Shell hits 2
CVE Cape Gloucester, Shell hits 8, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CVE Stalker, Shell hits 1
CVE Striker, Shell hits 7, on fire
CVE Tracker, Shell hits 8, on fire
CVE Rajah, Shell hits 1
DE George E. Davis
DE William Seiverling
DE Stafford
DE Richard W. Suesens
DE Lawrence C. Taylor
DE Leland E. Thomas
DE Walter C. Wann
DE Rudderow
DE Chaffee
DE Day

While not as extensive a victory as I would have liked, the sinking of a 100 VP CVE is a bonus. What is even better is that the Allied CVE TF commander decides to withdraw, leaving the surface ships without cover come the dawn.

The Japanese Kami hordes on Hokkaido were waiting...

quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Shimushiri-jima at 133,51

Weather in hex: Clear sky

Raid detected at 69 NM, estimated altitude 13,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 25 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A6M5c Zero x 32
N1K5-J George x 17
Ki-32 Mary x 27

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-32 Mary: 12 destroyed
Ki-32 Mary: 5 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
CB Guam, Kamikaze hits 4, on fire All bounce off armour, but lots of topside damage
DD Caperton
DD Spence
DD Tingey
DD Wiley
DD Franks

Afternoon Air attack on TF, near Shimushiri-jima at 132,51

Raid detected at 120 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 36 minutes

Japanese aircraft
A7M2 Sam x 1
P1Y2 Frances x 22

Allied aircraft
P-51D Mustang x 3

No Japanese losses

Allied aircraft losses
P-51D Mustang: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
APD Amesbury, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
DE Frybarger
DE Cronin, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
APD Kline, Torpedo hits 1, and is sunk
CL Emerald
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Raid detected at 154 NM, estimated altitude 18,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 42 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B7A2 Grace x 33
Ki-83 x 47

Japanese aircraft losses
B7A2 Grace: 1 destroyed

Allied Ships
DE England, Bomb hits 4, and is sunk
CL Emerald, Bomb hits 6, heavy fires, heavy damage
APD Arthur L. Bristol, Bomb hits 1, Kamikaze hits 2, and is sunk
APA Chilton, Bomb hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
DE Frybarger, Bomb hits 2, heavy fires, heavy damage

Raid detected at 52 NM, estimated altitude 8,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 17 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N2a Jill x 32

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N2a Jill: 18 destroyed

Allied Ships
APA Chilton, Kamikaze hits 6, and is sunk
DE Frybarger, Kamikaze hits 3, and is sunk
CL Emerald, heavy fires, heavy damage

Raid detected at 66 NM, estimated altitude 20,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 18 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-67-Ia (T) Peggy x 13
Ki-83 x 47

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-67-Ia (T) Peggy: 3 damaged
Ki-67-Ia (T) Peggy: 1 destroyed by flak

Allied Ships
CA Tuscaloosa, Torpedo hits 2, on fire, heavy damage

Aircraft Attacking:
12 x Ki-67-Ia (T) Peggy launching torpedoes at 200 feet
Naval Attack: 1 x 18in Type 91 Torpedo

There are also sundry attacks on LST's in the hex, but I'll omit from reporting them. Unsurprisingly a kami sinks an LST pretty nicely.

In the air, there was also extensive combat about Shimushiri-jima as Ki-83s on LRCAP interdicted Allied CV air efforts to bomb the fleeing IJN DD's.

At the end of the day, air losses were roughly 100 Allied (45 Corsiars lost on the CVE evidently) to 230 IJN (including about 100 odd Kami aircraft). While I didn't catch the Allied amphibs with troops aboard, I'll nevertheless take the victory.

Post #: 788
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/17/2017 3:00:41 PM   
obvert

Nicely done!! Still fighting!

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

Post #: 789
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/18/2017 12:41:51 AM   
PaxMondo

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 790
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/23/2017 12:44:42 AM   
mind_messing

June 6th to June 8th, 1945

North Pacific

Amphib ships are spotted in the Sea of Okhotsk on the 7th, heading to Sakhalin. In response, strike aircraft are amassed on Hokkaido ready to strike on the 8th. A core of Ki-83 fighters are transferred in from the fighting in China to provide long-range escort capability for the kami aircraft.

This is also the first deployment of kami squadrons cross-trained in air-to-air combat and low-Nav.

The results are fantastic:

quote:

Morning Air attack on TF, near Shikuka at 126,43

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 75 NM, estimated altitude 9,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 24 minutes

Japanese aircraft
B6N2a Jill x 17
Ki-83 x 65

Allied aircraft
Seafire L.III x 3
F6F-5 Hellcat x 18

Japanese aircraft losses
B6N2a Jill: 8 destroyed
B6N2a Jill: 1 destroyed by flak
Ki-83: 13 destroyed

No Allied losses

Allied Ships
CVE Corregidor, Kamikaze hits 5, heavy fires, heavy damage
CVE Ommaney Bay, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire
CVE Rajah, Kamikaze hits 1
CVE Munda, Kamikaze hits 2, on fire

Aircraft Attacking:
16 x B6N2a Jill flying as kamikaze
Kamikaze: 2 x 250 kg SAP Bomb
26 x Ki-83 sweeping at 5000 feet
12 x Ki-83 sweeping at 5000 feet

Ammo storage explosion on CVE Ommaney Bay
Fuel storage explosion on CVE Corregidor
Ammo storage explosion on CVE Rajah
Fuel storage explosion on CVE Munda
Ammo storage explosion on CVE Munda

Weather in hex: Heavy cloud

Raid detected at 110 NM, estimated altitude 40,000 feet.
Estimated time to target is 30 minutes

Japanese aircraft
Ki-46 KAI Dinah x 10
Ki-94-II x 46

Allied aircraft
F6F-5 Hellcat x 12

Japanese aircraft losses
Ki-46 KAI Dinah: 5 destroyed
Ki-46 KAI Dinah: 1 destroyed by flak
Ki-94-II: 4 destroyed

Allied aircraft losses
F6F-5 Hellcat: 4 destroyed

Allied Ships
CVE Rajah
CVE Stalker, Kamikaze hits 2, heavy damage

Ammo storage explosion on CVE Stalker

While there were some planes that flew against the Allied deathstar and wasted themselves on the buzzsaw CAP, this strike does an excellent job of further blunting offensive operations. While there are troops ashore on Sahkilin, I'm planning to follow on these strikes tomorrow in the hope that we can get at the amphibs!

Allied engineers are building up their foothold in the region as well, but the brave defenders of Shimurshiri-jima hold on. The forts are now down to level 3, and the defenders are looking ragged in comparison to the Allies, but the fight carries on!

quote:

Ground combat at Shimushiri-jima (132,51)

Allied Deliberate attack

Attacking force 38861 troops, 651 guns, 958 vehicles, Assault Value = 1316

Defending force 27532 troops, 346 guns, 112 vehicles, Assault Value = 470

Allied adjusted assault: 1505

Japanese adjusted defense: 785

Allied assault odds: 1 to 1 (fort level 4)

Allied Assault reduces fortifications to 3

Combat modifiers
Defender: terrain(+), forts(+), disruption(-), experience(-)
Attacker:

Japanese ground losses:
1219 casualties reported
Squads: 34 destroyed, 42 disabled
Non Combat: 6 destroyed, 23 disabled
Engineers: 9 destroyed, 10 disabled
Guns lost 41 (5 destroyed, 36 disabled)

Allied ground losses:
2231 casualties reported
Squads: 16 destroyed, 186 disabled
Non Combat: 0 destroyed, 27 disabled
Engineers: 0 destroyed, 22 disabled
Guns lost 62 (2 destroyed, 60 disabled)
Vehicles lost 35 (1 destroyed, 34 disabled)

I tried to reinforce the island with a brigade landed via amphibious drop, but the USN surface presence put paid to that. I landed the brigade at Etofuru instead.

I'm pretty ambivalent about the landing at Sakhalin. While there's no chance I can throw the Americans back and the odds of a prolonged resistance in the clear terrain at Shikuka is slim, I'm pretty confident that I can draw out the campaign for at least a month or so. I intend to fly in some of the fairly worthless late-war militia brigades that have been arriving over the past few months to Toyohara and let them make a stand there.

While losing these big airbases within easy strike distance of Japan is a sore blow, there was no chance of them lasting beyond August anyways, and the Allies have an abundance of B-29 bases in China at this point.

China

Not much to say here that can't be said by a picture.

The USN CV planes struck at Shanghai port, sinking a few merchant ships in the port and grievously damaging more. I'm quite content about this state of affairs, as the Allied CV's need to go home eventually, and I'd rather they sank surplus merchantmen than attempted to firebomb light industry in the region.

We perform a nice little ambush on the Allied bomber corps in Central China, with a mix of IJN and IJA airplanes shooting down a fair few of the 4E monsters. I am always aware that there's not a chance of stemming the tide, but at the very least cracking their morale for a few turns and boosting my own pilots EXP is always nice.

Japan

The quality of the defences of Japan proper is starting to become scary. Most of the late-war divisions have their TOE fully fleshed out and are now training up to the national EXP limit.

Third-generation airframes have been assigned to all the best squadrons, and some are now making their way in to the second line squadrons.

Fort construction is mostly halted as a supply-saving measure, except in a few key coastal hexes with open terrain.

Damage to industry has been fairly limited, with the exception of Kobe. A series of small attacks created a firestorm in spite of fairly few attacking B-29s and bad weather during and after the strike, the industry there took about 10% damage as fires continued to burn for a few days afterwards. However, this is really the only city to take serious damage from B-29 raids as of yet...

Post #: 791
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/23/2017 2:25:58 AM   
Lowpe

Super impressive.

What the heck is wrong with Lok? 23 plane CAP???? Would that I ever be that lucky!

Post #: 792
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/23/2017 7:11:30 AM   
obvert

Nicely done again! I see the despair of knowing that the Allied push cannot be stopped, but if you keep concentrating on taking your tithe for every hex gained, it gives you something to keep looking forward to.

I'm a big fan of these late war strikes at distance, especially with kamis. I don't know how many Peggys you have, but they're excellent going low and fast.

"Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm." - Winston Churchill

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 793
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/23/2017 12:54:53 PM   
PaxMondo

A split Deathstar? Is that opportunity knocking for you?

Pax

(in reply to obvert)
Post #: 794
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/23/2017 1:30:36 PM   
Lowpe

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

It has to be more likely Deathstar #1.

(in reply to PaxMondo)
Post #: 795
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/23/2017 1:32:50 PM   
Lowpe

I noticed that Kamikaze squadrons can fly CAP; so I created a bunch and stuffed them into fighters hoping they would ram the P47 sweeps.

No such luck. They also failed miserably as normal kamkikazes, but I hardly ever managed to outnumber the CAP.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 796
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/23/2017 2:42:34 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

Super impressive.

What the heck is wrong with Lok? 23 plane CAP???? Would that I ever be that lucky!

If you look at the dispositions, he was quite clever. The deathstar is between Hokkaido and Sakhalin, closer to my airbases, so any naval strikes would have been drawn to the deathstar and their doom.

Except that Wakkanai is closer to Shikuka (7 hexes) than the deathstar (8 hexes) so those planes flew against the CVE's. They were also joined by a few smaller squadrons that didn't feel aggressive enough to fly into the deathstar CAP. It's worth pointing out that the planes that flew into the deathstar all died horribly.

That said, there's pretty much no excuse for that weak a CAP, but given the fact that Loka could have depended reasonably well on the deathstar soaking up hits, it's understandable if inexcusable.

quote:

Nicely done again! I see the despair of knowing that the Allied push cannot be stopped, but if you keep concentrating on taking your tithe for every hex gained, it gives you something to keep looking forward to.

I'm a big fan of these late war strikes at distance, especially with kamis. I don't know how many Peggys you have, but they're excellent going low and fast.

It's more a struggle of willpower at this point for us both I think. The tedium of late-war turns is pretty huge, and most of the time there's not actually any substantial action to keep you interested. I'm sure Loka is as bored as I am of watch replay after replay of unopposed 4E bombing of abandoned bases.

quote:

ORIGINAL: PaxMondo

Flying against Loka's fleet CV's is a pointless endeavour currently. He's quite content to run 100% CAP on all his CV airgroups, and the game engine tends to favour defending CAP over attacking strike packages. I could probably throw a thousand planes at him next turn, but I'm not convinced it would be worthwhile.

Instead, I'm holding my hand until I get an inclination of amphibs. That's the real prize at this point.

quote:

I noticed that Kamikaze squadrons can fly CAP; so I created a bunch and stuffed them into fighters hoping they would ram the P47 sweeps.

No such luck. They also failed miserably as normal kamkikazes, but I hardly ever managed to outnumber the CAP.

I've a few fighter squadrons converted to kami's that I intend to use as escort/kami aircraft. Hopefully the fact that they can dogfight a bit will help their chances of getting through.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 797
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/23/2017 2:46:51 PM   
Lowpe

As Japan, you can disable the combat summaries, so the turn can run on its own start to finish. Then you can turn the summaries back on after it is over.

I know your pain.

Post #: 798
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/29/2017 1:20:19 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

As Japan, you can disable the combat summaries, so the turn can run on its own start to finish. Then you can turn the summaries back on after it is over.

I know your pain.

For all the moaning I do about it, there's the odd "banzai" moments that make it all worthwhile.

As a perfect example, the replay where my kami's break through a token CVE CAP and get 12 hits on volatile CVE's was a pretty good turn.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 799
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 3/30/2017 12:04:43 PM   
mind_messing

June 9th to June 16th, 1945

North Pacific

Allied foothold on Sakhilin expands, with troops landing at Toyohara. The USMC units evidently weren't prepped, as they take grievous disablement on the beach, enabling the SNLF garrisoned there to hold them off, at least for the moment.

Japanese troops and aircraft are massing on Hokkaido in preparation for the next Allied move up here, but I suspect the next blow will fall elsewhere.

Formosa

Allied carriers and amphibs are within a few hexes of Formosa, operating from captured bases on the South China coast. I've moved some fighters and strike craft in, but so far it has been an excersie in futility. I don't like the terrain on Formosa anyways for a defence, so the units here will likely be left to cope as best they can behind their forts.

China

The bulk of the IJA troops in Central China make a clean get-away to Manchuria, where they'll get a couple weeks R&R before being thrown back into the fight.

Assorted garrison and collaborationist Chinese units are gathering in the major cities to fight to the last. Nanking and Shanghai will be the last stand for these units, while the better IJA units are moving to Peiping and Tientsin to delay the Chinese rabble.

South of Kaifeng, a rag-tag kampfgruppe of battered IJA divisions and Panzerarmee China are performing a 180 degree turn to attack the Chinese spearhead. I fancy the chances of 6 IJA infantry divisions and 3 IJA tank divisions against 8 Chinese units of various quality. I've massed some bombers as well, to provide additional support.

The Chinese are about the only units I feel comfortable attacking with, so I intend to make as much of these chances as possible.

Home Islands

The massive training campaign continues on the ground and in the air. Most of the "last ditch" divisions are combat ready. Garrisons are in place on all the southern coastal bases, and newly arrived troops will be sent to northern Honshu in preparation of moves up here.

I'll need to get at least token garrisons on the islands in the sea of Japan, with Soviet activation coming soon and the US firmly ensconced on Sakhilin. Plus, Ulleungdo will make an excellent seaplane base for Jake's to watch the Soviet Pacific Fleet's movements.

Post #: 800
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 4/28/2017 6:14:35 PM   
mind_messing

June 17th to June 29th, 1945

North Pacific

The Allies step up their naval game in the Kuriles, sending fast carriers in support of battleships to bombard the exposed airbases on Hokkaido. Most Japanese aircraft are kept back in reserve, bar some expendable Judy dive bombers that are keeping up the pretence of resistance.

Lots of strikes at night against the Allied fleet, but nothing to show for it bar some experience increases in the pilots.

Everything is being kept on a short leash here - when amphibs appear I'll go all in.

Formosa

I'm suspecting this will be Loka's next target, and to that end preparations are in place.

There's not a chance of a successful defense here, considering that with so much of China in Allied hands, there's an abundance of bases for land-based aircraft to support the invasion from, let alone aircraft from Luzon. Nevertheless, I'll have a plink at the Allies with night naval strikes and maybe some kamis from the smaller bases.

On the ground, there's something like 3000 AV, mostly concentrated on the west coast of Formosa. The open terrain will be a kiler, however.

Given the wider strategic picture, Formosa is an afterthought. It's now Okinawa that concerns me.

China

My Kaifeng counterattack turns to farce. The initial attack repulses the Chinese, and I load my troops on to trains to pull them back. However, Loka mounts continual paratrooper raids on the units for four days after they move into strategic mode, which cancels their movement each day, so they never actually leave the hex. Much salt on my part.

The battered units are now moving normally across the North China Plain, and pretty much everywhere south of Peiping everything Japanese is running north.

Canton and Shanghai are subjected to deliberate attacks, and the Chinese troops investing these fortresses suffer heavily. The situation at Nanking is looking ropey, but the collaborationist trash in that base won't stand for long anyways.

Home Islands

The monumental buildup of air and ground assets continues, hampered somewhat by the ever-increasing Allied strategic bombing effort. Overall, the damage has been fairly moderate, but the hit to production caused by fires is starting to be felt.

Key units destroyed on Luzon are being returned, including Air HQ's, big base forces and the Wake CD unit. Most are heading to Hokkaido.

At sea, I'm due to get several battleships and carriers back operational within the next few weeks. They're all going to be sent to Peter the Great Gulf in anticipation for Soviet activation and as bait for the Allied fast carriers - if I can draw them deep into the Sea of Japan then I'll chance committing what naval and air assets I have left to blocking them in there, but I have little hope that Loka will be so foolhardy.

Supply is still acceptable...

Manchuria

With a month left to go before Soviet activation, final preparations to deal with the Soviet horde are nearing completion. There's not much left to do in truth, other than parcel out the evacuated units from China amongst the current garrison.

The smaller IJA units and collaborationist trash will serve as road and rail blockers, and the bigger units are being sent to smaller bases in Korea as anti-paratrooper units.

I've formed a reasonable fighter force in Manchuria to attempt to mitigate the damage that Soviet air power will do, but I'm loath to send any of the really good airframes here for fear of weakening the defense of the Home Islands.

Post #: 801
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 4/28/2017 7:21:20 PM   
Bullwinkle58

When you get to Soviet activation I'd really like more updates. I think that could be an epic period for both of you.

The Moose

Post #: 802
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 4/29/2017 12:38:06 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

When you get to Soviet activation I'd really like more updates. I think that could be an epic period for both of you.

Yeah, I plan to. Soviets are rarely seen in AAR's, and I think I may be in the best position overall to respond to them that I've seen. Not that I have much hope, mind you.

Currently there's not much really interesting going on, other than me getting bombed and slowly pushed back in China, with the occasional sweep or two, and the turns are grinding at this stage in the game if you want to make sure everything is as it should.

I'm still torn about overall strategy in Manchuria. With the Chinese so close, I'm wondering if the best recourse is to cut my losses and run back to North Korea.

On a OT note that you might appreciate: was at a friends birthday night yesterday and her partner is a RN submariner - surprised a few there with knowing the finer points of distinction between SSN's and SSBN's, amongst other odds and ends.

(in reply to Bullwinkle58)
Post #: 803
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 4/29/2017 4:09:11 PM   
Bullwinkle58

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

Yeah, I plan to. Soviets are rarely seen in AAR's, and I think I may be in the best position overall to respond to them that I've seen. Not that I have much hope, mind you.

Currently there's not much really interesting going on, other than me getting bombed and slowly pushed back in China, with the occasional sweep or two, and the turns are grinding at this stage in the game if you want to make sure everything is as it should.

I'm still torn about overall strategy in Manchuria. With the Chinese so close, I'm wondering if the best recourse is to cut my losses and run back to North Korea.

On a OT note that you might appreciate: was at a friends birthday night yesterday and her partner is a RN submariner - surprised a few there with knowing the finer points of distinction between SSN's and SSBN's, amongst other odds and ends.

RN bubbleheads are getting more rare all the time. SSNs and boomers are really two different navies.

On giving up China, I don't know. You know my opinion and my AI game experience with the Sovs. I don't think there's really anything you can do. I know you think you can slow them down, but you have no idea. The arty alone is orders of magnitude worse than anything you've seen. Their motor rifle divisions are fast, so the more spread the more hexside games. When I played them in an AI game I didn't even worry about the air war. Didn't need to.

The Moose

Post #: 804
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 4/29/2017 5:52:11 PM   
mind_messing

Well, that's that out the road I suppose. Recent Allied strat bombing efforts and success in China peaks them over the critical 2:1 VP ratio.

Loka and I will continue on for a few months however, as I'm nowhere near beat. The Japanese industrial base is fairly intact and there's still plenty of supply. We both want to see the Soviets, and I want to see the best way of whacking a late-war Allied invasion of the Home Islands.

Post #: 805
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 4/29/2017 6:11:16 PM   
Lowpe

So you made July 30!

Can I see a picture of the score screen?

Post #: 806
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 4/29/2017 6:17:38 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

So you made July 30!

Can I see a picture of the score screen?

Here you go.

Points to note (hehehehehe) are air losses and base points. The poor rate-of-exchange in terms of aircraft points, I think, lost me the chance of stalling out for a Minor Allied victory. Everything else is fairly equal, all things considered.

It's one of the downsides about the VP system, however. I doubt I'd have the supply or the industry to last to July without losing all those planes. In future, more care will be taken.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 807
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 4/29/2017 6:44:50 PM   
Lowpe

How did he get the strategic vp -- day or night bombing?

I lost like 60,000!

Post #: 808
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 4/29/2017 7:03:02 PM   
mind_messing

quote:

How did he get the strategic vp -- day or night bombing?

I lost like 60,000!

A mixture of both. Carrier strikes and naval bombardment of Hokkaido and night bombing of the rest of the Home Islands.

(in reply to Lowpe)
Post #: 809
RE: The Chinese Are Coming! - 5/13/2017 4:23:23 PM   
mind_messing

June 30th to July 14th, 1945

Despite the war officially being lost, the fighting carries on.

North Pacific

Fairly quiet up here, excepting Thunderbolt sweeps on Hokkaido. While the Allies get good exchange rates, I've factored this in to my CAP design, so the Allies are going up against a mix of airframes, with a few really nasty squadrons of Ki-94s and Shindens thrown in for good measure.

There's plenty of troops and supply on Hokkaido, and I've moved extra aviation support across as well. Even the Wake CD guns have made their way here after being bought back from Luzon.

Bonin Islands

I send what's left of the IJN carrier fleet to the waters off the Bonin Islands in an attempt to smack a USN task force reported without air cover. As it transpires, it was a CVE force.

While some slow E-class ships are able to get into gun range, they don't do any serious damage, and the IJN carriers lack the critical mass to break through the CAP and inflict serious damage. A shame, as it could have been a nice victory for this late stage of the war.

The Allies follow up with both air and naval bombardments of the Bonins. The defenders here are ready for landings, but there's no sign of it yet.

China

The Chinese spearhead reaches the outskirts of Peiping, effectively cutting off what Japanese units remain. Those units trapped are heading to the cities to stall the Allies as well as they can.

Nanking falls, with a respectable show of resistance from a garrison consisting mostly of trash units.

Kami's from Formosa get two hits on the BB Nelson, which was part of a TF attempting to bombard Hong Kong. Both hits penetrate, so hopefully that's one battleship in the yards.

Home Islands

With Soviet activation approaching, I'm concentrating naval assets in the Sea of Japan to hopefully smash the Soviet Pacific Fleet quickly, and remove the dagger posed by the Soviet naval units based from Vladivostok.

Once the Soviet Union is active, I plan to try and block any Allied intrustion into the Sea of Japan. Tsushima is closed by the CD guns, but I hope to keep the northern approaches blocked with kamis.

We'll see at any rate.

The first yellow exclaimation mark appears in a small base on Honshu this turn as well...

Post #: 810
Page:   <<   < prev  24 25 26 [27] 28   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports >> RE: The Chinese Are Coming! Page: <<   < prev  24 25 26 [27] 28   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI