Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: 2.* Wishlist

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: 2.* Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 4/10/2014 3:42:52 AM   
zartanlaw

The Brazilian-American Campaign at The Gothic Line. This campaign includes the Brazilian Expeditionary Force under the American Fifth Army. Both should be in all maps with the Brazilians at the left flank and the Americans at the Right. Most maps at day time. I can help give details for some of the scenarios which are most under snow and the final one in clear weather. P-47 squadrons also were deployed to sink U-boats when exposed. Lots of mine fields in the final scenario at "Monte Castelo". I would like to see medical units and military tents too.

(in reply to Dumnorix)
Post #: 31
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 4/10/2014 9:44:07 PM   
dgk196

Artillery....

Maybe some things to consider related to artillery, such as....

Two different 'deployment' types.. one for engaging direct-fire applications and one for indirect-fire.
Taking into account re-establishing communications... the time it takes to 'register' the guns and so on....

Direct and indirect-fire limits... as per 'Panzer Campaigns'... artillery may not support indirect-fire for units not in their chain-of-command.
A plus-one or plus-two support level above the units chain could be included for army's that had such capability.

Make the 'guns' that are firing indirectly responsive to either a specific forward controller or organization for designating specific.
When 'not just anyone' can call in fire support then that should be reflected in the game.

Thanks for listening

Dennis

(in reply to Dumnorix)
Post #: 32
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 12/2/2014 3:59:02 AM   
MausMan2

I second a more fleshed out artillery firing process.

How about this one. You can currently drop smoke and it lingers for a turn or two. Why not, under the right conditions, have ‘smoke’ automatically generated in a hex following multiple artillery strikes? And along that line, heavy traffic, dependent on conditions and terrain, generates a dust screen??

(in reply to dgk196)
Post #: 33
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 12/5/2014 11:44:48 PM   
ThomasBear

Since we're all dreaming... 'unlocking' of all the many, many, many other units during a Dynamic campaign when selecting your Core unit. Want to command the heavy artillery? Or be in charge of MG Battalion?

The ability to select and command Battalion-level units as your starting Core units (such as when taking charge of a Tiger Battalion when these become available later in the game) would be brilliant - even if it means a very challenging and unusual game.

Still... Artillery officers served with just as much distinction as infantry and tank commanders.

< Message edited by ThomasBear -- 12/6/2014 12:49:37 AM >

(in reply to MausMan2)
Post #: 34
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 12/11/2014 1:32:17 AM   
XLVIIIPzKorp

Well..... while were wishing, once again, separate bases for the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS so I can see something like this without resorting to Photoshop.

(in reply to ThomasBear)
Post #: 35
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 9/12/2015 2:43:19 PM   
Rake

I'm relatively new here in that I don't post often. Nothing against the board; I just don't post very often on any of the multitude of forums that I frequent. I have, however, been a fan of this game since the original EF. I really appreciate how Matrix has picked up and supported this game... Now, my wishlist:

quote:

ORIGINAL: lecrop

My wish from the Dawn of Time; I would like to see the info screen (F2) of the units carried by vehicles.

^^^^^ THIS!!! And the ability to set Op Fire for transported units before they unload.

quote:

ORIGINAL: **budd**

another zoom level and mouse wheel zoom

Another good one. I see that another 2D zoom level will be added to the new Middle East game; I hope it can be added to the original CS games without too much delay.

The mouse wheel zoom is a carryover from my play of JT's Panzer Campaigns and I find myself constantly attempting to scroll thru the zoom levels using the mouse wheel.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bigeard

Please please please... the ability to keep the 'Find Org' dialogue open, with the organization tree expanded, while moving/firing the selected units on the map. As per this thread:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3522335

For as long as I've played this series, my greatest complaint (at least in larger scenarios) has been my inability to keep units organized. I always play with the "Highlight Organization" function on and this is fine for lower levels of command. The "Find Org" dialogue is cumbersome to say the least. Coming from Panzer Campaigns, what I'd really like is to have organizations color coded similar to the way "Divisional Markings" work in PzC.

It wasn't until quite recently, while reading about CS Middle East, that I even realized that the color code used in 2D modes was related to the unit type. I suspect that many others have become used to this, so my wish would be for a toggle to change the color so that it could be used to denote units from the same battalion.

Given a choice in any game, I always play with NATO symbols on. I'm not sure how this could be handled using other icons or in 3D, but it would be a nice option in 2D mode.

Thanks again for all the updates... I'm waiting somewhat patiently for Middle East to see the improvements to the game. But, what I'm sure that I'll really be impatient for is to see the improvements ported to the original series

Edit: Just one more thing (Not really, but for now : Some way to show reachable hexes using double time movement without actually having to become fatigued would be sweet. I thought someone else had mentioned this, but I couldn't find the post in this thread when I looked back through...

< Message edited by Rake -- 9/12/2015 4:11:49 PM >

(in reply to lecrop)
Post #: 36
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 10/29/2015 11:59:50 AM   
Jafele

When seven units are stacked in one hex is impossible to see the seventh in the info box. Would be cool an arrow to move between the units and the terrain info.

Las batallas contra las mujeres son las únicas que se ganan huyendo.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to Rake)
Post #: 37
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 10/29/2015 12:44:59 PM   
berto

Not true. By holding down the left mouse button, you can drag the Info Box display up or down as you please.

Campaign Series Legion https://cslegion.com/
Campaign Series Lead Coder https://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tt.asp?forumid=1515
Panzer Campaigns, Panzer Battles, Civil War Battles Lead Coder https://wargameds.com

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 38
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 10/29/2015 1:57:03 PM   
Jafele

Thanks, I didn´t know. Great!

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

Cuando el necio oye la verdad se carcajea, porque si no lo hiciera la verdad no sería la verdad.

LAO TSE

(in reply to berto)
Post #: 39
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/4/2015 9:54:23 AM   
Big Ivan

Please consider these issues for the new upgrade to CS-EF/WF/RS

1. In the scenario editor a range display (like in playing a scenario the "G" key) for units. Also a range display in both editor and playing a scenario for off-board artillery.

2. Clearing the org file of units placed for off board artillery. Ex: right now you can place off-board artillery in the editor and the guns show not available in the org file.
But when you save the scenario and come back to it to work on the scenario, the off board artillery units previously placed are in the org file.
This would prevent accidental re-replacement of the artillery which in turn could prevent the dreaded "ghost" artillery unit.

3. Eliminate the on board aircraft units. They don't really work considering the game scale and time frame.

4. Increased visibility with increased height advantage.
That is if a unit can see 6 hexes at ground level would it be prudent that at a level 1 or 2 higher than ground level it could see 7 or 8 hexes baring terrain obstructions?

5. View menu: Right now I have my view set at "Last View" for a scenario but if I have rotated my map 180 then save it and I come back to a scenario the last view is not the last view, it is not rotated.

6. We've talked extensively about fixing the org files for DCG scenarios so I won't dwell on that.

7. Random scenario generation (Setup): Right now a meeting engagement appears the be a meeting engagement and a river crossing appears to be a river crossing.
Could a bridgehead be randomly setup as a bridge head over a minor river??
As for a pocket breakout/delaying action/highway clearing I don't think changing the random setup could do much there.

Just some of my thoughts I would like to have considered.

Thanks dev team

Big Ivan

Blitz call sign Big Ivan.

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 40
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/4/2015 10:38:05 AM   
Crossroads

Thanks, something to consider for sure!

While I see what you are saying in all other points, what about number 3 though. Do you have CS Middle East, with the new Air Model that comes with it?

Judging how helo gunships operate I'd wage a similar model would work quite nicely on WW II. Stukas, Thunderbolts, what have you. Gunships are quite the nice asset should you not have to worry about opposition AA assets, in which case you really have to think about where to order them and where not.

Just curious to hear your opinion on this.

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 41
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/4/2015 11:32:30 AM   
MrRoadrunner

I agree with Big Ivan on number three.
Keep the abstract air rules that originally came with the game. I hate the on map aircraft. And, if it would be Stukas and Thunderbolts I would have more reason to be disgusted. I do not think it is "realism" in any way or form.

Remember six minute turns? Please?

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 42
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/4/2015 6:00:58 PM   
Crossroads

What's been discussed for CS Vietnam are Spotter aircraft and helos only. I was just curious if Ivan's wish was related to having already played with the new air model, or just about the old on-map aircraft.

The old model is a goner, so from that point of view you can pretty much consider #3 as such a done deal.

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 43
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/5/2015 9:50:33 AM   
Big Ivan

Hi Crossroads and thanks RR,

That's good to hear that the old air model is gone.

I have tinkered with CSME's air model a bit in one scenario. It appears its functional for helicopter aircraft but will admit that I haven't got to deep into it yet.

Fixed wing aircraft flying at for sake of argument 200-300 miles/hour, is totally different, the model in game scale terms just doesn't work for me in EF/WF/RS.
Airplanes should be constantly moving laterally across the board at either low or high altitude, diving or climbing and doing loops or barrel rolls.
Not sitting in one hex as you complete the balance of a turn or during your opponents turn. That seems totally unrealistic to me.
I do like how the airstrikes are handled with the quick on-attack-quick off routine. Keep that as its most realistic for this game engine and scale.

I think the problem is that the games EF/WF/RS and CSME for that matter are turn based and not real time action like "Close Combat" series (hope its CC Series?).

IMO for turn based games you cannot accurately portray what fixed wing aircraft really do because there is a freeze phase for lack of a better term.
By that I mean you are finishing your turn and waiting for your opponent to complete his and the planes are not moving! That's odd, for me they need to move constantly all the time across the whole turn.

Not sure if that could be ever coded in this series. Probably not but its OK to dream I guess!
Thanks and have a great day gents!

Big Ivan

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 44
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/5/2015 12:23:35 PM   
MrRoadrunner

quote:

ORIGINAL: Big Ivan

Hi Crossroads and thanks RR,

That's good to hear that the old air model is gone.

I have tinkered with CSME's air model a bit in one scenario. It appears its functional for helicopter aircraft but will admit that I haven't got to deep into it yet.

Fixed wing aircraft flying at for sake of argument 200-300 miles/hour, is totally different, the model in game scale terms just doesn't work for me in EF/WF/RS.
Airplanes should be constantly moving laterally across the board at either low or high altitude, diving or climbing and doing loops or barrel rolls.
Not sitting in one hex as you complete the balance of a turn or during your opponents turn. That seems totally unrealistic to me.
I do like how the airstrikes are handled with the quick on-attack-quick off routine. Keep that as its most realistic for this game engine and scale.

I think the problem is that the games EF/WF/RS and CSME for that matter are turn based and not real time action like "Close Combat" series (hope its CC Series?).

IMO for turn based games you cannot accurately portray what fixed wing aircraft really do because there is a freeze phase for lack of a better term.
By that I mean you are finishing your turn and waiting for your opponent to complete his and the planes are not moving! That's odd, for me they need to move constantly all the time across the whole turn.

Not sure if that could be ever coded in this series. Probably not but its OK to dream I guess!
Thanks and have a great day gents!

Big Ivan

Probably why the original air rules were to abstract planes? And, probably why it was thought of as a ground based game.
When the team slapped on the air and navy rules it was like trying to put lipstick on a pig. It sure does not look right nor did it make the pig pretty.

Having planes flit around to fit the time and space scale would be distractedly annoying at best?
Best to leave it abstract.

For Vietnam, spotters and helos sound about right. They were made to loiter?
Though in the hands of a player if the plane does not move for turn after turn, what keeps it "afloat"?

RR

“The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.”
― Marcus Aurelius, Meditations

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 45
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/5/2015 1:14:31 PM   
Crossroads

Good arguments gentlemen. Air strikes with off-map aircraft zooming in and out as they currently are implemented go a long way to represent the fixed wing ground attack air craft.

(in reply to MrRoadrunner)
Post #: 46
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/6/2015 8:03:35 AM   
Big Ivan

RR, Like the lipstick on a pig anology, I'll have to remember that one, that's good-Thanks!

Crossroads
Here is an idea that just popped up in my head about loitering, not sure if it will work but here goes.
Fixed winged aircraft type units cannot loiter! You either move them preferably a minimum number of hexes each turn. (Minimum would probably be some number more than 12 or 24)
Or,
If they haven't moved they are automatically exited at the start of your next turn by the game engine itself. Owner has no control assumed to have flown off to another part of the front never to return.

Helicopters type units can hang around by their very nature so they are exempted from this rule.

Just trying to think of ways to make fixed winged aircraft work better within the scale of the game.
Maybe there are not any and its a pipe dream, don't know.

Thanks
Big Ivan

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 47
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/7/2015 10:17:58 PM   
Jason Petho

Great idea, Big Ivan!

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 48
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/7/2015 11:00:36 PM   
Jafele

Some kind of sign to know when an unit is assaulting. This would be a more reliable source than memory.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to Jason Petho)
Post #: 49
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/8/2015 12:15:12 AM   
Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

What's been discussed for CS Vietnam are Spotter aircraft and helos only. I was just curious if Ivan's wish was related to having already played with the new air model, or just about the old on-map aircraft.

This is slightly inaccurate.

There will be other on map aircraft for Vietnam, mainly the Puff/Spooky types.

Other airstrikes will operate as they usually do and how they do in CSME.

< Message edited by Jason Petho -- 11/8/2015 1:15:41 AM >

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 50
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/8/2015 12:23:03 AM   
K K Rossokolski

Loitering aircraft.
One attack aircraft type first seen in Vietnam was/is the side-firing gunship, modifications of the venerable C-47 Dakota, the later C-119 Flying Boxcar, and the C-130 Hercules, capable of illuminating targets and engaging with a variety of weapons from the 7.62 minigun to 105mm howitzers. These aircraft were capable of sustained fire and target illumination, with significant loiter time.
We plan these to be part of the Vietnam OOB.
As Petri says above, the "dash and drop" air attack, a feature of CS since EF first appeared, works for us. A planned addition will be the multi-aircraft B-52 "ArcLight" strike.

Cheers
Rod Coles...KKR

"It's tough to make predictions, especially about the future."
Yogi Berra

(in reply to Jafele)
Post #: 51
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/8/2015 7:50:27 AM   
Crossroads

Oh yes, I was thinking about On-Map jets being not an option. Ah, C-47 Spooky was one of the first models I ever built. Rows of miniguns sure got the attention of the young kid I was:

(not mine, but a similar kit)

(in reply to K K Rossokolski)
Post #: 52
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/8/2015 9:56:53 AM   
Big Ivan

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jason Petho

quote:

ORIGINAL: Crossroads

This is slightly inaccurate.

There will be other on map aircraft for Vietnam, mainly the Puff/Spooky types.

Other airstrikes will operate as they usually do and how they do in CSME.

Darn it! Forgot about Puff and Spooky! Can't be a Vietnam game without them. Not sure how those could be handled abstractly like air attacks. They can put a lot of devastation in one or two hexes.

Post #: 53
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/9/2015 1:53:46 AM   
Deepstuff3725

SAre we going to be able to call in for an air strike in the Vietnam game, and when it occurs see an F-4 Phantom streak across the screen and drop napalm? If so, to make it realistic I'd like for it to be loud as flies through. Perhaps get some audio of a real Phantom flying overhead at high speed? A friend of mine told me his dad served in Vietnam, and he said the F4's were "scary".

And how about if doing a napalm strike, have there be a possibility of missing the targeted hex? And with a napalm strike, instead of lighting up just one hex, maybe there could be a couple hexes in a row go up in flames? Units that were there would take major hits, if one was able to flee it would be severely damaged?

In my opinion, I'd like to see any air strikes handled the way they are now where they zoom in and off the board. At first I wanted air units to move around, but I've grown to like how the air strikes are handled in CS. I like how the computer handles the air attack, and it is somewhat out of your control as you are focused on the ground war and commanding ground forces.

Having some units able to loiter, like helicopters, sounds great, too. Being able to control and move helicopters around makes sense.

And how about a scenario for Vietnam similar to the helicopter beach assault in the movie Apocalypse Now? Gunships and Hughes MDs flying in with rockets and machine guns..... I would crank of the Flight of the Valkries playing it. :)

Here is a link to set the mood.......

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=30QzJKCUekQ

Jeff :)

< Message edited by Deepstuff123 -- 11/9/2015 3:00:33 AM >

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 54
RE: 2.01 Wishlist Thread - 11/9/2015 8:48:43 PM   
Jafele

Possibility to change units names. This is a good option to know in the info box which platoon is selected, with no need to use F2.

Example: There are 4 T-34 M41 units, I could rename them in this way to distinguish different platoons: T-34 M41 (1); T-34 M41(2)...

On another hand, some units (ie.sniper teams) have no unique name in F2 when they are part of the same organization.

NAPOLEÓN BONAPARTE

LAO TSE

(in reply to Deepstuff3725)
Post #: 55
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 11/9/2015 10:34:17 PM   
Zap

quote:

ORIGINAL: XLVIII Pz. Korp

Well..... while were wishing, once again, separate bases for the Wehrmacht and Waffen SS so I can see something like this without resorting to Photoshop.

Whatever happened to the beautiful bases? I was hoping to see them implemented in the future games. Why not let him have a go at the bases for CSME

(in reply to XLVIIIPzKorp)
Post #: 56
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 11/10/2015 9:15:02 AM   
Crossroads

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zap

Whatever happened to the beautiful bases? I was hoping to see them implemented in the future games. Why not let him have a go at the bases for CSME

Nothing's stopping him or anyone having a go with them, the placeholders for 12 individual bases are there

Actually, there's a base mod there already, HERE.

< Message edited by Crossroads -- 11/10/2015 10:15:46 AM >

(in reply to Zap)
Post #: 57
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 11/21/2015 9:59:11 AM   
Big Ivan

Hi Jason

Found another graphic glitch that needs fixing for the future CS update.

West Front, November 1942 American motorcycles (6SP) appear in editor and scenario play as horses and sound is horses also.

Thanks
John

(in reply to Crossroads)
Post #: 58
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 11/21/2015 6:36:24 PM   
Jason Petho

Thank you, John!

Jason Petho

(in reply to Big Ivan)
Post #: 59
RE: 2.* Wishlist - 1/14/2016 11:38:10 AM   
fritzfarlig

maybe put the org. info like this

Attachment (1)

Post #: 60
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> John Tiller's Campaign Series >> RE: 2.* Wishlist Page: <<   < prev  1 [2] 3 4   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI