Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/11/2014 5:42:24 PM   
rkr1958

I'm trying to figure out how to work air transport missions. Consider the RAF DC-3. Can it load and transport by air any of the units that it's in the hex with? If so, I can't figure out how to load them. If not, I'm not sure how to properly use those unit?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 331
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/11/2014 6:11:47 PM   
rkr1958

I figured it out. The CW didn't have any more land moves left. That's why they couldn't load and transport any of those units. Tricky!

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 332
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/11/2014 7:14:06 PM   
rkr1958

I thought I'd share my response to this PM.

quote:

Hi: I was wondering what your impressions of this game are? How does it compare to other WWII computer games such as War in The Pacific, or Panzer General etc? I am thinking of purchasing a new one, and just want to make sure I get the most enjoyment bang for the buck. Do you have any favorite games?

I'm really enjoying the game and I'm 100% satisfied with my purchase. With that said, MWiF (WiF) is not for the faint of heart. It has a steep learning curve compared to all the other WW2 games (computer and board) that I own and have played. For me MWiF was overwhelming at first. But, I was determined to learn and play it. I went through the tutorials (which took me about a week or so), posted questions in the forum (which I'm still doing) and played the Barbarossa and Guadalcanal scenarios. But now I'm having a blast and thoroughly enjoying myself. The bottom line for me is that this is the most rich WW2 gaming experience that I've had (am having) in my 40+ years of playing WW2 games, starting with AH's France 1940 (when I was 14) and moving onto AH's 3rd Reich, etc.

So yes, this purchase and this game is right for me. But, again, MWiF is not for the faint of heart. In my opinion, you need to be willing to invest the time to learn how to play it to get it's full value in both money and richness of the gaming experience. But, I've found that there's a very knowledgeable and dedicate community willing to help.

P.S. My favorite WW2 games are: Commander Europe at War - Grand Strategy (CEaW-GS), MWiF, Panzer Corps, Battlefield Academy and, though long in the tooth, AH's 3rd Reich (PC version) and Victory in the Pacific (VITP).

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 10/11/2014 8:56:28 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 333
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/11/2014 7:42:41 PM   
Orm

Well said.

I might have considered to also mention that netplay is not yet functional and that Steve is working on fixing it. And that AI is expected to be sold as an expansion, eventually.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 334
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/11/2014 10:09:39 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

I figured it out. The CW didn't have any more land moves left. That's why they couldn't load and transport any of those units. Tricky!

There's another reason. A regular ATR (the ones that cost 3 when playing with pilots) can only transport a Para Div or Corps, a Mountain Div or Corps or an Inf Div (and that doesn't mean Inf-class, non-motorized Div, it means a pure infantry division, not Eng, not Ski, not Mar, etc.)

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 335
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/12/2014 9:21:47 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I did mean an enemy partisan in a friendly controlled hex, which is why I brought up the example of a CW unit facing against a red partisan in India. And that was indeed my question. If there's a partisan in a hex you (sort of) control, and you have to invade it, do they get a notional?

Hey, I asked the question first! I do not know the answer. I don't even know for sure that the invasion is legal. However, I really hope that it is.

Does anyone know for certain what the rule is here? Has a clarification ever been issued anywhere?

I thought I knew how to play this game....

Post #: 336
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/13/2014 7:06:17 AM   
Joseignacio

Deleted

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 10/13/2014 8:27:28 AM >

Post #: 337
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/13/2014 7:15:53 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear. I did mean an enemy partisan in a friendly controlled hex, which is why I brought up the example of a CW unit facing against a red partisan in India. And that was indeed my question. If there's a partisan in a hex you (sort of) control, and you have to invade it, do they get a notional?

To be true, after posting the previous, I was about to add what follows:

It could be understood and it makes more sense, that the notional the partisan "cancels" as a result of his cancelling control of the hex, would be an enemy notional.

In fact, you cannot invade or debark it with allies or enemies, according to this:

quote:

11.13 Debarking land units
Face-up land units in a sea area (being naval transported ~ see 11.4.5) can debark into friendly controlled coastal hexes in that sea area. They can also debark into hexes occupied by a partisan unit they co-operate with.

quote:

18.1 Who can co-operate
14. Partisans co-operate with units from their own country only. Chinese partisans only co-operate with Chinese communist units.

quote:

11.14 Invasions
Invasions allow land units to attack enemy held coastal hexes in a sea area you have transported them to.
You may only invade an enemy controlled coastal hex that has at least 1 all-sea hexside (at least part, but not necessarily all, of this coastal hexside must touch upon the sea area where the TRS is located).

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 10/13/2014 8:35:30 AM >

Post #: 338
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/13/2014 7:21:28 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

Anyway you wouldn't have been able. Each air transport can only carry one inf div OR one PARA or MONT corps or (2)divs.

Unless is a special one with a "infantry corps mark" drawn on it.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 10/13/2014 8:29:39 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 339
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/14/2014 10:17:26 PM   
rkr1958

In naval combat, is any advantage in search given to the side that initiates it?

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 340
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/14/2014 10:25:33 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

In naval combat, is any advantage in search given to the side that initiates it?

No. AAMOF it could be viewed as the other way around, because the party searching has to disorganize a unit in order to initiate.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 341
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/14/2014 10:25:55 PM   
Courtenay

quote:

No.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 342
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/14/2014 11:00:04 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

quote:

No.
Thanks! That's what I thought but just wanted to make sure.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 343
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/16/2014 2:30:18 AM   
rkr1958

This question concerns Anglo-American convoys through the Arctic to the USSR. In this particular situation the US is sending 4 BPs to the USSR by convoys through the Arctic. The Finns cut the rail line in Karelia so these BPs now have to go through Archangel to Moscow.

I assume Archangel freezes during a blizzard in the Arctic. Is that correct? If so, and the US was still trying to send the BPs, would they (could they) go to Murmansk instead and be saved there?

A somewhat related question ... forget the weather and assume Archangel is open. Can the Soviets still get these BPs if Moscow is captured by the Germans?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 10/16/2014 3:32:18 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 344
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/16/2014 3:32:54 AM   
paulderynck

They have to get them to any factory, city or major port in the recipient country but can only use 1 per each of those (plus 2 more if they can get to the capital). You cannot save those specific BPs (but you could save others the country produced that turn).

So if no factory has been railed to Murmansk you can only use 1 of the 4 in this case (the one for the city).

On the last question, all Moscow does is allow extra BPs to be sent, depending on how many factories get railed out before it falls. So somewhere between 3 and 6 BPs less that can be sent. As long as there is a useable railnet connecting incoming ports to other factories, cities and major ports, losing Moscow is no big deal.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 10/16/2014 4:33:26 AM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 345
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/16/2014 3:36:48 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

They have to get them to any factory, city or major port in the recipient country but can only use 1 per each of those (plus 2 more if they can get to the capital). You cannot save those specific BPs (but you could save others the country produced that turn).

So if no factory has been railed to Murmansk you can only use 1 of the 4 in this case (the one for the city).

On the last question, all Moscow does is allow extra BPs to be sent, depending on how many factories get railed out before it falls. So somewhere between 3 and 6 BPs less that can be sent. As long as there is a useable railnet connecting incoming ports to other factories, cities and major ports, losing Moscow is no big deal.
Thanks! Am I correct in assuming that Archangel is iced in during Blizzards in the Arctic?

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 346
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/16/2014 3:38:28 AM   
paulderynck

Yes it is iced in. You can tell all ports of that type by their port symbol.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 347
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/16/2014 3:44:25 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

Yes it is iced in. You can tell all ports of that type by their port symbol.
Thanks! And now an easy one (I think?). I'm playing with the optional rule, "In The Presence of the Enemy". I believe the answer to the following question is "no", but I'd like to make sure. Does this rule apply in any way to submarines? For example, would friendly subs, assuming their the only friendly naval units present, negate the effect of enemy SCS with respect to this rule?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 10/16/2014 4:44:33 AM >

Post #: 348
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/16/2014 5:18:39 AM   
paulderynck

You're right, the answer is No. They don't cause it and they aren't affected by it.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 349
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/18/2014 6:44:19 PM   
rkr1958

My understand is that even without any optional rules that certain factories can be railed to another location. How do you do that? I assume this happens during rail movement, but how do you select the factory you wanted to rail?

Post #: 350
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/18/2014 7:59:33 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

My understand is that even without any optional rules that certain factories can be railed to another location. How do you do that? I assume this happens during rail movement, but how do you select the factory you wanted to rail?

There has to be an enemy unit in your home country. See the rules as to what that means in the USSR.

Right click on a hex which has a blue factory. That brings up a popup menu with Rail Move Factory as one of the menu items. Selecting that menu item puts a moving factory unit "in hand", and you just left click on the destination city. Note that China cannot move factories because it does not have enough rail movement points. A moved factory arrives during the reinforcement phase (use Ctrl-Q to see when). Once you have set its destination and ended the phase, you cannot change your mind later.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 351
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/18/2014 9:22:19 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

There has to be an enemy unit in your home country. See the rules as to what that means in the USSR.

Right click on a hex which has a blue factory. That brings up a popup menu with Rail Move Factory as one of the menu items. Selecting that menu item puts a moving factory unit "in hand", and you just left click on the destination city. Note that China cannot move factories because it does not have enough rail movement points. A moved factory arrives during the reinforcement phase (use Ctrl-Q to see when). Once you have set its destination and ended the phase, you cannot change your mind later.
Thanks. I've missed some key opportunities with the Soviets in my AAR to move some factories. Live and learn.

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 352
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/19/2014 7:46:02 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

quote:

And since partisans don't control the hex, I'm not even sure you can properly "invade" it at all. And yet it would be absurd to say you can just debark at sea to a hex where a hostile partisan is sitting. Hence my confusion.

I am confused, both by the rule and by which side's partisan is in the hex. I will try for an exhaustive listing:

A friendly, cooperating partisan is the hex:
You may debark units in the hex, no matter which side owns the hex.

A friendly, non-cooperating partisan is in the hex:
You can not invade or debark into the hex. You can not stack with that unit. You can't move onto the hex with a non-cooperating unit from an adjacent hex, so why should you be able to invade that hex?

If you really want to invade a hex with a friendly, non-cooperating partisan, you must move the partisan out of the hex first. (The sequence of play allows you to invade the impulse you do this, as invasions happen after land movement.) If the hex is friendly owned, you can now debark into it, and if enemy owned, you may invade. This of course restores the enemy notional unit in the hex, so you will have to fight your way ashore, unless the enemy's notional's strength is reduced to zero for some reason.

An enemy partisan is in an enemy owned hex:
You can not debark into the hex, but you can invade, fighting both the notional and the partisan (and any other enemy units in the hex.)

An enemy partisan is in a friendly owned hex:
Here is where the rules are confusing. You can not debark into the hex. Logically, one should be able to invade the hex, but I can find no rule allowing you to do so. However, everyone I know of (including myself) thinks that such an invasion is legal. Here is the rule:
quote:

Invasions allow your land units to attack enemy held coastal hexes that touch upon a sea area to which you have transported the land units.
You may only invade an enemy controlled coastal hex that has at least 1 all-sea hexside (at least part, but not necessarily all, of this coastal hexside must touch upon the sea area where the TRS is located).
The key, I think, is the word "held" in the first sentence. That word is not defined in WiF. I believe, however, that everyone interprets "held" to include a hex held by an enemy partisan, even if it controlled by your side. Unfortunately, the second sentence uses the word controlled, and a rules lawyer might argue that this means you could not invade the hex. In this case, I would say that someone made a mistake, and allow the invasion. Then the question would arise: is there a notional unit?

Harry Rowland just replied to an email I sent him about this question.

The official rule is that one may not invade or paradrop into a friendly controlled hex occupied by an ememy partisan. Harry indicated that this rule is under debate and may be changed, but at the moment (10/19/2014) it has not been.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 353
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/19/2014 5:19:49 PM   
rkr1958

Again, I believe I know the answer to the following questions and the answer is "yes" to both. I just want to be 100% sure. The countries listed in the table below are the only countries that partisans can appear in my current game? And, there is no chance that partisans could appear in the allied conquered and controlled Sardinia?

But no so fast, where are the USSR partisans?

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 10/19/2014 6:20:41 PM >

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 354
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/19/2014 5:33:40 PM   
rkr1958

An totally unrelated questions. The situation is is that the US is trying to send 4 BPs to the USSR. These were being sent from Washington, DC to Moscow through Archangel. However, last turn the Germans captured Moscow, but Archangel is still open.

I can't figure out how to select the USSR city destination of these 4 BPs. On the US production screen, the program want let me because it says that the receiving country must specific the destination city. However, on the USSR side the 4 BPs don't sure up under the trade resources. How do I can the destination city?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 355
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/19/2014 6:25:44 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

Again, I believe I know the answer to the following questions and the answer is "yes" to both. I just want to be 100% sure. The countries listed in the table below are the only countries that partisans can appear in my current game? And, there is no chance that partisans could appear in the allied conquered and controlled Sardinia?

But no so fast, where are the USSR partisans?

Have you experimented with the tick boxes at the bottom of the form?

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 356
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/20/2014 3:04:09 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

Have you experimented with the tick boxes at the bottom of the form?
Duh ... talking about missing the obvious.

Post #: 357
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/25/2014 8:04:40 PM   
rkr1958

I'm not sure what the program is asking/enabling me to do during this phase, which is "Port Attack CAP". In this specific example when I left click on any of the 3 "selectable" fighters, I can't select them. When I right click I get, what I think, is the standard pull-down menu.

I think the program is enabling me to put cap above a port? I seen no way to select a unit, much less put it on cap.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 358
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/26/2014 7:10:23 AM   
Orm

quote:

I think the program is enabling me to put cap above a port? I seen no way to select a unit, much less put it on cap.

The program do indeed ask you to put cap on a port. But without a save I can't answer if it is possible or not to pick any unit or if it is a possible bug.

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 359
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/26/2014 3:03:23 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

The program do indeed ask you to put cap on a port. But without a save I can't answer if it is possible or not to pick any unit or if it is a possible bug.
I found the very save, in the autosave folder, that corresponds to the screen cap above. I've attached it.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 360
Page:   <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  10 11 [12] 13 14   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI