Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/26/2014 3:24:33 PM   
Orm

Do you have the box for "skip CAP in Port Attack" ticked?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 361
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/26/2014 3:30:34 PM   
Orm

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

I'm not sure what the program is asking/enabling me to do during this phase, which is "Port Attack CAP". In this specific example when I left click on any of the 3 "selectable" fighters, I can't select them. When I right click I get, what I think, is the standard pull-down menu.

I think the program is enabling me to put cap above a port? I seen no way to select a unit, much less put it on cap.

Yep. That looks weird and buggy. Do you normally get the CAP step in your games?

Maybe this should be posted in the 'Tech Support' forum?

Have a bit more patience with newbies. Of course some of them act dumb -- they're often students, for heaven's sake. - Terry Pratchett

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 362
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/26/2014 3:31:52 PM   
Orm

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Orm

quote:

I think the program is enabling me to put cap above a port? I seen no way to select a unit, much less put it on cap.

The program do indeed ask you to put cap on a port. But without a save I can't answer if it is possible or not to pick any unit or if it is a possible bug.
I found the very save, in the autosave folder, that corresponds to the screen cap above. I've attached it.

Thank you for the save.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 363
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/26/2014 6:06:50 PM   
Courtenay

There is a bug. There are two German and one Finnish plane shown that are eligible to CAP over Kiel. For some reason, I can't get them to move when I click on them.

Suggestion: Go to the "Command" menu on the main screen, select "skip phases", and disable CAP. It won't fix the bug, but, unless you really want to CAP, the bug will no longer affect you. (This is the ostrich strategy for dealing with bugs. If you can't see it, it's not there, right? )

I thought I knew how to play this game....

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 364
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/26/2014 10:23:19 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Courtenay

There is a bug. There are two German and one Finnish plane shown that are eligible to CAP over Kiel. For some reason, I can't get them to move when I click on them.

Suggestion: Go to the "Command" menu on the main screen, select "skip phases", and disable CAP. It won't fix the bug, but, unless you really want to CAP, the bug will no longer affect you. (This is the ostrich strategy for dealing with bugs. If you can't see it, it's not there, right? )
Glad to know I wasn't overlooking something obvious. Thank. By the way, for completeness I'll post this in the tech help (bug) section.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 365
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/27/2014 2:55:09 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

Yep. That looks weird and buggy. Do you normally get the CAP step in your games?

Thanks for taking a look. I've posted a report in the "Tech Support".

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 10/27/2014 3:55:54 AM >

(in reply to Orm)
Post #: 366
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/27/2014 8:29:40 PM   
Centuur

quote:

quote:

Thanks for taking a look. I've posted a report in the "Tech Support".

There's a cosmetic bug there, but you should be able to proceed with the game if you uncheck a checkbox.

Peter

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 367
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/28/2014 2:06:13 PM   
joshuamnave

Are there any units in Kiel that the Finnish can't stack with? If so, there's the problem. If an air unit is in range to fly a mission, it will show up in the available units box but if it can't fly to the only relevant hexes because of stacking limitations, you will be unable to select it. This happens a lot in Russia, when you have (for example) a Romanian bomber and a Russian bomber providing ground support, and an Italian fighter in range to intercept.

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 368
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 10/28/2014 11:01:58 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

Are there any units in Kiel that the Finnish can't stack with? If so, there's the problem. If an air unit is in range to fly a mission, it will show up in the available units box but if it can't fly to the only relevant hexes because of stacking limitations, you will be unable to select it. This happens a lot in Russia, when you have (for example) a Romanian bomber and a Russian bomber providing ground support, and an Italian fighter in range to intercept.

Thanks. It turns out the problem was with disable phases and checkboxes being checked. "Check Out" http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3728178#

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 369
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/1/2014 3:44:08 PM   
rkr1958

I'm confused on movement costs. I'm moving a 4-4 TRS from Truk to an adjacent sea area, the Marianas. I can't put this TRS in the 3 box. 2 is the highest that MWiF will let me. Why is this move costing me 2 MPs instead of 1?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 370
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/1/2014 3:48:39 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

In the Presence of the enemy would be my first guess, but I don't see any Japanese in the sea zone. Is Truk in supply?

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 371
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/1/2014 3:58:50 PM   
Courtenay

Good question: There are only five reasons to reduce naval movement points I can think of:

1) There are naval units controlled by another major power in Truk;

2) Truk is out of supply; (Which, looking at the picture, is not the case.)

3) In the presence of the enemy; (No enemy, does not apply.)

4) Rough seas; (Seas aren't rough, and the option isn't coded yet.)

5) There is a bug.

So, either there are naval units controlled by another major power in Truk, there is a bug, or there is a rule I don't know.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 372
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/1/2014 4:40:02 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

In the Presence of the enemy would be my first guess, but I don't see any Japanese in the sea zone. Is Truk in supply?

Truk is in supply and there are not enemy units in the Marianas. But, if there were enemy units in that sea area would that matter anyway because the USN already has ships there, which were left there from the last turn?

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 11/1/2014 5:40:27 PM >

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 373
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/1/2014 4:41:25 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

Good question: There are only five reasons to reduce naval movement points I can think of:

5) There is a bug.

So, either there are naval units controlled by another major power in Truk, there is a bug, or there is a rule I don't know.
OK then, I'll post this in the Tech section.

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 374
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/1/2014 8:47:00 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

5) There is a bug.

OK then, I'll post this in the Tech section.

If you haven't been following the posts on this in the tech section, MWiF is working as it should with respect to this. The +1 MP was the result of an RN CA based at Truk. Even among close allies (i.e., RN and USN) I guess there's always some element of friction. This is what I love about (M)WiF! It gets to details that aren't present in other strategic level ww2 games. In all other strategic games that I've played, you basically treat the US and CW the same. Not so in MWiF. I love it!

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 11/1/2014 9:47:27 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 375
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/1/2014 10:51:05 PM   
paulderynck

It's a bit of a game mechanic IMO. It stops you from basing two humongous fleets in maybe the one major port you have closest to the Japanese - which is good, you ought to need two. Of course to make the rule simple, even one CW CA does the trick.

But from a realism perspective, I'm not too sure. I just finished reading a book about the Japanese mini-sub attack on Sydney harbor in May, 1942. The US CA Chicago was there along with a US DD. So were a number of Australian ships including one CA. For most major harbors it's hard to see there'd be an issue other than the amount of room to park ships.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 376
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/2/2014 3:53:01 AM   
rkr1958

Is there any way to use an offensive chit to double the attack factors for an amphibious invasion? If so, how?

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 377
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/2/2014 4:16:11 AM   
paulderynck

Yes. Two ways. Play the O-chit on an HQ that is involved in the invasion itself, or is located within o-chit range of the units you want to double. FREX an HQ in England can be used to double units within its re-org range in hexes - that are invading France across the English Channel from the HQ.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 378
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/2/2014 5:37:18 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

Yes. Two ways. Play the O-chit on an HQ that is involved in the invasion itself, or is located within o-chit range of the units you want to double. FREX an HQ in England can be used to double units within its re-org range in hexes - that are invading France across the English Channel from the HQ.
Is the only way to do this is with a land option and with the invasion forces already at sea? Is it possible to do this with a combined?

Post #: 379
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/2/2014 5:58:06 AM   
paulderynck

No it must be a Land Offensive so yes you have to get forces in position beforehand.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 380
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/2/2014 6:20:06 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

No it must be a Land Offensive so yes you have to get forces in position beforehand.

Or have forces of one nation invade off the transports of another nation. For example, CW declares a naval, US an O-chit land. The CW AMPHs move out to sea, pick up US units, and the US forces are doubled. The naval gunfire support will be CW, which will cause a -1 penalty if one is the Allied Combat Friction optional rule, but that one can live with that.

Post #: 381
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/2/2014 6:49:37 AM   
rkr1958

@paulderynck & @Courtenay -- O.K., I think I get it now. Thanks!

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 382
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/11/2014 12:24:48 AM   
rkr1958

This is not a question, but something that I just learned. I started learning (M)WiF back in February when I purchased MWiF. As most you probably know, I've been doing a global war scenario AAR, which I started in mid August, ~ 3 months ago. What I just learned is so basic, so important and so obvious, I'm sure, for those who learned WiF playing cardboard and paper. But it was far from obvious for me.

I just figured out that you can determine the type of ship built in the first cycle of naval construction. Up until, a few moments ago I though that was randomly selected. And it's been so frustrating to me as the allies as I've been wanting all the transports I could get but was getting other types of ships in this cycle. Now I find that all I had to do is to click on the type of ship I want and that's what I get. Of course, the specific ship within that class is still random but now I can start the building of badly needed transports.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 383
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/11/2014 1:08:10 AM   
Grotius

Yep. The UI could probably do a better job of highlighting this for you. Perhaps a brighter highlight around the unit selected, or a text message above the field of ships indicating that "you've chosen Transport x, click OK to confirm," or something. Alas, there are other priorities for now.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 384
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/11/2014 4:51:09 AM   
Courtenay

quote:

This is not a question, but something that I just learned. I started learning (M)WiF back in February when I purchased MWiF. As most you probably know, I've been doing a global war scenario AAR, which I started in mid August, ~ 3 months ago. What I just learned is so basic, so important and so obvious, I'm sure, for those who learned WiF playing cardboard and paper. But it was far from obvious for me.

I just figured out that you can determine the type of ship built in the first cycle of naval construction. Up until, a few moments ago I though that was randomly selected. And it's been so frustrating to me as the allies as I've been wanting all the transports I could get but was getting other types of ships in this cycle. Now I find that all I had to do is to click on the type of ship I want and that's what I get. Of course, the specific ship within that class is still random but now I can start the building of badly needed transports.

I am confused by your description.

The first cycle you select a type of ship class (Carrier, Light Carrier, Battleship, Cruiser, Transport, AMPH) and get a random unit from the units in the force pool for that class. I am not at all clear how you could want to build one type and get another.

The second cycle, you select naval construction, click on a ship, and build that specific ship. No randomness whatsoever -- once you have a ship in the construction pool, you build individual ships. If the US has Wyoming, Iowa, Alaska, and a TRS in the construction pool, you can pick which of these four units you want. Note that the costs and time would be quite different for these four units.

(Subs are exactly the same, except that one clicks on sub construction, not naval construction. The reason for the two different pools is that SUBs are a different gearing class for than surface ships, so MWiF keeps them separate.)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 385
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/11/2014 8:51:40 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

quote:

I am confused by your description.

The first cycle you select a type of ship class (Carrier, Light Carrier, Battleship, Cruiser, Transport, AMPH) and get a random unit from the units in the force pool for that class. I am not at all clear how you could want to build one type and get another.

The second cycle, you select naval construction, click on a ship, and build that specific ship. No randomness whatsoever -- once you have a ship in the construction pool, you build individual ships. If the US has Wyoming, Iowa, Alaska, and a TRS in the construction pool, you can pick which of these four units you want. Note that the costs and time would be quite different for these four units.

(Subs are exactly the same, except that one clicks on sub construction, not naval construction. The reason for the two different pools is that SUBs are a different gearing class for than surface ships, so MWiF keeps them separate.)

(in reply to Courtenay)
Post #: 386
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/11/2014 11:30:51 AM   
rkr1958

Well, obviously I'm confused and confusing too. But, here's my understanding, which could be completely wrong ...

It's a 2 step, or cycle, process to build a ship in MWiF:

1. Naval construction where you select ship type (e.g., large carrier, transport, battleship, cruiser).

2. Build a ship of that type (e.g., transport) and randomly get a ship of that type from the force pool. In step 2, if ships of that type are available it will show up as a separate category under "Units:" and "type".

Now my misunderstanding was in step 1. I didn't realize until yesterday evening that you could control the ship type in step 1 by clicking on that type (actually, a ship of that type) in the window to the bottom right where selecting "naval construction". I thought that was random too, that is, the selecting of the ship type in step 1 was random. Now I know that that can be specified.

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 387
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/11/2014 12:20:07 PM   
Joseignacio

OK, I didn't read the MWIF manuals completely so I couldn't tell, but this should be there. I knew because of WIF.

There are also other subdivisions (at least in WIF) that restrict the unit you'll get.

For example, in CVP you can select freely not only to select a CVP and get it randomly but in fact you can select to get one among those of value "0", or the ones valued "1", and later on "2".

IIRW this applies too to SCSs and CVs, depending on the first number (the cost of the first cycle is the discriminatory).

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 11/11/2014 1:22:59 PM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 388
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/11/2014 1:48:17 PM   
composer99

The pertinent rule text, in §24.1.5 is:

quote:

Sort your units into force pools. Each major power needs a separate force pool for each unit type. So, you need one each for CAV, INF, MIL, GAR, MOT, MTN, MAR, PARA, MECH, ARM, HQ-A, HQ-I, SUB, CL, CA, BB, CV, TRS, AMPH, Convoy points, FTR, LND, NAV and ATR. You only have 1 force pool for each type regardless of how many countries contribute units to your force pools.

Some of these unit types come with different costs. For example, some LND will cost you 4, some will cost you 5 and some will cost 6 build points. Separate each unit type into a sub-force pool for each cost (first cycle cost only in the case of naval units).

It's odd that the production panel shows that CVs, BBs, CAs, and CLs have their own row in the panel that you can select, while TRS and AMPH don't. (Also, given the second paragraph above, and the rules I am about to cite from §13.6.5, submarines should be split into multiple rows based on their first cycle cost.)

quote:

You must select all other units you build from the force pool randomly. You can nominate the type of unit you want to build, and sometimes even the cost you want to pay (e.g. you can choose a 2 point SCS rather than a 3 because they are in separate force pools ~ see 13.6.9). But within those parameters, the choice is random.

All that is to say that I don't know why the production panel in the screenshot displayed isn't already comprehensively breaking out units by force pool (as defined by the game rules). But it ought to.

~ Composer99

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 389
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 11/11/2014 2:31:49 PM   
Dabrion

I was wondering the same. Could it be that all the TRS/AMPH are either on the board or in the construction pool already and the null options are not rendered as row in the selection area?

All submarines cost 1bp on their first cycle when playing with SiF.

< Message edited by Dabrion -- 11/11/2014 3:34:56 PM >

“WiF is like sex: sure, it may give some practical results, but that's not why we do it.”
- Richard P. Feynman, 'WiF, Sex, and the Dual Slit Experiment'.

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 390
Page:   <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  11 12 [13] 14 15   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI