Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/31/2014 2:08:43 AM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Admittedly, my copy of the rules is old, but it doesn't say that in my version. It says that you may promote after

quote:

Instead, whenever Soviet land units are in land combat against any German controlled land unit(s), the Soviets may be able to "promote" one of their units to a Guards Banner unit of the same type as that involved in the battle (e.g. ARM for ARM or MOT for MOT etc.)

It's definitely German controlled, and to me, anyway, the debate centers around whether or not the notional is a "land unit", and the size designation only comes in as a secondary matter, for determining how much it's worth.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 121
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/31/2014 4:50:22 PM   
rkr1958

Do you ever clear out your AutoSave folder? I was doing some housekeeping and noticed that my AutoSave folder under Barbarossa->Saved Games had grown to 810MB and 106 files. I assume there'd be no harm in just deleting that folder if I had finished my game for that scenario?

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 122
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/31/2014 4:59:22 PM   
paulderynck

I would be leery of deleting the folder in case the game is looking for a particular directory. (One would hope it auto-creates if not there, but still, I'd be leery.)

But Select All and delete the contents should be no problem when you're sure they are no longer needed.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 5/31/2014 5:59:41 PM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 123
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/31/2014 5:07:40 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

I would be leery of deleting the folder in case the game is looking for a particular directory. (One would hope it auto-creates if not there, but still, I'd be leery.)

But Select All and delete the contents should be no problem when you're sure they are no longer needed.
Thanks. I guess in this day and age of massive harddrives (e.g., 2TB) that 800 MB is no big deal.

I'm showing my age here; but I remember when I thought that a 5MB harddrive was a monster. In fact my first computer, a Kaypro 1, didn't even have a harddrive, just 2 "real" 3 1/2' floppy drives. And, to go back further, my first work with computers involved card decks and no floppy or harddrives. Though they did have tape drives. Sorry ... lost focus for a while there ...

Post #: 124
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/31/2014 5:19:08 PM   
rkr1958

A trivial question, more just out of curiosity really,

When you restore a saved game, what significance is "Game #"? Is that truly a game # or is it a hash code of some sort? Is it there for syncing up when netplay and PBEM play are put in place?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 125
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/31/2014 7:45:33 PM   
AxelNL

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

Do you ever clear out your AutoSave folder? I was doing some housekeeping and noticed that my AutoSave folder under Barbarossa->Saved Games had grown to 810MB and 106 files. I assume there'd be no harm in just deleting that folder if I had finished my game for that scenario?

Did you do your manual saves as well in that folder? The autosaves should write over the older autosave files every turn, and should not grow anymore after playing a full turn with naval and land actions.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 126
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/31/2014 9:22:09 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

When you restore a saved game, what significance is "Game #"? Is that truly a game # or is it a hash code of some sort? Is it there for syncing up when netplay and PBEM play are put in place?

Pretty sure it is used for NetPlay.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 127
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/31/2014 10:22:48 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: AxelNL

quote:

Did you do your manual saves as well in that folder? The autosaves should write over the older autosave files every turn, and should not grow anymore after playing a full turn with naval and land actions.
My manual saves went to "default" folder. That makes sense about the autosave not growing once they're created. In fact, there was where I went to get the place partisan autosave.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 128
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 5/31/2014 11:02:19 PM   
joshuamnave

quote:

quote:

Not 100% true. I have a few save files in my autosave folders that are months old. I think some of the phases had their names changed or save points changed at various times. There are also a few phases that only come up and get saved under circumstances that don't happen every game, let alone every turn.

But that's nitpicking - in general, Axel is correct.

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 129
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/1/2014 1:17:27 PM   
Platon

I am so free to post this question here:

Is there an ingame function which shows the odds of a possible attack during the landmove step like the double leftclick on a hex in the landattack step does? This would help planing landbattles a lot I suppose.

(in reply to joshuamnave)
Post #: 130
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/1/2014 8:22:35 PM   
rkr1958

Subject: Finalize Production.

Background: I'm playing the Barbarossa scenario (again) as a "training" scenario to help me develop better tactics. I think it's working as I'm starting to grasp both the mechanics and strategies of air and land tactics in MWiF (WiF).

I set as a threshold for myself that I have to get a victory as the axis, against the fast start setup, before I move up to the global scenario(s).

One thing I have no clue about is the production part of the game. The screenshot below was taken at the end of the first turn of the Barbarossa scenario.

Question(s):It appears that the production phase for this short scenario is sorely (mostly?) focused on building militia, garrisons and infantry. Those units with build times of 2 turns or less. Is that correct? Is there anything I can tweak or fiddle with with respect to production that will help me learn this phase of the game? I noticed that Germany controls 25 factories; but only 20 are producing. What do I need to do to get the other 5 producing? Again, I know that won't have any impact on this game; I just want to learn more about this phase.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 6/1/2014 9:23:33 PM >

(in reply to Platon)
Post #: 131
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/2/2014 6:56:21 AM   
Joseignacio

Mil and Inf take 2 turns.

Garr and Terr only 1.

As in the real WWII what you need to have those factories running is more resources.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 6/3/2014 7:39:00 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 132
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/2/2014 6:58:12 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

Thinking it and finding it in the rules are different things.

True. I was itched by this comment and looked it up. It is not. There is no hint on which kind of unit it is.

Post #: 133
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/2/2014 7:22:48 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

The GBA rule says the combat has to affect a Div or a Corps. Yes it may "walk like a duck" but when the rules actually say it's a duck, then it will be a duck.

Ok, after seeing the actual rule, it seems it doesn't matter wether it's a div or not:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

Admittedly, my copy of the rules is old, but it doesn't say that in my version. It says that you may promote after

quote:

Instead, whenever Soviet land units are in land combat against any German controlled land unit(s), the Soviets may be able to "promote" one of their units to a Guards Banner unit of the same type as that involved in the battle (e.g. ARM for ARM or MOT for MOT etc.)

It's definitely German controlled, and to me, anyway, the debate centers around whether or not the notional is a "land unit", and the size designation only comes in as a secondary matter, for determining how much it's worth.

Post #: 134
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/2/2014 7:25:26 AM   
paulderynck

How many GBA points when there's no way of knowing if it's a corps or a div?

Paul

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 135
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/2/2014 7:55:05 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

Double these values for HQs and halve them for division sized units.

quote:

22.4 Optional units
22.4.1 Divisions (AsA/MiF/PoliF option 2)
Asia Aflame, Mech in Flames and Politics in Flames include divisions. Treat any brigade size unit as a division.

Partially I agree with you, I can see your point, just playing the devils advocate, here.

< Message edited by Joseignacio -- 6/2/2014 8:57:56 AM >

Post #: 136
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/3/2014 1:28:14 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

Subject: Finalize Production.

Background: I'm playing the Barbarossa scenario (again) as a "training" scenario to help me develop better tactics. I think it's working as I'm starting to grasp both the mechanics and strategies of air and land tactics in MWiF (WiF).

I set as a threshold for myself that I have to get a victory as the axis, against the fast start setup, before I move up to the global scenario(s).

One thing I have no clue about is the production part of the game. The screenshot below was taken at the end of the first turn of the Barbarossa scenario.

Question(s):It appears that the production phase for this short scenario is sorely (mostly?) focused on building militia, garrisons and infantry. Those units with build times of 2 turns or less. Is that correct? Is there anything I can tweak or fiddle with with respect to production that will help me learn this phase of the game? I noticed that Germany controls 25 factories; but only 20 are producing. What do I need to do to get the other 5 producing? Again, I know that won't have any impact on this game; I just want to learn more about this phase.

Not much. However, Germany might be able to take some resources from the USSR in order to put the rest of their factories to work.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 137
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/3/2014 1:31:19 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platon

Is there an ingame function which shows the odds of a possible attack during the landmove step like the double leftclick on a hex in the landattack step does? This would help planing landbattles a lot I suppose.

Sorry, but no.

You can mouse over a hex to see how many attack/defense factors are in the hex (those are shown in the Main form's Unit Data panel). But the effect of weather and terrain also need to be considered. Then there are all the shifts and modifiers for various unit types and nationalities.

Steve

(in reply to Platon)
Post #: 138
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/3/2014 1:36:06 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

My manual saves went to "default" folder. That makes sense about the autosave not growing once they're created. In fact, there was where I went to get the place partisan autosave.

See page 208ff of volume 2 of the Players Manual and page 102ff of volume 1.

Steve

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 139
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/3/2014 1:38:39 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

Pretty sure it is used for NetPlay.

Yes, it is needed for restarting saved NetPlay games. The program checks to make sure both players are restoring the same saved game (it also checks that the Next Entry numbers match).

< Message edited by Shannon V. OKeets -- 6/3/2014 2:39:14 AM >

Steve

Post #: 140
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/3/2014 11:47:23 AM   
Viktor_Kormel_slith

quote:

ORIGINAL: Platon

In my first contact with the game I thoug the same but I understand will be complex to code and the supplies or modifiers or other circumstances can change the odds..so I am afraid we keep to do head calculations in advance in a positive way think that is a good practice to our brains!

Sorry, for my bad english! "Wiffing" since 1990 to the tomb!

(in reply to Platon)
Post #: 141
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/5/2014 1:41:24 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

If I use extended range to deliver an A-bomb, do I halve the bomb's 25 factors when either port striking or strat bombing?

(in reply to Viktor_Kormel_slith)
Post #: 142
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/5/2014 5:01:56 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

See page 208ff of volume 2 of the Players Manual and page 102ff of volume 1.
OK -- I'm really impressed! I know that this may come as a shock but I've only skimmed over the 3 hardbound volumes, which I really love, that came with the game. The volume that I do spend most of my time with is, "The Rules As Coded".

So I turned to page 208-209 in volume 2 (as referenced). And there's section, "11.4.7 SAVED GAMES (GAM)" with figure 11.4.7 explaining in detail the saved files and their directory structure. In fact, the answer to my original question is given in the last paragraph of that section on page 209. "GAM files are enormous and you might want to periodically go through your collection and delete ones for which you no longer have any use."

These 3 volumes are, by far, the most complete and detailed documentation set on any software package (game or non-game) that I've purchased or has been purchased for me through work. Though, unfortunately, my work wouldn't spring for MWiF. I had to buy that one personally.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 6/5/2014 6:03:22 PM >

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 143
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/5/2014 5:04:57 PM   
paulderynck

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ur_Vile_WEdge

If I use extended range to deliver an A-bomb, do I halve the bomb's 25 factors when either port striking or strat bombing?

I believe the answer is yes, but I cannot recall the source for the ruling.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 6/5/2014 6:05:57 PM >

Paul

Post #: 144
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/8/2014 2:26:06 AM   
rkr1958

I finally graduated from "War College" and can move on to longer and more involved scenarios! I vowed that I wouldn't until I achieved victory as the axis in the Barbarossa scenario using the default fast start setup. And, I finally did on my 5th try.

In the first 2 games that I played I was clueless. In between these two games and games 3 and 4, I played and posted an AAR on the Guadalcanal scenario. After finishing that I felt I had gained a fair appreciation of MWiF tactics and moved back to the Barbarossa scenario to try them out. I did play much better, tactically in games 3 and 4; but fell short mainly because I was too conservative on the attack. As the axis, in the first 2 game turns I would only attack when I could get 7:1 odds on the Blitzkrieg table or 10:1 on the assault table. While I did gain ground, turns 1 and 2 ended too quickly and then the fall and winter weather set in.

In this last game I was more aggressive and did achieve a breakthrough in the north near the end of turn 2. Unlike the axis historically, I decided to push on towards Moscow, capturing that city on a 4:1 odds attack, instead of pivoting south to pocket the Russians in the south and capture Kiev. I was still able to capture Kiev during turn 4.

I need to read up (again) on a few of the global AARs to get insight into the production and strategic aspect of this game.

Attachment (1)

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 6/8/2014 1:15:45 PM >

Post #: 145
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/8/2014 11:10:51 AM   
AxelNL

Congrats!

Good luck with your first GW campaign!

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 146
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/8/2014 10:52:22 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

Congrats!

Good luck with your first GW campaign!
Thanks!

In preparation for my first ever global game I went through the interactive tutorials on Production & Politics and on Production Planning. I'm now watching the video tutorials on those two. I finished the video on Production & Politics and now I've just started watching the one on Production Planning. I think I'm starting to grasp production in the abstract. I know it's not this simple but my understanding is that resources (oil and non-oil) flow to factories, which produce build points and those build points are used to buy units and offensive chits. I'm also starting to get a feel at a high level how oil has an impact. In very simple terms, if you run out of oil then certain units won't get reorganized at the end (or beginning?) of the turn.

My question concerns German production. As I remember they had 24 factories producing with a 0.75 multiplier that yielded 18 build points. In the example, the German's were sending 5 oil points (I believe) to run 5 of the factories. They had 2 idle, non oil resources that they swapped out for 2 of the oil resources, which they saved. My question is given how critical oil is to the axis, wouldn't it be better to save all the oil and let 3 factories sit idle until you got more non-oil resources to run them?

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 6/9/2014 12:11:32 AM >

(in reply to AxelNL)
Post #: 147
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/9/2014 2:20:57 PM   
Centuur

Generally speaking, it is wise for each Axis power to save one oil extra each turn above the amount needed for reorganisation during the early war years. Now, this is easier said than done (especially for Italy), but when the war progresses you get more and more oil dependent units on the map. You don't want to build "Kamikazes" if you get my drift. From 1943 onwards, saving oil will become very difficult for the Axis, since the pressure will get so high, that you will need the precious stocked oil for reorganisation to make sure you make things as difficult as possible for the Allies.

Oil is a commodity, of which the Axis tend to run short of very fast, during the last year of the war. There comes the day, that the Me-262 can't fly anymore, because you lack oil...

Peter

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 148
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/9/2014 6:59:53 PM   
paulderynck

When the PM is lower than one, in an Oil game if you have to burn two oil to get one BP you're better to save the oil instead.

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 149
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 6/9/2014 10:08:35 PM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

While I do generally agree with Paul's point, don't forget that an extra unit now is often worth more than an extra unit 2 years from now. SOmetimes having that early, overwhelming advantage, especially for Germany, is vital.

Post #: 150
Page:   <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  3 4 [5] 6 7   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI