Matrix Games Forums

Forums  Register  Login  Photo Gallery  Member List  Search  Calendars  FAQ 

My Profile  Inbox  Address Book  My Subscription  My Forums  Log Out

RE: New to the game - Basic Questions

View related threads: (in this forum | in all forums)

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/5/2014 12:58:22 PM   
Joseignacio

Now, what do you think about this?

I was thinking in my current WIF game, I could maybe invade Belgium in a surprise impulse, if the British are not at sea in the British Channel (now they are not), and there is a good weather (very doubtful Jan/Feb) I could invade Belgium close to the French Border with a Corps and one div, using my AMPH and a cruiser.

Two questions:

1- The hex would be in a French unit ZOC, Would the French give the notional a +1 or no because the Belgians are surprised?

2- I understand that the very invasion is a combat, ¿so I couldn't join for the attack to Belgian units in the adjacent hex? ¿Or is it an overrun and I could join the attack?

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 241
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/5/2014 9:27:40 PM   
Centuur

1. It gets already the +1 from the Belgian units they are adjacent too. However, if there were only French units adjacent, the notional would also get the +1, since those units are friendly. Calculation is therefore: 1 for the notional, +1 for the adjacent Corps (French, Belgian or CW, doesn't matter), -1 for the surprise makes it 1.

2. An invasion is an attack. So you can't join the attack in an adjacent hex.

Peter

(in reply to Joseignacio)
Post #: 242
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/6/2014 4:07:24 AM   
paulderynck

Agree on 1, not sure I understand what the question is on 2. If the hex to be invaded can also be attacked overland, then it is the same attack. Is that pertinent?

Paul

(in reply to Centuur)
Post #: 243
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/6/2014 6:54:22 AM   
Joseignacio

Centuur: We are playing that there is no ZOC for surprised minors, so it would be the French ZOC only. Ok, 1 point.

Paulderynck: The question in 2 is wether the invasion was an attack or a move, since the notional has a value 0. Or an overrun. The invaded hex wouldn't be the attacked one, I would invade an empty hex and attack the adjacent along with other units.

Anyway 2) is answered in the rules, I am afraid:

quote:

Each unit which invades counts as 1 land move. Each invasion counts as 1 land attack.

(in reply to paulderynck)
Post #: 244
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/7/2014 1:46:16 AM   
rkr1958

Does it matter where oil is saved? Specifically, can the CW save oil in India and use that saved oil to reorganize units in England?

Post #: 245
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/7/2014 2:25:46 AM   
paulderynck

Yes as long as a basic supply path of any length can reach the oil from the unit to be re-orged.

You can save oil in any port or city you control, either directly, by aligning, or by conquest. That's what makes Iraq and Persia important for the CW and Russia. Whichever one is short of oil can ship to the other in large quantities without needing convoys.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 246
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/7/2014 12:21:10 PM   
Mayhemizer_slith

Resources can be railed through neutral minor countries but units not, correct?

If Italy invades to Syria, can Germany rail units through Turkey to Syria (if Germany controls all Balkans)?

If your attack is going really well, it's an ambush.

-Murphy's war law

Post #: 247
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/7/2014 12:26:27 PM   
Joseignacio

Resources can, units not. Correct.

Germany cannot rail units through neutral Turkey. But it could use the Italian transports.

(in reply to Mayhemizer_slith)
Post #: 248
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/7/2014 7:18:21 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mayhemizer

Resources can be railed through neutral minor countries but units not, correct?

If Italy invades to Syria, can Germany rail units through Turkey to Syria (if Germany controls all Balkans)?

There is a special rule for German units railing through a neutral Sweden. Several conditions need to be met first though.

Steve

Perfection is an elusive goal.

(in reply to Mayhemizer_slith)
Post #: 249
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/7/2014 11:22:57 PM   
paulderynck

But only Sweden.

Paul

(in reply to Shannon V. OKeets)
Post #: 250
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/8/2014 12:01:23 AM   
rkr1958

Thanks guys. Follow up on my oil (last) question. Is there any way to select which (saved) oil points get used for reorganization?

Post #: 251
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/8/2014 4:04:25 AM   
Braig

Highlight the unit to reorganize in the left pane, then highlight the saved oil, or the resource itself, in the right pane.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 252
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/8/2014 8:38:24 AM   
Joseignacio

quote:

ORIGINAL: paulderynck

But only Sweden.

And only germans.

Post #: 253
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/9/2014 10:07:44 PM   
rkr1958

Do the limits (and counts) for activities differ depending on whether or not a country is at war or neutral?

Specifically, when I did a naval move of a single stack of several ships and transports for Japan, who's at war, that move counted as 1 naval activity. However, when I try to do that for a neutral Italy I get the message, "Exceeds naval move limits." The game will only let me move 1 ship or transport and that's it. Is that correct?

Attachment (1)

Post #: 254
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/9/2014 10:11:28 PM   
Braig

Correct. A neutral countries limits are the same as their at war combined action limits, however, each ship that moves counts as a naval move. so no stacks.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 255
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/9/2014 10:33:17 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Braig

Correct. A neutral countries limits are the same as their at war combined action limits, however, each ship that moves counts as a naval move. so no stacks.

Thanks!

(in reply to Braig)
Post #: 256
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 12:14:49 AM   
rkr1958

I'm in the 7 impulse of the first turn of a Global war scenario. It just occurred to me that I haven't called out the reserves for the CW. Whatever I did, I didn't mean to. I thought last allied impulse the game would ask me if I wanted to call out the reserves for the CW, but it didn't. What do I need to do to get them?

P.S. The game just flew by the "Call Out Reserves" for the CW in this impulse without giving me a chance to call them out. Is this a bug or have I done something to disable this for the CW?

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 8/10/2014 1:19:26 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 257
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 12:25:27 AM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: rkr1958

I'm in the 7 impulse of the first turn of a Global war scenario. It just occurred to me that I haven't called out the reserves for the CW. Whatever I did, I didn't mean to. I thought last allied impulse the game would ask me if I wanted to call out the reserves for the CW, but it didn't. What do I need to do to get them?

P.S. The game just flew by the "Call Out Reserves" for the CW in this impulse without giving me a chance to call them out. Is this a bug or have I done something to disable this for the CW?
I had my game saved at the very start and I went through the first axis impulse again and I did NOT get a chance to call the reserves for the CW. So either I did something during the setup for the CW to disable this for the CW or this is a bug?

I'm going to go ahead and post this (with a saved game) in the tech support forum.

< Message edited by rkr1958 -- 8/10/2014 1:32:17 AM >

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 258
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 1:16:41 AM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

I had my game saved at the very start and I went through the first axis impulse again and I did NOT get a chance to call the reserves for the CW. So either I did something during the setup for the CW to disable this for the CW or this is a bug?

I'm going to go ahead and post this (with a saved game) in the tech support forum.

What version of MWIF are you running? There was a problem like this quite a while ago, but no one has reported this for at least several months now (or longer).

Steve

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 259
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 2:05:33 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

What version of MWIF are you running? There was a problem like this quite a while ago, but no one has reported this for at least several months now (or longer).

Post #: 260
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 6:00:10 PM   
Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I replied to this in the Tech Support forum.

Steve

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 261
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 8:55:32 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

I replied to this in the Tech Support forum.
I saw (before I replied above). Thanks!!!

Though unnecessary, I replied for completeness (i.e., to tie up loose ends). It's one of my many character flaws.

Post #: 262
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 9:04:32 PM   
rkr1958

I'm confused on when an action just makes it harder for the US to declare war on Germany and Italy and when such an action makes it impossible for them. Which situation is this? This decision prompt is for the USSR claim on Bessarabia.

Attachment (1)

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 263
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 9:13:47 PM   
composer99

This situation could make it impossible.

Basically, the US is no longer able to declare war on an Axis major power if it is forced to remove markers from either its corresponding entry or tension pool and has no markers to remove.

In your specific case, denying the USSR claim to Bessarabia is a Germany/Italy-focused US entry action with a value of 18. That means the US must remove 1 marker from its entry pool and has an 80% chance of removing a second marker. As you have only one marker in the US entry pool that means there is the possibility that the US will never be allowed to declare war on Germany & Italy.

~ Composer99

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 264
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 9:19:55 PM   
rkr1958

quote:

ORIGINAL: composer99

This situation could make it impossible.

Basically, the US is no longer able to declare war on an Axis major power if it is forced to remove markers from either its corresponding entry or tension pool and has no markers to remove.

In your specific case, denying the USSR claim to Bessarabia is a Germany/Italy-focused US entry action with a value of 18. That means the US must remove 1 marker from its entry pool and has an 80% chance of removing a second marker. As you have only one marker in the US entry pool that means there is the possibility that the US will never be allowed to declare war on Germany & Italy.
Thanks. 20% is too high for my tastes. So the smart play is to wait until there are at least 2 markers in the US entry pool then?

(in reply to composer99)
Post #: 265
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/10/2014 10:20:18 PM   
paulderynck

Sometimes the smart play is to not be aggressive with the Allies at all. If you have a bunch of high value chits (not in this case against Ge/It, obviously), why risk losing any of them? The US entering the war a turn earlier, and perhaps getting a Surprise Impulse on Japan; is well worth the Russkis not getting Bessarabia.

< Message edited by paulderynck -- 8/10/2014 11:20:48 PM >

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 266
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/11/2014 12:04:36 AM   
Ur_Vile_WEdge

Yes, and as a corollary to this, it's why I almost always put all 3 of my starting USE chits into the Ge/It pool.

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 267
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/16/2014 5:56:56 PM   
rkr1958

It's start of the Mar/Apr 1940 turn. The axis win the roll for the initiative, the weather clears and the Germans are ready to roll into the Low Countries. What surprises me is the Impulse Advance = 2. It's fine everywhere except for rain in the arctic. This weather results in an impulse advance = 2?

Attachment (1)

(in reply to Ur_Vile_WEdge)
Post #: 268
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/16/2014 6:51:31 PM   
paulderynck

Yes, that's what the weather chart says if (without an adder from the last impulse of J/F) an 8 is rolled in M/A. You needed a 9 or 10.

Paul

(in reply to rkr1958)
Post #: 269
RE: New to the game - Basic Questions - 8/16/2014 9:34:57 PM   
Courtenay

You may look at the weather chart by going to the Help menu on MWiF's main form, clicking on "Charts from WiFFE", and then, once your .pdf reader opens, clicking on the Weather Chart entry.

The "Charts from WiFFE" also gives you the "It's War" table, the strat bombing table, a chart of the production multiples, and many other helpful charts.

I thought I knew how to play this game....

Post #: 270
Page:   <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> WIF School >> RE: New to the game - Basic Questions Page: <<   < prev  7 8 [9] 10 11   next >   >>
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI